Running Alt-Right Thread of Mockery and Hypocrisy

bad_teammate

18 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

The McFish was edible. The McFish had never been eaten. The McFish was at war with the Fish Delight. The McFish had always been at war with the Fish Delight.

The McFish was in the Oceania then, yes?  

I walked by that Long John Silver/A&W yesterday at Manchaca & Ben White.  I am still fucking amazed it's open.  But I just had three beers at Radio Coffee and was going down the street to pick up my car from the mechanic and was clamoring for some crappy food. 

And I thought really long and hard about going inside and getting some Hushpuppies for old time's sakes (I freakin' loved them as a kid).  And as I was walking by, a homeless guy from that underpass encampment was taking a shit behind the What-a-Burger there.  So that kinda ended my appetite.  Ended up eating soup with the kids two hours later. Not sure that helped. 

Edited by Lobo

After his social media platform was largely wiped off the web, Parler CEO and co-founder John Matze says he has been fired by his company’s own board of directors, according to a memo obtained by Fox News and The Wall Street Journal and a text message confirmation he sent to Reuters. His LinkedIn page shows an employment end date of January 2021.

Parler, of course, is the social network that found itself wholly deplatformed after its role in the January 6th riots at the US Capitol. Both Apple and Google removed the app from their app stores after being unsatisfied with the company’s attempts to moderate the spread of calls for violence. Amazon decided to terminate the company’s AWS website hosting completely. And though Parler did try to sue Amazon, a judge denied a demand for its website hosting to be reinstated.

On January 10th, Matze told Fox News that all the company’s vendors — and even its lawyers — had abandoned him.

Today, Matze claims he was terminated by a board led by Rebekah Mercer (of the Mercer family, who are prominent conservative donors), and suggested he was fired due to his “strong belief in free speech” and his product vision, including “what I believe is a more effective approach to content moderation.”

It might also have something to do with the company getting run into the ground under his watch. In addition to the difficulties of simply staying up on the internet, it came to light that Parler may have had some privacy issues. Researchers were able to scrape a tremendous amount of users’ content, including their geotagged locations and videos, which were later converted into interactive maps of the Capitol building attack that proved many Parler users were involved.

The House Oversight Committee even called for an FBI investigation into Parler’s involvement in the attack on the Capitol.

Parler does currently have a website again thanks to the hosting services of Epik, a company that also supports controversial websites like Gab and 8chan, and Parler suggested on January 17th that it hoped “to welcome all of you back soon.” But that was over two weeks ago, and the website is mostly a timeline of grievances about how the company has been treated unjustly. Matze hasn’t posted there since Monday, January 26th. His last post was a Bernie Sanders meme with the text “I wish that John guy would hurry up already.”

As a man of faith, I can tell you that the book of Revelations speaks, at length, about pillows and movies.  

I have to admit, I am morbidly curious about this movie.  Not 3-hours curious.  But I'd get fucked up and watch the craziest 30 minutes of it.  

8 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

If you want hushpuppies go to someplace like Catfish Parlor or Terry's Fried Chicken, or Big Easy Bar and Grill.  You don't want Long John Silver's hushpuppies, though the last time I had a piece of their fish it was delicious.  Though better to get it at a place that's not near the encampment shitbox.

After dealing with a veterinary emergency last week (the clinic is right behind Westgate), on the way home the boy and I hit that LJS/A&W to pick up dinner.  We got LJS fish and hush puppies.  Man, I forget how good that fish is.  And I also forget how SALTY it is.  Probably got a week's worth of salt in that meal.

And, A&W has sriracha fried cheese curds.  Did we get some to try?  Yes we did.  Were they delicious, and would go great with beer?  Yes indeed.

Punch line - the boy's dinner was 1) an LSJ fish and shrimp combo, and 2) an A&W double cheeseburger combo.  Because teenage boy.

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I've been meaning to try this place for years.

And, my Terry's story -- back 20 years ago, in their old location, which was an utter dump.  My supervising partner and I decided we needed to try it, because it was a dump with a lotta fried food, so off we went.  We placed our order, then sat on some shitty wooden bench.

