Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yes, I definitely said it's not that simple - BUT it's quite a bit more complicated then I gave it credit for.  I still hold out hope.  Donated MIGs and Ukrainian pilots give me hope.  And through all the BS I did learn that Ukrainian pilots can actually fly nonRussian MIGs so I'll continue to hold out us targeting that god damned convoy.  

Fair enough.  By the way, I got a Polish friend to type this for me.  Took me awhile to train him on my Latin alphabet keyboard, but if you have any issue with this exchange, then you need to take it up with him 😉   

41 minutes ago, Homercles said:

An Air Force forum I sometimes frequent had a guy with some dirt experience calling out all the little things the Ruskies seem to be failing at…equipment towing / being towed wrongly, smoke color indicative of pending diesel failure, tank turrets all pointed straight instead of covering all threat axis during tactical pauses, no infantry security or assigned traffic control, and complete disregard for commonly accepted mechanized tactics when operating in combat.  

Now who knows if that’s reflective of the Russians obsession with centralized control, poor NCO+ leadership, complete lack of morale by the troops, terrible logistics planning, inability or unwillingness to communicate, roughshod unit makeup, trash equipment, trash maintenance, ambiguous orders, or a mix of all of them.  

But it’s ClownPenis.Fart levels of incompetence for even a 15yo playing Command and Conquer.  

And it’s awesome. 

And you know of this person through the internet, you say? I'm on board!

3 minutes ago, synoptic said:

Fair enough.  By the way, I got a Polish friend to type this for me.  Took me awhile to train him on my Latin alphabet keyboard, but if you have any issue with this exchange, then you need to take it up with him 😉   

No idea where you're from, my friend, but welcome.  Been married to a Slovak for 10 years now and I still just know the basics lol.  You're doing quite well.  

Yep, I like people who don't see how we matter to them, only how they matter to us.  It's a 2 way street.  China is fucking garbage without us.  Is Russia or NK gonna buy all their bullshit?  Give me a break.  
Underestimate China at your own peril. Big advantages to having 50 year plans and authoritarian governments- you get shit done

1 minute ago, Born to Run said:

That's pretty fucking niave thinking.

China is prolly buying in your neighborhood

It’s not naive thinking.  They literally can’t afford to stop doing business with the US.  Their communist party would cease to exist if they stopped selling boats full of rubber dogshit to regarded Americans.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Like a bunch of others have said, Putin may have thought it'd make it easier for a puppet government to rule if the lights were still on.

There's another option. One of the military Facebook groups I'm on, one of the members who was an Air Force pilot (he retired as a Lt. Col. but he's a cool Lt. Col. and did it to go fly civilian) said Russian pilots have shit hours compared to the West, and are simply not going to have the kinds of hours needed to be effective CAS/strike pilots.  He said the bulk of their hours flying in a typical year are going to be spent on just trying to maintain proficiency in the normal things a pilot does, let alone being effective combat pilots

Said former AF pilot is convinced that the lack of precision bombs (I'm guessing he means fancy laser-guided or GPS or whatever) being used is not because they are terrorizing the civilians with non-guided ("dumb") bombs, but because they are lacking in the expensive precision stuff, and it's almost a chicken-and-egg scenario - even if they had the precision munitions, they may not have been willing to spare the expense to train with them.

He said the precision stuff should have been raining down all over Ukraine, and comms, internet, power, etc., should have all been knocked out before Russian troops even thought about moving towards Kyiv.  So yeah, he's mystified about how all of this is playing out.

He said if Russian planners actually took into account the shittiness of their pilots' training and proficiency, they may opt to keep the lights on to help the pilots hit the cities.

Thanks. I've been questioning where the fuck is the RU air control over the last couple of days.

5 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

The Chinese buying homes in your neighborhood use that as their lifeline in case the CCP snatches all their domestic holdings because they get sideways with the party.   

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Born to Run said:
1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:
Yep, I like people who don't see how we matter to them, only how they matter to us.  It's a 2 way street.  China is fucking garbage without us.  Is Russia or NK gonna buy all their bullshit?  Give me a break.  

