Players Skipping Bowl Games Thread

Patrick Bateman

As a fan of college football, I hope tons of players sit out.  The more the better.   It can only contribute to the demise of this 19th century, exhibition-game post-season that's preventing the best sport in the world from having a legitimate playoff tournament and legitimate national champion at the end of the year.   

I know, 6-6 teams will no longer be able to .500 their way into the Puxatony weedeater bowl, played in front of dozens of fans, but that's the price we must pay.

Boycott the bowls, kids.  Do it for yourself, but more importantly, do it for millions of fans who deserve a real playoff at the end of college football seasons.

• Like 7
  • Fuck You 1

As a fan of college football, I hope tons of players sit out.  The more the better.   It can only contribute to the demise of this 19th century, exhibition-game post-season that's preventing the best sport in the world from having a legitimate playoff tournament and legitimate national champion at the end of the year.   
I know, 6-6 teams will no longer be able to .500 their way into the Puxatony weedeater bowl, played in front of dozens of fans, but that's the price we must pay.
Boycott the bowls, kids.  Do it for yourself, but more importantly, do it for millions of fans who deserve a real playoff at the end of college football seasons.

Yeah, because the way college football has been for 100 years really suck. Fucking “leaders of tomorrow.” Shoot me now.
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, BigVegasHorn26 said:

Wonder how long it’ll take before HS players who have already committed start doing this?  

A high 4*-5* talent on a shit team that won’t make the playoffs or won’t have any real chance of winning in playoffs.  Why not just shut it down and train for next level.  

I was thinking the same thing after watching the North Shore RB. Commit your Jr year, sit out your Sr year and graduate in Dec to enroll early.

10 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

Yeah, because the way college football has been for 100 years really suck. Fucking “leaders of tomorrow.” Shoot me now.

Do you ride a coal powered train to your roadside blacksmithing hut every day?  Shaking your fist at the 'futuristic' cars zooming by.

"Slow down, you idiot kids!" 

Edited by Monster
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Monster said:

MAFA, make football great again...... LOL

Edited by Extra Anejo

This will be quite the common thing for those guys that for sure are probably going to be drafted. Guys in the National Championship races probably will play. It will be interesting to see if one of them will sit out those games. I'm guessing nobody has sat out in the 1-4 Playoff. These other bowls are meaningless, again, for the sure-fire first rounders. 

Rashan Gary from Michigan was smart to sit out the bowl, heck he sat out the game against Ohio State so he should be very ready for the draft.

4 hours ago, gecko said:

Both missed multiple games to end the season with injuries.  Jordan Brailford also declared for the draft but will play in the bowl game.  I don't care either way.  I respect the decisions made by these guys.  They don't get paid and have millions at stake.  No need to risk that kind of money to help Cheez-It with its marketing campaign.

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

AJ Brown declared for the draft..... Doubtful he plays in the bowl game.  In fact, I'm going to say no way.  😉

That is difficult to read.  The point of emphasizing certain words by enlarging them to varying degrees cannot make up for the fact that reading that graphic is a beating. 

21 hours ago, BurntOrangeCrush said:

They have an article on CBS Sports about underclassmen and whether they should stay in school or declare for the draft. LJH, CJ, and Brandon Jones are not on the list FWIW.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-draft-underclassmen-tracker-who-should-declare-who-should-go-back-to-school/

I know many here think both or at least one of CJ or LJH goes.  But I've yet to see a mock draft that has either of them in the top two rounds.  This year's receiver class is absolutely loaded.  

I think they both return.  

