Shit HEB Makes (when its open).

DougO

It would help if I bought a 2nd refrigrerator.  Typically 6-7 people in our house are storing food in that thing.  It's bursting at the seams.  Fortunately, there is some movement towards an empty nest, but we have a ways to go.

On 1/12/2024 at 6:33 PM, Mittens said:

I'll never understand this mentality.  It never even crossed my mind to go to HEB until I saw another post on social media an hour or so ago.  Does a huge portion of society go to the grocery store daily?

People still in numbers recall the shortages during the early Covid months.   At least they didn’t buyout the supply of lightbulbs to have on hand in case of a power outage.    Plenty of TP was on the shelf too at my Circle K sized HEB.  

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MrBig said:

Look how puffy the bags are. They’re more than half full of air, even more so than the name brand chips.

They make chips in bags without air.  They're on the baking aisle. It's called corn meal/ potato flour.

On 1/10/2024 at 9:41 PM, GottaB said:

I’ve had the opposite experience. Every time we buy the hydroponic, they look like picture perfect strawberries leaving the store spoil within days.

wash, dry and store in a mason jar. they last way way way longer. make sure they are fully dry though...

source: i have kids that love strawberries. this works 99% of the time.

Edited by NoName

13 hours ago, Deej said:

They probably all taste the same. 

Yeah, in the past I've found that HEB's novelty flavored chips taste like they have the same general dusting of artificial flavor, not really distinct from each other, and not really tasting like "thanksgiving stuffing" or "pepperoni pizza rolls."  In fact, in a blind taste test I bet few to none of us could articulate the intended flavor of any one of those particular chips.*

*I say this, yet I still buy those from time to time, because, chips and all.

• Hook 'Em 2

58 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Yeah, in the past I've found that HEB's novelty flavored chips taste like they have the same general dusting of artificial flavor, not really distinct from each other, and not really tasting like "thanksgiving stuffing" or "pepperoni pizza rolls."  In fact, in a blind taste test I bet few to none of us could articulate the intended flavor of any one of those particular chips.*

*I say this, yet I still buy those from time to time, because, chips and all.

i liked the cajun chips this time - they taste kind of like the zapps bbq chips to me?

pepp pizza rolls are a prime example of one we bought to try, i thought they were ok.

all this said, i really enjoyed these

008331514-1?jpegSize=150&hei=1400&fit=co

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Ran out of time to make dinner tonight for me, my wife and one son.  Stopped in and grabbed a quiche Lorraine.  Yeah, yeah, whatever.  It was delicious:

image.png.d5d3f63452a5163f4d64156749310650.png

Their quiches are very good as well as those pre-made meals in the same area.spacer.pngspacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Their quiches are very good as well as those pre-made meals in the same area.spacer.pngspacer.png

i pick up the 2 pack stuffed salmon and bring my own vegetable (salet) quite often.  have a stack of those little aluminum trays now.  they used to have a stuffed chicken breast with asparagus, havarti, and prosciutto which was delicious, but that's been gone a while. 

can't seem to find zatarain's mustard anywhere right now.  neither heb nor kroger have shelf space and whole foods has a void where it should be. 

55 minutes ago, Bolero88 said:

I wish those meals were real food and not preservative laden junk.

Yes, there are a few I grab in a pinch but I try to watch my sodium intake carefully and most of those are off the charts, like a full day’s worth. 

Not strictly HEB-centric, but I'm not gonna start a new thread about pickled jalapenos.  These are my go-to brand, not particularly hot, a little sweet, fantastic on nachos, etc.  However, there are about eleventy billion other options on the shelves -- any particular recommendations?

image.png.674f74da32c5582e10dd1bd46854d4c6.png

24 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Not strictly HEB-centric, but I'm not gonna start a new thread about pickled jalapenos.  These are my go-to brand, not particularly hot, a little sweet, fantastic on nachos, etc.  However, there are about eleventy billion other options on the shelves -- any particular recommendations?

Mt Olive 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I buy these frequently at HEB.

GUEST_f6ce02c1-f236-4133-b8ef-6b93a331c5

This is my preference, but have to get them at Central Market because my neighborhood HEB doesn't carry them.

960184687-ECOM?$ng-ecom-pdp-desktop$&def

I love pickled jalapenos, and I primarily use them on burgers, but lately have been throwing several in salads, and like to dice a few and add them to homemade pimento cheese. 

And I don't know if the nerves in my tongue are deadening as I get older or my tolerance for spicy foods is increasing, but I always go for the "hot" option over mild, and I don't think they're overpowering.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 2/7/2024 at 8:58 AM, Mittens said:

Going to have to hunt this down

image.thumb.png.b82b043ae0d08c80123c010cfadfa1f7.png

It's fucking awesome.  The lightest ice cream I've ever eaten - it was entirely too easy to knock down an entire pint in one sitting.  Holy shit it's good.

• Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

On 2/7/2024 at 5:08 PM, South Austin said:

And I don't know if the nerves in my tongue are deadening as I get older or my tolerance for spicy foods is increasing, but I always go for the "hot" option over mild, and I don't think they're overpowering.

Ive  noticed the same. I figure at some point I'll burn out my GI Tract and require diapers, but in the meantime my preferences with hot sauces, wings, etc... have grown markedly hotter the last couple of years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/9/2024 at 11:36 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

Buy the sliced ones in the can from the brand San Marcos...

This....

But I don't buy them anymore other than for a party.  For daily use, I pickle my own every summer.  Have 2 pint jars in the fridge from my October/November pepper harvest.  

-Whole Black Pepper Kernels

-Minced Garlic

-Sea Salt

-Vinegar

-Jalapenos

I "fridge" pickle them, so they'll stay good for about a year.  

• Hook 'Em 5

On 2/7/2024 at 2:24 PM, jimmyjazz said:

On 2/9/2024 at 6:32 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

It sucks it’s like $5 for a jar 

I buy the big-ass can of pickled japs and empty them in a large old pickle jar. The markup on the smaller jars of japs is absurd. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just a heads up: it's shown as a Limited Edition, but it's also almost identical to their Lemon Cookie ice cream from their standard rotation.  I know because I accidentally grabbed the Lemon Cookie pint trying to go back again for the Lemon Bar.  I think the icing swirl part might be the differentiator between the two?