Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

32 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

That should definitely be the message sent directly to Putin.

"You cause that shit to meltdown and will be treated as if you dropped a tactical nuke. Let your people know."

More like, if you do not de-mine within the next 96hrs, NATO will bring in troops and de-mine it and stay to protect it.

• Hook 'Em 8

18 minutes ago, Bevo said:

That's some BS and a great way to lose support. I'm not sure if "it's better to ask forgiveness than permission" is a winning political strategy. I guess we will see.

"We didn't spend nearly as much as we thought, so we have cash for more boom materials."  

I can dig it.

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, The Dog said:

mess-up-mundane-detail.gif

meh redfish beat me to it still funny

23 minutes ago, Bevo said:

That's some BS and a great way to lose support. I'm not sure if "it's better to ask forgiveness than permission" is a winning political strategy. I guess we will see.

dude, did you misread the tweet by chance?

Or misunderstand it?  Overestimating the value is good.    Because our support lies in the DOLLAR value of the support we give,  so finding another $6bil  means we can give them another $6B worth of artillery shells or some shit

Edited by AUS-97HORN
  • Hook 'Em 9

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I'd assumed all along that they were using depreciated book value to come up with the value of our aid.  That we were using replacement cost on anything but brand-new systems is puzzling

just spitballing... but i see a couple factors involved here

one, just your usual military paper-pushing competence levels, combined with:

two, i suspect our military more or less favors Ukraine much more... enthusiastically than the typical American, and an audit was called upon specifically to find ways to send them more shit

put one and two together and you get this

• Hook 'Em 5

Russia trying to  make a battle happen to slow down Ukraine.

"Ukrainian Bakhmut Demon says Russia is pushing hard to Kupyansk and Lyman to lure Ukrainians from Bakhmut: "Russians threw a lot in the Kuypansk direction. They want to force us not to advance on the flanks of Bakhmut, but additionally to transfer our forces to the defense of this city. Their tactic is to stretch our forces by imposing battles for Kupyansk and Lyman." Kupyansk and Lyman are on the opposite side of the frontline of the same name that was formed after the 2022 counter-offensive.

Tying into Russia torturing Russian soldiers who don't want to fight

"ASTRA publishes the first video from an illegal basement for Russian refuseniks in Zaitsevo, Luhansk region. This camp to hold Russian soldiers who refused to fight was dispersed last year after the publications of ASTRA and other media. But now the basement is working again. This is the first video that is published from this basement in the media. The footage was taken in winter."

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Still can't figure out Girkin.  Is he out there with Putin's blessing floating certain trial balloons?

Or is his history as an FSB officer and knowledge of various militia groups keeping him off of the grid and still alive?

• Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

21 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

ET6qIMRUMAUVnNx.jpg

Also.....the follow up tweet is important:

I'd presumed they were using book value (the depreciated value of old, mothballed stuff, which is a LOT of what we've been sending) as opposed to the replacement cost.

My old 1999 F-150, kept in my driveway, has a book value of about $3500, which is the depreciated value I could get for that particular truck on the market.

The REPLACEMENT cost for that truck is about $65,000.  The differences between the two valuation methods can be pretty damned significant.

I'd assumed all along that they were using depreciated book value to come up with the value of our aid.  That we were using replacement cost on anything but brand-new systems is puzzling.

Yeah, but worst accountant ever if true. So, I kind of doubt it. I mean they have been reporting costs for a long, long time and have presumably been sending the reports to hundreds of people. And it would have gone through junior accountants, senior accountants, the CBO maybe and this isn't the first time that they have aged depreciating assets.

9 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Yeah, but worst accountant ever if true. So, I kind of doubt it. I mean they have been reporting costs for a long, long time and have presumably been sending the reports to hundreds of people. And it would have gone through junior accountants, senior accountants, the CBO maybe and this isn't the first time that they have aged depreciating assets.

You misunderestimate how shitty accountants can be.  Some can be almost as shitty as lawyers can be.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

Large companies have entire accounting departments focused on fixed assets. Does anyone read the fucking TPS reports?

You're talking about accounting.  By the Pentagon.  Shitty accounting is kinda their thing (well, that, and blowing stuff up very, very well).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

lulz at anyone thinking this was a paperwork error that sandy the intern made.  someone read some regs, realized they have the facts to support a different valuation method, and jumped on it the second internal consensus was built. 

Bingo.

But what puzzles me is why they weren't using the depreciated value from the get-go.

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Large companies have entire accounting departments focused on fixed assets. Does anyone read the fucking TPS reports?

You know how the general public incorrectly assumes every crime scene has CSI working the case. Same thing about large corporations and wizard accounting departments 

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Hook 'Em 2

Two things to consider. 
1- End of your accounting.
2- Maybe by not using it we had a plan to do this and surprise the Russian dickfucks. 

Yeah this was planned - either for domestic reasons (politics) or for Russia to think the end of help was near and make them make bad decisions. They dont need help doing that, but we may have helped anyway.
  • Hook 'Em 4

18 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Bingo.

But what puzzles me is why they weren't using the depreciated value from the get-go.

I wonder if they wanted to have the number be as impressive as possible for PR optics. Now that they are possibly locked into a fixed amount, time to change the valuation method. 

like someone who is taking business vehicle depreciation yearly, then realizes they need to do the entire thing all at once and amend their return. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Two things to consider. 

1- End of your accounting.

2- Maybe by not using it we had a plan to do this and surprise the Russian dickfucks. 

Plus the $6B is a rounding error so they tucked away those $’s to use elsewhere or provide more support to Ukraine

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Bingo.