Underestimate China at your own peril. Big advantages to having 50 year plans and authoritarian governments- you get shit done

I'm not underestimating them.  I'm saying we matter just as much to them as they do to us.  That's pretty much exactly what I said in my post.  Point Blank.  I still think fairly highly of this country's economic/military power - even if it's a total shitshow with infighting.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Our planes and the ones we sell are drastically different, especially the weapons systems. Not sure someone else can fly it if they haven't been through extensive training and we damn sure can't provide the pilot. It isn't as easy as hopping in and cruising around the neighborhood.

I can fly. I’m pilot
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Preach John Stamos GIF by Fuller House

Even worse was in the "tactical environment" of having to eat them cold.

Not like nowadays with the heat pack and the ALL IMPORTANT bottle of tabasco sauce. If you humped or jumped in with a bottle in your ruck (and it didn't break) everybody was ready to barter with you.

When we were going to train in the field I would go to a nearby meat market and get some dried beef and dried sausage.  I would easily turn a 1000% profit on it.  Everyone threw out those damn dehydrated "meat" patties and had dried meat instead.  I almost cried the first time I saw one of the mini bottles of Tabasco in later MREs.  About damn time.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Even 38 year old canned goods were better than the first version of MREs.  Those things were fucking disgusting.  Well, the chicken a la king was edible.  The rest deserved the moniker "Meals Refused by Ethiopians."

Charms candy and mini tobacco goes a long way. (Never in the military, but my brother used to buy them for fun. ).
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, 4doorsMoreWhores said:

And you know of this person through the internet, you say? I'm on board!

I went to high school with him.  A group of us who were in JROTC together in high school actually went on to serve in the military at some point in the '90s and we have a FB group.  

It's funny, for all of the JROTC units in Fort Bend ISD (they used to try and have one at each high school), it's surprising how few graduates went on to actual military service (at least pre-9/11).  And most of us did not go the officer route, but that's for another thread, as I have a theory about JROTC units and their output of future enlistees vs college grads/officers.  I know it's probably different for us vs say the San Antonio units who were fully of military brats.

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Chinese citizens are buying condos/property all over.  That's because they don't trust their government and it's a way to get a visa while also parking assets outside of their  unscrupulous government's grasp.  It's not the Chinese government buying in our neighborhoods.  And I know this because half of Trump Chicago in early 2010's was being bought up by the Chinese, site unseen.  Hell, I was renting 81F from a Chinese lady who had never set foot in Chicago.  Just wanted to park their money outside of their shady ass country.  Also they have moved to hard assets and not quite as much in property because they realize it's fairly easy to track... very high end watches are a new favorite. 

• Like 1

SIAP but I was watching some Horns v Baylor basketball a bit tonite as the news is just sometimes too much. 

Take that for what you will. Was hoping the street combat thing would be further down the road if not at all but knew different. Fuck Putin and I hope he does in his bunker tonite or tomorrow. Slava Ukraini! 

трахайся и узнай Влада!

trakhaysya i uznay Vlada!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Parliament said:

I'm joking.

I read it as a variation of Churchill's "Democracy is the worst form of government.  Except for all the others that have been tried."

Similarly, "Capitalism is the worst economic system, except for all the others."

Keep calm and carry on.

11 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

The Chinese buying homes in your neighborhood use that as their lifeline in case the CCP snatches all their domestic holdings because they get sideways with the party.   

Nevrermind the hundreds of billions that have flowed into the U.S. in the last 10 years in the form of EB-5 money.  It's slowed down quite a bit, but those assets can't be recalled/remitted back home.  Presumably, enough for many of them to live off of back here in the U.S. of Stuff.

19 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I can fly. I’m pilot

Amen. Drink a half gallon of whiskey a week, smoke a cigar nightly. Last flight physical was 15 years ago, on BP meds, and statins. Single engine land (so F-16). VFR only, so minimal night time, and stay away from clouds. Got 300 hours flight time, what could go wrong? 

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
Cause
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Homercles said:

For all y’all talking about wanting F16s donated to Ukraine, I’d love to see you hop in a MiG and tell me what any of the buttons/steam gauges do.  Even YourMom or Batronic trying would end up…poorly

image.gif.a5c5fb979d94b7581cb447d811472b1f.gif

You mean reading Cyrillic, metric gauges and an attitude indicator that views the plane from the ground instead of the horizon?

