Dallas Cowboys 2018 Regular Season Thread

Vic Mackey

1 minute ago, Trey3216 said:

To be fair, that was an absolute horseshit call on Gregory for offside

Agreed.  If that was the only one, not the three penalties against him, with one being monumentally, galactically idiotic.

I think Dak still has potential for greatness.  All of his flaws are fixable.  He sees the field well, makes pretty good decisions, and is accurate most of the time.  Most important (to me at least) is that he spreads the ball around to multiple receivers, which means he sees the entire field, reads defenses, and doesn't stare down receivers.  That alone is (in my opinion) the biggest thing that separates NFL quality QBs from the rest.

As I mentioned, his flaws are fixable.  When the pocket collapses he needs to make a quicker decision to run, throw it away, or tuck it in and take the sack.  He needs to feel the pressure better and tuck the ball in all circumstances.  He needs to be more consistent with his accuracy.  These are all things that can be learned with experience and coaching. 

I really wish Jerry would hire a real QB coach instead of letting Kellen Moore play coach because he's "a good kid."  There is no way a guy who is only a few years out of college and has proven unable to play the position at the NFL level is qualified to teach the position.  He needs to cut his teeth in college as a coach and then as a lower level assistant in the NFL before he's qualified to teach a young guy like Dak to realize his full potential.  Bring in a real QB coach to help fix the flaws and release the beast!

12 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Great team win. Hopefully we can Eagles/Foles type run. I think Dak is always gonna hold the team back unfortunately. 

I'm not giving up on Dak. There are very few QBs in the league who could have made that first down run. About six yards out, making the down marker looked completely hopeless. He's strong. It looks like he's still on a learning curve. That last fumble wasn't his fault. The pass rusher was all over him in almost at the snap. Dak needs to take off earlier on some of those runs. Maybe Linehan can find a way to take away some of that up the middle pressure.

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I think Dak still has potential for greatness.  All of his flaws are fixable.  He sees the field well, makes pretty good decisions, and is accurate most of the time.  Most important (to me at least) is that he spreads the ball around to multiple receivers, which means he sees the entire field, reads defenses, and doesn't stare down receivers.  That alone is (in my opinion) the biggest thing that separates NFL quality QBs from the rest.

As I mentioned, his flaws are fixable.  When the pocket collapses he needs to make a quicker decision to run, throw it away, or tuck it in and take the sack.  He needs to feel the pressure better and tuck the ball in all circumstances.  He needs to be more consistent with his accuracy.  These are all things that can be learned with experience and coaching. 

I really wish Jerry would hire a real QB coach instead of letting Kellen Moore play coach because he's "a good kid."  There is no way a guy who is only a few years out of college and has proven unable to play the position at the NFL level is qualified to teach the position.  He needs to cut his teeth in college as a coach and then as a lower level assistant in the NFL before he's qualified to teach a young guy like Dak to realize his full potential.  Bring in a real QB coach to help fix the flaws and release the beast!

Some of his problems might fixable. Quicker decisions could come from more reps or he just might not be a quick decision maker. Not everyone learns pocket presence no matter how well prepared. Not everyone feels the game around the no matter how well prepared.  Experience doesn’t seem to be making him markedly better. I’d be concerned about that. 

I should have added that he's also working with a duct tape offensive line and he's dealing with more pressure than at any time in his career.  It's may be good for him long term to learn how to deal with that sort of pressure.  Like I said, he needs to make quicker decisions to take off, throw it away, or tuck and take the sack at least maintaining possession.

2 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

I'm not giving up on Dak. There are very few QBs in the league who could have made that first down run. About six yards out, making the down marker looked completely hopeless. He's strong. It looks like he's still on a learning curve. That last fumble wasn't his fault. The pass rusher was all over him in almost at the snap. Dak needs to take off earlier on some of those runs. Maybe Linehan can find a way to take away some of that up the middle pressure.

He may have to wait until next year on the up the middle pressure.  Frederick makes a huge difference 

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I should have added that he's also working with a duct tape offensive line and he's dealing with more pressure than at any time in his career.  It's may be good for him long term to learn how to deal with that sort of pressure.  Like I said, he needs to make quicker decisions to take off, throw it away, or tuck and take the sack at least maintaining possession.

He will likely never have an OL as good as his rookie year again.

12 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

He will likely never have an OL as good as his rookie year again.

I agree.  I hope this year has taught Jerry to pay more for defense.  I agreed with beefing up the OL but we can't pay them all without sacrificing elsewhere and defense is winning us games right now.  Dak will learn, but the OL will need to do better than it is currently.

8 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I agree.  I hope this year has taught Jerry to pay more for defense.  I agreed with beefing up the OL but we can't pay them all without sacrificing elsewhere and defense is winning us games right now.  Dak will learn, but the OL will need to do better than it is currently.

Definitely need to pay DLaw on March 1.   Then be looking for a quick twitch wide body to play DT.  This could be a SB defense this year, let alone with some added beef up front.  

LVE has a damn good chance at winning ROY.  Kid is just a fantastic player.  

7 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Any chance Fredrick makes it back this year?  I’m assuming no, but have not heard an update lately (which is why I am assuming no).

Everything I've seen/heard is that he still doesn't have all of his feeling in his feet, so it's highly unlikely he would even be able to get in shape anytime soon in order to play. 

35 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Definitely need to pay DLaw on March 1.   Then be looking for a quick twitch wide body to play DT.  This could be a SB defense this year, let alone with some added beef up front.  

LVE has a damn good chance at winning ROY.  Kid is just a fantastic player.  

I don't follow much of the rest of the league but I can't imagine he's not on the short list. What other rookies are playing this well?

Just now, 'stache said:

I don't follow much of the rest of the league but I can't imagine he's not on the short list. What other rookies are playing this well?

This was an outstanding defensive rookie class.

Denzel Ward in Cleveland, Darius Leonard in Indianapolis, Bradley Chubb in Denver, and Derwin James in Los Angeles all have a case.

LVE is probably the favorite right now.

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

Derwin James is playing very well.   

LVE may not just win DROY, he has an argument for DPOY and 1st Team All-Pro