The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

13 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Last week’s Pollyanna talking point that civil war won’t happen in the US because the FBI will just walk up and arrest all the bad guys is not aging well.

Counterpoint (and look at this, optimism from Brisket): every single FBI agent in the country has a) 100s of hours of advanced firearms training, and 2) their fingers right next to the trigger of a weapon they know how to use VERY well, and are ready to go.

MAGA just blew past any question of political allegiances -- when they openly declare "FBI must die," the reaction of every single agent is "FAFO."

1 minute ago, RDCanecutter said:

In this Civil War timeline, Ft. Sumter has the ability to level Charleston.

See comment above.  Gravy Seals vs. FBI?  Where do I place my wager?

3 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

I wonder what the maga contingent is like in the FBI.

Their staff are highly educated and thoroughly vetted for batshittery, but ya never know.

I'm sure there were some there.

But it's amazing how "and all of us MAGAs are gonna hunt you down and kill you" will cause a change of heart.  When threatened with murder, the brain generally goes right past the first-line defense of "but wait, I'm one of you" and right to "the fuck you will, not if I shoot you first."

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

I see the agitation as less Civil War and more as the mango worms deciding to pop out on their own.

Don't know about popping out mango worms? It's lunchtime. Google it!

pick them off as their heads pop up

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

CLVynjX.thumb.png.e70cd86f851944dd86bb148704ff32fb.png

back the blue !!!

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Counterpoint (and look at this, optimism from Brisket): every single FBI agent in the country has a) 100s of hours of advanced firearms training, and 2) their fingers right next to the trigger of a weapon they know how to use VERY well, and are ready to go.

MAGA just blew past any question of political allegiances -- when they openly declare "FBI must die," the reaction of every single agent is "FAFO."

See comment above.  Gravy Seals vs. FBI?  Where do I place my wager?

I can’t believe I need to slap Brisket back into justified pessimism, but apparently I do. 

The view that the FBI or any law enforcement agency can subdue rightwing violence assumes several things. Things we may not even recognize as assumptions because they simply reflect how our little corner of the world has always worked.

First, it assumes that anti-state violence is rare and isolated. The perpetrator is a lone nut or a small group of extremists (like a cult). There little or no coordination or communication between groups. 

Second, it assumes that the very concept of violence against the state and its representatives is extremely unpopular. The small group is not expected to garner wide support. All but a tiny group of extremists can be counted on to condemn such acts.

Third, it assumes that the state itself unanimously opposes anti-state violence. Anyone who attacks any branch of the state can expect law enforcement at every level to oppose them. And support for violence is political suicide regardless of party affiliation.

Those circumstances have prevailed in America our entire lives. And I would argue that they are necessary prerequisites to the outcome many of y’all presume here. But they no longer exist.

Consider the Waco siege. In 1994, America reacted with unanimous horror when Koresh’s gang shot a couple of ATF agents. The federal government faced no resistance from local law enforcement or the general population. No notable politicians celebrated those killings or encouraged more. And any popular support for the Branch Davidians was limited to isolated, unaffiliated extremist groups - survivalists, cults, militia types. Nevertheless, that little cult held the Federal Government off for weeks.

Now imagine what would happen in today’s climate, where a substantial portion of America is armed and angry and spoiling for a fight. How does this go down if local and state (and even federal) politicians support Koresh, encourage Texans to attack ATF agents, and order a counter strike by local police? Do you think the massive conspiracy movements, connected nationwide over the internet and through church groups, just stays home and watches?

Think the ATF could still execute its mission? Maybe if the Feds send in the Marines. But then what do you have on your hands? Something that looks a lot more like civil war than it does “gravy seals won’t do shit because they’ll get arrested.”

I mean shit. Even in the tranquil, good times 90s, the Waco fuckup inspired a massive anti-government terrorist attack and a general surge in far right militia activity. Just imagine what havoc a similar standoff would wreak now, and how hard the fallout would be to contain.

The idea that law enforcement will contain the rightwing threat through threat of one-off arrests assumes a world that no longer exists. America used to be a bucket of water that smothered the occasional insurrection oat match. It’s now a powder keg.

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 4

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I'm sure there were some there.

But it's amazing how "and all of us MAGAs are gonna hunt you down and kill you" will cause a change of heart.  When threatened with murder, the brain generally goes right past the first-line defense of "but wait, I'm one of you" and right to "the fuck you will, not if I shoot you first."

Here's one of many counterpoints that come to mind, you optimist.

• Haha 1

Local talk radio was all about them meddlin' Feds, during the 15 minutes I tooled around in the car with it on. The callers have been getting more geezery with occasional oddballs who flummox even the hosts with their Sovereign Citizen takes. I'd bet most are on disability and emerge from the hollow only to splurge at Dollar General.

I mean, whenever I get on disability, that's what I'm gonna do.

7 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

“You try to give me healthcare, save the planet, put my kids into a school where they can learn and not discriminate against me? Just try it LIBTARD, I have a .357 waiting for you!”

I mean, this is exactly what they are saying when you break it down to its core. But wait. There is more.

I don't get to talk to Maga much about politics, because, well black, but the other day I was chatting it up with a good ole boy when he launched into a "The World has Lost its Cotton Pickin Mind" tirade. Sometimes for fun when I can sense I will agree with them just to see where it goes. He starts talking about how people have lost their way. No one has respect for their fellow man anymore. It used to be that people treated their fellow man with respect. Moral fiber and common decency was gone. We exchanged a couple "Fuck Yeah" chest bumps, and I went my separate way.

That's when I started truly thinking about what he was saying because it didn't make sense. The world is turning an ear to women, ethnic groups, and people of differing sexual preferences and gender identities like it never has before. So what exactly does he mean then? Well, he means he preferred it when he used to step outside his door and society bowed to him and him only. He could walk around with his chest out, doing whatever the fuck he wanted to and no one else was allowed an opinion or feelings. So truthfully he is upset that he used to be able to have the playground to himself but now has to share and doesn't like it. That's the GQP in a nutshell?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Well, he means he preferred it when he used to step outside his door and society bowed to him and him only. He could walk around with his chest out, doing whatever the fuck he wanted to and no one else was allowed an opinion or feelings.

He's accidentally admitting that people different from him are his equals. Otherwise their opinions would be as meaningless as the rantings of Aggy.

On 7/28/2022 at 7:32 AM, Eastwood said:

If a family leaving Austin heading to Caldwell to visit family is stopped and searched by a militia, who are they going to call? The local cops? Who do you think organized it? 

Welcome to Black-ish...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1