Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

5 minutes ago, berlinerbaer said:

I agree. There is too much military competence spread around the world to make invasions successful. Only if the focus is narrow, which it certainly wasn't for us in Iraq and Afghanistan. By the looks of it the Russians bit of more than they could chew as well.

But the invasions were successful in Iraq and Afghanistan. The occupations were complete clusterfucks. From before the invasion. There wasn’t even any pre planning. I can feel myself going on a rant which is completely inappropriate for this thread, but suffice to say the objectives, measurements, logistics, power structure, motivations, and execution of the occupations of both of those countries was just as incompetent as what we’re seeing from the Russian military. However, at no time did the US forces operating in those theaters look like what the Russians do right now.

I do not agree that an invasion can’t be successful in this day and age. In fact, I think that’s a very dangerous mindset. I certainly do not believe what the Ukrainians have shown is military competence. What they have shown is a collection of wheelbarrow balls. Still, the  Chechnyans have plenty of those and yet they have a Kremlin stooge running riot in their country. 

If the West did nothing, or put forth wet noodle sanctions to protect their own economies, and failed to send arms and other aid to Ukraine, the results would be fait acompli. Kiev in particular would be doomed. My hope is that with the West’s support, the defenders can hold out long enough for something drastic to happen in Moscow. 

3 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

But the invasions were successful in Iraq and Afghanistan. The occupations were complete clusterfucks

They never are.   It’s not what a modern military is designed for.  IF the Russians manage to somehow pull this off, it’s the occupation where the real pain starts.  

Even if all of that is true, the sheer size of the Russian Air Force and more specifically their bomber force should provide a hammer for anything within 50 miles

A fighter jet probably requires 1,000 hours of maintenance per year. They apparently don’t have the qualified expertise to maintain shit. They may have 5,000 planes but only the resources to maintain 500 of them.
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Taiwan has been upgrading their military tech by buying foreign weapons and developing their own. But their tech and numbers are still no match for China. These smart Chinese strategy will be to mine the ports and choke off supplies coming into Taiwan. That's my thought anyway.

I say this while my parents still live there. My dad (82 YO) says it won't happen in his life time, but I'm not so optimistic.

I’ll bet they have upgraded their defensive capabilities since my dad was a US Army MAAG advisor there in 1957-59.

Taipei American School holla! 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Laxtonto said:

They have enough air power to completely saturated the current front in a way that anything that could be perceived as a potential slowdown to thier advance could be bombed to oblivion.

Clearly they don’t. I think they are near the limits of their forward capability and the potential of lost air support assets at this point jeopardizes their ability to protect themselves domestically. Really hard to believe but the only plausible explanation 

Edited by Sawbonz

3 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I’ll bet they have upgraded their defensive capabilities since my dad was a US Army MAAG advisor there in 1957-59.

Taipei American School holla! 

Trying to take Taiwan would make Okinawa look like a picnic.   Tens of millions of people. The size of Massachusetts.  Modern military hardware.   It would be almost impossible 

2 hours ago, MillerEP said:

The expectation is that Belarus will declare a former operation/war and start moving troops into Ukraine also. They were also targeted directly by EU sanctions, so maybe the hope is that we can put them on their knees too, same as Russia, and kill two birds with one stone when this falls apart for them and Russia.

Oh yes, if everything comes up aces then having both Putin and Lukashenko deposed would be ideal. Just trying to figure out how we get there especially if the fighting turns into a stalemate.

Are there any official defense treaties between Russia and Belarus? Obviously Putin would see it as a provocation but if he's fighting to keep himself alive then he very easily could let Lukashenko drown in his own filth. Not sure how the rest of Russian leadership is aligned with Belarus but they have to be aware that new management is around the corner and staying on the wrong side of Western sanctions doesn't lead to much.

Per the Budapest memorandum USA and UK are supposed to respect Belarus borders and sovereignty. But Russia has already broken that and not to say that 2 wrongs make a right but if there is the claim that Tsikhanouskaya is rightful elected leader then that may be the acceptable CB for action. Or possibly Poland may want to kick it off as a solo job but backed by NATO intel.

It's all a Mexican standoff right now and would be a simple call if we didn't have itchy finger Vlad on the other end. Figuring out his exit strategy is paramount at this time.

Would love for Vladdy to find some inspiration from this:

34 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

An inane fear of conflict with the West? If you read Gaddis or other historians in his historiographical corner on the Cold War, you often see a Soviet leadership group that has little idea about what the West actually wanted or intended to do. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that Putin thinks that Western leaders have the same wants that he has. Ethnocentrism is a bitch.

I'm thinking 33% held back in case the Poles and Lithuanians hear the Rocky music and turn into Winged Hussars, 33% held back to beat up fellow Russian civilians, and 33% held back because they haven't gotten around to fixing it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

They never are.   It’s not what a modern military is designed for.  IF the Russians manage to somehow pull this off, it’s the occupation where the real pain starts.  

