Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

For those drawing a parallel to Poland in 1939, the Poles actually put up a pretty good fight against the Germans.    I'm not saying that they had any particular success but they were still in the fight and putting up significant resistance for two weeks after the Germans invaded.   They would have lost no matter what but when the Soviets came in behind them, it was lights out.

2 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Yes, that was an external punitive action.

Norks and Russia face an internally created punitive action. More in line with telling your kid he will not get out of his room unless he apologizes to his mother. He controls his own fate.

It was an external punitive action that resulted from German aggression against her neighbors.  The treaty so utterly decimated the German economy that it led to the rise of a nationalistic state and the obvious actions that followed.  

We have to be careful with how we treat this.  There are a myriad of professionals that understand this better than any of us, but we have to have a path to redemption for Russia or we risk a similar path.  There has to be the communication that there is a path out of this and a way to remove these sanctions to allow Russia to recover.  

This is less relevant, but it omitted many of the smaller countries that bore some of the greatest brunt of the fighting and redrew so many lines on the map that we are still dealing with the fallout.  

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I can tell you a phone call I got the other night kind of refutes this a bit.  Our military has been scrambling to figure out exactly what the failed invasion is the result of. They were completely caught off guard by how inept this has been, and what it means going forward. That's from somebody that works on this type of issue.  

There was a good summary of this point in one of the earlier post.

My summary of the good post: Acccept everything that we have seen about Russia's military prowess this week (poor intel, planning & execution, personnel, etc.)

Russia  used a significant portion of their front line military equipment in Syria, including losing front line aircraft and a using a disproportionate amount of their "smart bombs"/cruise missles, the stand off weapons that can be deployed from a distance.  Even in Syria, they went to gravity bombing that exposes aircraft, because the more stand off weapons were not available.  In Ukraine, they utilized aircraft to launch cruise missles over the land base platforms because?, they were out of them?  Why deploy a plane when you can push a button. This ponts to the Russia budget v. what was actually spent on military hardware. They have the cheap stuff in spades, tanks & people; the high tech weapons that are a $100,000/bullet, not so much.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Interesting 

https://www.politico.eu/article/finland-nato-membership-sanna-marin-ukraine-russia/

Not as definitive as the tweet makes it out. Finns got the required 50,000 signatures that requires parliament to debate the referendum 

The fact they they re debating it has to be pissing off Putin.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Politically and logistically it makes more sense to let the Czechs do it. The Slovaks literally barely have enough time to turn around their MiGs before they hit Czech borders.  This is more like letting North Carolina take over air cap for South Carolina for a few years. 

And the older Czech military should be familiar with the Slovakian geography, maybe not too many pilots flew when they were still united.

6 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

It was an external punitive action that resulted from German aggression against her neighbors. 

Ah, I see we're still blaming Germany for WWI starting.  I'm am absolutely NOT saying they had a role in it but the failure to prevent war is on all of the players.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Constant said:

Possibly. Hard to see. The one going down warms the heart, though. 

Its also from day 1.   if you click the twitter link the 2 guys shooting stingers are in the replies.  

and I rewatched 3 times, I only see 4 Helos. and only 1 went down.... but the 3rd one came dangerously close to the water... maybe it was hit and was able to recover enough to get away from the main attack.

45 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

The thing that is really the most surprising to me is the overall lack of troops for an operation this size.  It is almost like they believed their own propaganda so much to the point that they expected to use the limited troop build up to just advance and not to have to fight protracted engagements or to maintain troops to protect supply lines or garrison captured territory.

Looking back at this, if they would have had 5 to 10 times as many ground forces deployed at the start, this would be over. That being said, if they had amassed that many troops beforehand the political climate pre-invasion  would have been radically different.

It is almost like they tried to thread the needle on how large of a force could be staged nearby that wouldn’t trigger an overwhelming political response prior to the invasion and never did the math to figure out if that would have been enough.

All of this.  I still have not seen where they are going to get the infantry to take Kyiv, because they clearly don’t have enough right now.  Sure, they will level it, but they can’t take it/occupy it.  And it will turn into a massive resource suck that will allow other parts of the country to either get back on their feet, or stay on their feet.  Hell, that convoy people are freaking out about - a small fraction of that will be actual infantry.