A large, and loud, african american woman came in to order her food.  She did.  Then after she paid, whipped around, stared at me in an accusatory way, and asked "IS YOUR NAME EDDIE?!?!?!"  "Umm, no ma'am, it's not."  She pondered my answer for a minute, decided she was satisfied with it, nodded, and sat down across the lobby to wait for her order.

For the next couple of weeks at the office, I was expected to answer to "Eddie."

They had really good fried chicken wings -- the good big ones.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

If you want hushpuppies go to someplace like Catfish Parlor or Terry's Fried Chicken, or Big Easy Bar and Grill.  You don't want Long John Silver's hushpuppies, though the last time I had a piece of their fish it was delicious.  Though better to get it at a place that's not near the encampment shitbox.

Captain D's >>>>>>>>>>>> Long John Silver's

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Shit, we're going to see a flurry of racism from country music, aren't we?

Meh. Country music has become the genre repository for bland, unremarkable, soporific pop rock garbage with lyrics that celebrate cliched hallmarks of generic MAGA culture (superficial patriotism, weekend ruralism, and rote Christian lip service). It’s already a pile of embarrassing crap that I won’t be listening to. Might as well let these dopes sing the quiet part out loud so we can see it for what it really is.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

49 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Meh. Country music has become the genre repository for bland, unremarkable, soporific pop rock garbage with lyrics that celebrate cliched hallmarks of generic MAGA culture (superficial patriotism, weekend ruralism, and rote Christian lip service). It’s already a pile of embarrassing crap that I won’t be listening to. Might as well let these dopes sing the quiet part out loud so we can see it for what it really is.

"Me and you, out by the lake,

You in them jeans, our favorite song comes on,

Rifle comes out, plinking cans...

Mexi-cans...."

Shit, I'm ready to make my millions.  I can do this all day.  And the demand is clearly there.  Guess we just have to write a lot of lyrics that include "bigger" so we can get our rhyme on.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

"Me and you, out by the lake,
You in them jeans, our favorite song comes on,
Rifle comes out, plinking cans...
Mexi-cans...."

Shit, I'm ready to make my millions.  I can do this all day.  And the demand is clearly there.  Guess we just have to write a lot of lyrics that include "bigger" so we can get our rhyme on.

...Puerto Ricans and Africans with yooouuu.

• Hook 'Em 1

Also I am visiting my mom tonight and, it being Friday, I will most likely be treated to a barrage of garbage country her neighbor loves blasting, culminating in the Dirty David Allan Cole album around 9pm so he can finish it by 10 pm quiet time. (The local sheriff is a white dude but serious about laws)

8 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I love some Catfish Parlor (and their hushpuppies), but I have a Long John Silvers 5 minutes away from me, and with no major traffic.

Hushpuppie talk not going away.  Good to know, there are better options in Austin than LJS.  I think I had a couple when I had lunch at Deckhand's a few months back.  But it was because I was on foot, 3 beers in, and right next to that LJS that I really wanted some.  But again, the homeless guy trying to resurface the adjacent What-a-Burger parking lot with his own colo-rectal pink floyd experience kinda took the glamour off my nostalgic appetite.  

Having said that, I keep meaning to grab a burger from Dan's when I'm down over there but I keep forgetting.  Also the green tent under Ben White and Manchaca seems to be growing in scope.  It is literally bigger and bigger every time I drive/walk by (it's on the western side of the underpass).  No exaggeration, it's got to be damn near 400 square feet by now.  

Hushpuppie talk not going away.  Good to know, there are better options in Austin than LJS.  I think I had a couple when I had lunch at Deckhand's a few months back.  But it was because I was on foot, 3 beers in, and right next to that LJS that I really wanted some.  But again, the homeless guy trying to resurface the adjacent What-a-Burger parking lot with his own colo-rectal pink floyd experience kinda took the glamour off my nostalgic appetite.  
Having said that, I keep meaning to grab a burger from Dan's when I'm down over there but I keep forgetting.  Also the green tent under Ben White and Manchaca seems to be growing in scope.  It is literally bigger and bigger every time I drive/walk by (it's on the western side of the underpass).  No exaggeration, it's got to be damn near 400 square feet by now.  