• Like 1

There is no such thing as a meaningless game. Contests are inherently meaningful. For the same reason people like to ‘win’ online conversations, people are driven to win at sports. College football will also always have additional import, including showing loyalty to brothers and school. Criticizing the championship as less meaningful because it is not an NCAA tournament flies in the face of the total lack of legitimacy typically granted to the NCAA in other discussions. Virtually any player would quit early for $10 billion. None for $.02. Like us, they operate on value judgments that are usually both qualitative and quantitative. Let them decide what price is fair for them— after all, we are not talking about murder for hire— merely in which games to play.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Has anyone said we should send them a bill for their tuition yet?  That one always gives me a chuckle.

maybe include in their scholarship contracts an exception making them responsible for the fall semester's tuition for not finishing out the football season.  I'd assume that almost 70% of the players would not garner enough scholarship money (academic or otherwise) without the fact that they play football.  and let's be real about starting an amateur league, ain't nobody going to watch that shit.  I watch Texas because of the name on the front of the jersey.

I gotta admit I think it's bush league leaving your team, but I guess they have the right to do so.  I know if I was on the team and some of my teammates skipped the bowl game I would be pretty disappointed with them.  All of this "brotherhood" talk and whatnot and you just bail. 

If you’re a first rounder talent you’re an idiot to go out and play another game. If you have the chance to play for a title, well that makes it a really tough decision. Hedge your bet and buy as big a policy as you can afford. I’m sure your future agent will front the cash.

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 6:14 PM, A’Dam Psycho said:

It’s amazing to me how much people truly don’t understand how epically stupid paying players would be. It will literally fuck up the sport in so many ways it’s ridiculous 

Yeah, no player up to this point in college football history has ever been paid.  <snort>

maybe include in their scholarship contracts an exception making them responsible for the fall semester's tuition for not finishing out the football season.

The only people sitting out are the ones that know they’re about to get PAID. You believe the cost of one semester would change their decision?

I won’t judge these guys for skipping a bowl (or the last part of the season as we’ve seen in some cases) as they have major money on the line.  I also won’t have the same fan appreciation of those who skipped out early. I don’t know where our season would have ended had we had Elliott, Malik, Williams and Dicko on this squad.  I appreciate all they gave for us, but it feels unfinished. Just footnotes.

On 12/5/2018 at 1:28 PM, David Dennison said:

I can't wait til a top five pick sits out the playoffs, because that day is coming and it will be glorious, mainly for the hand wringing and tsk-tsking.

I don't see this happening. Not for a playoff game. These players want to be on the field if it means they have a shot to be crowned champ. I mean unless the player was injured during the season and then was cleared to play leading up to the game but the risk of aggravating or having a more extensive injury was not worth it for his NFL career.

8 hours ago, FizzleFish said:

I won’t judge these guys for skipping a bowl (or the last part of the season as we’ve seen in some cases) as they have major money on the line.  I also won’t have the same fan appreciation of those who skipped out early. I don’t know where our season would have ended had we had Elliott, Malik, Williams and Dicko on this squad.  I appreciate all they gave for us, but it feels unfinished. Just footnotes.

And Hill.  

I don't know either, but since our biggest problems were on defense and 4 of the 5 who left early represent 1/3 of that squad, I would say we are likely 12-1 and sitting in OUs spot.  

Edited by Treefidy

On 12/5/2018 at 8:19 AM, Steamboat1874 said:

Apples...oranges...?

You are not on a team that has other players that depend on you when you are a software design student.

It really isn't apples and oranges. It's actually a pretty apt analogy. 

You very well might have other students you are working on projects with. You might have professors that will be sad to see you go. You will have to make the decision to drop out and not graduate and never have a college degree on your wall. 

Say you drop out right before a big team project is due for a final grade in a 4000 level CS course, and you're the best student on the project.

How is that "apples and oranges" from not playing in a bowl game? The only difference is risking physical injury. But maybe you are risking your IP and a cushy job if you don't drop out on the spot when Apple tells you.

It's not a perfect analogy but it's a decent thought exercise.

8 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I don't see this happening. Not for a playoff game. These players want to be on the field if it means they have a shot to be crowned champ. I mean unless the player was injured during the season and then was cleared to play leading up to the game but the risk of aggravating or having a more extensive injury was not worth it for his NFL career.

Yup. i.e. Connor Williams.