A modern military has fuck all to do with a successful occupation, other than as a repressive police force until the ruling regime is stabilized. Which should be figured to be a decade at least. 

The US has the best record of successful occupations - of creating successful sovereign states after large armed takeovers, in the history of the world. But they all took a long time to accomplish. It’s not the modern military that’s the issue. It’s having the political will to put enough boots on the ground after the enemy standing army has been eliminated and the pressure to bring the boys home begins, as well as the leadership to have the best interests of the local citizens in mind, rather than the large third party contractors looking for a windfall. Also, trying to install a democracy in a place before raising literacy rates and establishing the rule of law is a recipe for disaster. Democracy is not an end all. It’s the worst form of government except for all the other ones, but handing over representative government without the infrastructure to realistically sustain it is irresponsible. 

At this point I’m trying to envision a scenario where Russia is able to take all of Ukraine. I don’t see it. I don’t know how Russia exits out of this without Putin being dead, in all honesty. They can’t reverse course. They don’t seem to have the capability of meeting their objectives. They’re already threatening to use nukes over sanctions through several different lines of communication, including Putin himself. 

I don’t think Russia is going to be able to get rid of the initial resistance to even get to a point where they’re concerned with occupation. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

6 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Well, lol be back in 8 hours I guess. My twitter got locked for saying Putin she be declared a war criminal and be hung at the Hague.

Really?  I would imagine there's far worse shit being posted about him than that.  

5 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Clearly they don’t. I think they are near the limits of their forward capability and the potential of lost air support assets at this point puts their ability to protect themselves domestically. Really hard to believe but the only plausible explanation 

This is what makes this so maddening. Either they have absolutely no clue about the readiness of their own military, which is starting to become the prevalent view, or they are only marshaling a fraction for some reason.

If they have no idea about their own preparedness, is this because the military lied, or the military just didn't know or did Putin not care?

Hell, say we are accepting that they are limited in their ability to provide blanket devastating airpower, where is the beloved Russian Artillery..

The overall strategy has been confusing to put it nicely.

6 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Holy fucking shit!

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/turkey-implement-international-pact-access-shipping-straits-due-ukraine-war-2022-02-27/

NATO member Turkey changed its rhetoric to call Russia's assault on Ukraine a "war" on Sunday and pledged to implement parts of an international pact that would potentially limit the transit of Russian warships from the Mediterranean to the Black Sea.

Kyiv had appealed to Ankara to block any more Russian ships from entering the Black Sea, from which Moscow launched an incursion on Ukraine's southern coast. At least six Russian warships and a submarine transited Turkey's straits this month.

"It is not a couple of air strikes now, the situation in Ukraine is officially a war... We will implement the Montreux Convention," Mevlut Cavusoglu, Turkey's foreign minister, said in an interview with broadcaster CNN Turk.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

This is what makes this so maddening. Either they have absolutely no clue about the readiness of their own military, which is starting to become the prevalent view, or they are only marshaling a fraction for some reason.

If they have no idea about their own preparedness, is this because the military lied, or the military just didn't know or did Putin not care?

Hell, say we are accepting that they are limited in their ability to provide blanket devastating airpower, where is the beloved Russian Artillery..

The overall strategy has been confusing to put it nicely.

Think of how their military leaders advanced. It’s not rocket science. 

51 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

The more this goes on, the more I am thinking this was actually an internal coup to remove Putin. Feed him bad Intel, when he acts on that intel and decides to invade, sabotage his invasion with the worst war planning we have seen since Hitler's second half of WW2, and leave Putin in a such a weakened state that the people of Russia are practically begging for him to be removed and the rest of the world will gladly accept his replacement.

This whole operation seems so out of character for Putin that he's either gone insane or he was sabotaged by his own circle of Intel and generals. If he doesn't take Kyiv by Monday, I'm seriously concerned that he will hold a nuclear gun to the rest of the world's head and demand a way out of this mess.

Nothing about this is out of character. This has been building since 2007 and was tested in 2014. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Russian trolls are mass reporting posts on Twitter, causing these bans and hiding info as sensitive when it’s little more than protests. 

Makes sense.  I didn't know bots could report tweets, thought they could only post shit.   I dunno anything about twitter.  I doubt Putin the Genius gets his news from twitter, so I'm assuming the trolls/bots/whatevers are hiding/reporting the protest posts so as to keep the Russian people in the dark about how unpopular Putin's move is around the world?  

Maybe we could be really sneaky and clever and some up with something that sounds like "Fuck Vlad Putin" but doesn't look like it in print to sneak by Russian bots.

Let's Eat Poutine! ???

• immamac changed the title to Русский корабль - иди нахуй