Ethiopian Airlines 737 Max crashes killing 157

Nueces River Rat

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Nope. One single vodka before you board, one single once you get on. I do not like flying and have flown a lot (have my reasons). That was the trick my boss taught be for transatlantic. Fell asleep coming out of Amsterdam, woke up in DC. I liked that flight.

I hate flying. I do 2 drinks + the Xanax.  I haven’t taken a Xanax for any reason other than getting on an airplane in 10+ years, but I keep them handy for when I have to fly and be around other humans in an airport.

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I hate flying. I do 2 drinks + the Xanax.  I haven’t taken a Xanax for any reason other than getting on an airplane in 10+ years, but I keep them handy for when I have to fly and be around other humans in an airport.

I loved flying until a few incidents. I loved airports until they got sloppy and people piss in the aisle.

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

My only fear while flying is getting sucked out, which used to be pretty irrational. Welcome to the post Covid shitification of everything. 

Hey man, Boeing had a fiduciary duty to enshittify their product! Otherwise they wouldn't have been able to push the best returns and stock buybacks to their shareholders.

Sure, things may be bad now but it's only bag holders taking it in the shorts - the exec leadership team that made the decisions that got them here cashed out LOOOOONG ago

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

latam 789 on way from sydney to auckland then across the big empty to santiago......

yesterday something happened, it was not clear-air turbulence, 50 people injured, blood on the celiing

welp, houston, we have a problem........

++++++

More On The Techincal Incident

It was originally reported that the incident was due to unexpected clear air turbulence, but that does not appear to be the case.

LATAM later blamed the incident on a “technical” issue that led to ” strong movement” but provided no more details. But a passenger onboard reports that one of the pilots told him, “My gauges just blanked out, I lost all of my ability to fly the plane.”

Without being an armchair mechanic, I wonder if this has anything to do with the 2016 airworthiness directive from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) that concerns control module simultaneously resetting?

In an airworthiness directive to be published Friday, the FAA said it is reacting to indications that “all three flight control modules on the 787 might simultaneously reset if continuously powered on for 22 days.”

It said such a simultaneous reset in flight “could result in flight control surfaces not moving in response to flight crew inputs for a short time and consequent temporary loss of controllability.”

Would these screens going black potentially cause such a freefall or boot the aircraft from autopilot?

I trust that LATAM and New Zealand investigators will be transparent as they seek to understand better exactly what occurred.

Edited by Hagbard Celine

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

a passenger onboard reports that one of the pilots told him, “My gauges just blanked out, I lost all of my ability to fly the plane.”

I doubt a pilot is dumb enough to have done this.  I’d imagine they will be needing their union rep real soon if they did. 

oh boy.....

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-68534703

A former Boeing employee known for raising concerns about the firm's production standards has been found dead in the US.

John Barnett had worked for Boeing for 32 years, until his retirement in 2017.

In the days before his death, he had been giving evidence in a whistleblower lawsuit against the company.

Boeing said it was saddened to hear of Mr Barnett's passing. The Charleston County coroner confirmed his death to the BBC on Monday.

It said the 62-year-old had died from a "self-inflicted" wound on 9 March and police were investigating.

• Hook 'Em 1

My fear of flying is unrivaled. I thought I was over it and booked a plane ticket to San Antonio when Tennessee was playing Texas AM and pussed out and drove anyways. My last flight to Brazil I had 9 beers at the airport and was still in shambles the entire time. This thread has not helped me at all!

this latam shit is potentially a big fucking deal

guys driving 787s are not entry level dudes

clear air turbulence happens, but this level of severity?  bodies breaking and denting the celing, fixtures and luggage bin doors?

i haven't posted all the links and pics - someone else can get to it

this level of injuries -- FIFTY -- that's almost unprecedented in my recollection

latam is claiming "technical malfunction"

a glass cockpit going dark and a plane suddenly plunging at 500 knots ....    this is some deeply scary shit, potentially scarier that the macgyvers required to fix the 73max

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

oh boy.....

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-68534703

A former Boeing employee known for raising concerns about the firm's production standards has been found dead in the US.

John Barnett had worked for Boeing for 32 years, until his retirement in 2017.

In the days before his death, he had been giving evidence in a whistleblower lawsuit against the company.

