Mail bombs CR thread

Zavala

5 minutes ago, Pasken said:

National Review is misquoting the AP. An official told the AP that the powder was harmless but didn't say anything about the bombs. I'm not saying I think they bombs were actually real but just correcting lazy journalists. 

Yeah, I wouldn't call it lazy journalism. National Review has a far right bias. There's good reason to be skeptical of their motives. 

3 hours ago, triplehorn said:

Spanning the last decade:

For the record, TrumpCo's sudden use of the word "mob" coincides with what is going to become a clear link between TrumpOrg/Trump family and traditional mob activities and mob associated partners (thanks to Trump CFO Weisselberg, Michael Cohen, and Manafort).  Remember, every accusation is a confession from Trump.  Slap the "mob" label on your opponents before it certainly is about to get pinned on you.

Downloaded some of their database of incidents in Texas. Keep in mind these are the same group of clowns who said the OK hand sign was a hate symbol. It's obvious they're progressive with an agenda not objective seekers of truth.

Teacher yelled "Heil, Hitler" at Jewish student.
Man called a "fat, fuck Jew kike bastard."
Woman called a "pushy Jew."
Patriot Front, an alt right group, distributed multiple flyers that read: "Keep America American."
An unknown person or group posted white supremacist flyers at The Rothko Chapel. The flyers read: "It's OK to Be White."
Patriot Front, an alt right group, hung a banner in a public place that read: "America First."
Approximately 12 people associated with the Texas "White Lives Matter" movement gathered privately.
Students asked by photographer to do something fun for senior photo. About 35 of them did Heil Hitler salute and yelled "Heil Hitler" and "Heil Trump."
Student came to his Spanish class in Nazi uniform and taught class the Nazi salute.
James Winchester was found guilty of the March 2008 murder of his female drug-dealing partner, and he was sentenced to life in prison.
Larry Wayne Burcham, Mathew Morgan and Justin Hicks were arrested in January 2008 for shooting a couple in their apartment after demanding to know where to find the "dope."
Anti-Semitic symbol posted by user in cooperative online game.

Only thing funnier than the actual database is people who think it means something.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Yeah, I wouldn't call it lazy journalism. National Review has a far right bias. There's good reason to be skeptical of their motives. 

Its senile boomers huh? They still call themselves a magazine? 

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

It's not bias, it's a publication that openly and proudly offers an intellectually and philosophically conservative perspective (to the 3-4 intellectual conservatives left in this country).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

A broken clock is right twice a day. And it works here, because Shapiro is the size of an hour hand.

Bring it in here and say it with your chest for that hug of ours (and the hour hand was the funniest thing you ever said)

1 hour ago, Thetexashammer said:

Downloaded some of their database of incidents in Texas. Keep in mind these are the same group of clowns who said the OK hand sign was a hate symbol. It's obvious they're progressive with an agenda not objective seekers of truth.

Teacher yelled "Heil, Hitler" at Jewish student.
Woman called a "pushy Jew."
Patriot Front, an alt right group, distributed multiple flyers that read: "Keep America American."
An unknown person or group posted white supremacist flyers at The Rothko Chapel. The flyers read: "It's OK to Be White."
Patriot Front, an alt right group, hung a banner in a public place that read: "America First."
Approximately 12 people associated with the Texas "White Lives Matter" movement gathered privately.
Students asked by photographer to do something fun for senior photo. About 35 of them did Heil Hitler salute and yelled "Heil Hitler" and "Heil Trump."
Student came to his Spanish class in Nazi uniform and taught class the Nazi salute.
James Winchester was found guilty of the March 2008 murder of his female drug-dealing partner, and he was sentenced to life in prison.
Larry Wayne Burcham, Mathew Morgan and Justin Hicks were arrested in January 2008 for shooting a couple in their apartment after demanding to know where to find the "dope."
Anti-Semitic symbol posted by user in cooperative online game.

Only thing funnier than the actual database is people who think it means something.

You do realize symbols can have more than one meaning, right?  That’s literally the first thing you learn in a freshman level Intro to Communications course.  

1 hour ago, Thetexashammer said:

The data was murders.

Spanning a decade, domestic extremists committing murder identified: right wing 74%, left wing 2%.  

Three times more murders on US soil by right wingers  than by Islamic extremists.

25 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

The data was murders.

Spanning a decade, domestic extremists committing murder identified: right wing 74%, left wing 2%.  

Three times more murders on US soil by right wingers  than by Islamic extremists.

I’m listening.

29 minutes ago, retread said:

Latest sent to Robert DeNiro in Manhattan

Said this in the other thread, but this has got to be a right wing, r/Donald troll. This is too extra.

11 hours ago, Incredulity said:

But not CNN.

got it.

lucille-portable.gif

It is literally publishing a lie.  

NR: bomb was harmless. 

The pipe bomb and white powder that forced an evacuation at CNN headquarters in New York City Wednesday morning were harmless, a law enforcement source told the Associated Press.”

The underlying AP link: the explosive was live.

New York City’s police commissioner said earlier Wednesday that the package sent to CNN’s offices in Manhattan contained a live explosive and an envelope containing white powder.”

At some point it would occur to me to think “it’s weird that I base my political opinions entirely on things that turn out to be utterly bullshit lies.   Not slanted information. just outright lies.   I wonder if I should reevaluate my positions?  Is it sort of embarrassing that I let the same people lie to me over and over and learn nothing?  Am I retarded?”

Edited by SuingToGetAMessageBoard?
  • Like 5

From the NYT (caveat - probably about as biased as Stormfront according to Incredulity):

A law enforcement official said the devices were made with a 1-inch-by-6-inch length of PVC pipe filled with suspected pyrotechnic powder and broken glass to serve as shrapnel. They had a small button battery with a digital clock as a timer and a hot bridge wire initiator, the official said.

