Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

13273  VChK-OGPU  Cheka-OGPU 611,630 subscribers  A VChK-OGPU source said that they stopped reporting bad news to Putin, especially about the war, due to the fact that he reacts to them "extremely annoyed."  According to an interlocutor familiar with the situation, Putin reacted to reports with a real situation something like this: in an annoyed form, he told the speaker that he was currently under the influence of “Western propaganda”, thickening “clouds” after it, while Putin himself has more reliable information from other sources, which does not coincide with the information of the speakers. At the same time, the speaker himself for a long time fell out of the list of people who have access to the President of the Russian Federation. But those who reported only successes had constant access, and defeats and failures were reduced to minor troubles that did not play a significant role.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Russia said it had fended off the largest Ukrainian assault in months in eastern Ukraine, as Kyiv moved to retake the initiative in the 15-month war
https://www.wsj.com/articles/russia-says-ukraine-has-launched-attacks-on-front-lines-d49cd983?st=isrqwvirjqlku31&reflink=share_mobilewebshare

It may have started. Russian MoD is bragging about fending off the Ukrainians. Ukraine announced this weekend that it would be silent. I think the thing to do is wait for more objective reports. 

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

LOL. “We found an American boot.” 

Love this story.  "US NAVY DIVERS USE THIS KIND OF BOOT!" headline.  But in the actual article...

“This looks like a Thor overboot,” Neil Tordoff, the military and commercial sales director at Northern Diver, stated after viewing a photo of the boot sent by The Grayzone. “I can’t be 100% sure.”

Tordoff said Northern Diver no longer manufactures this boot due to disruptions in production brought on by the Covid-19 pandemic.

“If it’s the Thor over boot, this was used and is still used in the oil and gas industry for divers. It’s part of a dry-diving suit that would normally be used in contaminated water to keep the diver safe,” Tordoff explained.

“This item is used worldwide,” he added.

It's about as relevant as "screwdriver of the type US Navy uses found!  That's right...a phillips head of a generic brand made in China!  These are found on most all US Navy ships!  And, umm, you know, on pretty much every other ship that sails the sea as well."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I kinda think that’s exactly what he wants, but the Russian people may not allow that.  

If that's what Putin wanted, he could have done that before starting a way, and he could have done than a half dozen times since then when things started looking increasingly worse. Fuck, he could do that right now, say he killed at the nazis, and move his armies back into their border to secure the uprising. But he won't do that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Somewhat off-topic, but I'll be damned if I'm not frustrated that a recent update changed the Zoom taskbar icon/logo from

image.png.a895a5211f64d87fac5a8fd1de87b897.png

to this piece of shit:

image.png.fb3d1c16191cd08c1907284f2c2e7aed.png

It grinds my gears every time I look at or click on it.

Edited by choripan
clarity
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

On 6/2/2023 at 12:45 PM, SL Xpress said:

Well, I believe it's hard to measure those kinds of things in real time. 

Off the top of my head I'd say blunders that result in the end of civilizations or ruling classes probably rank higher. For example, Hannibal invading Rome - while brilliant, and I do think could've resulted in an ultimate victory had he been supported by his capital better - ended up with the complete annihilation of Carthage as a civilization. 

Cleopatra siding with Marc Antony ended with the massacre of her family and the ending of Ptolemaic rule and the Hellenistic domination of Egypt. 

The leaders of the Khwarazmian Empire probably should've traded with Genghis Khan rather than attack his caravans and behead his ambassadors. 

The Fourth Crusade sacking Constantinople didn't really do the Christian West a whole lot of favors in the long run. 

Charles XII invading Russia probably wasn't the best idea in retrospect. 

The Ottoman Empire siding with the Axis powers. 

Germany invading Russia and Japan attacking Pearl Harbor weren't great decisions at the time, but Germany is in great shape in many ways as a country/society, as is Japan. 

The War of 1812 didn't look like such a hot idea when Washington D.C. was being burnt to the ground and the British Navy was making plans to do the same thing to Baltimore (thanks Fort McHenry!).

Probably the decisions that led to the breakup of the Soviet Union - such as the invasion of Afghanistan - rank higher in some senses than this right now, simply because the Soviet Union was more powerful and a greater existential threat even beyond their possession of nuclear weapons. 

But a lot of these - maybe all of them - are foreshadowing dire circumstances which would have come into play eventually anyway.

There are a lot more that are more obscure that I'm leaving out. Lots of civilizations have come and gone in existential competition with neighbors, many of them after starting a war they thought they could win, or at least had to start on their own terms because it was "them or us."

But as of this moment, it sure seems like one of the great all time geopolitical blunders. Certainly within modern times. They had a nice lucrative trade going on with Europe. The countries there were loathe to do anything to piss Russia off for fear of the consequences. They had possession of Crimea, and no real consequences for taking it, and no one was going to do anything to force them to give it back. The country that would seem to benefit from this the most is China, since they have ambitions to lead the world in their vision of a new world order, and Russia's setbacks take them away as a potential rival to the West, while also drawing so much condemnation and enmity that they're forced to become vassals to the Chinese in many respects. 

