Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

1 hour ago, FartingMonk said:
1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Giving Ukranians planes seems fine. When we get volunteers to fly jets in Ukraine, Russia probably won't take it so well.

We did that during world war 2.

There has to be a gray line at some point. If we were fighting in Iraq, Russia giving Iraqis planes would seem to be fair game. But if Russians Mercenaries were flying them, that would be closer to that gray line where we would consider declaring war. It is interesting because that seems to only hold true for planes. Although sending in mercenaries into Ukraine and handing those same mercenaries drones, seems to be close to that gray line as well.

40 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Hey did anyone respond to what the thread title translates to yet?

Also - to the comment earlier about the sanctions impact.  Under what scenario would those be withdrawn?  If Putin were to actually control Ukraine - I can't imagine any of the western countries choosing to remove them. But even if somehow someway - Putin accepted defeat and withdrew all forces, why would we let up?  He very well could just attack again in the future.  I'd argue they should stick until he is disposed of and the actions condemned by the replacement government/leader.

Yeah about 4 times

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

There has to be a gray line at some point. If we were fighting in Iraq, Russia giving Iraqis planes would seem to be fair game. But if Russians Mercenaries were flying them, that would be closer to that gray line where we would consider declaring war. It is interesting because that seems to only hold true for planes. Although sending in mercenaries into Ukraine and handing those same mercenaries drones, seems to be close to that gray line as well.

I remember watching some Korean War documentary and F-86 pilots saying some of the Mig-15's had pilots who definitely weren't asian.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

BB gun and firework wars. 

Our friend was walking home while the rest of us stood in my front yard.  He was probably around 70 yards away when a couple of us began lofting shots at him.  Chad got a little mad and called us "faggots" and shouted something about how he'd eventually beat all of our asses if one even got close.  We laughed and kept launching shots because it was futile -- until Chad dropped, clutching his ankle and making high-pitched animal noises while writhing in pain.  It was like 'Lonesome Dove' when Gus used his extended sights on the taunting outlaw, except dumb and totally pointless.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I think we also need to talk about the very structure of the Russian Army, and whether it is contributing to this.  Russia now organizes its army into "battalion tactical groups."  It's a combined-arms concept--each BTG is going to have infantry, artillery, and air defense, along with its logistics and engineering.  But he punchline on that is that you've got only 200 infantry in a BTG that has 800 total guys.  And that's just not a lot to guard your supply lines.

There's a lot to be said for the maneuverability that comes with such small units.  And the self-contained combined-arms aspect is real attractive.  But if they can't secure their supply lines on their own, and if they can't forage effectively in hostile territory, what maneuverability do they really have?

32 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I cliff jumped blindly from a 30 ft cliff in high school and landed in less than 5 ft of water.  Very thankful I went feet first and only had to deal with my orthopedic doc.  We also played with lawn darts.

Amateur..

My son jumping off a 70’ waterfall in Hawaii 35 years ago...

3CC9E76C-46B2-4C98-A412-C61E889F6DA3.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I think we also need to talk about the very structure of the Russian Army, and whether it is contributing to this.  Russia now organizes its army into "battalion tactical groups."  It's a combined-arms concept--each BTG is going to have infantry, artillery, and air defense, along with its logistics and engineering.  But he punchline on that is that you've got only 200 infantry in a BTG that has 800 total guys.  And that's just not a lot to guard your supply lines.

There's a lot to be said for the maneuverability that comes with such small units.  And the self-contained combined-arms aspect is real attractive.  But if they can't secure their supply lines on their own, and if they can't forage effectively in hostile territory, what maneuverability do they really have?

Agreed. You ever hear the old travel saw about how you should take twice as much money as you think you need, and half as much stuff? When invading, infantry are money and tanks are stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, George said:

Why haven’t they taken out the road yet?

I am starting to panic seeing how large that convoy has become. Saying it is 40 miles long now. Hopefully, they will be up in those aircraft from Poland soon. Hope. Praying hard! Slava Ukraini!

