Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

If Jake Ehlinger and David Neil make it in, this would be one of the most badass PWO classes I can remember.

I’m pretty sure they both are. No inside info or anything. Just seems like they are. 

Csb time. I coached little league at western hills back in 2011 and 2012. During warmups before one of our games I look in the stands and see Dan Niel then look over at the other team warming up. Yeah David Niel was like 5-10 160 as a 11 or 12 year old. He was the only kid in the league to hit an actual homer. Not one of those little league 15 errors ones. It cleared the fence by 20+ feet/csb

24 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I’m pretty sure they both are. No inside info or anything. Just seems like they are. 

Csb time. I coached little league at western hills back in 2011 and 2012. During warmups before one of our games I look in the stands and see Dan Niel then look over at the other team warming up. Yeah David Niel was like 5-10 160 as a 11 or 12 year old. He was the only kid in the league to hit an actual homer. Not one of those little league 15 errors ones. It cleared the fence by 20+ feet/csb

Yeah, I coached there back in the spring of 2000 (assisted Sammie Joseph) and it amazed me how there weren't any home runs hit compared to when I played. We had one kid hit one home run and there were none by our opponents the entire season. Seemed like every team had multiple guys with home run power when I played there. Of course there were only 10 years between when I played and coached and you were another 11-12 years on. So at the rate I saw power leave the game it doesn't surprise me that the entire league only had one guy in 2011.

Anyway, that's not really relevant to this thread, but you reminded me. Plus we're never getting to 1000 without sidebars.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

...The current Texas situation seems like it could be a microcosm of this - instead of having 5 quality QBs next year, we'll have 3 and someone else gets Buechele for a year (maybe SMU) and someone else gets Rising for a few years...

...Someone else gets Buechele for TWO YEARS (probably SMU).

Shane played his Freshman & Sophomore years at UT, redshirted this year, graduates in May, and then will have 2 years to play 2 years as a Grad Transfer.

The new redshirt rules this year helped the Horns and helped Shane.

A nice MBA from SMU while starting 2 years just down I-30 from where his family lives isn't too shabby.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

...Someone else gets Buechele for TWO YEARS (probably SMU).

Shane played his Freshman & Sophomore years at UT, redshirted this year, graduates in May, and then will have 2 years to play 2 years as a Grad Transfer.

The new redshirt rules this year helped the Horns and helped Shane.

A nice MBA from SMU while starting 2 years just down I-30 from where his family lives isn't too shabby.

Wish him the best wherever he decides to transfer.  Selfishly, I would like him to come to Dallas and play for the Ponies.  Having attended two great schools for his education will help him have a great career after football is over, but it would be great if he got to start the next two years at SMU. Good kid, good team mate, and good family makes him a good choice.

Just now, Bodacious Bevo said:

Have they released the spring practice schedule yet? 

Is there a topic on the football board for all the writeups and stuff yet? I try not to spend too much time there haha...

But I'm ready to get my burnt orange koolaid drank on. 

No practice schedule yet.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Right. Did you even look up their depth chart? They have an entrenched starter that is a Junior. He has to wait two more years at Utah just like he would at Texas. 

I didn't look at the depth chart, but I saw them play several times last year.  Their top QB was hurt most of the year and he will be back, and Shelley looked like ass trying to replace him.  

OB War Room. I'm not wasting space with the part on Shepherd. The tidbit on Johnson and Arkansas is telling. 

Spoiler

The Texas early enrollees moved to campus on Wednesday. I had an update on JUCO LB Caleb Johnson in my 3-2-1 column this week, but here are a couple extra notes that I thought might be of interest.

Johnson is still recovering from his shoulder injury and has been told he may be held out of spring practices, but that hasn’t changed his mindset … he’s coming in with the intention of locking down a starting spot and being a leader for the Texas defense beginning next year.

“I’m not going in like I have plenty of time. I would like to make an impact as soon as I can,” Johnson said. “I want this to be the best seasons I have ever had. It’s nice to have the extra years (Johnson will have three seasons in Austin), but don’t think I’m going to need them.”