Hannibal attacking the Roman Empire in Italy wasn't what broke Carthage.  It was the 3rd war between the two city-states, and Rome was looking for an excuse to kick-off another war and to destroy Carthage.  The real issue was that Rome was a land power before the first Punic War and that Carthage was a sea power.  However Carthage ships were almost IKEA like in that they numbered their boards and how they all went together.  Roman engineers were able to take this information and build a copy of the Carthage ship designs and then compete with them on the sea.   The conquest of cities and enslavement of women/children and the execution of all men was a thing that started in the Peloponnesian War.   Rome took it a little further with their destruction of Carthage and Corinth,  major cities-states.  

Cleopatra and Marc Anthony were a power couple, and Marc Anthony was part of a Triumvirate that ruled the Roman Empire.   They got a little too carried away with their success and ambition and ran afoul of Octavian.  Marc Anthony was married to his sister and divorced her.   It wasn't her siding with a loser, she was an active participant in her own downfall.  

The War of 1812 happened because the Brits were not really respecting the citizenship and status of the United States by trying to limit our trade with Europe and impressment of our sailors.   The war was settled without much of an agreement, but with the wars ending in Europe, they no longer had a need to impress US sailors.   Still, the US had its hand forced.  

The lend-lease program by the US was put into place in March of 1941.   This included many manufacturing equipment pieces while helping the Soviet Union crank supplies for their troops.   Hitler invaded in June, 1941.   This manufacturing ability allowed them to hang on and the trucks, food, fuel, and tanks helped them survive the German onslaught.   Had he invaded a little earlier he could have defeated the Red Army.   However who knows really, as the US could have just provided more direct aid.   Had Japan attacked before Germany invaded Russia, that could have altered the course of the war if they could have focused on cutting off aid to Russia, which was a tall order.   However the German-Japanese relationship was born of necessity not affinity, and they didn't coordinate their efforts.  Heck, the lack of attack by Japan freed up forces to combat the Germans.  

Ottoman Empire wanted more influence in the Middle East. Germany and the Ottoman Empire wanted less British involvement in that region so joining the allies in WW1 would have been counter to their ultimate goal.   

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Hannibal attacking the Roman Empire in Italy wasn't what broke Carthage.  It was the 3rd war between the two city-states, and Rome was looking for an excuse to kick-off another war and to destroy Carthage.  The real issue was that Rome was a land power before the first Punic War and that Carthage was a sea power.  However Carthage ships were almost IKEA like in that they numbered their boards and how they all went together.  Roman engineers were able to take this information and build a copy of the Carthage ship designs and then compete with them on the sea.   The conquest of cities and enslavement of women/children and the execution of all men was a thing that started in the Peloponnesian War.   Rome took it a little further with their destruction of Carthage and Corinth,  major cities-states.  

Cleopatra and Marc Anthony were a power couple, and Marc Anthony was part of a Triumvirate that ruled the Roman Empire.   They got a little too carried away with their success and ambition and ran afoul of Octavian.  Marc Anthony was married to his sister and divorced her.   It wasn't her siding with a loser, she was an active participant in her own downfall.  

The War of 1812 happened because the Brits were not really respecting the citizenship and status of the United States by trying to limit our trade with Europe and impressment of our sailors.   The war was settled without much of an agreement, but with the wars ending in Europe, they no longer had a need to impress US sailors.   Still, the US had its hand forced.  

The lend-lease program by the US was put into place in March of 1941.   This included many manufacturing equipment pieces while helping the Soviet Union crank supplies for their troops.   Hitler invaded in June, 1941.   This manufacturing ability allowed them to hang on and the trucks, food, fuel, and tanks helped them survive the German onslaught.   Had he invaded a little earlier he could have defeated the Red Army.   However who knows really, as the US could have just provided more direct aid.   Had Japan attacked before Germany invaded Russia, that could have altered the course of the war if they could have focused on cutting off aid to Russia, which was a tall order.   However the German-Japanese relationship was born of necessity not affinity, and they didn't coordinate their efforts.  Heck, the lack of attack by Japan freed up forces to combat the Germans.  

Ottoman Empire wanted more influence in the Middle East. Germany and the Ottoman Empire wanted less British involvement in that region so joining the allies in WW1 would have been counter to their ultimate goal.   

Hannibal invading Rome still led to the destruction of Carthage. 

Cleopatra siding with Marc Antony still ended with the massacre of her family and the ending of 300+ years of Ptolemaic rule of Egypt. 

The War of 1812 wa actually meant as an example of what seems like a blunder at the time, even when viewed historically, but the civilization/culture went on to great success and so it’s questionable how big of a blunder it ended up being compared to other historic blunders. 

