The Beto Effect - How To Lose Elections and Influence Nothing

tantric superman

On 8/25/2022 at 3:39 PM, Bruh Man said:

O’Rourke’s six-figure ad campaign will run on television stations and digital platforms in Dallas, Houston, Austin, Corpus Christi, Laredo, San Antonio and the Rio Grande Valley.

Six whole figures? C’mon man…

On 8/25/2022 at 6:07 PM, Nivek said:

Remember when Tahoe used to post the pictures of the Black Panthers standing around with Assault Rifles.... so both sides?

They were standing around with assault pants, not rifles.

On 8/26/2022 at 7:52 AM, Nivek said:

More likely she ignored the kid around the ocean and thought the kid could swim because he had 2 lessons and mommy said no to the water while slamming beers and listening to bro country music.  Then some Spanish speaker was holding up her kid in the water rushing to the shore when all of the sudden she accidentally noticed the scene and then accused the person of trying to drown the kid to mask her negligence.   

Anyway, that is my story and I'm sticking to it. 

There is absolutely no chance that an undocumented immigrant drowned a 3yo white kid and it TTOMTerrific didn't  remind us of it every day.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Repost but great podcast interview (34:40 mark) with Beto where he describes how mistakes that he's correcting from his loss to Cruz: https://crooked.com/podcast/will-trump-cost-mitch-the-senate/

He realizes that he didn't spend enough time educating voters how bad Cruz is and assumed they just knew.  He sounds prepared to reverse his mistake by understanding that many voters, who he needs, are just not plugged into politics. They're too busy with life and he needs them to know the truth about Abbott.

We all know Beto doesn't like going negative but talking about Abbott's failures is not negative. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 1

Good chronicle article about Beto in the Panhandle.  link to bypass the paywall: https://archive.ph/c6mdM

They followed him to some towns like Muelshoe who effectively booed Beto out of town. Muleshow is 72% Hispanic and 18% below the poverty line. And voted for Trump at 77% in 2020.

Quote from the article

In Dumas, leaning against an old flatbed pickup across the street from an O'Rourke rally, 66-year-old Lonnie Ritchey said towns like his would be ruined if oil jobs go away. Just outside of Dumas, Valero operates a major 5,000-acre refinery that employs more than 400 people and can produce 200,000 barrels a day.

"What is he doing here?" Ritchey said. "We cannot afford to live like they want us to."

Ritchey said Democrats talk up electric cars and renewable energy, but that's not what feeds families in and around Dumas.

I can understand the fears that the Dems will take away O&G jobs. When you talk up electric vehicles, less intelligent people think it only means less gasoline. Accurate but no one bothers to tell them that we still will power those same vehicles via O&G. Of course we often have Dem pols immediately pump up solar or wind energy. 

Dems have made mistakes in forgetting the small town people who don't want change especially in terms of their jobs. Losing a decent job scares them more than anything. I imagine many in Muleshoe think Abbott is a POS but they see worse potential in a Beto world.

13 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Good chronicle article about Beto in the Panhandle.  link to bypass the paywall: https://archive.ph/c6mdM

They followed him to some towns like Muelshoe who effectively booed Beto out of town. Muleshow is 72% Hispanic and 18% below the poverty line. And voted for Trump at 77% in 2020.

Quote from the article

I can understand the fears that the Dems will take away O&G jobs. When you talk up electric vehicles, less intelligent people think it only means less gasoline. Accurate but no one bothers to tell them that we still will power those same vehicles via O&G. Of course we often have Dem pols immediately pump up solar or wind energy. 

Dems have made mistakes in forgetting the small town people who don't want change especially in terms of their jobs. Losing a decent job scares them more than anything. I imagine many in Muleshoe think Abbott is a POS but they see worse potential in a Beto world.

Maybe they'll feel differently once their children are indiscriminately slaughtered by an AR15 Abbott wants everyone to have.

3 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Maybe they'll feel differently once their children are indiscriminately slaughtered by an AR15 Abbott wants everyone to have.