Boeing said it was saddened to hear of Mr Barnett's passing. The Charleston County coroner confirmed his death to the BBC on Monday.

It said the 62-year-old had died from a "self-inflicted" wound on 9 March and police were investigating.

Did he jump out a window after he shot himself?

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Clintonaldo said:

My fear of flying is unrivaled

I haven't flown since 1998. 9/11, 19 seasons of Air Disasters, and all the sky Karen videos make me think I've made the right choice. It's not even so much the idea of the plane going down as it is dealing with all the bullshit. 

I've flown around the world. I'm good now. 

Edited by Deej

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

this latam shit is potentially a big fucking deal

guys driving 787s are not entry level dudes

clear air turbulence happens, but this level of severity?  bodies breaking and denting the celing, fixtures and luggage bin doors?

i haven't posted all the links and pics - someone else can get to it

this level of injuries -- FIFTY -- that's almost unprecedented in my recollection

latam is claiming "technical malfunction"

a glass cockpit going dark and a plane suddenly plunging at 500 knots ....    this is some deeply scary shit, potentially scarier that the macgyvers required to fix the 73max

This fits the description of wind shear or turbulence events that cause news reports about 10 times a year.   Let's see if the display-blanking story turns out to be real.

23 minutes ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

So Boeing murdered that guy, right?  The guy was on his second day of testimony. Culmination of years work to blow open Boeing’s malfeasance. Then offs himself before the payoff?  No way 

He felt guilty about William Santiago's death and he couldn't testify against his buddy Nathan Jessup

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Clintonaldo said:

My fear of flying is unrivaled. I thought I was over it and booked a plane ticket to San Antonio when Tennessee was playing Texas AM and pussed out and drove anyways. My last flight to Brazil I had 9 beers at the airport and was still in shambles the entire time. This thread has not helped me at all!

I have been flying around 15 times a month since October and I only ever read this damn thread at the airport. 

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Clintonaldo said:

Maybe this was fear of being subjected to aggy football?

10 hours ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

So Boeing murdered that guy, right?  The guy was on his second day of testimony. Culmination of years work to blow open Boeing’s malfeasance. Then offs himself before the payoff?  No way 

I feel that’s ascribing a level of competence to Boeing that they don’t deserve.

• Hook 'Em 4

paywalled at NYT

At one point during the examination, the air-safety agency observed mechanics at Spirit using a hotel key card to check a door seal, according to a document that describes some of the findings. That action was “not identified/documented/called-out in the production order,” the document said.

In another instance, the F.A.A. saw Spirit mechanics apply liquid Dawn soap to a door seal “as lubricant in the fit-up process,” according to the document. The door seal was then cleaned with a wet cheesecloth, the document said, noting that instructions were “vague and unclear on what specifications/actions are to be followed or recorded by the mechanic.”

Asked about the appropriateness of using a hotel key card or Dawn soap in those situations, a spokesman for Spirit, Joe Buccino, said the company was “reviewing all identified nonconformities for corrective action.”

12 minutes ago, RPM said:

link no werk

Dont know what to tell ya...the link works on both my phone and laptop

A six-week audit by the Federal Aviation Administration of Boeing’s production of the 737 Max jet found dozens of problems throughout the manufacturing process at the plane maker and one of its key suppliers, according to a slide presentation reviewed by The New York Times.

The air-safety regulator initiated the examination after a door panel blew off a 737 Max 9 during an Alaska Airlines flight in early January. Last week, the agency announced that the audit had found “multiple instances” in which Boeing and the supplier, Spirit AeroSystems, failed to comply with quality-control requirements, though it did not provide specifics about the findings.

The presentation reviewed by The Times, though highly technical, offers a more detailed picture of what the audit turned up. Since the Alaska Airlines episode, Boeing has come under intense scrutiny over its quality-control practices, and the findings add to the body of evidence about manufacturing lapses at the company.

For the portion of the examination focused on Boeing, the F.A.A. conducted 89 product audits, a type of review that looks at aspects of the production process. The plane maker passed 56 of the audits and failed 33 of them, with a total of 97 instances of alleged noncompliance, according to the presentation.

The F.A.A. also conducted 13 product audits for the part of the inquiry that focused on Spirit AeroSystems, which makes the fuselage, or body, of the 737 Max. Six of those audits resulted in passing grades, and seven resulted in failing ones, the presentation said.