The night we were there, the line at the Dan’s drive thru was at least a dozen cars. It was nuts.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/mypillow-chiefs-apocalyptic-election-fraud-epic-falls-flat?ref=home?ref=home

MyPillow magnate Mike Lindell has been hiding out.

Guarded by what he’s described as a “heavy security” detail of retired Navy SEALs, the Trump superfan has been getting by on three hours of sleep a night, focusing all of his energies on cooking up a “docu-movie” that will prove once and for all that Joe Biden stole the election from Donald Trump.

“I don’t trust anything right now,” Lindell said in an interview with a North Dakota talk radio station this week. “It’s very evil out there.”

On Friday, Lindell released his masterwork: Absolute Proof, a three-hour conspiracy theory bonanza, ultimately cut down to two hours, that exists in a nether-world where the election is still in play and voting machines aren’t queuing up billion-dollar lawsuits against Lindell and his compatriots.

If the documentary fails to get Trump back in the White House, Lindell claims we’re headed towards an apocalypse straight out of the Book of Revelation.

“It’s the end times, we pray and we go to heaven, that’s it, it’s over,” Lindell said in the talk radio interview.

With the hope of averting a rapture, I had the pleasure of watching Absolute Proof on Friday, and I can tell you: It’s bad. Still, the film, presented in four two-hour blocks on One America News paid for by Lindell on Friday, does offer some insight into the current MAGA dead-ender mindset.

Spoiler

Most of Absolute Proof is set at the news desk of a little-known right-wing media outlet even more obscure than OAN. Lindell, who doesn’t seem to have rehearsed his lines or been open to second takes, gestures at PDF’s blown up on a screen and invites a rotating cast of post-election also-rans on board to tell him how spies from various countries stole the election.

‘You guys are going to be absolutely amazed,” Lindell declares at the start.

Three months after the election, Lindell and his crew, which includes viral Rudy Giuliani witness Mellissa Carone, haven’t cooked up one coherent conspiracy about what happened. Instead, each witness flogs the claims that launched them personally to short-lived fame on the right, with Lindell occasionally waving them to hurry up so he can move onto the next segment.

The vibe is like a particularly unhinged house party, with Lindell as an especially antic host. Lindell says he invited self-proclaimed “inventor of email” Shiva Ayyadurai after meeting him a few weeks ago, for example, and lets Ayyadurai do his things for a few minutes before rocketing off to the next guest, who has something totally different to talk about.

Production-wise, Absolute Proof definitely looks like something Lindell produced on three hours of sleep a night. Interviewees’ title cards are misspelled, and Lindell constantly flubs his phrasing—he accuses spies of affecting the election “cyberly,” and denounces Facebook chief Mark “Suckerbuck.” That’s on top of the deliberate but equally inexplicable choices—the music swells like a horror movie when guests are talking, even though tonally the rest of the film is meant to mimic a news broadcast. The film is also riddled with B-roll that goes on a few seconds too long, notably including a man holding a hammer and sickle in a field to ominous effect.

Hanging over the entire vanity project is the threat of crushing lawsuits from Dominion and Smartmatic, the two voting machine companies Lindell and his allies have smeared for months as election thieves. In an apparent bid to minimize their already hefty legal liability, OAN ran a 90-second disclaimer insisting the video was all Lindell’s idea and that OAN itself isn’t making any allegations about the voting machine manufacturers.

For his part, Lindell holds off naming the companies for the first few minutes of the film, referring vaguely just to “voting machines.” By the halfway point, though, he’s in full swing, accusing voting machines of ripping off the whole country. That should leave at least one segment of the movie’s audience satisfied with the movie: the lawyers representing Dominion and Smartmatic.

12 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

last time i went to LJS was ~10 years ago and i told the person next to me that if i suggested it again, take me to jax and get me a fried shrimp basket.  seemed like it was over $10 and not worthwhile. 

looks like that location is gone.  not an LJS or a captain D's anywhere near me. 