I imagine the murder of someone's child definitely changes opinions. At the end of the day risks/threats like schools shootings and climate change take a backseat to economic fears when someone earns 25K and there are zero alternatives that approach that income. 

It's easy to write off these people. It's been a staple of the Dem party for a couple of generations now. Beto does an outstanding job showing these people that he cares. That's a rare trait in the Dem party. Bill Clinton was good at expressing empathy to them. Obama, Hillary or Biden? Not so much.

Right now, a Buc-ee's opening up in a town on the interstate could be the only salvation for them. Salvation = working at a gas station. Not good.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I imagine the murder of someone's child definitely changes opinions. At the end of the day risks/threats like schools shootings and climate change take a backseat to economic fears when someone earns 25K and there are zero alternatives that approach that income. 

It's easy to write off these people. It's been a staple of the Dem party for a couple of generations now. Beto does an outstanding job showing these people that he cares. That's a rare trait in the Dem party. Bill Clinton was good at expressing empathy to them. Obama, Hillary or Biden? Not so much.

Right now, a Buc-ee's opening up in a town on the interstate could be the only salvation for them. Salvation = working at a gas station. Not good.

As much of a bleeding heart as I can be, at a certain point you realize you can't save 'em all. A town that hitches its wagon to a dying industry is going to suffer as that industry dies. These people can vote for the guy who will prolong these death process but they shouldn't don't delude themselves into believing the industry will spring back to life.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Honestly, you seem to be living in a pre-2016 world. Dems show no compassion compared to the GOP? Economic anxiety and job security are driving the anti-Dem messaging?

1 minute ago, Foosters said:

Honestly, you seem to be living in a pre-2016 world. Dems show no compassion compared to the GOP? Economic anxiety and job security are driving the anti-Dem messaging?

You're proving my point that the Dems come across as arrogant and uncaring for many. There's a path for Dems winning in Texas by telling some to f-off but it makes it tougher. There's a reason that the Texas Democrat party effectively does not exist.

• Hook 'Em 1

To the point about muleshoe, is there an easily accessible study on how an all or mostly electric passenger car world would affect total oil production?  

gasoline is only one petroleum based product.  Are we planning on replacing petro based lubricants, plastics, whatever else?  How much crude is required for those?  We still plan on using the ICE for commercial applications, at least until the battery tech makes a couple more leaps. 

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

To the point about muleshoe, is there an easily accessible study on how an all or mostly electric passenger car world would affect total oil production?  

gasoline is only one petroleum based product.  Are we planning on replacing petro based lubricants, plastics, whatever else?  How much crude is required for those?  We still plan on using the ICE for commercial applications, at least until the battery tech makes a couple more leaps. 

All Muleshoe needs is a peer-reviewed study. That'll change their minds

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You're proving my point that the Dems come across as arrogant and uncaring for many. There's a path for Dems winning in Texas by telling some to f-off but it makes it tougher. There's a reason that the Texas Democrat party effectively does not exist.

Fair enough. After we convince them that the Dems are not: Satanists, Marxists, pedophiles, child traffickers, Globalists, Soros operatives, Jewish subversives, and Foreign assets, I'm sure they'll be receptive to the Dems economic pitch. How's that for arrogant and uncaring?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

52 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

51 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

All Muleshoe needs is a peer-reviewed study. That'll change their minds

Bailey County, in which Muleshoe lies, doesn't produce a single drop of oil.

https://www.texas-drilling.com/bailey-county

If you're the politically ignorant/indifferent and your boss wants you to vote for a particular candidate, there is a decent chance you will. What these people don't understand is that the best interests of their boss/employer aren't most likely not in their best interests. 

Why any poor(er) Texan votes for Abbott is beyond me. Even just on the question of Medicaid. Abbott is standing in the way of more Texans having healthcare, and he's proud of it. And even if my hypothetical poor Texan has access to healthcare, I guarantee they know people who don't. Most likely they've attended a spaghetti dinner in the last month to help raise money for someone's healthcare costs. But that isn't Abbott's fault to them.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If you're the politically ignorant/indifferent and your boss wants you to vote for a particular candidate, there is a decent chance you will. What these people don't understand is that the best interests of their boss/employer aren't most likely not in their best interests. 

