Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

I 'member when states rights were all the rage among the GOP.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/17/climate/trump-california-emissions-waiver.html

The Trump administration is expected on Wednesday to formally revoke California’s legal authority to set tailpipe pollution rules that are stricter than federal rules, in a move designed by the White House to strike twin blows against both the liberal-leaning state that President Trump has long antagonized and the environmental legacy of President Barack Obama.

The announcement that the White House will revoke one of California’s signature environmental policies will come while Mr. Trump is traveling in the state, where he is scheduled to attend fund-raisers in Los Angeles and Silicon Valley.

The formal revocation of California’s authority to set its own rules on tailpipe pollution — the United States’ largest source of greenhouse emissions — will be announced Wednesday afternoon at a private event at the Washington headquarters of the Environmental Protection Agency, according to two people familiar with the matter.

A White House spokesman referred questions on the matter to the Environmental Protection Agency. A spokesman for the E.P.A. did not respond to an email requesting comment.

Edited by Francisco 2.0

4 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/17/climate/trump-california-emissions-waiver.html

So they'll be formally revoking state legislation designed to protect the environment at the Environmental Protection Agency? 

sim·u·la·tion

/ˌsimyəˈlāSH(ə)n/

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

States' rights, like the deficit, integrity in the White House...and the constitution...only matter when there's a Democrat in the Oval Office.

Edited by DixonHur
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

This is sad. I can remember when swaths of California were smog covered and they have worked so hard and made gains. Air quality is not some random thing that humans can ignore. This Administration trying to roll back the clock is going to roll us into the Dark Ages.

2 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

This is sad. I can remember when swaths of California were smog covered and they have worked so hard and made gains. Air quality is not some random thing that humans can ignore. This Administration trying to roll back the clock is going to roll us into the Dark Ages.

Next thing you know he'll be bringing back leaded gas

6 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

You watched Jimmy Fallon last night.

6 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

His narcissism is flaring up.  Rather than doing what any POTUS with an IQ/EQ above 100 would do, which is to make a boilerplate statement expressing admiration for Cokie's efforts over the course of her career, he defaults to himself first.  This is Trump's pathology.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

His narcissism is flaring up.  Rather than doing what any POTUS with an IQ/EQ above 100 would do, which is to make a boilerplate statement expressing admiration for Cokie's efforts over the course of his career, he defaults to himself first.  This is Trump's pathology.

It's amazing how little control he has over it. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

I hate Trump as much as most of you, but that is the song that Rivera used to come out to so it's not so crazy...

It's improper to play it after ruffles & flourishes. But what does tradition and customs have to do with this shitshow?

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

His narcissism is flaring up.  Rather than doing what any POTUS with an IQ/EQ above 100 would do, which is to make a boilerplate statement expressing admiration for Cokie's efforts over the course of his career, he defaults to himself first.  This is Trump's pathology.

No shit. Obama would have said something like "Cokie Roberts was a great reporter and a very nice lady.  We didn't always agree politically but I knew her heart was in the right place.  Her basic decency was always evident.   The world has lost a special person. I know that she was beloved by many friends and many colleagues and I will miss her, too. "

Easy peasy.  It's just not possible for this asshole. 

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Imagine making about Roberts instead of "me". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

Gee, I wonder what "doing something about it" is.

Concentration camps?  Using the military or National Guard to round them up, then executions?  Empowering local police departments to do the same?  Empowering regular citizens who are licensed to carry to do it?

Funny how this White House wants to get involved with a labor dispute on the side of labor.  I could have swore the GOP did not want to pick winners and losers.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/17/white-house-general-motors-strike-1735740

The White House is seeking to end the United Auto Workers strike against General Motors with an agreement that would reopen an assembly plant in Lordstown, Ohio that GM shut down in March.

The effort, described to POLITICO by two people close to the matter, would effectively put the White House on the side of the UAW. Some 48,000 GM workers went out on strike Monday demanding higher wages, more generous health care benefits and more job security than management has been willing to offer in a new contract.

If the effort is successful, it could boost the president's reelection chances next year in Michigan and Ohio, where his approval rating has been slipping since the two states helped him to victory in 2016. President Donald Trump has tried to woo blue-collar workers by promising a manufacturing revival, but he's criticized union leaders and has a fraught relationship with the automakers. His Justice Department recently opened an antitrust probe into four automakers, not including GM, that are cooperating with California as it tries to bolster clear air rules.

One person close to the matter said National Economic Council Director Larry Kudlow and White House trade and manufacturing adviser Peter Navarro are both involved in the talks. This individual, who was not authorized to speak publicly, cautioned that discussions are still in early stages and that the White House may not be able to broker a deal.

In remarks to reporters Monday at the White House, President Donald Trump said, "Federal mediation is always possible, if that’s what they want. Hopefully, they’ll be able to work out the GM strike quickly. We don’t want General Motors building plants outside of this country."

Spoiler

The White House did not initially comment on the status of the negotiations, but after POLITICO published this article, it issued a denial.

“This story is false,” deputy press secretary Judd Deere wrote in an email. “The Trump Administration, including Larry Kudlow and Peter Navarro, are not involved in the negotiations between the UAW and GM. As President Trump has said, we would like to see a fair and speedy conclusion to these talks.“

GM also declined to comment initially, then said in a written statement after POLITICO's story was published that the White House “has no involvement in the negotiations.“

Trump himself has indicated he was sympathetic to the workers’ cause.

“My relationship has been very powerful with the [UAW] — not necessarily the top person or two, but the people that work doing automobiles,” Trump said Monday. “Nobody has ever brought more companies into the United States.“

“And big things are happening in Ohio, including with Lordstown,” he said. “Very positive things are happening.“

A UAW spokesperson declined to comment on any overtures by the White House, saying it is focused on negotiations at the bargaining table. GM initially declined to comment, but said later in a statement that the White House “has no involvement in the negotiations.“

The president bludgeoned General Motors last year for announcing plans last year to cut nearly 14,000 jobs in North America, including plant closures in Michigan, Ohio and Maryland. The Lordstown plant raised particular ire from Trump, and has been used by critics to argue that his promise to revive U.S. manufacturing was an empty one.

Trump has been following negotiations between GM and the UAW for some time. In March, he admonished GM and the UAW for dragging their heels in renegotiating a contract.

“Why wait, start them now!“ Trump tweeted at the time. “I want jobs to stay in the U.S.A. and want Lordstown (Ohio), in one of the best economies in our history, opened or sold to a company who will open it up fast! Car companies are all coming back to the U.S. So is everyone else.”

27 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Concentration camps?  Using the military or National Guard to round them up, then executions?  Empowering local police departments to do the same?  Empowering regular citizens who are licensed to carry to do it?

He'll figure out a way to house them all in his empty properties (trump tower, trump international Panama) and charge for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

A couple of weeks back he said something about rounding up the homeless in CA and putting them in camps.  I can't remember if it was twitter or one of his impromptu WH lawn things.   Pretty sure it wasn't a rally.   I do know this isn't the first time he's floated the idea.  This time though we see more of the underlying sentiment:  because the homeless are driving down the property values...particularly of the freeways, it seems.    

I fully expect him to pursue this more.  

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Remember this?