The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

2 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

No. Nazis are stylish.

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I'd almost respect the boldness of the Hugo Boss company releasing a line of MAGA/Proud Bois/Oathkeepers attire.  

But I also think of Adrien Cronhauer in "GMV" when he invites the fashion expert on, "Why all this camouflage?  If you're going to fight, CLASH!  Wear bright read hats and shirts with big flags!"  

You beat me, but I'll go with this anyway:

spacer.png

Hugo Boss, bitch!

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

The best the Magats can do is maybe a line of Sedition Wear from Dickies.

You'd have to elaborate on the name or have a slogan they'd think they understood.

Wear Sedition as you save the country you've always loved!

Sedition, the look of patriots!

Far-right pro-Trump activist Ali Alexander says that his ability to impact the upcoming midterm elections will be limited due to massive legal bills he's incurring as a result of his organizing the infamous "Stop the Steal" rally that preceded the January 6th Capitol riots.

In an interview with the Nebraska Examiner flagged by Law and Crime, Alexander outlined all of the legal challenges he's faced since pro-Trump rioters stormed the Capitol, including an investigation conducted by the House Select Committee investigating the riots, as well as a civil lawsuit filed by police officers who were injured by the rioters.

“I testified for the J6 like committee for eight hours," he said. "It was the longest or second-longest verbal testimony. I had to testify before the grand jury that’s investigating the alternate electors. I’m dealing with a lot of lawfare, a hundred thousand dollars in legal bills, juggling four different lawyers.”

Alexander also said that "God certainly prepared me for this moment" to get sued and investigated for his political activities and he expressed confidence that he would prevail.

READ MORE: Trump demands to be declared 'rightful winner' of 2020 election in new attack on FBI

Nonetheless, he said that there will definitely be at least a short-term impact on his political work.

"They’ve taken me out of the midterms in 2022. So shout-out to the Democrats for sidelining a ton of great organizers in the Republican Party," he said, and cited the "kind of crippling and crushing" legal expenses he's incurred as a reason.

Dave Chappelle Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

You beat me, but I'll go with this anyway:

spacer.png

Hugo Boss, bitch!

You'd have to elaborate on the name or have a slogan they'd think they understood.

Wear Sedition as you save the country you've always loved!

Sedition, the look of patriots!

What's sedition? Oh, it's a mashup of 'sexy' and 'edition.' You know how kids these days love combining words. It's just means the best.

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

4 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

White nationalist who refuses to accept election results claims subjecting president with a court documented track record of fraud to the rule of law is fascism.

Just as CRT isn't a thing in K-12 schools, liberal fascism isn't a thing anywhere, but that's not stopping these guys.  They know they're lying. 

The other day I saw a very nice podcast where a guy broke down fascism by degree, explained the difference between fascist movements in the 1920s and those we are seeing now, etc.  In short, it's not a hard science, there are an infinite shades of gray, but ultimately, the desire for Trump to make all the big decisions and to operate beyond the bounds of prosecution screams "fascism".

My understanding of fascism is an ethos that’s basically, “We need to use violence to subvert the existing democracy and install our guy before X takes over democratically and reforms the system against our interests.”

X can be whatever the opposition movement is.

The cases of Mussolini, Hitler, and Franco inform this understanding. 

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Just as CRT isn't a thing in K-12 schools, liberal fascism isn't a thing anywhere, but that's not stopping these guys.  They know they're lying. 

The other day I saw a very nice podcast where a guy broke down fascism by degree, explained the difference between fascist movements in the 1920s and those we are seeing now, etc.  In short, it's not a hard science, there are an infinite shades of gray, but ultimately, the desire for Trump to make all the big decisions and to operate beyond the bounds of prosecution screams "fascism".

Along similar lines, Fresh Air did a great interview about how Republicans are trying to follow the Viktor Orban playbook to fascism: https://www.npr.org/2022/07/13/1111316727/hungarian-autocracy-the-american-right

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

There’s at least 10 million idiots out there just like this guy. The dems winning in Texas would allow for Medicaid expansion and he’d be able to get someone to look at what’s left of his teeth, but he’d rather own the libs and chew jolly ranchers / tobacco until his teeth fall out completely as long as he can say he owned the libs and his guns are “safe”. Total moron.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Along similar lines, Fresh Air did a great interview about how Republicans are trying to follow the Viktor Orban playbook to fascism: https://www.npr.org/2022/07/13/1111316727/hungarian-autocracy-the-american-right

Here’s a transcript:

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/13/1111274698/how-the-american-right-became-aligned-with-hungary-and-its-authoritarian-leader

22 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

If you listen to Behind the Bastards, their series they did right after Jan 6 called "Behind the Insurrections" covered all the major fascist insurrections in Europe during the 1920s/30s. None of the insurrections were exactly like eachother, but they all had similar themes, rhetoric, and desired outcomes of national supremacy and stratifying society into "in groups" and "other groups". 