Once Johnson committed to Texas, he said he never had a shred of doubt. The Longhorns were always the team to beat, and Johnson said some other coaches used negative tactics to try to knock Texas down his list.

“Pretty much every other coach tried to talk me out of it, tried to pretty much talk bad on coach Herman and stuff,” Tucker said. “I felt like most of the real coaches, like coach (Mel) Tucker at Colorado, he said I’m not going to say anything negative about a school like Texas. Pretty much anyone who would do that, I just stayed away from them and shut them out.”

For the record, Johnson took official visits to Arkansas, Colorado and Oregon late in the process. Did I mention he visited Arkansas?

I caught up with offensive lineman Ira Henry this week after Texas assistant Herb Hand stopped in for a visit on Tuesday. Henry, out of St. Louis Trinity Catholic, said it was a good visit but it sounds like things are in a bit of a holding pattern with Texas.

“He talked about what Texas has to offer me, where I fit in at Texas,” Henry said. “He told me about what he does and how they develop people, where I could fit in, guard or tackle. He said I could be a swing guy for them.”

Henry took an early official visit to Iowa State. He was at Florida last weekend, told me he’s added Auburn for this weekend and has Florida State set for January 25. As for Texas, Henry said the Longhorns, Penn State and Oklahoma are the teams he’s considering for his last visit. That being said, he has also told me that he wants to have an offer in hand before he takes an official visit, and Oklahoma is the only one out of that group who has formally offered. Henry said he believes Texas is going to offer, but he’s waiting to hear back from Texas after the staff discusses the situation.

Henry did say there’s a “big chance” Texas gets his last visit if the Longhorns do offer, so we’ll keep an eye on this one to see if anything develops. With teammate Marcus Washington signed – and Texas in a good spot with 2020 teammate Mookie Cooper – this one could get interesting if the Longhorns make a late push.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

OB War Room. I'm not wasting space with the part on Shepherd. The tidbit on Johnson and Arkansas is telling. 

Hide contents

The Texas early enrollees moved to campus on Wednesday. I had an update on JUCO LB Caleb Johnson in my 3-2-1 column this week, but here are a couple extra notes that I thought might be of interest.

Johnson is still recovering from his shoulder injury and has been told he may be held out of spring practices, but that hasn’t changed his mindset … he’s coming in with the intention of locking down a starting spot and being a leader for the Texas defense beginning next year.

“I’m not going in like I have plenty of time. I would like to make an impact as soon as I can,” Johnson said. “I want this to be the best seasons I have ever had. It’s nice to have the extra years (Johnson will have three seasons in Austin), but don’t think I’m going to need them.”

Once Johnson committed to Texas, he said he never had a shred of doubt. The Longhorns were always the team to beat, and Johnson said some other coaches used negative tactics to try to knock Texas down his list.

“Pretty much every other coach tried to talk me out of it, tried to pretty much talk bad on coach Herman and stuff,” Tucker said. “I felt like most of the real coaches, like coach (Mel) Tucker at Colorado, he said I’m not going to say anything negative about a school like Texas. Pretty much anyone who would do that, I just stayed away from them and shut them out.”

For the record, Johnson took official visits to Arkansas, Colorado and Oregon late in the process. Did I mention he visited Arkansas?

I caught up with offensive lineman Ira Henry this week after Texas assistant Herb Hand stopped in for a visit on Tuesday. Henry, out of St. Louis Trinity Catholic, said it was a good visit but it sounds like things are in a bit of a holding pattern with Texas.

“He talked about what Texas has to offer me, where I fit in at Texas,” Henry said. “He told me about what he does and how they develop people, where I could fit in, guard or tackle. He said I could be a swing guy for them.”

Henry took an early official visit to Iowa State. He was at Florida last weekend, told me he’s added Auburn for this weekend and has Florida State set for January 25. As for Texas, Henry said the Longhorns, Penn State and Oklahoma are the teams he’s considering for his last visit. That being said, he has also told me that he wants to have an offer in hand before he takes an official visit, and Oklahoma is the only one out of that group who has formally offered. Henry said he believes Texas is going to offer, but he’s waiting to hear back from Texas after the staff discusses the situation.

