Tom Brady Is UnFucking Real

Vic Mackey

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Even if he retired (it would never set right with him) but it’s possible his marriage would have ended in divorce anyway. It’s not that simple. In many ways (he’s a contemporary in age at least) he’s even easier to root for now. 

I'm just the opposite. I've lost so much respect for him the past year that it's even easier to root against him.

• Hook 'Em 3

I'm just the opposite. I've lost so much respect for him the past year that it's even easier to root against him.

I’ll never get this argument. How could anyone not have respect for what that guy has done and is still trying to do as a football player?

All he’s ever done is bust his ass trying to win and trying to do it the right way. Never any off the field nonsense. Just relentless relentlessness.

I have zero issues with him grinding it out until someone else or the league in general tells him to hang it up. Fuck quitting until you have to. I get that’s not for everyone but if that’s how it is with him I can completely respect it.

Whatever struggles he has in his later years have zero effect on my appreciation of his career. Zero. He’s earned the right to tell us all to fuck off and grind it out however he wants.

All that said, I do feel for the guy. Divorce isn’t easy.
  • Hook 'Em 6

That divorce has been much harder on Bill than Brady. Brady went to a new conference and had one of the best playoff runs we have seen in terms of who he beat. In 3 consecutive weeks he beat Brees, Rodgers and Mahomes. Won his 7th ring. Meanwhile, Bill is juggling between Mac Jones and Zappe, both who aren't very good. I will give him credit I guess for making the playoffs last year with Mac Jones but that is because they expanded the playoffs and they got destroyed by Buffalo.
Father time has finally gotten to Brady. Even last year, he still looked good and Tampa was a threat to contend. From game 1 this year, even beating Dallas, Brady and the offense looked off. Every game seems to be a struggle to put up points consistently. And it's hard to use the excuse of his final season in NE where he had zero weapons. The end of the Brady era is finally upon us.
If BA was still coaching I think Tampa would at least have a winning record.

Tampa and Brady should work out a trade before next week’s deadline to another team that has a crappy QB but decent OL. I don’t know how the Tampa braintrust thought they’d win with this OL. They are seemingly averaging 50 ypg rushing, and Brady is getting sacked left and right. 

You mean like the pats?

29 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I’ll never get this argument. How could anyone not have respect for what that guy has done and is still trying to do as a football player?

All he’s ever done is bust his ass trying to win and trying to do it the right way. Never any off the field nonsense. Just relentless relentlessness.

I have zero issues with him grinding it out until someone else or the league in general tells him to hang it up. Fuck quitting until you have to. I get that’s not for everyone but if that’s how it is with him I can completely respect it.

Whatever struggles he has in his later years have zero effect on my appreciation of his career. Zero. He’s earned the right to tell us all to fuck off and grind it out however he wants.

I agree with you. People who are exceptional, like Tom Brady or Steve Jobs, simply aren't wired like normal human beings. They put their personal goals above all else and have the relentless drive to see it through. They often have personal issues outside of their field, but greatness has a price and the world is often a better place with exceptional people in it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ve got mixed emotions.  It’s clear he’s a guy that’s obsessed with his legacy and with winning.  He’s probably narcissistic but I think there’s been many moments where he’s seemed very kind.  To me, this feels like he’s choosing football over his kids but idk the details of whatever is going on in his home life.  So yea I think I have lost some respect for him

38 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Oh, I'm not saying I don't respect him or what he's done, but up until a year ago, he seemed to be all world on and off the field. This past year just shows, no he's 100% about himself and only himself.  Today have to respect what he has and is able to still do on the field. Best QB ever hands down, no debate. But off the field, yeah lost a lot of respect for him.  He's finding out now how that stable home life allowed him to be the QB he has been.  That stable home life appear to be  not because of him but in spite of him.... and like closetohumping states.. I've got no clue what is actually going on with him off the field, just me speculating.

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut

30 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
That divorce has been much harder on Bill than Brady. Brady went to a new conference and had one of the best playoff runs we have seen in terms of who he beat. In 3 consecutive weeks he beat Brees, Rodgers and Mahomes. Won his 7th ring. Meanwhile, Bill is juggling between Mac Jones and Zappe, both who aren't very good. I will give him credit I guess for making the playoffs last year with Mac Jones but that is because they expanded the playoffs and they got destroyed by Buffalo.
Father time has finally gotten to Brady. Even last year, he still looked good and Tampa was a threat to contend. From game 1 this year, even beating Dallas, Brady and the offense looked off. Every game seems to be a struggle to put up points consistently. And it's hard to use the excuse of his final season in NE where he had zero weapons. The end of the Brady era is finally upon us.

