Game Atmosphere

blacklab

I wasn't aware there were such strict rules on the OU Sucks chant.

For example, in 2008 I would have been saying that shit every time every game regardless of opponent. 

I think when we've beaten them that year or when OU has befallen embarrassment it is perfectly acceptable.

I wasn't aware there were such strict rules on the OU Sucks chant.

For example, in 2008 I would have been saying that shit every time every game regardless of opponent. 
I think when we've beaten them that year or when OU has befallen embarrassment it is perfectly acceptable.

You would be wrong.

And if you feel that way you should hit the road for a 100 mike trip to the east where you can sing a song that officially includes words about a school that they don’t even play any longer.
  • Like 2

Such a no class move by the students. Last year at USC no booing when Texas entered the stadium and defiantly  no FU Texas chant. 

Go fuck yourself. Last year at USC your shitty band wouldn’t stop playing for 1 second to let our band play the Eyes after a great game. Your band got to play this year.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

You would be wrong.

And if you feel that way you should hit the road for a 100 mike trip to the east where you can sing a song that officially includes words about a school that they don’t even play any longer.

Or you could chill and I'll say whatever I damn well please since I don't know you. 

Or do I need to send you a Longhorn tattooed on my dick to prove my fandom?

I've been parking in the pink lot next to soccer/track stadium for the last ~10 years.  The lot usually doesn't have the biggest tailgating scene and has cars still pulling in when we start walking to stadium.  This week there were fraternity tailgates all over the place with giant tents and DJs.  I wasn't at Tulsa game but that definitely didn't happen in previous years.  The parking lot was packed with students hours before the game started.
That frat has been there in the middle for the past few years. They usually fade out at the end of the season.

1 minute ago, TexasGolf said:

How was tonight , crowd / noise wise at dkr compared to usc?

Did not visit Bevo Blvd. this week, was at a tailgate. Crowd was definitely not at full capacity, you could see swaths of open seats in the student section and in the nosebleeds (plus the usual blue-hair empty seats after halftime).

But goddamn, it was loud after Caden Sterns made that second-half interception. You could feel the crowd start to truly believe in that moment.

It did seem like the advertising / cheap tricks crept up a little bit for this game.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Game atmosphere was great. Was up in the nosebleeds, had some TCU fans tell me to shut up because "they can't hear you anyway". It was oh so sweet watching them slink off in the 4th quarter after the LJH TD.

You had TCU fans tell you to shut up in our stadium? Did they leave on stretchers? 

you can tell there is a change even on TV and I credit a lot of that to Del that figured out the fans are interested in football not other rocket man bullshit and taco bell commercials screaming at you

lets face it after Maryland and even Tulsa there was no reason for fans to be looking to go crazy at DKRTMSJJF and yet they did even when the USC game was not clearly in the bag

the atmosphere is just different now that there is an AD in place that understands how to gently pull money from fans pockets while the fans are excited to pay it instead of an AD that thinks you rape the fans for money and they accept it no matter how shitty the product on the field is

Edited by ButtFumble
  • Like 1

The improvements this game were dramatic. The general admissions was handled much better this time around. We were stopped before entering the tunnel, letting us know the section had been filled. We were informed to go up to the next section. Very nice flow and easy to know where to go. In the student section, we almost unanimously chanted MEES. There were a couple of drunk frat guys around who kept chanting OU Sucks. My girlfriend, who has never been to a football game in her life, asked why they were chanting that when we weren't even playing them. We started numerous "USC Sucks" chants throughout the game. My only complaint was some asshole was running and knocking a fresh Shiner out of my hand as I was going back to my seat. Shit spewed all over my shirt and wasted half a beer

Jersey game on point though?

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Crowd was definitely not at full capacity, you could see swaths of open seats in the student section and in the nosebleeds (plus the usual blue-hair empty seats after halftime).

But goddamn, it was loud after Caden Sterns made that second-half interception. You could feel the crowd start to truly believe in that moment.

One of the loudest games I've ever been to was the 2004 osu game. In the 2nd half about 25% of the crowd had already gone but when Ramonce scored the go-ahead TD that place was deafening. 

the atmosphere is just different now that there is an AD in place that understands how to gently pull money from fans pockets while the fans are excited to pay it instead of an AD that thinks you rape the fans for money and they accept it no matter how shitty the product on the field is

Este. It's always great how CDC remembers to mention that he is asking for people's discretionary money. He gets it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Del Conte and company are doing work and it’s showing. I take issue with our lame fuck fans. Way too many tickets resold to cockroaches. Way too many didn’t show up. And way too many left in the middle of the 4th quarter. Bunch of pussies.

well maybe now that changes since we beat their ass. 

Yeah TCU official attendance was 95,124.  Easily 2000 of those empty seats were in the student’s section.  Great weather against a ranked opponent in the middle of Saturday (not a morning game) when they have no ACL/F1 to compete against and you could go directly to sixth street after singing The Eyes (like we used to do), so I’m not sure why the student’s section wasn’t full.  When the students lose seats as part of the new SEZ project, they’ll have no one to blame but themselves.