15 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Ah, I see we're still blaming Germany for WWI starting.  I'm am absolutely NOT saying they had a role in it but the failure to prevent war is on all of the players.

Fair enough.  I'm saying you back a nuclear power into too tight of a corner, they can and will strike back if they feel that they have no other choices.  There has to be a clear path out of these sanctions and the ability to allow Russia to recover

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Even Ukraine cut the cord and streams all their TV. Joke's on you, little man.

Russia announced it would be hitting communications and “spy” targets in Ukraine and alleged that it was in reaction to Ukraines information war and psyops against Russia. Translation— Russia is losing the info war and wants to seed panic and crush war.

Lots of videos of troops getting accosted by civilians blocking tanks and other vehicles, harassment, etc.  Very reminiscent of Czechoslovakia 1968 except the UA army is fighting hard.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

12 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

All of this.  I still have not seen where they are going to get the infantry to take Kyiv, because they clearly don’t have enough right now.  Sure, they will level it, but they can’t take it/occupy it.  And it will turn into a massive resource suck that will allow other parts of the country to either get back on their feet, or stay on their feet.  Hell, that convoy people are freaking out about - a small fraction of that will be actual infantry.

They're running out of smart weapons.  Are we confident they even have enough dumb bombs, fuel/air bombs, etc to level much?

2 hours ago, GW Hayduke said:

Or removed from power.  That is the end game here.  Regime change.  

We have moved the front lines of authoritarianism vs liberal democracy from the ballot box of western countries (including the US) to Ukraine.  I think it is possible Putin stays in power and eventually succeeds in Ukraine, but his economy, military, and influence around the world that they have worked decades to achieve will be shattered.  What we do after that will be important. 

I guess I don’t see a scenario where he’s removed from power and is still living. 

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Time to cancel that trip to Cancun. 

MEXICO CITY, March 1 (Reuters) - Mexico will not impose any economic sanctions on Russia for invading Ukraine, Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said on Tuesday.

He also criticized what he called censorship of Russian state-sponsored media by social media companies.

"We are not going to take any sort of economic reprisal because we want to have good relations with all the governments in the world," Lopez Obrador told a news conference.

What a cunt

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

6 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Russia announced it would be hitting communications and “spy” targets in Ukraine and alleged that it was in reaction to Ukraines information war and psyops against Russia. Translation— Russia is losing the info war and wants to seed panic and crush war.

Lots of videos of troops getting accosted by civilians blocking tanks and other vehicles, harassment, etc.  Very reminiscent of Czechoslovakia 1968 except the UA army is fighting hard.  

And...   One of the major difference between 1968 and now....   There aren't Warsaw Pact troops and tanks already stationed inside Ukraine.   The Ukrainians are on their home field, with a raucous crowd supporting everything their army is doing.

6 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Time to cancel that trip to Cancun. 

MEXICO CITY, March 1 (Reuters) - Mexico will not impose any economic sanctions on Russia for invading Ukraine, Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said on Tuesday.

He also criticized what he called censorship of Russian state-sponsored media by social media companies.

"We are not going to take any sort of economic reprisal because we want to have good relations with all the governments in the world," Lopez Obrador told a news conference.

So are we now justified in annexing Isla Mujeras? 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Macanudo said:

And...   One of the major difference between 1968 and now....   There aren't Warsaw Pact troops and tanks already stationed inside Ukraine.   The Ukrainians are on their home field, with a raucous crowd armed with rifles and molotov cocktails ready to kill every Russian they see.

FIFY

5 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

"trying to"  is the operative statement.... they fucking missed the TV tower.  

Meanwhile we were doing shit in the first Gulf War that makes these Russians look like fucking amateurs.  

And I came across an article that collected photos from damaged/abandoned Russian vehicles, and they aren’t seeing GPS devices, or even mounts for them.  Toss that onto the pile of things like a lack of night vision gear and lack of optics on rifles.  

• Hook 'Em 2