Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

I don't think he was implying Cosmi was a Hand evaluation.  I think he was just using Cosmi as an example of just how crazy OL evaluations can be.  And he's also happy that we have Herb Hand here.

I think everyone is happy that Herb Hand is here, great developer and his scheme has been effective for this OL (which will only get more talented in the coming years).

I've posted some combine results from our commits -- shuttle and explosive numbers then 40 in importance in my mind for a DB.  

by comparison here is Peyton Powell  

Powell, Peyton    -- 6'2" 182 - 4.45 40 - 4.25 shuttle - 36.5 vertical - 37.6 powerball

D'Shawn Jamison  -- 5'10" 175 - 4.48 40 -  3.9 shuttle - 36.7″ vertical -  35′ powerball  
Caden Sterns — 6-0.5 - 192 - 4.69 40 - 4.01 shuttle - 37.4 vertical - 36’ powerball
BJ Foster - 6’1” - 193 - 4.52 40 - 4.27 shuttle - 33.7 vertical - 33’ powerball 
Jalen Green — 6-0 - 171- 4.69 40 - 4.01 shuttle — 32.7 vertical - 33.5’ powerball
Anthony Cook - 6’0” - 174 - 4.69 40 - 4.12 shuttle  36.7 vertical - 34.5’powerball 

also :: 
Brennan Eagles - 6-3.5 - 214 - 4.51 - 3.99 shuttle - 37 vertical - 39.0’ powerball

Bobby Wolfe -- 6-0.5 176 - 4.71 40 -  4.41 shuttle - 34.2"  vertical - 31.0' powerball
Erick Young -- 6'0 208 - scratched - 4.27 shuttle - 32" vertical - 35' powerball
Brian Williams -- 6'0.5" 211 - scratched - 4.47 shuttle - 31" vertical - 39.5 powerball
Demani Richardson -- 6'1" 209 - 4.59 40 - 4.14 shuttle - 34.7" vertical - 41.5 powerball

Edited by golfclap
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Looks like it might have been aggy commit Bobby Wolfe that reached out to Tom Herman - Per Perroni.  247 reporting that Perroni has reached out to several schools and that his commitment might be shaky.  LonghornFrenzy has the screenshots.

Time to refill the bank account. 

I believe it was Scipio Tex who said the key number to watch is the vertical. It is the easiest assessment of pure athleticism. 40 and shuttle times can be improved through technique, giving a leg up to guys who have a specialty trainer. I think he said anything over 34" suggests elite athleticism.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I've posted some combine results from our commits -- shuttle and explosive numbers then 40 in importance in my mind for a DB.  

Powell, Peyton    -- 6'2" 182 - 4.45 40 - 4.25 shuttle - 36.5 vertical - 37.6 powerball

D'Shawn Jamison  -- 5'10" 175 - 4.48 40 -  3.9 shuttle - 36.7″ vertical -  35′ powerball  
Caden Sterns — 6-0.5 - 192 - 4.69 40 - 4.01 shuttle - 37.4 vertical - 36’ powerball
Jalen Green — 6-0 - 171- 4.69 40 - 4.01 shuttle — 32.7 vertical - 33.5’ powerball
Anthony Cook - 6’0” - 174 - 4.69 40 - 4.12 shuttle  36.7 vertical - 34.5’powerball 

Brennan Eagles - 6-3.5 - 214 - 4.51 - 3.99 shuttle - 37 vertical - 39.0’ powerball

Bobby Wolfe -- 6-0.5 176 - 4.71 40 -  4.41 shuttle - 34.2"  vertical - 31.0' powerball
Erick Young -- 6'0 208 - scratched - 4.27 shuttle - 32" vertical - 35' powerball
Brian Williams -- 6'0.5" 211 - scratched - 4.47 shuttle - 31" vertical - 39.5 powerball
Demani Richardson -- 6'1" 209 - 4.59 40 - 4.14 shuttle - 34.7" vertical - 41.5 powerball

+1..... Thanks for posting this "golfclap"

2 things from the OB 3-2-1: 

Such says Caleb Johnson is redshirting this year so he'll have 3 years to play 3.

He is saying the Sanders/McCoy recruitments will be tough for all the reasons we know, but that he has a source that thinks we lead for both. The offensive showing against OU had a good impact with 2019 recruits. 