Henry did say there’s a “big chance” Texas gets his last visit if the Longhorns do offer, so we’ll keep an eye on this one to see if anything develops. With teammate Marcus Washington signed – and Texas in a good spot with 2020 teammate Mookie Cooper – this one could get interesting if the Longhorns make a late push.

Honesty if an Arkansas program with an aggy coach didn't negative recruit Texas, I'd be disappointed in them.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 6:10 AM, Junior Miller said:

You don't know until you live there, plus it's a 17 yr old kid making the decision. He's not the first to arrive gung ho, not like it, and move closer to home. 

You are right about that.  Not just in sports either. I remember my freshman year watching many of other freshmen start the progressive descent into depression until they dropped  out. College life at a large university isn't for everyone.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Luka Skywalker said:

What exactly does “negative recruiting”entail?

The reason I ask is because I would think comparing the positives of your program vs the negatives of another program would be fair game.

You just answered your own question. Good coaches know they have more to sell than other programs and don't even have to mention other programs. Shitty coaches will downplay their own shortcomings while shitting on other programs to make themselves look better. 

18 minutes ago, Luka Skywalker said:

What exactly does “negative recruiting”entail?

The reason I ask is because I would think comparing the positives of your program vs the negatives of another program would be fair game.

Young man, I used to live in Austin.  I know Austin.  It is a shithole with a crap university.  Now you look at the heaven that I live in here in Fayetteville and our prestigious, Ivy League like University here.  This is where you want to live for the next four years.

- Arky Chad

15 minutes ago, Rockwell Torrey said:

Young man, I used to live in Austin.  I know Austin.  It is a shithole with a crap university.  Now you look at the heaven that I live in here in Fayetteville and our prestigious, Ivy League like University here.  This is where you want to live for the next four years.

- Arky Chad

Probably something more like...

"Yeah, I've been a HS coach for 30 years in Texas, I've known Tom Herman a long time, and I know a lot of guys who've known Tom Herman a long time. All the Zach Smith rumors and stories aren't the first time we've heard things like that, we've been hearing that about Tom Herman for years. He's a great salesman, and a bit of a showman, but his reputation behind the scenes isn't nearly as squeaky clean as it appears on living room couches and in front of a camera, and neither is his pitch."

This might be the last year they could use the below pitch, but in the last decade to twelve years the following I'm sure worked well:

"Yeah, well, what the coach said is all well and good, but at the end of the day, who is Texas developing? Who are they putting in the draft? What titles are they winning? Results speak for themselves."

22 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Don't forget their DC is the chief, who's recruited against us for years .  He doesn't say much publicly, but what he thinks and says privately is on display very clearly via his bitchass son's twitter.

Say whut?  We got a bitch ass son giving shit away on twitter?

12 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

If Wiley is a legit 6’5”, he’s gotta already be well north of the 225 lbs at which he was listed.  Gonna be a big boy, with the athletic ability to play HS QB. May be a real surprise.

Kid may grow himself into an OL prospect.  He has the kind of athleticism that could translate into an elite LT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Probably something more like...

"Yeah, I've been a HS coach for 30 years in Texas, I've known Tom Herman a long time, and I know a lot of guys who've known Tom Herman a long time. All the Zach Smith rumors and stories aren't the first time we've heard things like that, we've been hearing that about Tom Herman for years. He's a great salesman, and a bit of a showman, but his reputation behind the scenes isn't nearly as squeaky clean as it appears on living room couches and in front of a camera, and neither is his pitch."

This might be the last year they could use the below pitch, but in the last decade to twelve years the following I'm sure worked well:

"Yeah, well, what the coach said is all well and good, but at the end of the day, who is Texas developing? Who are they putting in the draft? What titles are they winning? Results speak for themselves."

Good shot, but I seriously doubt they're that diplomatic about it. The Arkansas hatred for Texas is very real, and it permeates everything there. Not unlike aggy's neverending penis envy.

• Like 1

A skilled negative recruiter will disavow it while doing it.

"I'm not going to waste your time talking about Tom Herman just because of that Zack Smith strip club stuff. Arkansas is the kind of place that is so exciting, you will forget all about that mess."

