The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

5 hours ago, RabidM said:

I have a question for some of the legal minds here.  So, if this judge does something batshit crazy like grant a special master to look for documents that have executive privilege, can't Biden just waive executive privilege?  I mean the whole argument they're making seems like legal lunacy.  How can you claim executive privilege against the executive branch of government, which owns executive privilege in the first place?  I believe they also own the documents in question as well.  Makes no fucking sense at all...

Judge is MAGA sleeper cell.  Make sense now?

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Wife was telling me about this the other day, that’s some fucked up shit but par for the course with these idiots. 

If that's par, this is under par:

Saudi water deal threatening water supply in Phoenix

Arizona is leasing farmland to a Saudi water company, straining aquifers, and threatening future water supply in Phoenix. Fondomonte, a Saudi company, exports the alfalfa to feed its cows in the Middle East. The country has practically exhausted its own underground aquifers there. In Arizona, Fondomonte can pump as much water as it wants at no cost.

Groundwater is unregulated in most rural areas of the state. Fondomonte pays only $25 per acre annually. The State Land Department says the market rate is $50 dollars per acre and it provides a 50% discount because it doesn’t pay for improvements. But the $25 per acre price is about one-sixth of the market price for unimproved farmland with flood irrigation today, according to Charlie Havranek, a Realtor at Southwest Land Associates.

https://azpbs.org/horizon/2022/06/saudi-water-deal-threatening-water-supply-in-phoenix/

I have no idea who thought this was a good idea, but I doubt it was Democrats.

But, you know, it's not like companies from the US haven't done this around the world.

Edited by Bullneck
  • Rage+1 2

I have no idea who thought this was a good idea, but I doubt it was Democrats.

But, you know, it's not like companies from the US hasn't done this around the world.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/colorado-river-arizona-nevada-drought-less-water/

I bet if you dig into this Saudi deal you would find some familiar names.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Damn, that Lester Maddox was all over the place:

Spoiler

Accomplishments in office[edit]

In the 1966 campaign, the Savannah Morning News forecast that as Governor, Maddox would "tell off the federal government forty times a day, but four years after his inauguration, he would have accomplished little else".[23] Once in office, however, Maddox accomplished the following:

• Maddox was favorably influenced by Murray M. Silver, Esq., General Counsel of the Georgia Department of Labor, and Commissioner Sam Caldwell to hire blacks and to approve legislation affecting unemployment insurance of automobile workers within the state.[24]
  • Maddox integrated the Georgia State Patrol, appointed the first African-American to head a state-wide government department, appointed the first African-American Georgia Bureau of Investigation agent, appointed the first African-American to a draft board in Georgia, integrated Georgia's farmer's markets' lines, and directed state troopers not to address African-Americans as "niggers".[25]

Years after Maddox's gubernatorial term ended, Republican Benjamin B. Blackburn described Maddox as a "far better governor than his critics will ever admit". Blackburn, a former U.S. representative, also noted that no accusation of corruption was made against Maddox, whose administration was characterized by economic development and the appointment of African Americans to state executive positions.[26]

Lieutenant Governor of Georgia[edit]

Under the Georgia constitution of 1945, Maddox was prohibited from running for a second consecutive term. He therefore waged his second bid for lieutenant governor, the first having resulted in defeat to Peter Zack Geer in 1962. Although Maddox was elected as a Democratic candidate at the same time as Jimmy Carter's election as governor, the two were not running mates; in Georgia, particularly in that era of Democratic dominance, the winners of the primary elections went on to easy victories in the general elections without campaigning together as an official ticket or as running mates. Carter and Maddox found little common ground during their four years of service, often publicly feuding with each other.

Shortly after that election, Maddox appeared as a guest on The Dick Cavett Show on December 18, 1970. During a commercial break, fellow guest and former football player Jim Brown asked Maddox if he had "any trouble with the white bigots because of all the things you did for blacks". On the air, Cavett substituted the word "admirers" in place of "bigots", enraging Maddox. After demanding an apology from Cavett, and getting a carefully worded form of it, following further conversation, Maddox still walked off the show. Making light of the incident during a subsequent appearance by Maddox, Cavett walked off this time, and Maddox applauded.[27]

Maddox ran again for governor in 1974 but lost in the Democratic primary to George Busbee. Maddox called the campaign against Busbee "the worst thing I have ever been involved in". Busbee then handily defeated Republican Ronnie Thompson, the first Republican Mayor of Macon, who had hoped to have faced Maddox in the fall campaign. Thompson called Maddox "a counterfeit conservative" and challenged the outgoing lieutenant governor to a debate. Maddox's former chief of staff Zell Miller was successful in his own bid to succeed Maddox as lieutenant governor.

1976 presidential election[edit]

When Carter ran for President in 1976, Maddox ran against him as the nominee of Wallace's former American Independent Party, saying that his former rival was "the most dishonest man I ever met". The remark was similar to a statement once uttered by Barry Goldwater about U.S. President Richard Nixon. Maddox and running mate William Dyke, the former mayor of Madison, Wisconsin, received 170,274 votes in the election (less than 1% of the vote)[28] and no electoral votes.