35 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Brennan Eagles, good lord

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

I believe it was Scipio Tex who said the key number to watch is the vertical. It is the easiest assessment of pure athleticism. 40 and shuttle times can be improved through technique, giving a leg up to guys who have a specialty trainer. I think he said anything over 34" suggests elite athleticism.

Give me the shuttle all day every day. Scipio's not wrong in terms of explosive power/athleticism and the vertical but football is all about short bursts in every direction. Also, while you can improve a shuttle time, balance is innate and more important in a lot of regards than speed or power and the shuttle highlights not only quickness but more importantly balance. There are powerful people who can vert 40" and can't change direction, if you can't change direction you can't play football. 

• Like 3

I think it is easy to fall into a trap on numbers, in business or football or baseball or what have you. I am not criticizing discussion here on Powell versus the field and such. I appreciate the dialogue. Just offering up that apparently the dude has "game speed" that they really like. He's apparently an athlete take that they'll worry about positionally (how is this not a word in Webster?) later, but they do want him in this class. There are a couple of other guys that fit this too, including the dude out of Midloathian, apparently. 

Look for a tweak in approach on 2020/2021 targets along these lines too. They've been doing it to some degree with bigs and like the results. Apparently, they think they need to find some additional electricity and flexibility in the skill spots. Whittington also fits this.

I like the fact that on the recruiting end, there is real self-awareness compared to the elite competition and the thirst is there to keep clawing and building the roster on a player by player level. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Atticus said:

Our entire 2018 DB haul except Jamison was filled with low to mid 4.6 guys. Physicality and length is their strength.

Sterns' play recognition lets him play much faster than his times would indicate.

Agree that Sterns instinct's, intelligence and preparation allow him to play faster..... Like Earl Thomas.

Think Caden will learn a lot from his mistakes vs BlowU....

9 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Give me the shuttle all day every day. Scipio's not wrong in terms of explosive power/athleticism and the vertical but football is all about short bursts in every direction. Also, while you can improve a shuttle time, balance is innate and more important in a lot of regards than speed or power and the shuttle highlights not only quickness but more importantly balance. There are powerful people who can vert 40" and can't change direction, if you can't change direction you can't play football. 

One thing that comes to mind in this discussion is how much training Powell does or does not have. Has he been polished on the drills end the way the guys in Houston and DFW are due to their trainer help? I don't know the answer and someone here probably does, but that would definitely affect some of the numbers for Powell, even if they mostly look good already.

Edited by closetojumping

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Agree that Sterns instinct's, intelligence and preparation allow him to play faster..... Like Earl Thomas.

Think Caden will learn a lot from his mistakes vs BlowU....

ChrisApplewhite (if I remember correctly) once wrote that Earl Thomas "could see the future". I think that is about as accurate description of that dude's football IQ as I could ever imagine, and I agree that it feels like there is a lot of that in Sterns as well.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think it is easy to fall into a trap on numbers, in business or football or baseball or what have you. I am not criticizing discussion here on Powell versus the field and such. I appreciate the dialogue. Just offering up that apparently the dude has "game speed" that they really like. He's apparently an athlete take that they'll worry about positionally (how is this not a word in Webster?) later, but they do want him in this class. There are a couple of other guys that fit this too, including the dude out of Midloathian, apparently. 

Look for a tweak in approach on 2020/2021 targets along these lines too. They've been doing it to some degree with bigs and like the results. Apparently, they think they need to find some additional electricity and flexibility in the skill spots. Whittington also fits this.

I like the fact that on the recruiting end, there is real self-awareness compared to the elite competition and the thirst is there to keep clawing and building the roster on a player by player level. 

It is also nice that we can target multiple athlete-types now that we have some credible depth and don't need guys who can enroll early with the hope that they can be immediate help on the 2-deep. It is a must for most linemen, but being able to have options with guys like Whittington or Powell (dare I hope for Bru?) is icing on the cake.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

One thing that comes to mind in this discussion is how much training Powell does or does not have. Has he been polished on the drills end the way the guys in Houston and DFW are due to their trainer help? I don't know the answer and someone here probably does, but that would definitely affect some of the numbers for Powell, even they mostly look good already.

That's my take as well. What is the threshold for shuttle times that allows for the fact that some guys are practicing the shuttle on top of just being naturally fluid?