Why any poor(er) Texan votes for Abbott is beyond me. Even just on the question of Medicaid. Abbott is standing in the way of more Texans having healthcare, and he's proud of it. And even if my hypothetical poor Texan has access to healthcare, I guarantee they know people who don't. Most likely they've attended a spaghetti dinner in the last month to help raise money for someone's healthcare costs. But that isn't Abbott's fault to them.

As of 2021, approximately $650 million, or about one-third of all funds raised by GoFundMe, went to medical campaigns. That staggering amount of money highlights how dysfunctional our health care system is, forcing people to resort to crowdsourcing to afford their medical care — but it's not surprising.

Gofundme medical campaigns reveal big problem with healthcare

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The average American, much less Texan, is extremely ignorant on politics and geography. Probably 75% of Texans couldn’t find Madrid on a map if I threw a blank world map at them. most people seem to have very short attention spans and memories.

Letting tons of Texans freeze to death because of how poorly the 100% in charge Texas GOP handled the electric grid should hurt the GOP at the polls, but too many people are obsessed with owning the libs even if it hurts them personally. Millions of Texans all yearn for that one moment every 2 years where the GOP is announced the winner of a statewide election. They can hoot and holler, fire their guns into the air, take their trucks on a 100 MPH victory lap around the neighborhood, and tell their neighbors about how they “ got those libs” while the GOP lines their pockets and continues to ignore these people existence. When they do acknowledge these type of people, it’s only to take some right or benefit away from them, but these people are too dumb to realize that the GOP has not, will not, and will never have their back. These people keep throwing their votes away against their own self interests and it is sad.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

that reminds me of something my mother said once, years ago when Obama was running the first time...she was a typical right-wing boomer, adamant about always voting R and nothing else...

anyway, we were having a conversation and she popped off with "Republicans just want to take my money for themselves, Democrats want to take my money and give it to other people!"

i mean...even if true...how is that even remotely better??

What GIFs | Tenor

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, mchookem said:

that reminds me of something my mother said once, years ago when Obama was running the first time...she was a typical right-wing boomer, adamant about always voting R and nothing else...

anyway, we were having a conversation and she popped off with "Republicans just want to take my money for themselves, Democrats want to take my money and give it to other people!"

What GIFs | Tenor

It's all about making sure that someone they know doesn't get ahead of them. Even hypothetically. The billionaire getting a tax break instead of them is acceptable for some unknown reason. Perhaps they plan to be a billionaire one day so they're just planning ahead.

Many in the GOP have a weird expectation of fairness especially in regards to someone receiving something that they shouldn't get. Obviously this fairness is in the eye of the beholder and they can't turn that viewpoint on themselves.

Take the IA farmer. Farm subsidies are good because it's important for the food supply system of America. But help the urban student with his student loans, that sob is taking my tax dollars for their women's studies degree. F that, in their mind.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's all about making sure that someone they know doesn't get ahead of them. Even hypothetically. The billionaire getting a tax break instead of them is acceptable for some unknown reason. Perhaps they plan to be a billionaire one day so they're just planning ahead.

Many in the GOP have a weird expectation of fairness especially in regards to someone receiving something that they shouldn't get. Obviously this fairness is in the eye of the beholder and they can't turn that viewpoint on themselves.

Take the IA farmer. Farm subsidies are good because it's important for the food supply system of America. But help the urban student with his student loans, that sob is taking my tax dollars for their women's studies degree. F that, in their mind.

It’s fucking weird!  I’ve seen interviews from trumpers who live in a mobile home, have really bad teeth, no dental insurance, and probably just struggling to get by and they say almost in unison “ those millionaires and billionaires don’t pay taxes, but more power to them they earned it!”.

such a weird mentality. I’ve always thought people who are successful and who have clearly directly benefitted from the system should give back to that system so others can rise up and improve their fortunes too.

I don’t want them taxed to death. Just 10-20%.

