Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

33 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Who would hire him as a play caller?

who would hire him as a qb coach for 900k?

Not as a play-caller, but after seeing what he has done with Sam, I would hire him for that much if I had it.  When you add in his recruiting chops and the fact that we have young QBs in the pipeline who need serious coaching up, I would give him a fucking raise to keep him.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Not as a play-caller, but after seeing what he has done with Sam, I would hire him for that much if I had it.  When you add in his recruiting chops and the fact that we have young QBs in the pipeline who need serious coaching up, I would give him a fucking raise to keep him.

Agreed.  We have the money.  Use it

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Did Beck do anything with Sam? Or did Herman start calling plays? 

Seems like one is tied to the other 

Sam was a much better passer this year from a mechanics standpoint. I don't know if that was Beck but Ehlinger was definitely improved. 

Even Herman has said that. 

Edited by texasstrong12

11 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Did Beck do anything with Sam? Or did Herman start calling plays? 

Seems like one is tied to the other 

Coaching Sam and calling plays are not really related except knowing his strengths. Sam is noticeably better in all aspects of the game. If Beck is responsible for his development, he deserves the accolades.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Think ideally best case scenario is Warehime is the one leaving with Beaty as TE/Co-oc.  Beck can be passing game coordinator if the Co-oc tag is taken away from him.  Don't want to lose Hand, pay that man.

I assume the Co-OC title is to get Beaty a bump in salary? If he can solve our Metroplex recruiting issues, Beaty is worth every bit of $1 million annually. 

5 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Think ideally best case scenario is Warehime is the one leaving with Beaty as TE/Co-oc.  Beck can be passing game coordinator if the Co-oc tag is taken away from him.  Don't want to lose Hand, pay that man.

Wonder if meekins could move to a recruiting coordinator/HS relations  bs job to open a spot. 

5 hours ago, Machinator said:

Turns out this guy knew something.

I wonder if Tech officials feel a little weird about everyone wanting the guy that they just discarded? 

If we do not sign 5-7 west coast guys this year we are leaving meat on the bone. USC in full on tire fire mode now. 

47 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I wonder if Tech officials feel a little weird about everyone wanting the guy that they just discarded? 

If we do not sign 5-7 west coast guys this year we are leaving meat on the bone. USC in full on tire fire mode now. 

They were idiots to get rid of Leach and really should have just supported KK. They were doing good for Tech. 

13 hours ago, texifornia said:

Beck looks to be swallowing a LOT of pride (can't imagine Hand will take a demotion). But for 900k, it's not the worst deal.

reminder re: positions

7Qompa.png

If Mehringer leaves, that opens up WR, Passing Game Coordinator - could potentially bump Beck down to passing game coordinator, bring in Beaty as WR/Co OC?

At this point, everyone's contracts are "over" outside of Hand, right? started on 2 year deals...

---

edit:

For comparison, here is Alabama - 2 AHCs, both an OC and a Co OC + DC and Co DC

so maybe the move is Beck or Hand to AHC, then opens up the Co OC position for Beaty?

Spoiler

mLzDEC.png

Edited by NoName

IT Tidbits:

Spoiler

From yesterday's main post:

EDIT: COACHING TURNOVER/EARLY ENTREES

On staff changes: Not even counting the potential of Applewhite hiring away somebody, we were relatively confident 1-2 guys would be hired away, but both Drayton’s Akron gig and Mehringer’ JMU opportunity dried up.

As I wrote in November, the season finish could play into how much Herman wants to make changes. Well, they just contended for the conference and beat Georgia while playing better defense so I’m not sure how proactive he’ll be.

On early departures, clearly we don’t have anything new, otherwise I’d post it. We have tons of info on LJH but it’s all background (and somewhat sensitive) and just underscores how he could go in any direction. He’s unpredictable and doesn’t know what he’s going to do, at last check. 