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

On this note, we used to bitch about Mack just recruiting highly rated guys without actually trying to recruit to a particular team identity. Herman and co. seem to know what they want

21 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

On this note, we used to bitch about Mack just recruiting highly rated guys without actually trying to recruit to a particular team identity. 

...and without actually evaluating the players. Mack looked at recruiting services lists and thought they meant something, when a lot of the fucktards who cover recruiting don't know shit from shinola when it comes to actual football. I've said before, I talked to pre-BYU Manny Diaz (I know, I know) and some others about who Mack would allow his assitants to recruit. Mack was mailing it in, and often couldn't even be bothered to watch film on players his assistants wanted to bring in. The assistants made a lot of good evaluations, but it was all for naught.

Edited by Tex Pete

a little anecdote to pete's point...i remember running into jerry scarborough sometime in the early 2000s...i made some generic comment about mack's recruiting acumen and he just laughed and said something to the effect of 'he doesn't do shit...if we start talking about a recruit, he checks them out. he doesn't do anything to go out and actually find talent.'

this was when the perception of mack's recruiting ability was at peak levels. 

Edited by DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, golfclap said:

yeah. every time I see it again I'm like "holy hell" and that was on a rainy disgusting day where almost everyone else tested like crap. 

He's a FREAK

Some players you see live in person and you can tell immediately he's going to be very good. I saw that on Eagles catch against Tulsa, his explosion upfield after the catch is something Texas hasn't seen from a WR in a long while.

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Texas is the leader for McCoy. I repeat: Texas is the leader for the nation’s top athlete and that wasn’t true when he stepped on campus for his official visit when the Longhorns hosted USC. Texas wowed McCoy with its performance on the field and the bond between the players on the team. Current Texas commit De’Gabriel Floyd is leading the charge for McCoy and is doing a great job helping to recruit his fellow Californian. McCoy can play wide receiver or outside linebacker and would immediately be the best player in Texas’ class. 

😀

CluelessQuarterlyLiger-max-1mb.gif

Edited by Carl Winslow
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The staff seems to recruit confidently and patiently. Your observation about them adapting to the timing of rounding out the class alludes to another thing I think is going on with Herman: he does seem to adapt himself to what he observes.

He's not the hard ass all the time like he was last year. He wasn't connecting with the veteran players as a whole, so he found a way to moderate his style. So it appears to me, anyway. I have no special sources or expertise. The winning is nice.

5 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

jesus the hurricane shit storm that would follow if we landed all these at once would be threat level midnight the likes of which no blue pill has ever caused

Oh! Oh! Oh! I get to be the first to say, "Don't get your hopes because it's not happening."

quick-sad.gif

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Langston Anderson, I believe.

26 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Who is the Midlothian kid? Nm. 

Thx Machinator

I want to make sure I am clear that I have no idea where they're headed with some of this stuff. I don't know if Powell cancels out Anderson or if they're both takes or what.

I don't think anyone has a clue what might be happening right now after the winning streak. It's not uncommon for new guys to be interested or old guys to be circling back around, right? I don't even think any of us really know whether the number winds up being 25 or 28. How many grad transfers does this potentially impact? Does the 10/15 list cause new targets to be added to the depth chart on the 85 man roster by next semester? Lot of moving parts.

Seems like the Powell effort is full on. I'd like to hear more about where they're headed on the OL front. Are the OSU commits front and center? Who else is on the radar there? This is the fun kind of chaos. 

2 hours ago, zzz said:

It's been years, but didn't the forearm lust originate from aggy and has just been maintained as a running joke here?  Kinda like how your mom was into my forearms last night while I was in her?

It was late hornfans or early Shaggy days. Some Texaggys were marveling about the forearms on some 3-star recruit who had his arms crossed on his chest. That’s how I choose to remember it. 

2 hours ago, golfclap said:

Brian Williams -- 6'0.5" 211 - scratched - 4.47 shuttle - 31" vertical 

Think maybe it was you at one time said Brian Williams never runs the 40 at camps?  Man, nothing about his #'s scream elite.  And aggy wonders why his ranking dropped.  I notice his composite is now below 98.

23 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Why dont these camps test/list 3cone? 40 and shuttle and vert are all useful tools but imo 3cone is the best measure of a players movement skills

Rivals used to list all this stuff on a player's profile page. They even had SAT/ACT scores on there. Crazy how much they've fallen off.