Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

18 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Dude, you obviously know your stuff. The 2017 in-state class definitely wasn't stacked at positions of need. Nope. Didn't sting at all.

Different circumstances. Our class was fucked because everyone knew Charlie was on his way out. Little and Chaison were the only major targets we still had a chance with after firing Strong.

• Fuck You 4

35 minutes ago, Machinator said:

We'll get good WRs because of who we are.

From 2011-2017 Texas landed 3 composite 100 WR recruits. 

Jaxon Shipley (#92)
Cayleb Jones (#70)
Devin Duvernay (#37)

From 2018-2019 they already have 4. Woodard was just outside the composite top 100 at #104. 

If "we get good WRs" it certainly wasn't happening before Mehringer. Why do you think we've been landing great WRs "because of who we are"? We haven't. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Jaxon Shipley (#92)
Cayleb Jones (#70)
Devin Duvernay (#37)

From 2018-2019 they already have 4. Woodard was just outside the composite top 100 at #104. 

If "we get good WRs" it certainly wasn't happening before Mehringer. Why do you think we've been landing great WRs "because of who we are"? We haven't. 

We have a better recruiting apparatus on the macro level now than we did before, with better support staff and facilities than we did before. That's one of the "rising tide lifts all boats" aspects of recruiting, the other being wins.

9 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Jaxon Shipley (#92)
Cayleb Jones (#70)
Devin Duvernay (#37)

If "we get good WRs" it certainly wasn't happening before Mehringer. 

giphy.gif

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, TXpride said:

Different circumstances. Our class was fucked because everyone knew Charlie was on his way out. Little and Chaison were the only major targets we still had a chance with after firing Strong.

Ok, so let me know which years count as "normal" and then we'll rank them and see how objectively terrible the situation is this year. Or we could not. We could just hang out for few more months and see how things shake out. 

47 minutes ago, Machinator said:

We have a better recruiting apparatus on the macro level now than we did before, with better support staff and facilities than we did before. That's one of the "rising tide lifts all boats" aspects of recruiting, the other being wins.

There's certainly some things helping Mehringer. Do I think he's fucked up some recruitments? Probably. 

But we're recruiting better at WR than we have in almost a decade. It's not even particularly close either. You don't think Mehringer gets any credit here? 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

Carrington had a pretty massive impact on the 2018 class, especially with the Houston guys.

We don't have that same recruiting dynamic so far in this cycle.

Can you honestly say you had a clue who carrington was 8/7/17?  His impact really showed up at the end of last cycle and we are still in the first 1/2 of this cycle.   

early signing has certainly moved the timeline and interest forward, but decommit season is going to be more active than ever as more kids "commit" early before teams have an opportunity to win, shit the bed or get on the carousel.  

Before early signing there were probably <30% of players committed before the season started and kids had a chance to see how their perspective suitors were trending. Now we are looking at 70% or so already committed before the season even starts, and we know how unpredictable both football and teenagers can be.   Not to mention, all these early commits are prior to the senior HS year from the coaches perspective...

I'm stocking up on popcorn to see who the biggest trap door offenders will be going forward and how that affects the recruiting dynamic, when teams like aggy fill their entire basket before the season even starts.

Edited by Treefidy

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Jaxon Shipley (#92)
Cayleb Jones (#70)
Devin Duvernay (#37)

I've also seen plenty of supposed Top WRs from Texas do absolutely nothing at Texas, while unheralded guys make us eat their shit on game day. There is a happy medium between the 2, but the WR production needs to be consistent from the front line guys of Johnson, Duvernay, and Humphrey. I'm looking at 2015 UH and their big 3 combined for 184-2,355-15. Then the 4th guy got 25-317-5.

Edited by HtownHorn

1 hour ago, Treefidy said:

Can you honestly say you had a clue who carrington was 8/7/17?  His impact really showed up at the end of last cycle and we are still in the first 1/2 of this cycle.   

early signing has certainly moved the timeline and interest forward, but decommit season is going to be more active than ever as more kids "commit" early before teams have an opportunity to win, shit the bed or get on the carousel.  

Before early signing there were probably <30% of players committed before the season started and kids had a chance to see how their perspective suitors were trending. Now we are looking at 70% or so already committed before the season even starts, and we know how unpredictable both football and teenagers can be.   Not to mention, all these early commits are prior to the senior HS year from the coaches perspective...

I'm stocking up on popcorn to see who the biggest trap door offenders will be going forward and how that affects the recruiting dynamic, when teams like aggy fill their entire basket before the season even starts.