So that they could go to Congress and say "we need more money for Ukraine, because we're about to run out."  

If Congress buys into the higher valuation and appropriates more money, then "Hooray!--more money."

If Congress doesn't appropriate more money, then we just use the lower valuation.  In which case, "Hooray!--more money."

• Hook 'Em 6

7 hours ago, Bevo said:

If it is mined and there was a minor meltdown, what would happen next?

I think we (i.e., NATO/UN) immediately send forces there to fix the cooling pond  to prevent a meltdown. We’ve probably had teams training on exactly that for quite some time, and they could be there within a couple hours max

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I think we (i.e., NATO/UN) immediately send forces there to fix the cooling pond  to prevent a meltdown. We’ve probably had teams training on exactly that for quite some time, and they could be there within a couple hours max

That is the issue. So who can invite them in? If Ukraine does, well they don't control it. If we go in without Russia's approval, which they did not give during Chernobyl, they claim NATO has invaded. 

If we see the Russians running from there like rats off a ship, then we should worry. 

2 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

This seems big. How can Girkin say this without falling from a window? Is this an indication that Putin’s power with the military is so diminished that you can shit on the boss and not get killed?   

And has anybody heard whether or not the MOD folded the Wagner guys into its troops - or did Wagner just tell them to fuck off?

• Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 3

1 minute ago, Gatorubet said:

This seems big. How can Girkin say this without falling from a window? Is this an indication that Putin’s power with the military is so diminished that you can shit on the boss and not get killed?   

And has anybody heard whether or not the MOD folded the Wagner guys into its troops - or did Wagner just tell them to fuck off?

Prigozhin seems quiet the past few days.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

ET6qIMRUMAUVnNx.jpg

Also.....the follow up tweet is important:

I'd presumed they were using book value (the depreciated value of old, mothballed stuff, which is a LOT of what we've been sending) as opposed to the replacement cost.

My old 1999 F-150, kept in my driveway, has a book value of about $3500, which is the depreciated value I could get for that particular truck on the market.

The REPLACEMENT cost for that truck is about $65,000.  The differences between the two valuation methods can be pretty damned significant.

I'd assumed all along that they were using depreciated book value to come up with the value of our aid.  That we were using replacement cost on anything but brand-new systems is puzzling.

But that’s not even a fair valuation. The more accurate way would be if you weren’t using your F-150, but you were paying $X/month to keep it in a storage shed and maintained in semi-working order while knowing that you were most likely going to pay an additional $X to have it disposed of in a few years. Because that’s what most of what we’ve sent has been. We’re technically saving money with a lot of shit we’re sending.

• Hook 'Em 9

25 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

But that’s not even a fair valuation. The more accurate way would be if you weren’t using your F-150, but you were paying $X/month to keep it in a storage shed and maintained in semi-working order while knowing that you were most likely going to pay an additional $X to have it disposed of in a few years. Because that’s what most of what we’ve sent has been. We’re technically saving money with a lot of shit we’re sending.

I think you just described the next batch of found money, the differential between giving it away and warehousing this stuff.  Probably several billion more of found money.  Accounting can be very creatively fun at this level.  

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

That is the issue. So who can invite them in? If Ukraine does, well they don't control it. If we go in without Russia's approval, which they did not give during Chernobyl, they claim NATO has invaded. 

If we see the Russians running from there like rats off a ship, then we should worry. 

It's just people fantasizing. There is zero chance a Seal Team 6 goes in Osama bin Laden style to secure a nuclear plant held by Russian forces who may already have the ability to blow it up at any time.

One thing you can count on regarding representative governments is that they will always lean towards being reactive. Always. No one gets credit for fixing a problem before it gets worse. You just get blamed for doing something that was always "unnecessary" in the first place, even if the action prevented a much worse problem from occurring. 

We're not going to do shit about this nuclear power plant until Ukraine gains control of the area. Yes, by then it's likely going to be too late. At least there's some kind of monitoring going on, both with Ukrainian workers still at the plant, the state owned enterprise Energoatom, and the toothless but useful IAEA, and its idealistic and tireless but ultimately ineffectual director general, Rafeal Grossi. 

I have my fingers crossed Russia isn't going to do something stupid with this nuclear plant, but Russia. That's the best we can hope for realistically, IMO. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

It's just people fantasizing. There is zero chance a Seal Team 6 goes in Osama bin Laden style to secure a nuclear plant held by Russian forces who may already have the ability to blow it up at any time.

One thing you can count on regarding representative governments is that they will always lean towards being reactive. Always. No one gets credit for fixing a problem before it gets worse. You just get blamed for doing something that was always "unnecessary" in the first place, even if the action prevented a much worse problem from occurring. 

We're not going to do shit about this nuclear power plant until Ukraine gains control of the area. Yes, by then it's likely going to be too late. At least there's some kind of monitoring going on, both with Ukrainian workers still at the plant, the state owned enterprise Energoatom, and the toothless but useful IAEA, and its idealistic and tireless but ultimately ineffectual director general, Rafeal Grossi. 

I have my fingers crossed Russia isn't going to do something stupid with this nuclear plant, but Russia. That's the best we can hope for realistically, IMO. 

I'm as hawkish as any about us getting involved (even to the point of going hot over this if the right circumstances exist), but to be quite frank, this is accurate.  We won't be doing anything about it, and if it plays out in the worst case scenario even then I doubt we would actively do anything beyond upping our current support level for the Ukrainians.  That's a shit deal for the Ukrainians, and I don't like it one bit.  

• Hook 'Em 5