Who are your top 3 realistic choices to replace Herman?

Beau Vine

6 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Why stop at 10?  I seriously do not think there's an amount of money we could offer Jimbo that they would not match and exceed.  Their entire existence now is based on their hatred of us and pride in Jimbo.  The idea of him leaving them for us is something they simply couldn't let happen no matter the cost.

I think if we offer 25 million a year, they'll offer 26, and they'd sell off half the campus to make it happen if they had to.  We could bankrupt every one of their bmd's and the entire university with the right offer. 

giphy.gif

23 minutes ago, maninblack said:

I don't think he's worth it but it would be hilarious to pin aggy into a corner by offering Jimbo $10M/year. Make em pay for not putting a buyout in his contract. They'd match and be even more broke.

That is a great idea as long as we aren't actually going to hire him if our bluff got called.   But it's aggy, we know they won't call, just go all in, just saying if.   

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

What about Malzhan?  Seems like a shaky relationship with AD/administration every year.  I think he'd roll offensively here (believe he calls the plays), probably would keep Hand, and he always fields good defenses.

I’m thinking this would be the pick.

One of the problems is that there are questions on every single name on the list. There is no slam dunk hire. In fact, two years ago Herman looked as close to a slam dunk hire as any other name on the list. Like OU, we really need people who know what they are doing to figure out the right hire. The casual fan just doesn’t have enough insight into the candidates.

I give OU huge credit for recognizing that Stoops was the best candidate available when they hired him. I’m hoping they didn’t get it right on Riley too, but it sure looks like they nailed that one also.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

This

Yep.  Go $10M/yr.  Even consider $12, but keep the term @ 5 years.  Dabo is worth it.  I still think Carroll is as well.  And FFS, do a better job of insulating the process than we did with Saban.  The guy was on the hook.  This was moving in our direction, and all we had to do was keep things quiet and let it play out.  But OH, NO...shit got out (FU Fat Mack, I know it was you), and of course we shit the bed.  

28 minutes ago, Get ln My Van said:

I have a feeling that we’ll play well the rest of the season and Herman will be here for a few more years at least, but in the likely event that I’m wrong I wouldn’t mind us taking a look at Seth Littrell over in Denton.

Texas fans are questioning the hire of Tom Herman after two years at a school like Houston.  I don't think consideration of the coach at North fucking Texas will go over well.

• Like 2

On 9/10/2018 at 2:38 AM, MaybeACoordinator said:

3. Some of you don't want a fat fuck, so that eliminates Patterson and certainly Mangino.

I don't care how fat or ugly they are, they couldn't look any worse, couldn't be any more embarrassing than Herman waddling on the field in that orange dress he wore last Saturday.

On 9/10/2018 at 2:38 AM, MaybeACoordinator said:

Seriously, Leach is the only one who makes sense to the Surly Hive Mind.

1. You want a guy with a proven track record at a P5 school. He has that at two of them.

2. Few of you have mentioned this, but Leach has a proven track record recruiting Texas.

3. Some of you don't want a fat fuck, so that eliminates Patterson and certainly Mangino. I'm alright with not hiring Mangino because he is also a giant asshole, but seriously? Patterson is too fat to coach here? You'd rather lose to him every year because he doesn't have a 26.2 (or whatver) sticker in the back window of his SUV?

4. We're Texas. We should fucking stir things up. Our press conferences shouldn't be the usual Mack era coach speak or Herman's narcissistic bullshit.

5. Aggy would flip their collective wigs. They dread him like no other man on earth. He is the Jimbo-Neutralizer. 

This.  All of this.

• Like 2

On 9/10/2018 at 2:02 PM, Bill Lumbergh said:

He has yet to field a competent offense and I don't want him here until he proves he can.  I loved boom as a DC here, but it's hard to understand why anyone wants him as a hc based on his tenure as a hc so far. 

I’m confused why Boom gets mentioned and not Harsin. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I’m confused why Boom gets mentioned and not Harsin. 

I’m with you. Harsin’s offense wouldn’t be a drastic change in personnel or philipsophy if I remember right and he seemed to understand personnel decisions and playcalling. Maybe in the scenario where Herman is gone, Orlando stays

I like coach Boom, but I don’t think I could justify trusting him to make the right hire on offense after the last 4-5 years. 

The problem with choosing a next head coach is that our last 2 hires have been touted as “the next up and coming badasses” in the collegiate ranks. If Herman’s leash does end up being short, and we find ourselves on a coach hunt once more, I’m not sure our recruiting could survive another narrative like that with the selection of another “promising” up and comer. We can’t afford to keep resetting the clock and expect to attract top recruits. Not at the level that we should for our program. Whether we like it or not, the landscape has changed and I feel like we’d be left in a position where we’d have to go out and money whip a high profile name to ward off any program apathy with recruits. Obviously, the ideal scenario would be for Herman to get it together and come through for the sake of continuity (and our collective sanity), but I feel like this is where we are.

Dunno if I'd go for Boom today. But in 2010, he was "Head Coach-in-waiting", he convinced the big dogs to make Mack sack GDGD, and he wanted to replace GDGD with Dana Fucking Holgorsen. I'm convinced Holgo would've ben on the next plane to Austin, would've figured something out, some way to put some fucking points on the board. Another year or two of decent recruiting (not a one hundred percent given, but... we're Texas, no?) and we would have been kicking ass. Let fucking Holgo live in the Driskill and have room service sending up cheerleaders by the bushel, let him spend Sundays and Mondays in Vegas, what the fuck ever. I do believe that would've worked out a fuck of a lot better than life its own self did.

Take Boom today? Prolly not... 