Carrington was a big part throughout. He was regularly mentioned on twitter and during interviews by various recruits.

He wasn't just some last minute magic that popped up last cycle.

9 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Carrington was a big part throughout. He was regularly mentioned on twitter and during interviews by various recruits.

He wasn't just some last minute magic that popped up last cycle.

Well he sorta was considering it was the last few weeks he was allowed on the road pulled several recruitments out of the shitter. So from a timing perspective, yeah he was some last minute manage. 

E.J. Holland: My final thoughts on the Dylan Wright situation

— Sorry I was out yesterday evening and didn't get a chance to respond to World War III. It was the my fiance and I's third anniversary of being together, so I was trying to spend the night with her.

— We were wrong about Wright. There is no other way around. I feel like we've done really well this cycle with guys like Jake Smith (first to put in a CB), Javonne Shepherd (nobody believed me when I said he would show up to Heat Wave), Chris Adimora (first to put in a CB), etc. But of course, we've had our misses as well with Wright, Williams & Richardson.

— We can only report what we know. That's what I've always told Mike, who was the first person to ever write about Wright. He had a close relationship with the family, and they continuously told him that they were going to wait until January. Nothing you can do about that. They also told their 7v7 group that they would be waiting until January, and even they were surprised with the timing. This is something that the Wright family kept between themselves.

— And yes, that means Texas was caught off guard as well. Wright did not inform the UT staff of his decision prior to dropping the video. I'm sure you can tell who a lot of my sources are, so just know there was confidence in where Texas stood with right, and everyone had reason to believe he would stay patient with the process, see the season out and make his decision in January.

— So why did things change so drastically with Leal, Williams, Richardson and Wright. Each recruitment is different, but I think it's safe to say Texas finished second in all those recruitments. Obviously, that's not what you want to hear, but it's true. And the staff did everything it could. A&M and Jimbo are really doing a great job this cycle and the newness gives them a boost just like it did with Texas last cycle. In Leal's recruitment, Texas won his mom but didn't do enough with Leal. In Richardson's recruitment, he pulled off a visit high. Just to give you a behind the scenes nugget, he tried to visit Texas on multiple occasions early in the spring, but his father wanted him to honor his word. Wright's father was a Texas fan and is Jason Washington's relative. But again, each kid made their own decision.

— Recruiting is hard to predict. Again, you can only report what you know. It's clear Texas had reason to feel good with a lot of these kids, but they need to seal the deal. We, as reporters, need to do a better job of utilizing sources away from the program. And I promise we will do that moving forward. I don't travel and hit the road as much as I do to be wrong and look like an ass. I had a lengthy conversation with Mike, and we are going to do our best to be better. I can't guarantee we'll hit on every kid, but I can guarantee that we'll be better. Trust me, both Mike and I are just as upset/disappointed at ourselves as y'all are with us right now.

— The best part of my job is seeing these kids go from no offers to finding their future home. I am so happy for guys like Dylan Wright, Jeff Carter, Theo Wease, etc. — guys I knew when they weren't on fans' radars. Even when a recruit picks a school other than Texas, I hope y'all can support their decisions.

Let's not forget that QB recruiting is still the single most important position group and can define a recruiting class as great. Herman got the qb that Jimbo tried to recruit this class in Roschon Johnson, and if Herman can convince Hornsby to join Card for 2020, that is what you call a knockout type of blow for those Aggie lurkers.

Obviously we need to keep reeling in a minimum of 2 blue chip OL paired with 2-3 high ceiling prospects and our OL will be in good enough shape with proper continuity/development. 

DL 2018 was acceptable but we arent to Alabama/Clemson/Ohio St level yet. We wont be till we start winning on the field. I just hope we don't have to pay for Giles sins this year.

So yes, Herman is owning this state in QB recruiting for all the aggies out there. Winning is now the most important factor for us going forward.

12 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Reveal hidden contents

— Sorry I was out yesterday evening and didn't get a chance to respond to World War III. It was the my fiance and I's third anniversary of being together, so I was trying to spend the night with her.

— We were wrong about Wright. There is no other way around. I feel like we've done really well this cycle with guys like Jake Smith (first to put in a CB), Javonne Shepherd (nobody believed me when I said he would show up to Heat Wave), Chris Adimora (first to put in a CB), etc. But of course, we've had our misses as well with Wright, Williams & Richardson.