(Having carefully researched to confirm a true SO at TEXAS, the principal recruiting rival, has the starting job locked down at a position) "Look. Some coaches will negative recruit and tell you how bad another place is. I am only going to talk about Arkansas. Blah blah sunshine, and we have a solid team except a glaring hole at XXX where a guy as talented as you is going to be hard to keep off the field from day 1."

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/01/open-post-weekend-january-18th-20th/

Trending | Jalen Catalon
– Super K

Checked with a few sources regarding the recruitment of Texas DB target, Jalen Catalon.

Was able to check on sources on the Arkansas, Texas and TCU side. TCU is unsure of where they stand. And both Arkansas and Texas seem to believe Arkansas is his likely landing spot.

Two teammates of Catalon’s signed with Arkansas during the early signing period.

So, based on what I’m hearing, I believe this one is trending Arkansas.

***Rice grad transfer, Zach Abercrumbia tells me that Texas did not stop by earlier this week. According to Zach, Oscar Giles was supposed to meet with Zach on Tuesday but the visit did not happen.

This may be a situation where, as I mentioned yesterday, Texas doesn’t want to disrupt anything with guys like Coburn and Ojomo.

I’ll be checking…

***Also, 2019 OT, Ira Henry (St. Louis) tells me that Texas did indeed do an in-home visit with him earlier this week.

I’m waiting to hear back on a date for an official visit.

With Texas only signing two offensive linemen in the early period and Shepherd wavering, Henry has become an important target given that the Horns were planing on signing four in this class.

Shane Buechele in the portal
– Will Baizer

We’ve been pretty adamant that quarterback Shane Buechele would be considering a transfer. Well, as first reported by Anwar Richardson, Buechele has entered his name into the transfer Portal. I was told a few weeks ago that SMU is the likely destination.

With Cameron Rising looking like he’ll be departing, if Buechele does decide to leave, the quarterback room would have three guys in it (assuming Casey Thompson stays).

As we reported when all of this originally started to break, the likelihood that one of the quarterbacks considering a transfer would stay is high if two other quarterbacks departed. That still appears to be the case, but Thompson’s situation still isn’t fully resolved. We’ve been told that Casey Thompson’s issues had more to do with gripes than with the lack of playing time and there are a lot of factors still at play.

Quick-Hitters | Hand & Proctor, PWO QB
– CJ Vogel

**** As has been reported before, the Texas staff heavily involved in the OL transfer market. OL Coach Herb Hand will visit former Virginia Cavalier OT RJ Proctor tomorrow.

Proctor announced his intentions to grad transfer on January 3rd, and has been flooded with interest from programs since.

Florida State’s OL Coach Greg Frey visited Proctor on Tuesday of this week as well.

So far it appears the Longhorns are up in a “top group” early for Proctor, who will be making a decision in the spring before enrolling as a graduate transfer in June.

I’ll have an update later about Hand’s visit.

**** While the Texas QB situation is undergoing a rather wicked shake-up, there is a new face guaranteed to be in the QB room next season.

Sam Saxton, from St. Michael’s Academy in Austin, Texas, has accepted a PWO spot with the team next season.

Saxton is 6’5″ and finished his senior season with 18 TD and just 2 INT on 65% completion percentage. Saxton had a plethora of Ivy League offers, as well as Southern Miss, Memphis, Rutgers and SFA.

If Ira Henry is an important target why haven’t we offered him yet?

If we stand to lose all three backup quarterbacks... maybe it’s time to axe our OC who doesn’t even call plays... just a thought. I love the development I’ve witnessed in Sam but we need a quarterbacks coach who isn’t toxic in the eyes and ears of our quarterback room.

Edited by Sundancekid
  • Fuck You 18

1 minute ago, Sundancekid said:

If Ira Henry is an important target why haven’t we offered him yet?

If we stand to lose all three backup quarterbacks... maybe it’s time to axe our OC who doesn’t even call plays... just a thought. I love the development I’ve witnessed in Sam but we need a quarterbacks coach that isn’t toxic in the eyes and ears of our quarterback room.

He isn't toxic. You are making things up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1