Just spitballing here, and stick with me….What if we give foreign pilots 737 Maxs loaded with explosives? 😁

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, CHIEF said:

Amen. Drink a half gallon of whiskey a week, smoke a cigar nightly. Last flight physical was 15 years ago, on BP meds, and statins. Single engine land (so F-16). VFR only, so minimal night time, and stay away from clouds. Got 300 hours flight time, what go wrong? 

"I'm back meme", left to you other fuckers.

CHIEF

See!!!  We are in business baby!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Amen. Drink a half gallon of whiskey a week, smoke a cigar nightly. Last flight physical was 15 years ago, on BP meds, and statins. Single engine land (so F-16). VFR only, so minimal night time, and stay away from clouds. Got 300 hours flight time, what go wrong? 

"I'm back meme", left to you other fuckers.

CHIEF

He was quoting Randy Quaid in Independence Day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I thought he was quoting Pat Robertson.  Either way, both 'em should be strapped into a jet and sent straight into the sun.  Just like that movie with Will Smith. 

1 minute ago, dcbc said:

No, no not really. I originally tied it to that, but the edit is reality. A crop duster would have many more hours. I would have to suck in my gut, and loose 30 lbs. to check my six.

CHIEF

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I thought he was quoting Pat Robertson.  Either way, both 'em should be strapped into a jet and sent straight into the sun.  Just like that movie with Will Smith. 

Jet engines don't work in space.  And there are a lot of Will Smith movie references in play.  But we can try?

Edited by dcbc

42 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

I've been questioning where the fuck is the RU air control over the last couple of days.

Somebody wondered if some of it is due to them being scared of friendly fire incidents, but that doesn't explain the opening 24 hours when they could have been doing a lot more, when not as many Russian units were engaged/close to Ukrainian units.

The whole thing is still so fucking weird.  This one particular FB group I'm in has a variety of people who went to high school together and almost all of us who enlisted did it in the late 80s/early 90s when the military was still somewhat stuck on the Cold War mentality (even as the Soviet Union/Eastern Europe was changing) and still trained that way.  Even those who did college/military academy first still entered the military in the mid/late-90s when Russia was the Big Baddie.

And those strategies we had still trained on had clearly worked in the first Gulf War.  The logistics chains we used to move a massive amount of materials to Saudi Arabia, as well as in-depth combined arms attack/movement weren't something that was ginned up in late 1990 as a response to Kuwait's invasion. That was all based on plans to reinforce Europe, fight in Central Europe, and those plans probably stretched back to the '70s.

But that raises another issue.  Our military these days are led by folks around 15 years older than me, and they had to pivot from the early 80s Cold War stuff to things like the Balkans, and Afghanistan and later Iraq 2003, but the US pivoted, even if it was painful at times.

The Russians can't seem to pivot, especially if they are repeating mistakes they made in the 1990s and on up through Syria.  This whole BTG thing seems like a colossal fuckup.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, synoptic said:

Knowledge of jets and who can fly what has got nothing to do with it.  Any US to EU pilot/jet combo would be the same diplomatic problem.  A German flying an F-22 to attack the Russian convoy will piss them of just as much as an America piloting the F-22.  They may be perplexed for a moment why we bother with the German pilot if they found out we did such a bizarre tactic, but their reaction would be the same.     

Should score some of those free Russian passports being tossed around in the Donbas and declare themselves as the new Russian liberation air force.

Two articles.

One a sobering interview with Fiona Hill about Putin.

The other a hypothetical about what happens if Putin fails.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/02/28/world-war-iii-already-there-00012340

https://www.commentary.org/noah-rothman/what-if-russia-loses/

Edited by SizzleChest
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

You mean reading Cyrillic, metric gauges and an attitude indicator that views the plane from the ground instead of the horizon?

Just spitballing here, and stick with me….What if we give foreign pilots 737 Maxs loaded with explosives? 😁

Blink 182 Reaction GIF

• Haha 1