Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

Just now, ChiTownDoc said:

They are doing such a shitty job, it makes you wonder WTF is really going on.  The power, the lack of support.  The dropping elite units into 0 degree water.  I'm not sure how much of this is true but if even half of what we hear is true...they're failing miserably. 

Our capitalist economy is terribly flawed and inefficient. And our representative republic form of government leaves SO much to be desired.  Well it turns out there are other economic systems and forms of government that are worse.  Much worse.  I really believe it comes down to that.  Graft, corruption, sloth.  A generation of it.

9 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Has any reason been given why power is still on in all the major cities Russia is attacking? I would think that would be the first thing you knock out?

The only reasons given are different levels of miscalculation from Russian.

a) They feel like there'd be more support for this action in Ukraine than there has been. Especially in the east.

b) They felt like they could make a surgical attack on Kiev, kill/capture Zelensky and members of his cabinet, establish a puppet government, and get out of this relatively cleanly.

c) They know they're going to be involved in Ukraine for the long term. The less infrastructure they destroy and the fewer civilians they kill, the better off they'll be.

But with how fubared this thing has been from the Russian side, you can't completely rule out sheer incompetence. I don't know. Maybe they shot at generating/distribution infrastructure and missed, Star Wars stormtrooper style.

8 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Has any reason been given why power is still on in all the major cities Russia is attacking? I would think that would be the first thing you knock out?

Putin obviously underestimated the Ukrainian resolve for pushing back and most likely had not targeted critical infrastructure, as he would need it for his new puppet government he was to set up. Destroying just would cause more unrest by the Ukrainians plus the cost and effort to rebuild. Now I'm beginning to think that they don't have the means too. Lots of speculation has been said on this board as to why aren't the Ukrainians issuing a blackout, but it seems that would be even gloomier to the population now. Gotta keep the resolve and spirits up. My 2 cents.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

He's not dead and I talk to him.  I can put him on?  He hasn't lost all his marbles yet.  He does think I'm an idiot which would score points, I'd think.  

He saw your pics from Vegas? 

4 minutes ago, pops said:

He saw your pics from Vegas? 

He's seen a lot worse, lol

Anyways, mea culpa...here's the reality from someone who is miles ahead of dad or anyone on here.  Foreign MIGs by Ukraine pilots possible.  F-16, not without training.  Sounds like at least few weeks.  Getting a donated F16 to be flown by a non NATO pilot, possible but not easy.  And wouldn't get NATO in hot water presumably being that planes are already being donated.  Although here's the big catch - article expert says even another country that has an F-16 would need permission to lend it to Ukraine.  I'd have never guessed that.  Here's the juice: https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2022/02/can-ukraine-really-use-donated-fighter-jets-depends/362505/

Edited by ChiTownDoc

31 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I mean I do know a little, a lot by no means.  But is someone here more experienced?  Love to hear from them.  If you don't think there's very capable fighter jets that can be flown by euro pilots then I think you're wrong.  That's my lightly educated guess.  

Knowledge of jets and who can fly what has got nothing to do with it.  Any US to EU pilot/jet combo would be the same diplomatic problem.  A German flying an F-22 to attack the Russian convoy will piss them of just as much as an America piloting the F-22.  They may be perplexed for a moment why we bother with the German pilot if they found out we did such a bizarre tactic, but their reaction would be the same.     

Edited by synoptic

1 minute ago, synoptic said:

Knowledge of jets and who can fly what has got nothing to do with it.  Any combination of US to EU pilot/jet combo would be the same diplomatic problem.  A German flying an F-22 to attack the Russian convoy will piss them of just as much as an America piloting the F-22.  They may be perplexed for a moment why we bother with the German pilot if they found out we did such a bizarre tactic, but their reaction would be the same.     

See post right above yours, looked it up and it covers much of this.  MIGs seem most likely.  MIGs with ground support against those sitting ducks we see in that convoy?  We definitely can lend plenty of ground support equipment/artillery.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Maybe that convoy is so long because vehicles toward the front keep breaking down or running out of fuel. 

An Air Force forum I sometimes frequent had a guy with some dirt experience calling out all the little things the Ruskies seem to be failing at…equipment towing / being towed wrongly, smoke color indicative of pending diesel failure, tank turrets all pointed straight instead of covering all threat axis during tactical pauses, no infantry security or assigned traffic control, and complete disregard for commonly accepted mechanized tactics when operating in combat.  

Now who knows if that’s reflective of the Russians obsession with centralized control, poor NCO+ leadership, complete lack of morale by the troops, terrible logistics planning, inability or unwillingness to communicate, roughshod unit makeup, trash equipment, trash maintenance, ambiguous orders, or a mix of all of them.  

But it’s ClownPenis.Fart levels of incompetence for even a 15yo playing Command and Conquer.  