We need to hire someone who hires his staff with ZERO emotional attachment because other teams are going to poach his assistants for higher gigs, or because he fires them if they suck.  

i would nominate myself because I don't have friends since I hate people, and I will fire the fuck out of some deadbeats.

Ill just start with firing mehringer and warehime.   They suck   

Reassign Beck to WR because that's the only thing he's done well in the past and he's actually a decent recruiter.  Until, of course, I can find someone to do his job better and fire him  

Reassign Giles to a consulting job on DL and get a fucking recruiter who can also coach.  Everyone else is on notice until I figure out what they do, find their replacement, or they can prove they are worth keeping. 

Coach BOOM!! 44-33 as a head coach. I'm sure it's even worse at Florida, but at South Carolina he's 0-2 against his primary rival (56-7 and 34-10) and 0-3 against his secondary rival, including a 41-17 depantsing this year. But he got all fired up and got a boo boo on his head and was bleeding! 

I'd you say coach BOOM then punch yourself in the face and hope CDC doesn't think like you. 

• Like 1

I think the next coach (if reasonably unproven) needs to have served (in any manner, including time as a GA) under multiple great football minds. This seems obvious, but you'd be surprised at how many head coach hires don't fit this bill. Saban was a coach under (most notably) Don James, Earle Bruce, and Belichick. Urban served under Earle Bruce and Sonny Lubick. Kirby Smart served under Bobby Bowden, Mark Richt, and Saban. When I look at potential candidates, two that fit this bill come to mind: Brent Venables and Mel Tucker. Venables has served under Bill Snyder, Stoops, and now Dabo. Mel Tucker has served under Saban, Jim Tressel and now Kirby. 

Looking at past great hires by other programs, this holds. Pete Carroll served under Lou Holtz and Bruce. Bob Stoops served under Hayden Fry, Snyder, and Steve Spurrier. Mark Dantonio served under Bruce, Tressel, and Saban. Lincoln Riley served under Mike Leach and Stoops. Jimbo served under Saban and Bobby Bowden. Les Miles served under Schembechler and Bill McCartney.

Of course this prerequisite doesn't always mean a coach will pan out. Charlie served under Lou Holtz and Urban Meyer. Weis served under Parcells and Belichick.

Sometimes, a guy who pans out never served under anyone notable. Such coaches are Gary Patterson, James Franklin, and Mack Brown.

The only notable coach Herman served under is Urban Meyer. I'm thinking we should stay away from the Urban Meyer tree from now on.

4 hours ago, George Clooney said:

Sometimes, a guy who pans out never served under anyone notable. Such coaches are Gary Patterson, James Franklin, and Mack Brown..

Another of these was Paul Bryant.  Even though he never had a win vs the Longhorns (DKR), he could coach like hell.  Still he paid dues at Vandy, Maryland, Kentucky and A&M over what, 17 or 18 years before going to coach Alabama in 1958.  I did get an uneasy feeling seeing the Tom Herman Kissing Booth Pregame Queue when he was at Cougar High.  Is he still doing that?

9 hours ago, George Clooney said:

I think the next coach (if reasonably unproven) needs to have served (in any manner, including time as a GA) under multiple great football minds. This seems obvious, but you'd be surprised at how many head coach hires don't fit this bill. Saban was a coach under (most notably) Don James, Earle Bruce, and Belichick. Urban served under Earle Bruce and Sonny Lubick. Kirby Smart served under Bobby Bowden, Mark Richt, and Saban. When I look at potential candidates, two that fit this bill come to mind: Brent Venables and Mel Tucker. Venables has served under Bill Snyder, Stoops, and now Dabo. Mel Tucker has served under Saban, Jim Tressel and now Kirby. 

Looking at past great hires by other programs, this holds. Pete Carroll served under Lou Holtz and Bruce. Bob Stoops served under Hayden Fry, Snyder, and Steve Spurrier. Mark Dantonio served under Bruce, Tressel, and Saban. Lincoln Riley served under Mike Leach and Stoops. Jimbo served under Saban and Bobby Bowden. Les Miles served under Schembechler and Bill McCartney.

Of course this prerequisite doesn't always mean a coach will pan out. Charlie served under Lou Holtz and Urban Meyer. Weis served under Parcells and Belichick.

Sometimes, a guy who pans out never served under anyone notable. Such coaches are Gary Patterson, James Franklin, and Mack Brown.

The only notable coach Herman served under is Urban Meyer. I'm thinking we should stay away from the Urban Meyer tree from now on.

Tucker doesn't have any college HC experience (half a season NFL) but he would be my runaway choice for a DC.  I think he's one of the very best in the biz right now. 

I would prefer to see a proven head coach than us going long on another guy's projected ceiling, which is what we did with Herman. I think our appetite for former Ohio State staffers is probably reduced by their off-season scandal and by Herman's first 15 games. But, if Ohio State blows TCU out this weekend, prepare for a lot of questions about Ryan Day, their interim HC while Urban Meyer is suspended.

I would like us to go after Gus Malzahn, but that's because I like his offense, not because I think he'd be an ideal fit or would necessarily be the answer to recruiting. 

40 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

But, if Ohio State blows TCU out this weekend, prepare for a lot of questions about Ryan Day, their interim HC while Urban Meyer is suspended.

Why? Because he can lead a program built by Urban Meyer to a 3-0 start over two patsies and TCU? Seems thin.

I'm liking the Pete Carroll idea more and more. Bring him in, get 4-5 seasons out of him and have his successor teed up for when he retires into the sunset. Or money-whip Chris Peterson, or try and convince Bryan Harsin to come back to Austin.