The movie you just watched

F250

On 5/19/2024 at 6:28 PM, UpperWestside said:

I Saw the TV Glow. Watched it last night. I am certain it will resonate better with other folks. It was a one time watch movie for me.

The trailer looks great, but I thought Jane Schoenbrun's other movie, We're All Going to the World's Fair, was one of the most boring things I've ever seen. It had a super high rating on RT and I usually agree with the critics so I'm a little wary of this one, but I'll probably catch it on streaming.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, austingirl said:

The trailer looks great, but I thought Jane Schoenbrun's other movie, We're All Going to the World's Fair, was one of the most boring things I've ever seen. It had a super high rating on RT and I usually agree with the critics so I'm a little wary of this one, but I'll probably catch it on streaming.

I will defer to you on her as I can tell you zero about her work. A guy I work with did a nice breakdown of the movie for me because I do not really read reviews ahead of time. I would have it listed as a drama and not a horror movie, at least in the traditional sense of what watching a horror movie means.

The focus on the trans experience is why I believe there will be a personal connection to the movie that will resonate better with others who watch it. I believe movies like these have an important place in cinema even if they are not movies that everyone can connect with. I would say to perhaps stream it when it comes out and see what you think of it and not what others feel about this one.

Madam Web

You know, it's not as terrible as I was led to believe. It's not a great movie. It's not even a good movie. There were weird editing choices, and for some reason they chose to overdub the villain's lines without any regard to whether or not his lips were moving. You'll hear him say lines and his lips are stone still.

But it was a competent movie, mildly enjoyable. Dakota Johnson was really good. Sydney Sweeney, bless her heart, she still can't act but she has good screen presence.

Fury.  Hits just about every war movie trope and it's especially dumb how they chose to fight that last Tiger when they had direct orders to pass everything to get to that crossroads.  But the characters are are great and the tone is too.  They could make a great Netflix series out of it.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 5/19/2024 at 8:12 PM, austingirl said:

Kathryn Newton is turning into quite the indie horror actress moving into mainstream.

She kinda reminds me of older actress Julia Campbell. 

Juliacampbell.thumb.jpg.a4199757da31e5fe1385fbf2dbcfd36d.jpg

Just finished Live From Baghdad, 2002 HBO movie about CNN during Gulf War 1. Michael Keaton, Helena Bonham Carter and an outstanding supporting cast. This was back when HBO was HBO and cranking out greatness. Free on YouTube.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2024 at 5:41 PM, UpperWestside said:

I will defer to you on her as I can tell you zero about her work. A guy I work with did a nice breakdown of the movie for me because I do not really read reviews ahead of time. I would have it listed as a drama and not a horror movie, at least in the traditional sense of what watching a horror movie means.

The focus on the trans experience is why I believe there will be a personal connection to the movie that will resonate better with others who watch it. I believe movies like these have an important place in cinema even if they are not movies that everyone can connect with. I would say to perhaps stream it when it comes out and see what you think of it and not what others feel about this one.

I would've categorized her first movie the same way. I didn't know she was trans until this movie came out and it does shine a light on some of the storytelling aspects of World's Fair, but I still wouldn't watch it again. I'll take your advice about streaming TV Glow.

On 5/22/2024 at 8:26 AM, ajax said:

She kinda reminds me of older actress Julia Campbell. 

Juliacampbell.thumb.jpg.a4199757da31e5fe1385fbf2dbcfd36d.jpg

Wow, you're right. I had to look her up to make sure they weren't related.

• Hook 'Em 1

Watched X the other night.  Wanted to get into the Ti West/Mia Goth movies since I saw MaXXXine is coming out soon.  

Interesting enough.  I was dissapoint that Jenna Ortega didn't get naked though 

• Hook 'Em 1

Madam Web
You know, it's not as terrible as I was led to believe. It's not a great movie. It's not even a good movie. There were weird editing choices, and for some reason they chose to overdub the villain's lines without any regard to whether or not his lips were moving. You'll hear him say lines and his lips are stone still.
But it was a competent movie, mildly enjoyable. Dakota Johnson was really good. Sydney Sweeney, bless her heart, she still can't act but she has good screen presence.

Watch Immaculate and get back to me. I thought SS was great in that.

Posted (edited)

Finally saw "Once Upon a Time in the West."

