Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

9 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

That has been the entire thing so far.  We are all saying no way they are dumb enough to do this and then they do it.  In my brain there is only two reasons they do a 40 mile convoy.  It is to draw out the Ukrainians army in full force to attack them.  Or it is to scare Zelensky of the sheer numbers.  Everyone says oh they are sitting ducks.  There are S400s in that convoy.  They would tear a fighter jet to shreds.  The only thing I would try on them right now is a drone in the front and a drone in the rear.  And hit the fuel.  If they get shot down at least you know they have some AA.  But I really think they are trying to beg the Ukrainians into attacking them in the open

Have you been watching this at all? My 10yr old would have a better plan just from playing roblox. 

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

We could have an armada of stealth fighters and bombers over them and they'd never know.

Yes they would. They may not be able to hit it or we would be using EW to make sure they couldn't get a targeting lock but they would know something was there.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/benedict-cumberbatch-walk-of-fame-speech-1235192248/

Benedict Cumberbatch, who was honored on Monday with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, paid tribute to his sister Tracy Peacock, who died of cancer last year, and called attention to the crisis in Ukraine at the unveiling ceremony.

“I can’t speak today at this amazing moment in my life, on this extraordinary platform, without acknowledging the obvious of what’s happening in Ukraine and to show my support for the people of Ukraine, my support for the people of Russia who are opposing the Kleptocracy and the idiocy of their rulers to try and halt the progression of this atrocity,” Cumberbatch said. “But it’s more now for all of us to do than just have thoughts and prayers. We need to act, we need to go on to embassy websites, we need to see what we can do as citizens of the world, citizens of Europe and people who want a better place and a better outcome for this horrendous moment for these people with children, with families who are struggling to survive as rockets rain down on their cities.”

He continued: “We can’t stand back anymore. This is no longer a time for avarice or sloth or inactiveness or ineptitude. We need to act, and there are things you can do. You can support organizations. You can support those who help refugees on the ground. You can support human rights organizations. You can pressure your politicians, your bank, your industries to recognize anything that you can do to help. It is possible, so I urge people to do that on this day.”

Edited by MillerEP
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I think we also need to talk about the very structure of the Russian Army, and whether it is contributing to this.  Russia now organizes its army into "battalion tactical groups."  It's a combined-arms concept--each BTG is going to have infantry, artillery, and air defense, along with its logistics and engineering.  But he punchline on that is that you've got only 200 infantry in a BTG that has 800 total guys.  And that's just not a lot to guard your supply lines.

There's a lot to be said for the maneuverability that comes with such small units.  And the self-contained combined-arms aspect is real attractive.  But if they can't secure their supply lines on their own, and if they can't forage effectively in hostile territory, what maneuverability do they really have?

Makes me think they are taking the "only stick to the roads" thing to the extreme, and if they can't get far off the roads either because of terrain problems or hostiles, then it's a fucking nightmare for those columns.  Starts to resemble some of the unit movements around Gettysburg during the Civil War, when you had columns not coordinating/moving well, and clogging up roads while waiting on other units to either cross or reverse direction or whatever.

Also, these tactics can work in places like Syria, etc., where you're engaging smaller groups and have full air superiority and the like.

But in Ukraine, those groups need to be closely coordinating with each other, because if you have say 200 infantry in a BTG, those 200 can quickly be engaged/bogged down.

Me thinks that they were all given certain orders, and they are trying to fulfill those orders without closely coordinating with one another because they are too scared of meeting whatever timeline was set, and hell, it looks like units within the BTGs aren't coordinating within the BTG.

Just now, Fico said:

Yes they would. They may not be able to hit it or we would be using EW to make sure they couldn't get a targeting lock but they would know something was there.

Well, they should know. A week ago i would have fully agreed with you, but after seeing the wheels come off of 1/4 of their invasion vehicles I’d put those odds at fairly low

I just don't see how Ukraine holds off a 40 mile convey of Russian forces. I think this ends badly in the next few days, which will be really sad.

It’ll be bloody..but I wouldn’t underestimate the guerillas. Russians might be walking into a buzzsaw unless they demolish every building taller than 2 stories

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I just don't see how Ukraine holds off a 40 mile convey of Russian forces. I think this ends badly in the next few days, which will be really sad.

That's what I don't get about the convoy. I get the goal is topple the capital, find Zelensky. But that won't end anything, it would likely bolster more and stronger support from what looks like 99% of the world right now.

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut

There are 2 true outcomes within the next 48 hours: 

1) Air support arrives and the Ukrainian pilots are able to load munition, avoid Russian anti-air missiles and Russian fighter jets, and hit the convoy precisely;
2) Kyiv is essentially flattened,

My money is on 2. It doesn’t change the scope of Russia’s plan however and only makes it messier. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Well, they should know. A week ago i would have fully agreed with you, but after seeing the wheels come off of 1/4 of their invasion vehicles I’d put those odds at fairly low

You make a fair point. Now that I think of it, I haven't seen one report of Russian AWCS up over Belarus or W. Russia. With UAF still getting a few sorties out and drones operating, you think you would see at least a few stories about them. Not to mention just battlefield airspace management. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Maybe but I think there are several other plausible reasons.