The devices contained some of the components that would be required to build an operable bomb, but law enforcement officials would not say late on Wednesday whether they were viable.

The devices were being sent to the F.B.I. lab in Quantico, Va., where they would be analyzed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/24/nyregion/clinton-obama-explosive-device.html

This is the part in my Obama-Biden vigilante/buddy movie where Biden calls Obama and it goes a little something like this:

Obama: "Hello?"

Biden: "Barack, you won't believe it..."

Obama:"You got one too?!?"

Biden: "What the hell is going on?"

Obama: "I don't know, but we're getting to the bottom of this shit. We're the only ones that can."

/Smash cut to Obama riding a motorcycle toward the FBI headquarters, cigarette dangling, while Biden sits in the side car, simultaneously cleaning a glock and rolling a joint.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

Remember when all the media and Republicans blamed Clinton for Tim McVeigh's OKC bombing?  

Because Clinton came out and said "The OKC building is the enemy of the people"  and "I'll pay the attorneys fees of anyone that buys a bunch of diesel and fertilizer and puts them in a truck next to a federal building" and "federal buildings are crazy", so blaming him made sense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fozzz said:

Yeah, CNN is pretty much equivalent in bias to NRO. Lmao fucking idiot. 

This is why whackos are sending bombs.  The right has convinced their minions that CNN and all "mainstream media" is "fake news."  Notice the term "mainstream" meaning that the National Review (being something other than mainstream) is the truth.  It's complete lunacy.  And now you can add criticism of their Dear Leader as further proof that it's "fake news."  Dear Leader even says so, and that's what they believe.  Our country is going to literally implode if we can't get some common sense and a modicum of intelligence to prevail.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

I can admit Fox News is biased but I also see all the other cable news networks severely slanted the other way

Sigh, here we go again.  They are not severely slanted the other way.  Fox is a world of its own.  Literally, they make things up.  CNN leans left, but at least sticks to mainly facts and then goes to its left-leaning pundits.  Fox makes shit up out of thin air and then goes to its radical right pundits who exacerbate the fiction to a laughable level.  

This is a pointless argument though so I'm not sure why I'm rehashing this again.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

If you believe CNN shoots down the middle and isnt biased in their coverage then you will never understand why people on the right as so distrustful of the media.  I can admit Fox News is biased but I also see all the other cable news networks severely slanted the other way.  There literally isnt "news" anymore on TV just commentary.  

I agree; it's interesting to me that people can't see both sides are stupid and dishonest and instead try to vilify and nullify this by making "both sides" a bad word. If you have a team, you are a dumbass and it's irrespective of whatever team your confirmation and verification biases support.

9 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

If you believe CNN shoots down the middle and isnt biased in their coverage then you will never understand why people on the right as so distrustful of the media.  I can admit Fox News is biased but I also see all the other cable news networks severely slanted the other way.  There literally isnt "news" anymore on TV just commentary.  

You're wrong.  I know you are going to dismiss me as some libtard cuck or whatever, but it is important to me that you know that you are indisputably wrong on this topic.  CNN tends to have anchors that lean left, yes, but it is in a whole different zip code than Fox News.

CNN presents the news with a left lean.  Fox News actively paints half of the country as the enemy.  Watch any of the primetime Fox shows and count the number of times the host mentions "left wing" or "liberals" when discussing an issue.  Now do the same on CNN.  It's not even the same ballpark.  CNN views Trump as the enemy.  Fox views liberals as the enemy.  One will produce wayyyy more lasting repercussions.  

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Like 1

Just now, tjhooker said:

Slant?  Sure.  Lays completely on its side?  No.

There's a spectrum.  There's far left, far right, and then varying degrees towards the middle of the spectrum.  Center right, Center left, etc.  See this handy chart, which has been circulated a good bit:

Media-Bias-Chart_Version-3.1_Watermark-m

If you want to be reasonably informed, you should consume your content mostly from sources within the gray circle.  If you want to venture to its margins, fine -- there can be some decent stuff in the National Review (although they've gotten REALLY sloppy as of late), as well as sources like the Atlantic (often a softer analysis as opposed to hard data, but still informative).

I'm an Economist man, myself.  For on-the-air coverage, I go with NPR, the BBC, and some network news coverage.  For breaking news, CNN usually has slightly better sourcing than other cable news outlets, although to be honest, CNN and Fox are both often tripping over their dicks to be first with some tidbit, so they both end up looking silly.

But again, see the gray circle.  Consume within that circle, and you will surely see some "slants."  Slants are fine, especially if you go in with eyes wide open.  Slamming ALL media that doesn't suck Trump's dick?  Well, that means you slam pretty much everything that's not in the bottom right half of this chart.  That's a Trump problem, not a journalism problem.  If most everyone thinks you're a deranged asshole, you're a deranged asshole.  It's like that psycho bitch you dated in college, who as she ran through boyfriend after boyfriend, always found some fault with the guy.  No, sweetie, the common thread here is you -- you'rea  bunny boiler, that's why you can't keep a guy.  Trump's a fucking bunny boiler.  That's just the way it is.

• Like 7

Just now, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I think we are all very aware of "why people on the right are so distrustful of the media."  

Here's an exercise for you:  every time something politically good happens for the right, go to TexAgs and see which links are posted.  Every single time you will see NYTimes, WaPo, BBC, AP, Reuters.  The right knows what news is.  They just have developed a good mechanism to protect their brain from it when they want.

This is a very good post. 

• Like 2