Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

Not a lawyer but isn't the targeting of citizens, in a war, a war crime?

I understand that civilians deaths are inevitable and I don't think that by itself is a war crime. But if you have a drone attack, that is defined as controlled by a person or via an onboard computer which was programmed by a person.  In either case, someone is intentionally killing civilians.  war crime.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Not a lawyer but isn't the targeting of citizens, in a war, a war crime?

I understand that civilians deaths are inevitable and I don't think that by itself is a war crime. But if you have a drone attack, that is defined as controlled by a person or via an onboard computer which was programmed by a person.  In either case, someone is intentionally killing civilians.  war crime.

Do you think Russia cares?

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Putin has gone full Hitler, and would rather terrorize civilians and by proxy spare the Ukrainian military.

Its fucking crazy how militarily stupid this is.  Pisses off the population even more, makes him look even more like a shittastic third-world dictator and makes it easy for the West to justify supporting Ukraine, and he’s fast approaching the point where he won’t have this inventory to attack Ukraine with.

It’s like he was given the choice to A) kill a couple of people, including a pregnant woman, and temporarily knock out power to a thousand folks, or B) take out Ukrainian troops or vehicles, or C) Save the money and spend it on body armor and winter clothing for his troops, and every time he’s like “fuck it, kill the pregnant woman and knock out the power for a few hours”.

He knows, from his experience, that he can bully people into doing what he wants. In the past, when someone resisted, he made an example of them. That is his toolset. That is all he knows. 

His problem is that a key element of bullying is isolating the victim. When they can unite, they are stronger. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Gatorubet said:

Russians love their children too.  Just not anyone else’s children it seems.

More of a Sting critique of MAD than an ode to or positive view of Russia was intended, IMO. 

It seems like they love quite a few Ukrainian children (to repopulate Russia).

1 hour ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

re: air superiority.  why are manned aircraft so much better than drones?  Are these drones not remote piloted so you can get the same intel and targeting with them being operated from a desk as you can from having a live pilot in there? 

The Iranian drones are not remote operated. They are pre-programed with a flight plan and a static final target. They lack the ability to dynamically change targets in flight or send back any kind of ISR data. 

I do believe Iran has sent some recon drones as well but these are not the same as the suicide drones. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It'll be interesting to see how high the death toll has to get to make a difference without freedom of the press.  We lost 55k in Vietnam.  It's hard to notice that in a country of 200MM or whatever we were back then.  (Case in point, we just lost 1MM to COVID and noticing was a matter of whether you felt like it).  The press was able to amplify that message which was then taken over by the younger generation.

Without all of that, I think we never get to the point where deaths matter.  I think it will come down to dolla dolla bills.  Until the right people are motivated to protect their monetary interests, there won't be a big enough push back.

• Hook 'Em 2

So, Iran is selling/sending regional ballistic missiles to Russia….

So, a so called super power that everyone should fear their ability to send nuclear weapons all around the globe has to resort to getting long range ballistic missiles from a country that has been under sanctions for so long that even the drones they make are using 3rd-hand chips for guidance and targeting.

And those Iranian ballistic missiles are still a better option than what Russia has available?

Does that not seem insane to anyone else? When a super power is having to outsource for long ranged guided missiles is a major wtf moment and it is even worse that those missiles are coming from Iran. The only other worse vendor would be NK.

Is Russia so bad off that they can’t produce any weapons in that category and have already exhausted what should have been a near inexhaustible supply (going into the war) with essentially no real benefit from it? 

Going Crazy Will Ferrell GIF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Putin has gone full Hitler, and would rather terrorize civilians and by proxy spare the Ukrainian military.

Its fucking crazy how militarily stupid this is.  Pisses off the population even more, makes him look even more like a shittastic third-world dictator and makes it easy for the West to justify supporting Ukraine, and he’s fast approaching the point where he won’t have this inventory to attack Ukraine with.

It’s like he was given the choice to A) kill a couple of people, including a pregnant woman, and temporarily knock out power to a thousand folks, or B) take out Ukrainian troops or vehicles, or C) Save the money and spend it on body armor and winter clothing for his troops, and every time he’s like “fuck it, kill the pregnant woman and knock out the power for a few hours”.

I am not sure he does not want things to escalate to where a tactical nuke can be used.  I mean, how many cards other than a "defensible use" of tactical nukes does he have left to play that might turn things around?  He would have to get Ukraine to respond with some similar level of violence targeting civilians, and then he'd have more of a pretext for nukes (flimsy and self-manufactured though it might be).

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Here's the 60Minutes piece I referenced last night. It's a tough watch if your interested.

Thank you for posting this. Hard to watch. Time to get The Hague Tribunals ready just like was done after Bosnia. Reminded me of talking with a lot of people who either lost loved ones in Srebrenica or were part of the recovery teams. 

Fucking murderers. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

so sounds of secondary explosions? I assume warplane, as I doubt transport aircraft have ejector seats. On it's way to Mariupol, I guess? 

I hear secondaries too. There is a military airfield on the outskirts of Yesek. 

Edited by Fico
  • Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I would assume that maintenance on Russian planes is not up to par.

Unfortunately Comrade the maintenance records burned up in the crash so we can not investigate further.

27 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I like it and it’s past due …

The voices in the video sound strangely American.

• Hook 'Em 2

58 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I would assume that maintenance on Russian planes is not up to par.

You would assume correctly. 

Or, as a senior engineer told me once, “You test your ejection systems on test stands, not in flight. Unless you’re Russian and at an air show”. 

• Haha 7

21 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

A few squadrons of P-51s or Spitfires would knock the shit out of those drones.

I was going to make a "Where my Mosquitos" at joke.  But seriously, in the areas away from the front, any stable air platform with air to air missiles should be able to knock down those drones, IF they are getting enough warning and oversight from CIC.  Which is a biggish if. 

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I was going to make a "Where my Mosquitos" at joke.  But seriously, in the areas away from the front, any stable air platform with air to air missiles should be able to knock down those drones, IF they are getting enough warning and oversight from CIC.  Which is a biggish if. 

Aren't there some Super Tucanos we were planning to give to the Afghan air force sitting parked in Nevada or something? 

• Hook 'Em 5