At one point during the examination, the air-safety agency observed mechanics at Spirit using a hotel key card to check a door seal, according to a document that describes some of the findings. That action was “not identified/documented/called-out in the production order,” the document said.

In another instance, the F.A.A. saw Spirit mechanics apply liquid Dawn soap to a door seal “as lubricant in the fit-up process,” according to the document. The door seal was then cleaned with a wet cheesecloth, the document said, noting that instructions were “vague and unclear on what specifications/actions are to be followed or recorded by the mechanic.”

Asked about the appropriateness of using a hotel key card or Dawn soap in those situations, a spokesman for Spirit, Joe Buccino, said the company was “reviewing all identified nonconformities for corrective action.”

Jessica Kowal, a spokeswoman for Boeing, said the plane maker continued “to implement immediate changes and develop a comprehensive action plan to strengthen safety and quality, and build the confidence of our customers and their passengers.”

In late February, the F.A.A. gave the company 90 days to develop a plan for quality-control improvements. In response, its chief executive, Dave Calhoun, said that “we have a clear picture of what needs to be done,” citing in part the audit findings.

Boeing said this month that it was in talks to acquire Spirit, which it spun out in 2005. Mr. Buccino said on Monday that Spirit had received preliminary audit findings from the F.A.A. and planned to work with Boeing to address what the regulator had raised. He said Spirit’s goal was to reduce to zero the number of defects and errors in its processes.

“Meanwhile, we continue multiple efforts undertaken to improve our safety and quality programs,” Mr. Buccino said. “These improvements focus on human factors and other steps to minimize nonconformities.”

The F.A.A. said it could not release specifics about the audit because of its active investigation into Boeing in response to the Alaska Airlines episode. In addition to that inquiry, the National Transportation Safety Board is investigating what caused the door panel to blow off the plane, and the Justice Department has begun a criminal investigation.

During the F.A.A.’s examination, the agency deployed as many as 20 auditors at Boeing and roughly half a dozen at Spirit, according to the slide presentation. Boeing assembles the 737 Max at its plant in Renton, Wash., while Spirit builds the plane’s fuselage at its factory in Wichita, Kan.

The audit at Boeing was wide ranging, covering many parts of the 737 Max, including its wings and an assortment of other systems.

Many of the problems found by auditors fell in the category of not following an “approved manufacturing process, procedure or instruction,” according to the presentation. Some other issues dealt with quality-control documentation.

“It wasn’t just paperwork issues, and sometimes it’s the order that work is done,” Mike Whitaker, the F.A.A. administrator, said at a news conference on Monday. “Sometimes it’s tool management — it sounds kind of pedestrian, but it’s really important in a factory that you have a way of tracking tools effectively so that you have the right tool and you know you didn’t leave it behind. So it’s really plant floor hygiene, if you will, and a variety of issues of that nature.”

One audit dealt with the component that blew off the Alaska Airlines jet, known as a door plug. Boeing failed that check, according to the presentation. Some of the issues flagged by that audit related to inspection and quality-control documentation, though the exact findings were not detailed in the presentation.

The F.A.A.’s examination also explored how well Boeing’s employees understood the company’s quality-control processes. The agency interviewed six company engineers and scored their responses, and the overall average score came out to only 58 percent.

One audit at Spirit that focused on the door plug component found five problems. One of those problems, the presentation said, was that Boeing “failed to provide evidence of approval of minor design change under a method acceptable to the F.A.A.” It was not clear from the presentation what the design change was.

Another audit dealt with the installation of the door plug, and it was among those that Spirit failed. The audit raised concerns about the Spirit technicians who carried out the work and found that the company “failed to determine the knowledge necessary for the operation of its processes.”

Other audits that Spirit failed included one that involved a cargo door and another that dealt with the installation of cockpit windows.

as i wrote last night, they have the FDR and the CVR otherwise the detail in this article would not be known......

++++++

https://www.1news.co.nz/2024/03/12/aircraft-systems-issue-possible-cause-of-latam-incident-commentator/

Aircraft systems issue possible cause of LATAM incident – commentator
By 1News Reporters
12:59pm

Experts are looking closely at the performance of the Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner which accelerated in groundspeed sharply from 433 knots to 603 knots.

