Former deputy's husband guilty of murder in deadly confrontation outside Denny's

SDG

This was an interesting thread on tos that I don't think made it's way over here.   

HOUSTON -- A jury has convicted the husband of a former sheriff's deputy for the strangulation death of a man the couple had confronted outside a Houston-area Denny's restaurant. Jurors on Monday found Terry Thompson guilty of murder.

The conviction comes after a judge declared a mistrial in June at Thompson's first trial. Jurors deliberated more than 26 hours over three days, but couldn't reach a verdict.

The incident began after Thompson confronted Hernandez about urinating in the parking lot of the Denny's in Sheldon in May 2017.  Prosecutors argued Thompson wanted to kill 24-year-old John Hernandez and kept him in a chokehold after he stopped resisting.

Chauna and Terry Thompson

KHOU

Thompson's attorneys countered that he was only defending himself after being punched. They insisted Thompson kept Hernandez subdued only until he stopped resisting.

A waitress who witnessed the altercation told CBS affiliate KHOU at the time that she and her manager begged Thompson to stop choking the victim after he turned purple.  

Cellphone video recorded by a bystander shows a man who appears to be Terry Thompson lying on top of Hernandez.   

The medical examiner ruled Hernandez, 24, died from strangulation and chest compression.

Thompson's wife, Chauna Thompson, helped restrain Hernandez and is also charged with murder. She was later fired by the Harris County Sheriff's Office. Her trial is set for April.

Terry Thompson's trial moved to its punishment phase on Tuesday, after which jurors are expected to deliberate a sentence. The first of what's expected to be several days of testimony began Tuesday.

Thompson faces up to life in prison.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/terry-thompson-ex-deputys-husband-guilty-of-murder-in-deadly-chokehold-outside-dennys/

dennys.gif

A friend of mine is the defense attorney.

Jury was hung 11 to 1 not guilty in first trial, with the one juror revealing after the trial they did not believe in using force to defend one’s self. Should have never been on the jury, but the trial judge gave little time for voir dire.

Second jury then convicts the guy.

My understanding is that the deceased was drunk, drove to Denny’s drunk, with a kid in the car (felony DWI), whipped his dick out in front of the accused and underage girls to piss in the parking lot, the accused calls him out and the deceased hits him. D chokes him out, perhaps excessively. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

“I don’t know how it began, but I do know that the Thompson dude would not let go of Hernandez," Trammell said. "We kept asking him to please let go, let go. And they did not let go. He kept holding him in a choke hold, holding him and just never would let him go after turning blue. He was turning purple. We begged this man, me and my manager begged for him to stop. But he did not stop.”

shitty situation.  dumbass drunk dude should've received a proper ass beating.  ass beating does not mean kill the motherfucker.  two families are ruined.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

Jury was hung 11 to 1 not guilty in first trial, with the one juror revealing after the trial they did not believe in using force to defend one’s self. Should have never been on the jury, but the trial judge gave little time for voir dire.

My understanding is that the deceased was drunk, drove to Denny’s drunk, with a kid in the car (felony DWI), whipped his dick out in front of the accused and underage girls to piss in the parking lot, the accused calls him out and the deceased hits him. D chokes him out, perhaps excessively. 

Look we all come across dumb asses all the time; we don’t have the right to kill them. Watch the video...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

nobody made that guy the jury / judge / executioner. just curious, which one of those offenses warrants the death penalty ?

in my book, that's not nearly enough justification to murder someone / get pounded in the ass in prison / possibly see your wife get prison time.

his wife was a deputy, she makes one call and a unit is there within minutes. she made the wrong decision that night by letting her husband 'handle it'. she made the second wrong decision by not pulling her husband off the guy. she made the third wrong decision by encouraging the outcome.

she'll have time to think it over in her jail cell. im sure prison is just like Orange is the New Black !

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

Come on. 

He was pissing on a wall on the side of the restaurant, behind his truck, in the dark, when Thompson pulled into the parking lot area with his lights on.  

Even Thompson admits that.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Come on. 

He was pissing on a wall on the side of the restaurant, behind his truck, in the dark, when Thompson pulled into the parking lot area with his lights on.  

Self defense, bro. The wall needed defending.

Poor white trash. Gets to live in prison now. Poor white trash.

4 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

Jury was hung 11 to 1 not guilty in first trial,

Putting aside the fact that it wasn't self defense and this idiot should have never gotten involved.

What on earth changed between the 2 trials? That's a huge swing.

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Come on. 

This is just going to get worse. We build a wall from Texas to California, it IS going to be peed on. I pity the foos.

8 hours ago, SDG said:

Look we all come across dumb asses all the time; we don’t have the right to kill them. Watch the video...