Edited by elfenix

9 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

Do you think some of them are....pandering?

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Do you think some of them are....pandering?

That video made me think: do rural working class people actually listen to country music anymore? Are real farmers and ranchers blaring this bland bullshit from their tractors and their beat up work trucks and thinking “This song speaks to me”? Or has it become a primarily escapist genre for exurbanites who play dress up cowboy on weekends?

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

That video made me think: do rural working class people actually listen to country music anymore? Are real farmers and ranchers blaring this bland bullshit from their tractors and their beat up work trucks and thinking “This song speaks to me”? Or has it become a primarily escapist genre for exurbanites who play dress up cowboy on weekends?

Good question. I'm not around 'real farmers and ranchers' anymore so that one I'll leave alone. But your point about escapist genre is a good one. Sort of Dan Patrick country style that speaks to image more than substance? Tbh, though, I can't name a modern country song but I can name quite a few of the older ones so there's that.

I've never cared to limit music choices to one genre, and while great lyrics are great lyrics, sometimes that is just not a deal breaker for me. It's a little weird for me to think about just listening to 'country' or 'reggae' or 'blues,' I love them all. Like books--there are good ones and bad ones within. Can spend an evening going from "Sexy Back" to "Two Doors Down," to "La Vie En Rose" without a second thought. Sometimes while listening, the lyrics smack you in the face with life experiences, and sometimes they just are and you're in the moment. What is it my kids say, "Mom, you're in your feels, aren't you?" It's just nice to have music and musicians. May I always be able to hear them play.

11 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/mypillow-chiefs-apocalyptic-election-fraud-epic-falls-flat?ref=home?ref=home

Hide contents

Most of Absolute Proof is set at the news desk of a little-known right-wing media outlet even more obscure than OAN. Lindell, who doesn’t seem to have rehearsed his lines or been open to second takes, gestures at PDF’s blown up on a screen and invites a rotating cast of post-election also-rans on board to tell him how spies from various countries stole the election.

‘You guys are going to be absolutely amazed,” Lindell declares at the start.

Three months after the election, Lindell and his crew, which includes viral Rudy Giuliani witness Mellissa Carone, haven’t cooked up one coherent conspiracy about what happened. Instead, each witness flogs the claims that launched them personally to short-lived fame on the right, with Lindell occasionally waving them to hurry up so he can move onto the next segment.

The vibe is like a particularly unhinged house party, with Lindell as an especially antic host. Lindell says he invited self-proclaimed “inventor of email” Shiva Ayyadurai after meeting him a few weeks ago, for example, and lets Ayyadurai do his things for a few minutes before rocketing off to the next guest, who has something totally different to talk about.

Production-wise, Absolute Proof definitely looks like something Lindell produced on three hours of sleep a night. Interviewees’ title cards are misspelled, and Lindell constantly flubs his phrasing—he accuses spies of affecting the election “cyberly,” and denounces Facebook chief Mark “Suckerbuck.” That’s on top of the deliberate but equally inexplicable choices—the music swells like a horror movie when guests are talking, even though tonally the rest of the film is meant to mimic a news broadcast. The film is also riddled with B-roll that goes on a few seconds too long, notably including a man holding a hammer and sickle in a field to ominous effect.

Hanging over the entire vanity project is the threat of crushing lawsuits from Dominion and Smartmatic, the two voting machine companies Lindell and his allies have smeared for months as election thieves. In an apparent bid to minimize their already hefty legal liability, OAN ran a 90-second disclaimer insisting the video was all Lindell’s idea and that OAN itself isn’t making any allegations about the voting machine manufacturers.

For his part, Lindell holds off naming the companies for the first few minutes of the film, referring vaguely just to “voting machines.” By the halfway point, though, he’s in full swing, accusing voting machines of ripping off the whole country. That should leave at least one segment of the movie’s audience satisfied with the movie: the lawyers representing Dominion and Smartmatic.

Well be lucky if flat out that kind of disclaimer gets put in front of every Fox News opinion show as a result. 

• Pancho changed the title to Running Alt-Right Thread of Mockery and Hypocrisy