Edited by Voldemort86
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Why any poor(er) Texan votes for Abbott is beyond me. Even just on the question of Medicaid. Abbott is standing in the way of more Texans having healthcare, and he's proud of it. And even if my hypothetical poor Texan has access to healthcare, I guarantee they know people who don't. 

6 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

The average American, much less Texan, is extremely ignorant on politics and geography. Probably 75% of Texans couldn’t find Madrid on a map if I threw a blank world map at them. most people seem to have very short attention spans and memories.

2 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

It’s fucking weird!  I’ve seen interviews from trumpers who live in a mobile home, have really bad teeth, no dental insurance, and probably just struggling to get by and they say almost in unison “ those millionaires and billionaires don’t pay taxes, but more power to them they earned it!”.

It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they’ve been fooled.

And if you grow up in an environment where you felt like you were just treading water, or hate towards Democrats is all you’ve ever known, it’s easy for groups like Republicans to make you feel better about your situation by blaming the libs, rather than actually trying to help you out of that situation. 

And don’t discount the notion that this is why the Republicans are down on higher education - plenty of us grew up in a heavily (R) environment, and we had certain mindsets that changed when we got to college the military or whatever and were exposed to people that weren’t like us.  

• Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 10:19 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

How? By fighting to extend Medicaid to people like those in Muleshoe?

Edited by Satchel

9 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

Post a description about what it was like. How many idiot protesters showed up.

Official attendance was just over 600. It was indoors at a theater. There were chairs in concentric circles around a platform that Beto stood on when he spoke. When we got there, a mariachi band was playing on the stage. A few local politcians spoke, including Eddie Morales and the woman running against Sid Miller, whose name I forget. I guess she lives in Brewster county? Afterwards Beto stood on the stage in front of a large Texas flag and took pictures and shook hands.

When I walked in, I saw one neck beard wearing a "pro gun pro god pro life" shirt standing around with a couple of his buddies, one who was wearing a black rifle coffee shirt with a big long gun logo on it. They didn't do anything disruptive that I could see.

Afterward, there were about 10 or so Abbott shitheads standing across the street. I didn't see any guns, but I didn't look too close. I stood on the side walk across from them and held up my "Abbott sucks" sign. A few shouts back and forth, but no serious confrontations as far as I saw. Couple of local cops directing traffic, but no real security.

Crowd skewed older and white. The youngest people there (other than my daughter and my friends' kids) were his campaign volunteers. Crowd was pretty fired up. I donated a hundy plus bought a few shirts.

I was wearing this shirt, that I bought back before the 2020 election. It got a lot of compliments. 

Pics are on my wife's phone. I'll post them later.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 7:41 PM, atomheartbevo said:

It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they’ve been fooled.

And if you grow up in an environment where you felt like you were just treading water, or hate towards Democrats is all you’ve ever known, it’s easy for groups like Republicans to make you feel better about your situation by blaming the libs, rather than actually trying to help you out of that situation. 

And don’t discount the notion that this is why the Republicans are down on higher education - plenty of us grew up in a heavily (R) environment, and we had certain mindsets that changed when we got to college the military or whatever and were exposed to people that weren’t like us.  

People voting against their interests is a phenomena that I wish I understood.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

We're in Alpine this weekend.

Getting ready to head to the Beto rally.

I'll be the guy with the "Abbott Sucks" sign if any of you assholes are there.

Do you work for the campaign or just traveled there to see Beto talk?

One thing I’ve been curious about some of the small county trips of Beto are whether those are mainly locals or supporters who traveled 4 hours to raise the attendance level. If the latter, I question the benefit.

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

One thing I’ve been curious about some of the small county trips of Beto are whether those are mainly locals or supporters who traveled 4 hours to raise the attendance level. If the latter, I question the benefit.

Yep.  I'm anticipating a post election talking point related to this.

Beto has probably been the single biggest boost to Texas tourism in the last few years.

On 9/1/2022 at 1:24 PM, mchookem said:

What GIFs | Tenor

Your mom would rather be stolen from than "forced" to share.

• immamac changed the title to The Beto Effect - How To Lose Elections and Influence Nothing