And it’s awesome. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

He's seen a lot worse, lol

Anyways, mea culpa...here's the reality from someone who is miles ahead of dad or anyone on here.  Foreign MIGs by Ukraine pilots possible.  F-16, not without training.  Sounds like at least few weeks.  Getting a donated F16 to be flown by a non NATO pilot, possible but not easy.  And wouldn't get NATO in hot water presumably being that planes are already being donated.  Although here's the big catch - article expert says even another country that has an F-16 would need permission to lend it to Ukraine.  I'd have never guessed that.  Here's the juice: https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2022/02/can-ukraine-really-use-donated-fighter-jets-depends/362505/

Yeah.  That's what we were trying to say there are plenty of jets plenty of pilots.  Just no government willing to do it.

2 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

That the convoy has been allowed to go so far without challenge makes me think something big is waiting for them.

2 hours ago, Deej said:

Ron Jeremy?

Years from now, Ukrainian children will learn in generalities about what went down during Operation Hedgehog. Specifics, however would be too disturbing. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Our capitalist economy is terribly flawed and inefficient. And our representative republic form of government leaves SO much to be desired.  Well it turns out there are other economic systems and forms of government that are worse.  Much worse.  I really believe it comes down to that.  Graft, corruption, sloth.  A generation of it.

The capitalist economy is flawed and inefficient compared to what? Hunting and gathering? I'm not trying to spiral the thread into something it shouldn't be, but I can't let that pass without comment. 

Capitalism isn't a holy grail, and it isn't an end all be all by itself, but there's no such thing as a perfect way to distribute limited resources. Somebody somewhere is going to get pissed. There isn't, however, a more efficient economic system. Efficiency isn't the issue. Equality is. The two are often incongruent and choices have to be made between the two.

And I don't agree regarding our government system, either. It's not our system that's the problem. It's the dynamics going on in this country that have been increasing its polarization for the last 50 years. There's not a government system in existence that would run effectively under these conditions. If anything it's been a testament to the robustness of the system that things haven't already gotten worse. 

Anyway, sorry about the post. But if you're silent then it's a tacit approval. 

• Hook 'Em 7

3 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Yeah.  That's what we were trying to say there are plenty of jets plenty of pilots.  Just no government willing to do it.

They already got to the point where they are giving jets.  And yes, Ukrainian pilots should be able to fly some of them.  Better than nothing.  We aren't gonna see Maverick and Goose but I'll take any MIGs targeting that convoy.  

Perhaps the most eye-popping of today’s pledges to ship weapons to the Ukrainian military was the European Union’s announcement that it would soon send fighter jets.

8 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

The capitalist economy is flawed and inefficient compared to what? Hunting and gathering? I'm not trying to spiral the thread into something it shouldn't be, but I can't let that pass without comment. 

Capitalism isn't a holy grail, and it isn't an end all be all by itself, but there's no such thing as a perfect way to distribute limited resources. Somebody somewhere is going to get pissed. There isn't, however, a more efficient economic system. Efficiency isn't the issue. Equality is. The two are often incongruent and choices have to be made between the two.

And I don't agree regarding our government system, either. It's not our system that's the problem. It's the dynamics going on in this country that have been increasing its polarization for the last 50 years. There's not a government system in existence that would run effectively under these conditions. If anything it's been a testament to the robustness of the system that things haven't already gotten worse. 

Anyway, sorry about the post. But if you're silent then it's a tacit approval. 

I'm joking.

9 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

Hiding in a bunker...sounds familiar.  

Google Translate: The German tabloid Bild, citing its sources in the secret services of Germany and Ukraine: Putin is hiding in a bunker in the Urals, private planes of Russian oligarchs have been confiscated, they are forbidden to leave the Russian Federation.

They're gonna take care of this guy.  Mafia capos gotta eat.  

11 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Even 38 year old canned goods were better than the first version of MREs.  Those things were fucking disgusting.  Well, the chicken a la king was edible.  The rest deserved the moniker "Meals Refused by Ethiopians."

Preach John Stamos GIF by Fuller House

Even worse was in the "tactical environment" of having to eat them cold.

Not like nowadays with the heat pack and the ALL IMPORTANT bottle of tabasco sauce. If you humped or jumped in with a bottle in your ruck (and it didn't break) everybody was ready to barter with you.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

Hiding in a bunker...sounds familiar.  

Google Translate: The German tabloid Bild, citing its sources in the secret services of Germany and Ukraine: Putin is hiding in a bunker in the Urals, private planes of Russian oligarchs have been confiscated, they are forbidden to leave the Russian Federation.

The official story is the long tables are because he's scared of covid, but I think he's scared of polonium tipped darts or straight razors. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

They already got to the point where they are giving jets.  And yes, Ukrainian pilots should be able to fly some of them.  Better than nothing.  We aren't gonna see Maverick and Goose but I'll take any MIGs targeting that convoy.  

Perhaps the most eye-popping of today’s pledges to ship weapons to the Ukrainian military was the European Union’s announcement that it would soon send fighter jets.

Yeah we have talked about those jets and how they have to be Ukrainians flying them and how they could only be flown from air bases from inside Ukraine.  I was curious to see them attack a convoy.  Because that will let us know if the Russian air force really was in disarray

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, GabrielsHorn said:

The problem is finding a ramp that isn’t a complete calamity. 

This is where I am today. So far this thing has been reported like an 80’s underdog movie, but no country is going to put boots on the ground to help Ukraine, and Russia has a lot of boots. I can’t help but think this is going to get really bad. 