8.   The guys from Super troopers are creating a diversion

Top 30 Super Troopers Bear GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

Going to have to be a lot more specific than just calling out "Bear Fucker" around the Russian Army. 

Edited by Pods

Just now, The Ace of Aces said:

GThere are 2 true outcomes within the next 48 hours 

1) Air support arrives and the Ukrainian pilots are able to load munition, avoid Russian anti-air misses and Russian fight jets and hit the convoy precisely
2) Kyiv is essentially flattened 

My money is on 2. It doesn’t change the scope of Russia’s plan however and only makes it messier. 

Serbs never had a chance to take Sarajevo.  The rubble became fighting points. And the Bosnians had almost no outside support. They had to rely on Iran. Iran......

If it was a 10 mile convoy coming from 4 different directions I'd be a lot more worried.  40 miles all bunched together?  Let's scramble some of our best jets and slap a Ukrainian flag on whatever pilot volunteers to do God's work.  I know it's not that simple - but it's also not that much more complicated.  

• Drool 1

It doesn't matter how long this convoy is if the Russians can't/won't/don't deploy. They'd be infinitely more dangerous dismounted. I assume that somewhere up near the front they'd gotten off the roads and are fanning out to seize villages and suburbs? That'd make sense to me, so they probably aren't doing it.

21 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

That has been the entire thing so far.  We are all saying no way they are dumb enough to do this and then they do it.  In my brain there is only two reasons they do a 40 mile convoy.  It is to draw out the Ukrainians army in full force to attack them.  Or it is to scare Zelensky of the sheer numbers.  Everyone says oh they are sitting ducks.  There are S400s in that convoy.  They would tear a fighter jet to shreds.  The only thing I would try on them right now is a drone in the front and a drone in the rear.  And hit the fuel.  If they get shot down at least you know they have some AA.  But I really think they are trying to beg the Ukrainians into attacking them in the open

Keep in mind it's not a solid 40 miles of trucks, there's plenty of space between them.

It's sloppy as hell, and everybody is focused on the air, but land-based attacks are just as dangerous.

It could also be the sign that Putin laid down the law and doesn't care about casualties, etc. and Russian generals are freaked out and just throwing everything into it.

quote-misunderstandings-and-neglect-crea

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

It's not 40 miles of Russian infantry.

And now that they can't trust finding good fuel in Ukraine proper, well those tanks are doing well less than 1 MPG, and that drops in shitty terrain and carrying a lot of extra equipment/armor/would-be Javelin protection would also drop it.  So that means lots of fuel trucks.  And fuel trucks need to fuel themselves, and everything else.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

What do people not understand that we can't get directly involved? It isn't that difficult to understand. You feel like gambling the life on earth? Please educate yourselves.

Relax.  We can give plenty of firepower without our actual boots in the war.  A couple pilots in good jets can do PLENTY to fuck up Putin’s plans.  You realize they have to conquer AND hold down Ukraine.  That’s a complete bitch.  The conquer part is actually much easier than maintaining control.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's not 40 miles of Russian infantry.

And now that they can't trust finding good fuel in Ukraine proper, well those tanks are doing well less than 1 MPG, and that drops in shitty terrain and carrying a lot of extra equipment/armor/would-be Javelin protection would also drop it.  So that means lots of fuel trucks.  And fuel trucks need to fuel themselves, and everything else.

If that "40 mile train" grew from 17 miles over the weekend, how much of it was added by Belarusans?

No fuel, cold days and nights, snow is still falling and the ground is thawed.  It's mudstuck hell off that road, and you can't shuttle a bridge ahead. 

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Relax.  We can give plenty of firepower without our actual boots in the war.  A couple pilots in good jets can do PLENTY to fuck up Putin’s plans.  You realize they have to conquer AND hold down Ukraine.  That’s a complete bitch.  The conquer part is actually much easier than maintaining control.  

No Ukrainian pilot can fly a US-built jet. Hence why they are getting old Soviet birds. The US isn’t putting anyone in way of being shot down there, it’s a risk no one supports. If a US solider is found in Ukraine, shit is fucked. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

What do people not understand that we can't get directly involved? It isn't that difficult to understand. You feel like gambling the life on earth? Please educate yourselves.

I agree. There is a large chunk of typically anti-war people that seem to want war with Russia. And those people are literally retarded.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

If that "40 mile train" grew from 17 miles over the weekend, how much of it was added by Belarusans?

17 miles of trucks does not meant 17 miles of trucks bumper-to-bumper.  It means there are 17 miles where there are Russian trucks with space in between them.

If the Russian leaders were savvy, it should have been a longer convoy with a helluva lot of space between the trucks.

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Our planes and the ones we sell are drastically different, especially the weapons systems. Not sure someone else can fly it if they haven't been through extensive training and we damn sure can't provide the pilot. It isn't as easy as hopping in and cruising around the neighborhood.

13 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

It doesn't matter how long this convoy is if the Russians can't/won't/don't deploy. They'd be infinitely more dangerous dismounted. I assume that somewhere up near the front they'd gotten off the roads and are fanning out to seize villages and suburbs? That'd make sense to me, so they probably aren't doing it.

I don’t know if they can get off the road. Spring thaw up there and it’s all marsh

• Drool 1