6 minutes ago, Deej said:

I remember watching some Korean War documentary and F-86 pilots saying some of the Mig-15's had pilots who definitely weren't asian.

Same thing happened in Vietnam. We knew there were Russians in those planes. They knew we knew. No one said a word out loud about it, and the press didn’t ask questions. Just like we knew it wasn’t Asians operating the SAMs, too. 

Probably helped it represented a token defense of air space. Even during the famous retreat from the Chosin reservoir, where a robust defense of air superiority would have been an unmitigated disaster for UN troops in conjunction with the Chinese surprise attack, the US was able to launch sorties with impudence. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The world at large seems to think Ukraine can hold them off. This is not CR but during the Obama Administration, their CIA Director said that they were reluctant to arm Ukraine with sophisticated weaponry (Javelins) for fear the technology would fall into Russia’s hands. The world is just handing Ukraine now what they can without regard for this now to help them fight and to win. This gives me hope that Ukraine can hold those fuckers off and defeat them. Not a criticism of the decision back then. It’s a statement in what is happening right now. Short of NATO firing weapons and aircraft at them or creating a no fly zone they are doing the most they can. 

As I watched Russia stumble around and fist their own assholes as they started the invasion, I wondered if it was a ploy to get their hands on all of these weapons that would be provided.

We shall soon see.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, FartingMonk said:

Well it looks like my old boat finished refit early and just went to go poke holes in the ocean

img_1_1646091073139.jpg

Cool to see your boat is still active. Something broke in me when my old ship was decommissioned and sunk during a training exercise 

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I am starting to panic seeing how large that convoy has become. Saying it is 40 miles long now. Hopefully, they will be up in those aircraft from Poland soon. Hope. Praying hard! Slava Ukraini!

Relax. Nothing you can do. Don't panic. Crack open a dozen or so Smirnoff Ice Screwdrivers.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I wonder if it's some kind of weird hostage trade-off. That Russian convoy all clogged up, maybe the Ukrainians are offering to left them leave un-BBQ'd if the Russians dial back artillery strikes on civilians.

Just trying to think like somebody smarter than a general, y'know, like a comedian.

3 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I sure as fuck hope so because it is game over if not. Praying hard. Slava Ukraini!

It won't be game over.  The conflict started centuries ago.  It's not going to end tonight or any time soon.   If Russia takes Kyiv they'll do so with a population that hates them, a crushed economy, and isolation from the rest of the world except for maybe Belarus.

1 minute ago, lemonlime said:

It won't be game over.  The conflict started centuries ago.  It's not going to end tonight or any time soon.   If Russia takes Kyiv they'll do so with a population that hates them, a crushed economy, and isolation from the rest of the world except for maybe Belarus.

I want Zelenskyy and his group to survive that’s why I want this convoy and any convoy coming after it torched and blown the fuck up.

Chavez dies, you get Maduro

Castro dies, you get mas Castro

Epstein dies, he’s still alive. 

Putin will die, some rich sick fuck will be there  

We haven’t figured out how to kill cancer. Just contain it. 

Something don’t change. Like ou sucking and Jerry ruining my cowboys. 

Edited by Gucci_Suit

13 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

The thing I’ve seen numerous times, and it’s the same thing tickling the back of our brains for all of us who follow some of this stuff obsessively, is why do the Russians seems so completely and utterly incompetent in this campaign versus what we’ve seen in Syria? I’ve seen speculation regarding that which makes sense, but it still astounds me. I followed them in Georgia versus Crimea and the Donbas, and the improvement was night and day. The stuff we’re seeing now harkens back to their incompetence in Georgia, and in Chechnya both 1 and 2. 

The special forces landing and capturing airports then left to fend for themselves with no support coming in. The constant separation between forward offensive forces and their support, leaving the support vulnerable and the assault out of gas and food. The grounding of the preponderance of their Air Force. The indiscriminate use of helicopters with no additional air support, leaving them naked to ground based attacks, with no reprisals.  The lack of night gear. The lack of intelligence warfare. The lack of information warfare. The lack of cyber attacks. 

The whole thing has been bizarre to me. 

• Hook 'Em 3