Not sure what point is being made regarding the lend lease act and the timing of the two attacks by Japan and Germany, although certainly you and I see things the same way. 

Again, both the attacks by Germany and Japan are examples for me of blunders, but given that their civilization wasn’t destroyed, and is even thriving today, lowers their historical epicness below blunders that resulted in the destruction of cultures/civilizations. 

The Ottoman Empire joining Germany resulted in its destruction regardless of the reasons why they sided with Germany. 

Look, you and I both know all of these historical events have earned entire wings at libraries, which I then encapsulated as a sentence. My big point is that decisions which are made that lead to the entire destruction of a civilization/culture deserve a different place on the heirarchy of geopolitical blunders than ones that do not, regardless of how stupid the decision actually is. 

Invading Ukraine has turned out to be a really stupid decision. It seemed like a stupid decision from the outset, even when Putin was simply massing 190,000 troops on the border, but subsequent events have made it look waaaaaay stupider still. 

My main point - which was inferred but not explicitly stated - is that if it ends with the further breakup of the Russian Federation into much smaller fiefdoms, and/or much of the current Federation is absorbed by other countries - namely China - this goes way up the list of historical geopolitical fuckuos. 

On the other hand, if this leads to Putin being replaced and a Deng type leader emerging that somehow combines a hybrid state run capitalistic economy which unleashes Russian economic potential - or whatever other scenario someone wants to paint that leads to Russia experiencing some kind of resurgence of success - then it may end up not being a blunder at all in historical terms. 

That’s what I meant by you can’t judge these things in real time. 

• Hook 'Em 4

13 hours ago, BamaATL said:

Just a thought, but I wonder if the Ukrainians have a cyber attack up their sleeve as sort of a final shaping operation?  Imagine if the Russians, who are already largely in a state of disarray, suddenly didn't have coms, electrical power in western Russian, etc.  Talk about a complete fog, that would certainly be ideal to add to things.  I don't know if they have that sort of capability, but that'd be a nice touch.  

I like it. There is also a school of thought that when rampaging behind enemy lines, you don't knock out the signal units, so that everybody else can hear the screaming and panic starts to spread.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

I like it. There is also a school of thought that when rampaging behind enemy lines, you don't knock out the signal units, so that everybody else can hear the screaming and panic starts to spread.

That's a thought as well, or you just fake it.  Either way could cause mass panic and chaos.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

6 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Cleopatra siding with Marc Antony still ended with the massacre of her family and the ending of 300+ years of Ptolemaic rule of Egypt.

Cleopatra's children with Marc Antony were not massacred. They were taken to Rome and paraded through the streets in chains, but then they were raised by Octavian's sister, who had an orphanage of sort for royal connected children. Her daughter with Antony, Cleopatra Selene, ended up marrying Juba and becoming queen of Mauritania, a Rome client state in North Africa. I don't count becoming a Queen as being massacred.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 2

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Love this story.  "US NAVY DIVERS USE THIS KIND OF BOOT!" headline.  But in the actual article...

It's about as relevant as "screwdriver of the type US Navy uses found!  That's right...a phillips head of a generic brand made in China!  These are found on most all US Navy ships!

DNA analysis of the boot shows it was worn by…….Frank Stallone!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

That's a thought as well, or you just fake it.  Either way could cause mass panic and chaos.  

Generally positions just going radio silent is way worse on nerves as the imagination conjures all kinds of scenarios than information getting out, even if it’s screams and panic. 

Obviouusly if you have control of a switch and you can just shut off all Russian communications, you pull it. 

I like the way you guys think, though, both @RDCanecutter suggesting keeping signals on to spread fear, and your’s of faking the comms. 

Certainly anything that can be successfully faked on comms would be a huge asset, but if it can be successfully done I’d suggest there are way better uses for it than simply sending signals of screams and panic. Doesn’t change how fun the idea sounds, though. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, pantone159 said:

Cleopatra's children with Marc Antony were not massacred. They were taken to Rome and paraded through the streets in chains, but then they were raised by Octavian's sister, who had an orphanage of sort for royal connected children. Her daughter with Antony, Cleopatra Selene, ended up marrying Juba and becoming queen of Mauritania, a Rome client state in North Africa. I don't count becoming a Queen as being massacred.

ED74BA8F-419B-4D02-B791-9AC410026DA3.webp.e8a18d2536d8fdbe4b62a2288652141a.webp

From Mauritanian mural…

• Haha 7
  • Drool 2

20 minutes ago, pantone159 said:

And yet the 300+ year Ptolemaic rule of Egypt, and his lineage was ended. 

But you’re right. Being queen of Mauritania makes it a sterling success. Good point. 

Edited by SL Xpress

9 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

DNA analysis of the boot shows it was worn by…….Frank Stallone!

I can just hear Peace in Our Life, beautiful stuff, and by beautiful I mean terrible, and just to be a dick, for your listening pleasure