Very strong similarity to today's GQP movement

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I remember a discussion KUT aired, about two decades ago, discussing the changing definition of fascism. The interviewee claimed originally corporations were integral to the definition and understanding of fascism. Somehow, he furthered claimed, corporations were wiped from the definition, and that to fact check his contention, one needed a dictionary published in the 1930s. 

Not having such a tome, I don’t know if the claim is bullshit, or not. But, I am certain I heard and have described his statements correctly.

I remember a discussion KUT aired, about two decades ago, discussing the changing definition of fascism. The interviewee claimed originally corporations were integral to the definition and understanding of fascism. Somehow, he furthered claimed, corporations were wiped from the definition, and that to fact check his contention, one needed a dictionary published in the 1930s. 

Not having such a tome, I don’t know if the claim is bullshit, or not. But, I am certain I heard and have described his statements correctly.

That sounds like a pedantic argument a fascist would make.
  • Haha 1

Turns out I have improved my google game:

Similarly, fascism as an ideology is also hard to define. Originally, it referred to a totalitarian political movement linked with corporatism which existed in Italy from 1922 to 1943 under the leadership of Benito Mussolini.

Edited to include current definitions, which I will spoiler.

Spoiler

Wiki:

Fascism is a far-right, authoritarian, ultranationalist political ideology and movement,[1][2][3] characterized by a dictatorial leader, centralized autocracy, militarism, forcible suppression of opposition, belief in a natural social hierarchy, subordination of individual interestsfor the perceived good of the nation and race, and strong regimentation of society and the economy.[2][3] It rose to prominence in early 20th-century Europe,[4][5] the first fascist movements emerging in Italy during World War I, before spreading to other European countries, such as Germany

Merriam-Webster:

often capitalized  : a political philosophy, movement, or regime (such as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition

Cambridge:

a political system based on a very powerful leader, state control, and being extremely proud of country and race, and in which political oppositionis not allowed

Collins:

Fascism is a set of right-wing political beliefs that includes strong control of society and the economy by the state, a powerful role for the armed forces, and the stopping of political opposition.

Britannica:

fascism,  political ideology and mass movement that dominated many parts of central, southern, and eastern Europe between 1919 and 1945 and that also had adherents in western Europe, the United States, South Africa, Japan, Latin America, and the Middle East. Europe’s first fascist leader, Benito Mussolini, took the name of his party from the Latin word fasces, which referred to a bundle of elm or birch rods (usually containing an ax) used as a symbol of penal authority in ancient Rome. Although fascist parties and movements differed significantly from one another, they had many characteristics in common, including extreme militaristic nationalism, contempt for electoral democracy and political and cultural liberalism, a belief in natural social hierarchy and the rule of elites, and the desire to create a Volksgemeinschaft (German: “people’s community”), in which individual interests would be subordinated to the good of the nation. At the end of World War II, the major European fascist parties were broken up, and in some countries (such as Italy and West Germany) they were officially banned. Beginning in the late 1940s, however, many fascist-oriented parties and movements were founded in Europe as well as in Latin America and South Africa. Although some European “neofascist” groups attracted large followings, especially in Italy and France, none were as influential as the major fascist parties of the interwar period.

Seems like that dude had a point. Tell me again how corporations are our best hope in the fight against fascism.

Edited by Willfully Horn
More

5 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

Seems like that dude had a point. Tell me again how corporations are our best hope in the fight against fascism.

They are not.  They are among the more likely to align with the fash. Same goes for “the church.” However, it’s hard to look at the fascist movements of Mussolini, Hitler, and Franco without the backdrop of the 1917 Communist Revolution in Russia and and the global labor movement of the time. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

What's left of his career is being taken on a vacation by his friend Adam Sandler to hang out and film little stories. I think we've seen enough, Rob.

anyone that things that trump is 'good for this country', is just plain dumb

• Hook 'Em 3

40 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Troof.

She's talented.  And sexy as hell. Yeah, I know she's not a skinny gal, but I said it.  She's 10X the talent that her old man is.

god damn, brisket...this isn't your biggest reach but it is a pretty solid one. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Hahahahahahaha

WE’RE RUINING EVERYTHINGGGGGG

giphy.gif

Well, as my sisters and I used to say growing up.  When Mom starts yelling in Spanish, we're turbo fucked, cursing in English was for low-lifes, she saved it for her native tongue.  "Evil Spanish"??? to us, there was no other kind.