NATO really fucked Ukraine by giving them the “someday” membership status and continuing to do €60B a year in energy business with a madman. 

2 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I am starting to panic seeing how large that convoy has become. Saying it is 40 miles long now. Hopefully, they will be up in those aircraft from Poland soon. Hope. Praying hard! Slava Ukraini!

Take out a couple dozen at the front and rear and they are turkey shoot 2.0 for local hunters at daybreak. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

The official story is the long tables are because he's scared of covid, but I think he's scared of polonium tipped darts or straight razors. 

"I'm not short, I'm just sitting really far away."

40 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Like a bunch of others have said, Putin may have thought it'd make it easier for a puppet government to rule if the lights were still on.

There's another option. One of the military Facebook groups I'm on, one of the members who was an Air Force pilot (he retired as a Lt. Col. but he's a cool Lt. Col. and did it to go fly civilian) said Russian pilots have shit hours compared to the West, and are simply not going to have the kinds of hours needed to be effective CAS/strike pilots.  He said the bulk of their hours flying in a typical year are going to be spent on just trying to maintain proficiency in the normal things a pilot does, let alone being effective combat pilots

Said former AF pilot is convinced that the lack of precision bombs (I'm guessing he means fancy laser-guided or GPS or whatever) being used is not because they are terrorizing the civilians with non-guided ("dumb") bombs, but because they are lacking in the expensive precision stuff, and it's almost a chicken-and-egg scenario - even if they had the precision munitions, they may not have been willing to spare the expense to train with them.

He said the precision stuff should have been raining down all over Ukraine, and comms, internet, power, etc., should have all been knocked out before Russian troops even thought about moving towards Kyiv.  So yeah, he's mystified about how all of this is playing out.

He said if Russian planners actually took into account the shittiness of their pilots' training and proficiency, they may opt to keep the lights on to help the pilots hit the cities.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Take out a couple dozen at the front and rear and they are turkey shoot 2.0 for local hunters at daybreak. 

The further from the Belarus border, the better, as long as it's hit before getting in range of Kyiv. 

They are still days out at this pace. Plenty of time. 

10 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Your earlier quote was "Let's scramble some of our best jets and slap a Ukrainian flag on whatever pilot volunteers to do God's work.  I know it's not that simple - but it's also not that much more complicated."  We do that and we are now in the war.  The nationality of the pilot wouldn't be the main point of contention for Russia.  They probably wouldn't even bother checking his passport.     

7 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

It's truly fascinating how some short men are completely crippled emotionally because they need help with stuff on the top of the fridge.

I was baffled earlier today.  He was in a photograph with Pres. Trump (noCR).  And it was a complete non-trick angle.  And he looked maybe an inch, two at the most, shorter than Trump.  There are other sites with the same photo, so it wasn't manipulated by Russian media...he looks like he's 6'1".  I just don't get it.

2 minutes ago, synoptic said:

Your earlier quote was "Let's scramble some of our best jets and slap a Ukrainian flag on whatever pilot volunteers to do God's work.  I know it's not that simple - but it's also not that much more complicated."  We do that and we are now in the war.  The nationality of the pilot wouldn't be the main point of contention for Russia.  They probably wouldn't even bother checking his passport.     

Yes, I definitely said it's not that simple - BUT it's quite a bit more complicated then I gave it credit for.  I still hold out hope.  Donated MIGs and Ukrainian pilots give me hope.  And through all the BS I did learn that Ukrainian pilots can actually fly nonRussian MIGs so I'll continue to hold out us targeting that god damned convoy.  

4 minutes ago, Homercles said:

For all y’all talking about wanting F16s donated to Ukraine, I’d love to see you hop in a MiG and tell me what any of the buttons/steam gauges do.  Even YourMom or Batronic trying would end up…poorly

image.gif.a5c5fb979d94b7581cb447d811472b1f.gif

To be fair, I was also hoping some pilot from another country or unaffiliated could fly it as well.  I guess we are at the hope in one hand and shit in the other phase...

Just a lot of pieces that don't quite fit together.  It's grim but not hopeless.  

14 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

This is where I am today. So far this thing has been reported like an 80’s underdog movie, but no country is going to put boots on the ground to help Ukraine, and Russia has a lot of boots. I can’t help but think this is going to get really bad. 

If you are talking infantry, they clearly don't have the infantry to guard their own convoys, let alone takeover Ukraine.

Hell, if that force of 190,000 troops were 100% infantry, that's still not enough to take over Ukraine.

They are rolling with less than 50,000 actual infantry into a country that's not much smaller than Texas, but has 40+ million people.

Imagine trying to takeover Texas with 50,000 soldiers.  Or even just take over Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Fort Worth, El Paso, and Corpus.

23 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Preach John Stamos GIF by Fuller House

Even worse was in the "tactical environment" of having to eat them cold.

Not like nowadays with the heat pack and the ALL IMPORTANT bottle of tabasco sauce. If you humped or jumped in with a bottle in your ruck (and it didn't break) everybody was ready to barter with you.

Tabasco = must have on deployment