Texas recruiting notes 2019

Here are our commits, their jersey numbers, and which team they are playing for in the Under Armour All American game:

Team Flash

• 16 Roschon Johnson
  • 33 David Gbenda
  • 88 Brayden Liebrock

Team Ballaholics

• 17 Marcus Washington
  • 22 Kenyatta Watson

Full roster here:

https://usatodayhss.com/2018/2019-under-armour-all-america-game-rosters-revealed/

Edited by SLChorn

Grad transfers at RB and OT would round out a good 2019 class for me. It'll be interesting to see if any new offers go out to high school players on January 11th (the end of the dead period). JUCOs that don't enroll early, usually don't contribute in their first season. 

I'm on the fence with Glass. If Texas needs him to contribute next year, they probably need a grad transfer RB. 

Gotta take 2 RBs in 2020. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Not the kids fault you bought into 9.95er bullshit. He knew he wasn't coming to Texas, people who want your money lied to you.

I meant that he strung three coaching staffs along. UGA, Penn State, and Texas all though they had him at some point. That's unusual and makes me think he misled some people. 

It's fine, and sometimes funny to mislead the mods, but be professional with the coaching staffs. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

2 minutes ago, tittiesandbeer said:

Curious to know the order

It's a free article:

1. Bo Nix, Pinson (Ala.) Valley – Auburn

Nix improved as the two-hour session moved forward. He was quick with his release, he showed good arm strength although he did muscle his way through a few of the deeper throws and his decision making was on point. He was smooth, consistent and threw some very nice deep balls that he dropped over the outside shoulder of the receiver. He spun it well, was able to throw the deep out and threw a catchable pass.

2. Jayden Daniels, San Bernardino (Calif.) Cajon – Arizona State

Daniels’ arm strength popped. His release was quick and he was accurate early on in drills. He got rid of the ball quickly, he moved his feet well and his mechanics were strong. The ball came out of his hand free and easy. He threw a nice intermediate ball with consistency but he was less accurate throwing the deep ball. Timing is always an issue in all-star practices, particularly the first practice, and getting on the same page with the receiver needs more work.

3. Zach Calzada, Sugar Hill (Ga.) Lanier – Texas A&M

Consistency was a bit of an issue for Calzada, who started out strong by showing off an impressive arm and a quick release. He threw a pretty out pass and he showed the arm strength to throw a 10-yard out to the far side of the field, but as the session wore on, Calzada’s consistency dropped. He hung a few balls up too long and a few red zone fades were too far inside and allowed the defensive back to make an easy play on the ball.

4. Roschon Johnson, Port Neches (Texas) Groves -- Texas

Because of the style of practice, which was heavy on pocket passing, this practice was not built for Johnson to truly express his talent as a dual threat quarterback. He scored on a nice run around the end on a play close to the goal line. As a pocket passer, he was inconsistent with his accuracy and with getting rid of the ball on time. Throwing to the field side of the formation was not a strength on the night.

5. Joey Yellen, Mission Viejo (Calif.) High – Arizona State

Yellen threw some nice balls on some slant routes early in practice in one-on-ones, but he looked out of rhythm much of the night, especially when defenders were added to the mix. He was able to throw some quick passes with accuracy early but deeper out patterns were more difficult for him. He had trouble with some reads as he worked through some plays for the first time.

6. Michael Johnson Jr., Eugene (Ore.) Sheldon – Penn State

Much like Texas commit Roschon Johnson, this practice only allowed the Nittany Lions signee to showcase half of his skill set. He is a gifted athlete, and that was evident during a drill when he faked the handoff on a read-option and exploded toward the line of scrimmage. As a pocket passer, he struggled with his consistency much of the night as there were not many tight spirals. He settled down late and made a few nice throws to the flat.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I meant that he strung three coaching staffs along. UGA, Penn State, and Texas all though they had him at some point. 

Maybe, but considering the amount of guys Texas is overconfident about and end up not landing, I'm inclined to believe that's a staff problem.

21 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

It's not just Drayton, this staff is bad at reading the tea leaves. They are overconfident, Herman even more so than his assistants.

Not just in recruiting, bad evaluations on our own players to start the last two seasons. I truly hope Herman executes the much needed staff upgrades.

1 hour ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I'll be the idiot. Why is Calzone even there? Didn't he suck before committing to aggy and then cranked the suckage up to 12?

Wondering the same thing, seems like a behind the scenes push for aggy.  He had 14 tds and 5 int, 50% completion rate.  1700 yards. Very pedestrian.  He's 6'3 and 195?  But the QB whisper has ahold of him now, so I guess we will see...