Everybody I’ve talked to says Jones is returning but until he says publicly one way or the other I guess it’s possible he leaves. Most are emphatic he’s coming back but his girlfriend working for an agency gives me some pause.

I wish he’d leave so the best 11 is obvious, I wrote mostly jokingly.

///

EN: Whittington is the five-star version of Chuba Hubbard (baller) or Brian Herrien (Georgia).

///

reminder, here is what IT said on 1/7 re: Beaty:

DAVID BEATY

There's a good chance the former Kansas head coach will end up in Austin even if the wide receiver job doesn't come open. Similar to Sonny Dykes at TCU, Beaty would consider a QC job while planning his next move or waiting for something better to open up at Texas. We've seen other coaches do this while they continue to draw a check from their previous employer.

TFloss re: Desmond Bland (Juco OL)

Spoiler

Quotes from JUCO OL Desmond Bland of Arizona Western College (24/7):

“Our conversation went well,” Bland said. “He (Coach Hand) was just telling me that he’s graduating some guys, and he has some younger guys, but he explained what my role would be on the line.”

“He didn’t mention an offer, but I’m pretty sure they’re going to check my grades,” Bland said. “But we talked about a visit. There is nothing in particular I want to see. I just want to be on the campus.”

“I’m very interested in Texas,” Bland said. “Who wouldn’t be interested in Texas? They have their own channel (laughs). I like the tradition and history that is behind the school.”

https://247sports.com/Player/Desmond-Bland-68822/

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NoName said:

IT Tidbits:

Reveal hidden contents

On staff changes: Not even counting the potential of Applewhite hiring away somebody, we were relatively confident 1-2 guys would be hired away, but both Drayton’s Akron gig and Mehringer’ JMU opportunity dried up.

As I wrote in November, the season finish could play into how much Herman wants to make changes. Well, they just contended for the conference and beat Georgia while playing better defense so I’m not sure how proactive he’ll be.

On early departures, clearly we don’t have anything new, otherwise I’d post it. We have tons of info on LJH but it’s all background (and somewhat sensitive) and just underscores how he could go in any direction. He’s unpredictable and doesn’t know what he’s going to do, at last check. 

Everybody I’ve talked to says Jones is returning but until he says publicly one way or the other I guess it’s possible he leaves. Most are emphatic he’s coming back but his girlfriend working for an agency gives me some pause.

///

EN: Whittington is the five-star version of Chuba Hubbard (baller) or Brian Herrien (Georgia).

///

DAVID BEATY

There's a good chance the former Kansas head coach will end up in Austin even if the wide receiver job doesn't come open. Similar to Sonny Dykes at TCU, Beaty would consider a QC job while planning his next move or waiting for something better to open up at Texas. We've seen other coaches do this while they continue to draw a check from their previous employer.

Man that really cleared things up. 

38 minutes ago, NoName said:

IT Tidbits:

Hide contents

///

///

DAVID BEATY

Beaty's help with "game-planning" against OU 2.0 didn't exactly inspire confidence. I would want him on but only to recruit the DFW area. 

My understanding is that Beaty was consulted primarily for help with self-scouting (revealing tendencies and such). If he can recruit at a high level and not alienate whatever position group he's assigned to, that's fine with me. I'm not sure he addresses the lack of a playcaller on the staff not named Herman.

• Like 1

My understanding is that Beaty was consulted primarily for help with self-scouting (revealing tendencies and such). If he can recruit at a high level and not alienate whatever position group he's assigned to, that's fine with me. I'm not sure he addresses the lack of a playcaller on the staff not named Herman.

Which begs the question, will Herman bring on a play caller or is he content filling that role again next season? Texas HC is too big a job to continue handling playcalling responsibilities, but Herman may believe he can do it all.

16 minutes ago, Machinator said:

are we going to continue to have 2 co OCs, an offensive AHC (and potentially a second offensive AHC?) and not have any of them call plays? haha

giphy.gif

Edited by NoName