6 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

nobody made that guy the jury / judge / executioner. just curious, which one of those offenses warrants the death penalty ?

in my book, that's not nearly enough justification to murder someone / get pounded in the ass in prison / possibly see your wife get prison time.

his wife was a deputy, she makes one call and a unit is there within minutes. she made the wrong decision that night by letting her husband 'handle it'. she made the second wrong decision by not pulling her husband off the guy. she made the third wrong decision by encouraging the outcome.

she'll have time to think it over in her jail cell. im sure prison is just like Orange is the New Black !

4 hours ago, relapse98 said:

Putting aside the fact that it wasn't self defense and this idiot should have never gotten involved.

What on earth changed between the 2 trials? That's a huge swing.

It was self defense. Hernandez assaulted Thompson first. But the force used by Thompson was found to be excessive  by a jury (beyond what was justified by Texas Penal Code 9.31: when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to protect the actor against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful force.)

Certainly he intended the act, I doubt he intended the result. That's all I'm saying.

Isn’t there some concept like strict liability related to the act of choking a motherfucker out?

I mean you intend to be choking a dude and you intend to not let go. What difference does it make if you say you didn’t intend for the dude to die from your intentional act of choking him out?

9 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

Gosh, it's almost like the guy telling you all that has a vested interest in the case.

Did he mention anything about all the other times this guy got arrested?  Granted, that doesn't necessarily make him guilty in this case, but it's not like the defendant was an altar boy placed at Denny's by fate to protect underage girls against a drunken piss monster.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 4th and 5 said:

It was self defense. Hernandez assaulted Thompson first. But the force used by Thompson was found to be excessive  by a jury (beyond what was justified by Texas Penal Code 9.31: when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to protect the actor against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful force.)

Certainly he intended the act, I doubt he intended the result. That's all I'm saying.

Billy badass pulled up and got out of his car to confront the dude...  Any reasonable person would of stayed in their car drove away or called the cops.  He was looking for a fight, murdered a man, and now he’s going to do time for it.  Drunk drivers don’t intend to kill anyone either but they do and go to prison for it.  

(I also saw somewhere that this guy has a history of anger management issues but don’t have a citation so take it with a grain of salt)

Edited by SDG
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 4th and 5 said:

It was self defense.

Meh, stay in the car, call the cops, maybe have your wife call her coworkers. It only even got to a question of self defense because mr anger management issues can't control himself and had to interject himself into a situation that didn't really exist.

20 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Meh, stay in the car, call the cops, maybe have your wife call her coworkers. It only even got to a question of self defense because mr anger management issues can't control himself and had to interject himself into a situation that didn't really exist.

I can only assume that he saw the penis and felt threatened. 

• Like 1

25 years seems a bit light for a murder, but for a guy in his early 40's that's a big chunk of your life. Not sure how that translates into actual time spend in jail after adjustments for good behavior, etc. Also not sure when parole becomes and option.

Bernard

• 3 years later...
On 11/8/2018 at 11:33 AM, Bernard said:

25 years seems a bit light for a murder, but for a guy in his early 40's that's a big chunk of your life. Not sure how that translates into actual time spend in jail after adjustments for good behavior, etc. Also not sure when parole becomes and option.

Bernard

3G offense, so parole only possible after serving half your sentence. No matter how much good time credit or anything you get. I’m case you’re still unsure 4 years later. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Bernard said:

She was also hired by the city of Somerville as a police officer and they tried to keep it on the down low.  Once the townsfolks found out they practically ran the entire police force along with the mayor and half the city council out of town.  The former mayor is an acquaintance of mine and now he's out of politics working as a real estate agent in Dallas.  Why anyone would hire her after everything that happened is crazy to me.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 11:13 AM, Helobious said:

3G offense, so parole only possible after serving half your sentence. No matter how much good time credit or anything you get. I’m case you’re still unsure 4 years later. 

Looks like his earliest parole date is May 2031 when he would be in his mid 50s.  https://inmate.tdcj.texas.gov/InmateSearch/viewDetail.action?sid=08003483

Since the wife continues to look for work in law enforcement or security, she's obviously not learned that she has no business protecting others or enforcing the law. I wouldn't be surprised that she pops up somewhere along the way with a new name.

37 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
On 4/17/2022 at 11:54 AM, Bernard said:

Shit, I pass by there everyday. And we have friends who live in the subdivision. Will be watching out for this bitch.

The story ends that she is supposedly no longer patrolling that neighborhood. The obvious next question is whether she's patrolling elsewhere. My guess the answer is yes. Do private security companies really pay their employees much? Isn't the main purpose of these jobs as either a second job, or as a step to becoming an officer?

• Like 1