— We can only report what we know. That's what I've always told Mike, who was the first person to ever write about Wright. He had a close relationship with the family, and they continuously told him that they were going to wait until January. Nothing you can do about that. They also told their 7v7 group that they would be waiting until January, and even they were surprised with the timing. This is something that the Wright family kept between themselves.

— And yes, that means Texas was caught off guard as well. Wright did not inform the UT staff of his decision prior to dropping the video. I'm sure you can tell who a lot of my sources are, so just know there was confidence in where Texas stood with right, and everyone had reason to believe he would stay patient with the process, see the season out and make his decision in January.

— So why did things change so drastically with Leal, Williams, Richardson and Wright. Each recruitment is different, but I think it's safe to say Texas finished second in all those recruitments. Obviously, that's not what you want to hear, but it's true. And the staff did everything it could. A&M and Jimbo are really doing a great job this cycle and the newness gives them a boost just like it did with Texas last cycle. In Leal's recruitment, Texas won his mom but didn't do enough with Leal. In Richardson's recruitment, he pulled off a visit high. Just to give you a behind the scenes nugget, he tried to visit Texas on multiple occasions early in the spring, but his father wanted him to honor his word. Wright's father was a Texas fan and is Jason Washington's relative. But again, each kid made their own decision.

— Recruiting is hard to predict. Again, you can only report what you know. It's clear Texas had reason to feel good with a lot of these kids, but they need to seal the deal. We, as reporters, need to do a better job of utilizing sources away from the program. And I promise we will do that moving forward. I don't travel and hit the road as much as I do to be wrong and look like an ass. I had a lengthy conversation with Mike, and we are going to do our best to be better. I can't guarantee we'll hit on every kid, but I can guarantee that we'll be better. Trust me, both Mike and I are just as upset/disappointed at ourselves as y'all are with us right now.

— The best part of my job is seeing these kids go from no offers to finding their future home. I am so happy for guys like Dylan Wright, Jeff Carter, Theo Wease, etc. — guys I knew when they weren't on fans' radars. Even when a recruit picks a school other than Texas, I hope y'all can support their decisions.

I didn't think I could think any less of EJ. I was wrong.

14 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Reveal hidden contents

Jesus dude, don't grovel like that. Just say teenagers do dumb shit sometimes. It has the benefit of being true.

12 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Jesus dude, don't grovel like that. Just say teenagers do dumb shit sometimes. It has the benefit of being true.

After reading that I felt the same way about his fiance's choice as I did about Dylan Wright's choice: why the fuck would he do that? (not a typo - nttawwt)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Hide contents

Burton definitely yelled at EJ this morning. Definitely. 

• Like 1

I don't understand what Giles problem is these days, but he needs to get back to his early recruiting roots. He's been lead recruiter on 24 composite 300 players in his coaching career. Of that, 10 were top 100 players and 3 were top 10 (Jeffcoat, Oliver, and Brown). He needs to get back to that shit or we need to do something different.  He use to be at least average as a recruiter. It's pretty obvious there is a disconnect at the moment in state. 

12 minutes ago, Hook'Em0608 said:

I don't understand what Giles problem is these days, but he needs to get back to his early recruiting roots. He's been lead recruiter on 24 composite 300 players in his coaching career. Of that, 10 were top 100 players and 3 were top 10 (Jeffcoat, Oliver, and Brown). He needs to get back to that shit or we need to do something different.  He use to be at least average as a recruiter. It's pretty obvious there is a disconnect at the moment in state. 

Giles won't and should not get credit for Oliver ever, but I do see your point. Just like with the MEHringer factor though, how much were other forces working in his favor to land those recruits or other coaches outright taking the lead instead of the position coach to insure they'd sign? 

9 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Asked earlier - but what’s the deal with Meekins? Has he had any recruiting success this cycle?

Do we expect him to be a force in recruiting?

Is it possible he and Mehringer are both gone end of the season?

Meekins' twin brother coaches at Westfield. He's our bridge into Houston, and he's done a pretty bang-up job in that regard.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

Giles won't and should not get credit for Oliver ever, but I do see your point. Just like with the MEHringer factor though, how much were other forces working in his favor to land those recruits or other coaches outright taking the lead instead of the position coach to insure they'd sign? 

True

21 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Asked earlier - but what’s the deal with Meekins? Has he had any recruiting success this cycle?

Do we expect him to be a force in recruiting?

Is it possible he and Mehringer are both gone end of the season?

Secondary on Tyler Johnson, Javonne Shepherd, Peter Mpagi, and Tvondre Sweat. Not primary on anybody yet. Who knows how much those 4 were him vs Primary recruiter. 

• Like 1