Great movie, but awfully horribly slow. Henry Fonda can play a real mean SOB. Won't forget that child's face as he looks at Frank in the beginning.

Is there a Spaghetti Westerns thread? If not, there should be. 

Edited by Bushwood
Stupid grammar

14 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

On TCM tomorrow, I think 5:45 EST. When I was a kid I loved this movie. I enjoy it today.

Definitely recorded that one. Great cast, fun story. Kick that mule!

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Bushwood said:

Finally saw "Once Upon a Time in the West."

Great movie, but awfully horribly slow. Henry Fonda can play a real mean SOB. Won't forget that child's face as he looks at Frank in the beginning.

Is there a Spaghetti Westerns thread? If not, there should be. 

Good movie, but yeah, Sergio hated editing his films or he never mastered it. IMO

On 5/18/2024 at 11:18 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Didn't want to start a new thread since it seems there is little interest -- we "watched" the Amy Winehouse biopic at iPic Austin tonight.  Honestly, it was pretty good.  I didn't really understand how much her music and addictions were driven by her boyfriend/husband Blake.

I saw the documentary about her. I'll use a word I seldom employ: heartbreaking. Fuck that guy. And fuck her father.

On 5/19/2024 at 7:09 PM, Stringer said:

Saw this a few weeks ago as well and really liked it. I’m not a big horror fan, but I like those dudes that directed it, so I went. They did the last two Screams, which I enjoyed and Ready Or Not, which is a movie I love and watch when I catch it on TV.

I heard someone say they wished they could have kept the xxxxxx reveal out of the marketing and it would have been so much cooler, but may have been harder to get asses in the seats.

Maybe you could have kept the reveal out of your open post.

Rewatched Sicario for no real reason. So good. It’s really interesting how they misdirect you on who the protagonist is.

They tried to make Emily Blunt look like crap and she still looked great.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Ezra. It was a movie about a father and his autistic son and an unplanned trip they take across the country. I enjoyed it because I saw so many things in the movie that the child experiences that I still experience as an adult on the spectrum. DeNiro had a supporting role that he took because I f having one of his own children having autism. I feel like this is a movie where if you do not know much about autism or have a child that is on the spectrum then this would be good to see.

10 hours ago, Parliament said:

It’s ate up with your typical Sheridan plot holes, but Vilenevue saves it.  Soldada, without Vileneveu is a good contrast.  I’d like a #3 but it looks like that time has passed.

The only real plot hole that always occurs to me (if it’s even a plot hole) is: how did a prosecuting attorney turn into a badass operator?

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

The only real plot hole that always occurs to me (if it’s even a plot hole) is: how did a prosecuting attorney turn into a badass operator?

Have had the same thought.

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

46 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Have had the same thought.

Five years of Surly posting makes you a badass.  I bet we have quite a few people on this board who can track down and kill drug kingpins.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/2/2024 at 6:25 PM, Buzzrock said:

They killed his family when he was a prosecutor. He dedicated his life to revenge after that and worked to become the guy who could avenge his wife and kids. I guess if that’s all you thought about and worked on, in a few years it wouldn’t be impossible. 

Boys in the Boat.  Worth the watch. I would have liked to seen...

Spoiler

some kind of a follow up with the tuition lady and what happened with Joyce.  Totally off the wall, it would have been cool for the coach to give a small piece of his medal to the Cal coach (symbolizing a member of the team) for getting them over the top with the IOU.

Watching 1917 (again) on a flight. Great movie. Couple things:

-Don’t think I realized that was King Tommen the first time
-I always heard that gutshot wounds were a slow death. Maybe not.
-Why didn’t the first group of soldiers he encountered assign another man or two to go with him?
-Deakins is a master

The scene with the lady and the baby was the best part of the movie.  The ending was almost as good.  Cumberbatch had like 5 lines?  He killed it. Best character in the movie.

IMHO the “single take” piece was a distraction.  You could see all the places they spliced.

On 5/18/2024 at 2:08 PM, Helobious said:

Just watched Menace II Society for the first time. I had always thought it was a comedy like Friday or something. I was very wrong. Good movie but damn. 

You rarely disappoint 

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I had never made it through Tinker Tailor Solider Spy before so I tried again on a long flight. I made it but damn, that has to be the slowest movie ever. What a cast though.

Sometimes I think it's not long enough, I want moar.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1