2017-18 Spurs Thread: Probably no buckets for Kawhi

Radical Larry

Lol. I read the source material (from a Sacramento writer - top notch source on all things Sours BTW) and there is no mention of weeks long gaps in communication.

Few things I hate more than lazy reporting.

53 minutes ago, hornfan785 said:

Why would some lady from the Sacramento Bee have that sort of information? And that headline is pure clickbait.

I don’t know. I’m grasping at straws here. Looking for reasons why this relationship has seemingly dissolved. I’m a wreck.

PtR was on it this morning, stating that they edited the original article from Sacramento to remove that line about him going weeks without contact (but they didn't take it out of the clickbait headline).

Also, is my sarcasm meter broken for Gut Wagon? I need to know what kind of characters I'm dealing with in this Spurs thread.

20 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

PtR was on it this morning, stating that they edited the original article from Sacramento to remove that line about him going weeks without contact (but they didn't take it out of the clickbait headline).

Also, is my sarcasm meter broken for Gut Wagon? I need to know what kind of characters I'm dealing with in this Spurs thread.

Ha. No, the only reason I even wondered if any of you had seen that "quote" was that I noticed it while scrolling FB but was in the middle of something at the time and didn't get to actually study it. Wasn't even sure to which source it was attributed, much less whether or not it was valid. When I no longer could find on FB, I decided to ask you guys. 

As for who I am (regardless of sarcasm level), I was pulling for the Spurs back when James Silas was running the "4" set for us in late-game possessions. That's what kind of character you're dealing with. All good.

BTW...Ailene Voisin might or might not know a thing about Kawhi's situation with the Spurs, but she's been a pretty legit NBA writer for many years. Make of it what you will. 

Edited by Gut Wagon
Forgot something....

Marc Stein said he didn't think a trade is likely yet.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/04/18/report-spurs-giving-off-signals-they-will-not-trade-kawhi-leonard-yet/

I thought this was pretty funny regarding the come to Jesus meeting with Pop and Aldridge.

“I was very candid with him. I told him, ‘you get me a talent like Kevin Durant and I’ll drive you to the airport. I’ll pack your bags, I’ll drive you there, I’ll get you on the plane and I’ll get you seated,’” Popovich said with a smile. “And he laughed at that. But short of that, I’m your best buddy, because you’re here for another year and you’re not going nowhere. Because we’re not going to get, for you, talent-wise what we would want. So let’s figure this thing out.”

20 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Kawhi is so good I'd still pay to keep him off another team's roster next season.

If it comes to that I would rather the Spurs get as much as they can and rebuild this thing.

I would hope that R.C. Buford swings for the fences and hits once finding another franchise player or something close. 

I always wondered what it would be like to see this guy work magic in a draft with higher picks than what they've usually had.

LaMarcus I don't have faith in. He won't be a player that can take a franchise, as I think he disappears from time to time.

It is a major pipe dream, but if somehow they could get Anthony Davis it would be great.

The Spurs usually don't get big-time free agents like that and I don't expect that to start, so the draft will be where we can hope to get some hits. 

1 hour ago, Escapedgoat said:

If it comes to that I would rather the Spurs get as much as they can and rebuild this thing.

I would hope that R.C. Buford swings for the fences and hits once finding another franchise player or something close. 

I always wondered what it would be like to see this guy work magic in a draft with higher picks than what they've usually had.

LaMarcus I don't have faith in. He won't be a player that can take a franchise, as I think he disappears from time to time.

It is a major pipe dream, but if somehow they could get Anthony Davis it would be great.

The Spurs usually don't get big-time free agents like that and I don't expect that to start, so the draft will be where we can hope to get some hits. 

Part of the magic of low draft picks is that it's easy for them to over perform vs. expectations.  It's much harder for high picks to do that.  Careful what we wish for...

1 hour ago, Longhorn Al said:

Terrible news. I could see him hanging it up.

Awful, awful news. I could see it doing the opposite -- coaching could help him cope with the loss. I would not, however, be surprised if he's not with the team for Games 3 and 4. And that's perfectly okay. Pop, take your time. God bless. #riperin

Awful, awful news. I could see it doing the opposite -- coaching could help him cope with the loss. I would not, however, be surprised if he's not with the team for Games 3 and 4. And that's perfectly okay. Pop, take your time. God bless. #riperin

I am biased, but he’s the most beloved coach in the league. The players will be the best support system he could find.

Yep.  Pop has always been outspoken about "basketball is just a game."  Your life outside basketball should be more important to you.

On the other hand, though, basketball just might help him cope a little right now. 

Did y'all see Durant's reaction when he heard the news?  It got real dusty for sure. 

I suspect this may keep him coaching for a while longer.  He doesn't have a reason to come home anymore and he truly enjoys being with the team.  Then again, with Tony and Manu likely to hang it up and the issues with Kawhi, he may decide it's the perfect time to hang it up.  Whatever he chooses to do, he's had an unbelievable run and deserves to live out the rest of his days in peace and happiness....and drinking lots of wine.  

Feel terrible for Pop.

I'm sure it was by design, but she was the  least publicly known or recognized spouse/important relative of any prominent Spur that I can ever recall. There was always someone around for everyone else -- Ice's wife Joyce way back in the day, David Robinson's dad Ambrose, Tim Duncan's two-timing whore wife, Manu's wife, Eva Longoria, Kawhi's mom and baby momma, etc. were always at the games. I never saw Pop's wife once, not even at team celebrations where other family members were. They showed some really old picture of her and Pop on TNT last night and that was the first time I ever saw what she looked like.

14 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Feel terrible for Pop.

I'm sure it was by design, but she was the  least publicly known or recognized spouse/important relative of any prominent Spur that I can ever recall. There was always someone around for everyone else -- Ice's wife Joyce way back in the day, David Robinson's dad Ambrose, Tim Duncan's two-timing whore wife, Manu's wife, Eva Longoria, Kawhi's mom and baby momma, etc. were always at the games. I never saw Pop's wife once, not even at team celebrations where other family members were. They showed some really old picture of her and Pop on TNT last night and that was the first time I ever saw what she looked like.

I honestly was never sure he was married.  I assumed so, but like you said, never saw her, never knew her name, etc.