Texas is being invaded by migrants

bernorange

People are leaving LA, Chicago, New York, Miami, D.C. and San Jose, in droves, for places with cheaper housing.

A Rent Cafe study on Affordable Migration in the US shows people are leaving LA, Chicago, New York, Miami, Washington D.C. and San Jose, in droves, for places with cheaper housing. Texas has five of the top 10 inbound cities.

https://moneymaven.io/mishtalk/economics/affordable-migration-goodbye-chicago-new-york-la-hello-5-cities-in-texas-KXX6H5A94kS6Q2-4vhv14w/

Huzzah?

People are leaving LA, Chicago, New York, Miami, D.C. and San Jose, in droves, for places with cheaper housing.
A Rent Cafe study on Affordable Migration in the US shows people are leaving LA, Chicago, New York, Miami, Washington D.C. and San Jose, in droves, for places with cheaper housing. Texas has five of the top 10 inbound cities.
https://moneymaven.io/mishtalk/economics/affordable-migration-goodbye-chicago-new-york-la-hello-5-cities-in-texas-KXX6H5A94kS6Q2-4vhv14w/
Huzzah?
Beto voters.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

You're blaming that moron for the lack of Texans in Austin?

Your anger is misplaced on that issue. Plenty of reason to hate on Abbott, that's not one of them.

No, I'm blaming you for being an imbecile like him, with his "leaving Austin just smells like freedom" pants-on-the-head idiocy.

Texas:

austin-texas.jpg

Texas:

statue-of-willie-nelson.jpg

Texas: 

bspoke1.web_-700x467.jpg

Texas:

2017-01-19_Tower_Lighting_Joshua.Guerra5

Texas:

CTA201206-23-f.jpg

Texas:

Gary-Clark-Jr-splash-by-Jonathan-Mannion

It's only not-Texas to people pandering for votes from mouthbreathers or people that are scared to experience something out of the comfort of their daily routine of the last 40 years.  Unless you are saying it isn't Texas because there aren't cowboys riding cattle shooting at each other framed by windmills, saguaro and pumpjacks.  

I'm a fucking Texan.  And I've lived in Austin most of my life.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

I think much of the board agrees with me when I say illegal Latin Americans > yankees and Californians

California. Largest ahem immigration in and out of the county by state. Circle of life and all. 

Texas gets the shit stick. Both tacos

Edited by ChickenSandwich

20 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

if it were not for austin, i wouldn't be in texas.  i love austin because it feels nothing like the the rest the state.

But it doesn't feel like the Austin a lot of us remember and love. No one is trying to sell Madonna's pap smear in present day Austin.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, F250 said:

But it doesn't feel like the Austin a lot of us remember and love. No one is trying to sell Madonna's pap smear in present day Austin.

no place feels the same as it did 20-30 years ago, well unless you're in bumfuck egypt somewhere where no one wants to live.  growth happens.  houston doesn't feel the same.  dallas is not the same.  both of these places are pretty much still suburban hell holes.

with that said, austin is still more vibrant than any other city in texas.  town lake is a great by product of this boom.  20 years ago, town lake was a shit pool.  now it's the focal point of the city.  in the summer, it's a great place to spend weekday early evenings and weekend days.  austin is not perfect, but if you love the outdoors and want a vibrant city and downtown, there's not a better option in texas.  i imagine that many people who do not like austin moved to or live in some nameless, cookie cutter suburban hell hole.  

Edited by crash_davis
  • Like 2

Baylor was my first game since Mack's farewell tour. Fuck it took 45 minutes to get out of the parking garage on Trinity. Don't remember that.

To those saying it no longer feels like the rest of Texas . . . Austin may have never truly been for you.  And if you left Austin to move to some generic Houston suburb, then I can guarantee that is the case.  It has always been unique and different from the rest of Texas, and hopefully it always will be.  

41 minutes ago, F250 said:

Now this feels like a more legit point.  But I think it is more down to the increased availability of real career-focused jobs in Austin and the increased cost of living that has accompanied the economic growth.  That has little to do with whether new arrivals to Austin are from out of state.  An influx of career-minded processionals from Dallas or Houston would have the same effect (or worse) on Austin culture.     

3 hours ago, Ollie Slatt said:

But I think it is more down to the increased availability of real career-focused jobs in Austin and the increased cost of living that has accompanied the economic growth.  That has little to do with whether new arrivals to Austin are from out of state.  An influx of career-minded processionals from Dallas or Houston would have the same effect (or worse) on Austin culture.     

This is probably more of my complaint. The influx of professionals has changed the dynamics of Austin and through gentrification pushed out certain elements from the city.

There was a time you could go to a swimming hole and be surrounded by an eclectic mix of old hippies, red necks, bikers and college kids. You don't really see that mixture anymore. Most of the rowdy crowd has migrated out of the area.