Expected to get worked by tcu again. 
Maybe don’t lose to Maryland and you won’t have to win back fans in week 4. 

Hahaha give me a break. We just came off a win against USC with record attendance. What does Maryland have to do with playing another ranked opponent? Dumb logic and a bunch of lame fans.

as others had said... student section was not full.. and the corners of the upper decks were pretty sparse, but the crowd that was there was loud and into the game.

I was more annoyed with the music tonight than during USC. I don't know if it was louder or more plentiful. Maybe both.

or maybe a symptom of what seemed like endless "media breaks". The power that be are trying to find ways to keep the crowds engaged, but there were at least 25 2min30sec media breaks during tonight's game, not counting half time. (yes, I counted. I may have missed one or two)

45 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Yeah TCU official attendance was 95,124.  Easily 2000 of those empty seats were in the student’s section.  Great weather against a ranked opponent in the middle of Saturday (not a morning game) when they have no ACL/F1 to compete against and you could go directly to sixth street after singing The Eyes (like we used to do), so I’m not sure why the student’s section wasn’t full.  When the students lose seats as part of the new SEZ project, they’ll have no one to blame but themselves.

Not sure what student section you're referencing but the student section was packed and full over 1 hour before kick off. My oldest son had to come sit with us as they were not letting any more students in as the student section was over capacity. That was an hour before kickoff.

2 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Not sure what student section you're referencing but the student section was packed and full over 1 hour before kick off. My oldest son had to come sit with us as they were not letting any more students in as the student section was over capacity. That was an hour before kickoff.

Top half of section 32 was empty and the SEZ bleacher were also only about half full.  Unless I’m wrong those are both part of the student section.  I will say that since CDC put in GA we’ve had more students in the stands at kickoff than I’ve seen in over a decade but I still can’t believe they didn’t fill up for this game for all the reasons I listed above.

4 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

That's not the student section anymore. 

You are incorrect.

https://texassports.com/news/2018/8/19/student-ticketing-seating-express-line-reminders-for-football.aspx

NEW FOR 2018 FOOTBALL 
This season, The Big Ticket is loaded onto your UT ID. Just scan at the gate and you're in to find an open seat. Student seating is located in sections 29-39 at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial StadiumGet Acrobat Reader. All student sections are general admission. Students who arrive early get the best seats.

as others had said... student section was not full.. and the corners of the upper decks were pretty sparse, but the crowd that was there was loud and into the game.
I was more annoyed with the music tonight than during USC. I don't know if it was louder or more plentiful. Maybe both.
or maybe a symptom of what seemed like endless "media breaks". The power that be are trying to find ways to keep the crowds engaged, but there were at least 25 2min30sec media breaks during tonight's game, not counting half time. (yes, I counted. I may have missed one or two)

Fox loves ads

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

you better get used to this especially when we're not very good. the student body now is less this...

1gsasd.jpg

more this...

revenge-of-the-nerds-tri-lam-sweaters.jp

Edited by Bruh Man

The initial band march in is still super abbreviated and it’s fucking bullshit. They literally run from the N tunnel and just fucking start marching immediately. Also, fuck the little herd of kids running down the field for no GD reason. It’s just looks like that regarded shit they do at Baylor. Tonight was significantly more commercialized than USC. Band was nearly non existent. We get a sound effect out of the screen with that lame ass “make noise” caption, instead of the band being mic’d up and playing. Still feels like a AAA baseball game to me. 

On 9/16/2018 at 8:37 AM, SubliminalHorn said:

Of course I’m biased, but the LHB when I was a student (early aughts) was best. I can’t fucking stand the band now. That little ditty they do after a first down or really any positive yardage is horrible. It’s bad. 

I didn’t see a game until after DiNino stepped aside as the LHB Director in 1975. But, there was a definite slide in several areas between my first game in 1976 (UH 30 UT 0 - lol) and my last football season as a student in ‘83 (Georgia Cotton Bowl game - no lol).

One was the move away from having a male flag corps to a mostly pudgy female corps. The gals simply aren’t strong enough to snap the flags with the same precision.  Sorry, Donna Lopiano.

Another was the music selection. We were put to sleep one too many times by tributes to Broadway shows. 

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

And then it’s back to the flag corps  They went away from the traditional flags with the block letter TEXAS to some shiny modern art shit that was supposed to be the letter T.

The way the LHB used to enter the stadium as two completely separate bands was cool, but the NEZ remodel made that impossible.

Oh, and once-upon-a-time, the full LHB traveled to pretty much every away game.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Fuck the people that didnt show. Cant believe the stadium was less than 80% full. 

One of the bigger home games recently, after a big win, with outstanding weather and a 3:30 kick, and alumni and students still cant get there

I'm no math wizard, but how is a crowd of 95,000 in a stadium that seats just over 100,000 less than 80% full?