Retirement[edit]

With his political career seemingly over and with massive debts stemming from his 1974 gubernatorial bid, Maddox began a short-lived nightclub comedy career in 1977 with an African American musician, Bobby Lee Fears, who had worked as a busboy in his restaurant.[29][note 1] Fears had served time in prison for a drug offense before Maddox, as lieutenant governor, was able to assist him in obtaining a pardon. Calling themselves "The Governor and his Dishwasher," the duo performed comedy bits built around musical numbers with Maddox on harmonica and Fears on guitar.[30]

Later years[edit]

1980s[edit]

After Korean Air Lines Flight 007 was shot down in 1983, with U.S. Representative Larry McDonald aboard, a special election was held to fill his seat in Congress. Lester Maddox stated his intention to run for the seat if McDonald's wife, Kathy McDonald, did not.[31] But Kathy McDonald decided to run, and Maddox stayed out of the race; however, she lost to Democrat George "Buddy" Darden.

Maddox had been using drugs from a Bahamian cancer clinic to treat his prostate cancer. In July 1985, he revealed that the clinic had been shut down by Bahamian officials after its drugs had been found to be contaminated with the AIDS virus.[32] Maddox underwent testing, and two months later announced that he was free of the virus.[33]

1990s[edit]

Maddox made one final unsuccessful bid for governor in 1990, then underwent heart surgery the following year. In the 1990 Democratic primary for governor, Maddox finished with about three percent of the vote.[34] He remained a visible figure in his home community of Cobb County for the remainder of his life. In 1992 and 1996, Maddox crossed party lines and endorsed unsuccessful populist Republican Pat Buchanan for the presidency. His last public speech was in Atlanta in 2001 at the annual national conference of the Council of Conservative Citizens. The CCC, of which Maddox was a charter member, is considered by the Southern Poverty Law Center[35] and the Anti-Defamation League to be a white supremacist group.

Personal life[edit]

In 1935, Maddox married seventeen-year-old Hattie Virginia Cox. The Maddoxes enjoyed a close and affectionate marriage. Maddox's wife nursed him through all his illnesses and supported his political and business career, even though he had to spend much time away from the family.[36]

Death[edit]

On June 25, 2003, after a fall while recuperating from intestinal surgery in an Atlanta hospice, Maddox died of complications from pneumonia and prostate cancer. He and his wife Virginia are both interred at Arlington Memorial Park in Sandy Springs in northern Fulton County, Georgia. Due to a successful business career, Maddox was relatively wealthy when he died.[36]

Cavett looks like a weekend Civil War re-enactor.  And what's up with the Hunter S. Thompson/Dr. Strangelove sidekick?  He needs some time at the Ed MacMahon School of Broadcasting.

Edited by Bullneck

5 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

Shades of Lester Maddox on Dick Cavett in May of 1970. See following @ 5:45 for the best line in live (tape delay) TV history, IMHO.

he was a racist, a bigot and a huge douche

fuck him, his family and anyone that ever supported him 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I’ve never seen a cult so public and front and center. I mean, I always thought I understood how they worked, but seeing it actually happen in the daylight….I wasn’t ready for that.

Watching that Dick Cavett clip above makes me realize they are just the same people that have always been here.  They never evolved, they just shut the fuck up a bit for the past few decades.  Once someone came along and made it ok again, BOOM, they're back baby!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Now here is an example of the “uppity” trumpeter. Probably 10% of his base. I don’t think there’s very many of these guys, but this guy actually is educated. He knows trump and his policies are scum, but the guy is so ungodly selfish that he wants the tax cuts while he watches and laughs as the world burns. This kind of Trumper really sucks. He claims that his bag is “ more expensive than anyone else can afford” and hopes the liberals plane crashes as he gets kicked off.

7 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Guessing the Noem stuff is about getting her daughter preferential treatment for a job license and the AG fiasco where he hit someone, said he thought it was a deer, but was most likely drunk.

hoping for the best

Edited by tx 3 putt

3 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Guessing the Noem stuff is about getting her daughter preferential treatment for a job license and the AG fiasco where he hit someone, said he thought it was a deer, but was most likely drunk.

She also went against the will of the people of South Dakota. They voted for both medical and recreational marijuana simultaneously.

Noem has a history of being a drug warrior. She vetoed cannabis oil legislation which even states like Texas and Georgia have allowed. I think just legalizing cannabis oil and stopping there is retarded, but vetoing a bill that harmless is just crazy.

she tried to use the South Dakota legislature to delay the medical marijuana implementation for 1 year and lost in the state senate. It was obvious that she was just trying to buy time to find a way to kill it. She started a lawsuit in the state courts against recreational and got it overturned.

she really is a miserable and nasty woman despite her being attractive looking. I almost hate her more than Trump.

• Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

Now here is an example of the “uppity” trumpeter. Probably 10% of his base. I don’t think there’s very many of these guys, but this guy actually is educated. He knows trump and his policies are scum, but the guy is so ungodly selfish that he wants the tax cuts while he watches and laughs as the world burns. This kind of Trumper really sucks. He claims that his bag is “ more expensive than anyone else can afford” and hopes the liberals plane crashes as he gets kicked off.

Anyone seen fatty lately? 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

These people are going to be trying to overturn the 2020 election in like 2030.  It's wild.  Get something else to live for, you fucking pathetic souls.

As long as anyone can, with minimal investment, keep shearing loads of small dollar donations from their flock of sheep followers then they’ll keep on doing that. It’s sad.