Edited by F250

3 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Well, FUCK HEAD, go to a bar in Austin meet 20 people and 19 of them won't be from Texas. 

Look at the politics of Austin City Council.

I'm not pandering for votes, I'm not exactly a person who lives a sedimentary life of the same routine. 37 year in Texas, 20 Years in Austin, 10 Years in Chicago, and now I'm done with that part of my life. 

You're getting defensive as fuck because you know, Austin isn't Texas anymore. It's a tourist town full of Non-Texans. You may well be a Texan, but you aren't living among them. 

not sure what avoiding limestone has to do with anything.  it's a nice decorative building material.

• Like 1

Bought 50 acres between Sonora and the Devils River recently that I hope to retire on within 5 years. Don’t think I’ll have any Cali or yankee neighbors. They can have the Hill Country, good luck with finding water.

Just about every time on the way back I’m seeing California plates heading east.

Good god the Austinite "Houston is a suburban wasteland" schtick is so old. It's as if strip malls, douchebags and chain restaurants are unknown in Travis County. It also ignores the fact that Houston's suburbs are incredibly diverse. Some strip malls have Vietnamese, Mexican, Colombian, Nigerian and Indo-Pak establishments right next to each other.

And Austin just can't outweird Houston, no matter how hard it tries. Here's an example. A couple of years ago I was riding my back through Independence Heights, a historic black neighborhood on the near north side. A black cowboy in full rodeo regalia came cantering up the same street towards me on a big white horse, one hand on the reins and the other on a bottle of something cold. And then cowboy and horse alike were attacked by a stray pit bull. 

And Austin's real problem is not Californians or Yankees moving in. It's dickheads from places like The Woodlands and Frisco who hated where they grew up and never even tried living in the actual cities near to their suburban hellholes. They say Houston sucks or Dallas Sucks when they really mean Montgomery or Collin counties.  

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Good god the Austinite "Houston is a suburban wasteland" schtick is so old. It's as if strip malls, douchebags and chain restaurants are unknown in Travis County. It also ignores the fact that Houston's suburbs are incredibly diverse. Some strip malls have Vietnamese, Mexican, Colombian, Nigerian and Indo-Pak establishments right next to each other.

And Austin just can't outweird Houston, no matter how hard it tries. Here's an example. A couple of years ago I was riding my back through Independence Heights, a historic black neighborhood on the near north side. A black cowboy in full rodeo regalia came cantering up the same street towards me on a big white horse, one hand on the reins and the other on a bottle of something cold. And then cowboy and horse alike were attacked by a stray pit bull. 

And Austin's real problem is not Californians or Yankees moving in. It's dickheads from places like The Woodlands and Frisco who hated where they grew up and never even tried living in the actual cities near to their suburban hellholes. They say Houston sucks or Dallas Sucks when they really mean Montgomery or Collin counties.  

shhhh let them continue thinking they are the special snowflake

On 10/17/2018 at 8:28 AM, BurntEyes said:

There are a lot of reason I moved out of Austin.

This is one of them.

It's not even Texas anymore.

these fuckers are leaving their dumpster-fire states and trying to make Texas like where they left.

Fuck that.  Go home Yankee.  Go home, granola ass tree hugger from Cali.  Stay in your fucked up  states you bastards.

Edited by slorch

Interesting statistic...about 30 people move out of Austin each day.  Granted many of them are staying in Central Texas, but that's a decent chunk leaving every day.  Of course, that means a net increase of about 100/day, but that part doesn't get covered very much.  Austin I.S.D. is hemorrhaging students. 

The "I would only live in Austin if it were the old Austin from 30-40 years ago" has completely jumped the shark.  When somebody wants to wax nostalgic, I'm the first to pull up a seat and chat having been here 25 years myself.  But if they make that declarative statement like they're being remotely original, I just pass 'em by.  Nothing new here except some cranky asshole bitching about other people deciding to have families here.  It's not new, it's not poignant, it ain't even interesting.  If you're green, you're growing.  If you're ripe, you're rotting.  Much of this country is dying, we're lucky enough to live in a place that's booming.    

It is curious how some hardcore anti-immigrant Texans think a Mexican coming here to take a landscaping job or handyman service calls is somehow taking a white man's job.  But then a computer programmer from San Jose or an engineer from Newark or a finance guy from Chicago (whom are all either White or Asian in this scenario), those guys are literally coming here to literally take a job away from a Texan and somehow we just kind of accept that, make some anti-California joke, and move on.  One of them is coming here to just compliment the economy, the other is coming to Texas to literally snatch away a job from a white native Texan and you can't see the difference.  That's comical and that explains how our elections turn out I suppose /noCR