If BA was still coaching I think Tampa would at least have a winning record.

Yep.  Beginning to wonder if arians or Byron had more influence on the offense.  Of course I think part of Tom coming back was for arians to get canned

6 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

How great would Jordan and Tiger had been if they devoted the same time Tom has? Or maybe some balance would have made Tom even greater. 

Are you suggesting that Jordan and Tiger devoted more time to being a family man than Brady? I must be reading it wrong. Or if, like Tom, they had no other distractions/vices to get in the way of their sports?

8 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I’ve got mixed emotions.  It’s clear he’s a guy that’s obsessed with his legacy and with winning.  He’s probably narcissistic but I think there’s been many moments where he’s seemed very kind.  To me, this feels like he’s choosing football over his kids but idk the details of whatever is going on in his home life.  So yea I think I have lost some respect for him

The narrative is simply she left (she filed for divorce first according to the documents) bc he kept playing. I can’t imagine that it’s really that simple. They worked with a mediator and custody and finances were dealt with: allegedly it’s a 50/50 split. I don’t think the narrative is that he was a bad father or doesn’t love his kids. If that were the case this divorce drags out for a lot longer. Is it true Gisele did more to make things a home and a marriage? I’d believe that. The idea though that he must be retired also to love his kids no. It sounds like they had (apart from the fame and hundreds of millions and neither one is like 99.9% of people on earth) a fairly typical marriage wherein the wife does a lot of the stuff pertaining to the home and kiddos and the dad works. You could say after the TB SB he had nothing left to prove and therefore should have quit playing and done something different. I just think that’s weird. Is it true their marriage suffered bc he was gone 3/4 of the year and she worried about his physical health and probably felt like she spent the last 5-7 years on the back burner? Yes. I just don’t think it’s as cut and dry as saying, “well he kept playing so he must be a shit father and not put them first.” Say he retired and their marriage was shit but he was home…is that better for the kids? I can’t answer any of that but if he was a terrible father etc I absolutely believe that she’d have fought him tooth and nail for custody.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

This is a pretty dumb reason to lose respect for someone in the realm of professional sports. Tom chose football, to an extent, over his wife and kids. A decent chunk of the athletes that we root for choose every hot piece of ass that knocks on their hotel room over their wife and kids.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Just more if the same. Motherfuckers drinking the haterade. And if any of them truly believe there’s a more elevated purpose to it than that, they’re the type that enjoy the smell of their own farts.

57 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Right I mean it’s posh and trendy to call him old and they look at you weird when your reply is “yeah he’s old, and he’s still better than whoever your QB is.”

The sports media, in their fervid desire to stir up the hysteria, is trending in this direction that suggests we need to start comparing Aaron Rodgers to TB12. Why? Because they did so wonderfully comparing Peyton to him? That’s not a knock on Peyton either but it’s kinda the point too: you’re gonna have a hard enough time saying Rodgers compares to Manning…and some want to commit the egregious breach of etiquette by skipping him over and going straight to Tom? Man, kill that fuckin noise.

12 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

The narrative is simply she left (she filed for divorce first according to the documents) bc he kept playing. I can’t imagine that it’s really that simple. They worked with a mediator and custody and finances were dealt with: allegedly it’s a 50/50 split. I don’t think the narrative is that he was a bad father or doesn’t love his kids. If that were the case this divorce drags out for a lot longer. Is it true Gisele did more to make things a home and a marriage? I’d believe that. The idea though that he must be retired also to love his kids no. It sounds like they had (apart from the fame and hundreds of millions and neither one is like 99.9% of people on earth) a fairly typical marriage wherein the wife does a lot of the stuff pertaining to the home and kiddos and the dad works. You could say after the TB SB he had nothing left to prove and therefore should have quit playing and done something different. I just think that’s weird. Is it true their marriage suffered bc he was gone 3/4 of the year and she worried about his physical health and probably felt like she spent the last 5-7 years on the back burner? Yes. I just don’t think it’s as cut and dry as saying, “well he kept playing so he must be a shit father and not put them first.” Say he retired and their marriage was shit but he was home…is that better for the kids? I can’t answer any of that but if he was a terrible father etc I absolutely believe that she’d have fought him tooth and nail for custody.

Again I said o had mixed emotions. I don’t know him but I’ve seen moments where he’s clearly a very kind man.  But even he had said in the past it was time for him to be a more involved father and husband and that he had missed a lot of events in his kids lives and that was going to change.  His legacy is set as he is the goat but maybe something is threatening him?   Maybe he wants to play till 50?  I wouldn’t as he looks miserable

27 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Are you suggesting that Jordan and Tiger devoted more time to being a family man than Brady? I must be reading it wrong. Or if, like Tom, they had no other distractions/vices to get in the way of their sports?

Ha…if Tiger and MJ were as focused on their sport and not banging sloots and gambling all night would they have been even better. That was my point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

I agree with you. People who are exceptional, like Tom Brady or Steve Jobs, simply aren't wired like normal human beings. They put their personal goals above all else and have the relentless drive to see it through. They often have personal issues outside of their field, but greatness has a price and the world is often a better place with exceptional people in it. 

Troy Aikman did an interview today where he talked about some of this stuff. Said it worked out well that he didn't get married until the last year of his career. And when asked about what his favorite thing in his office was, it was things relating to his daughters and the bond they have. Nothing related to football. He says there was no better feeling in football than winning the super bowl and no amount of stats could make up for it. Said that these days he'd rather focus on what's in front of him rather than things that happened 25 years ago.

All that to say, i don't think Brady's obsession with playing football and being the best is all that healthy for him as a human. I hope he can get over it.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I mean Steve Jobs probably ruined humanity, or enabled the running of humanity. But your point is still valid.
  • Hook 'Em 1

And I bet Nolan wasn't obsessing over baseball 365 days a year.

Nolan had other things to take his attention. Foundations with the Olsham man, reliving beating the shit out of Robin Ventura…

I believe that incident should have been immortalized with a 50ft statue in center field in the new stadium.Not behind the fence but in the middle of center field.

Wait, their divorce is already final?    That has to be some kind of celebrity record.

It’s not final. they just filed.

The change in Brady isn’t his arm. Is the inaccuracy his arm or his throwing being hit or his receivers running lazy routes?
The change is his approach to the game. The Patriot Way Brady is gone; the dude that lived in the film room is now a helicopter QB, skipping practices on Wednesday, flying to Bob Krafts secret wedding instead of flying with his team, wrapped up with ducking up his home life, having to do a commercial about his fucking clothing line.

8 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

It’s not final. they just filed.

The change in Brady isn’t his arm. Is the inaccuracy his arm or his throwing being hit or his receivers running lazy routes?
The change is his approach to the game. The Patriot Way Brady is gone; the dude that lived in the film room is now a helicopter QB, skipping practices on Wednesday, flying to Bob Krafts secret wedding instead of flying with his team, wrapped up with ducking up his home life, having to do a commercial about his fucking clothing line.

It says finalized. You are wrong just take the L. 

I always admired how their marriage worked considering they both had demanding careers that they were highly successful in. Both careers were very youth oriented but hers transitioned to more business entrepreneur and overseeing her various business lines over the years. Hers was likely more flexible to shift responsibilities to others and allowed her to put some focus on her family. His was him staying focused on winning and busting his ass to get into and win the super bowl. Getting older may have required more of him to maintain that level of success. Yet, it obviously gives him such great satisfaction that transitioning out of that might be tougher for him. She might have lost patience with him needing to keep playing and not putting more into their home life. 

It is sad that it happened, but we all have to live with the consequences of our decisions. Divorce or not, Tom Brady has to transition away from this career at some point and I suspect he is one of those guys that'll get lost because he places so much of his identity into what he did for a living. 

20 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

How great would Jordan and Tiger had been if they devoted the same time Tom has? Or maybe some balance would have made Tom even greater. 

The A+ example of my generation was Jack Nicklaus.  He balanced family, playing golf professionally to the highest level possible, and his retirement career, designing golf courses.  The proof of all of that was when he had his son caddy for him at the 1986 Masters.  Every caddy on the tour nowadays is a professional, but Jack used an amateur who happened to be his son.  

Roger Staubach is another example of keeping things balanced. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It says finalized. You are wrong just take the L. 

Jesus you are correct. I read the early report that they had finalized the agreement. They filed yesterday morning and a judge finalized it after lunch, so they are single. I’ve never seen that. I figured a 3/4 billion dollar divorce the attorneys would all figure out how to drag it out for jillions of billable hours.

• 2 weeks later...