An aviation expert has weighed in on what may have caused the LATAM Airlines incident, where up to 50 people were injured mid-flight after a sudden drop in altitude during a trip from Sydney to Auckland.

At least 13 people were transported to Middlemore Hospital, and St John said among the 50 injured was one person in serious condition. Some remain in hospital today.

Aviation expert Geoffrey Thomas of Airline Ratings has been covering aviation for 50 years.

He told 1News the strange circumstances of the event point to a computer malfunction in the Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner.

"What we know is [during] the incident which caused all the problems, the speed of the aircraft went from 433 knots to 603 knots groundspeed.

Passengers awaiting an onward flight to Santiago have told 1News they are nervous about getting on board a new flight following yesterday’s incident, which injured dozens.

"At the same time, there was a 25 foot drop. Now, to the passengers, they would make it seem like thousands of feet, but it was actually 25 feet."

Thomas said the 25 foot drop is not to underscore the seriousness of the incident, as a 25 foot drop would have been "terrifying" for the passengers on board.

"[It is] still very violent."

A 'computer malfunction'?

Earlier on in the flight, Thomas said there was another "much lesser" speed aberration, which suggests something "was wrong" with the aircraft systems.

"I think [investigators] will find there's an anomaly there... that there's been some false readings which have caused the aircraft engines to surge. It's very difficult to nail it down."

Thomas added the incident being caused by wind shear is less likely as those events tend to last longer and have more oscillations.

"This was just a very sharp up and down vertical speed change and then it recovered. So to me it seems to point to a computer malfunction."

One passenger, Brian Jokat, told RNZ he asked the pilot what happened.

"I asked him, I said 'what happened?' and he said my instrument panel went blank just you know for a second."

the rest of the article is regurgitation:

Spoiler

A 'difficult time' for Boeing

When asked if he expects a grounding will occur for the Boeing 787, Thomas said he doesn't see one coming in this case.

But, he said the recent aviation incidents surrounding Boeing aircraft has created a difficult time for the company.

"There’s 1000 787s flying around the world and it is a very popular and successful model for Boeing.

"Naturally, [after these incidents] the media is interested. So, anything that happens to a Boeing aircraft will get reported, and that's natural. If it was an Airbus aeroplane having a problem then any issue happening with an Airbus would get reported.

"There's a huge operation behind the scenes of check, cross-check and then double check of anything that happens, and that information is relayed to operators all the time.

"But at the moment, naturally with the Alaska Airlines incident and others, there’s a lot of focus on Boeing."

Why pilots may not have spoken

Speaking to Breakfast this morning Lucas Ellwood, a passenger on the flight, said there was no immediate communication or reassurance after the incident from the pilots.

However, Thomas said their immediate priority was "regaining control of the plane", especially if the autopilot stopped, rather than reassuring passengers.

"It is not clear whether the autopilot disengaged. With a 25 foot drop, I would say the autopilot did disengage, they would have had to bring back the autopilot back to cruising altitude and reengage the autopilot. They were very close to the top of descent to go into Auckland, so the option was to continue the flight, then talk to passengers to reassure them everything is under control."
Investigation

Thomas said there will be an investigation into the event, and it is likely "all parties" involved and are who are suppliers to the 787 systems which could have been responsible will analyse it very closely.

"Investigators will be onto it quickly to analyse the data.

"[It will] ensure this particular fault is isolated to this particular aircraft and components and not a sign of a wider problem."

LATAM said was was "working in coordination with the respective authorities to support the investigations into the incident".

"LATAM Airlines Group’s priority is to support the passengers and crew members of the flight, and apologize for any inconvenience and discomfort that this situation may have caused. They also reiterate their commitment to safety as an uncompromising value within its operational standards."
Chilean inquiry confirmed

The New Zealand Transport Accident Investigation Commission (TAIC) has confirmed the incident involving LATAM flight LA800 occurred in international airspace and Chile will take the lead on the investigation.
More on this topic

Passengers on LATAM flight 'screaming, crying' after mid-air incident

Up to 50 injured in 'strong movement' on Trans-Tasman flight

"Under the International Convention on Aviation, the Chilean accident investigation authority, the Dirección General de Aeronáutica Civil (DGAC), is responsible for investigating the accident and it has confirmed it has opened an investigation," a TAIC statement said.

The Chilean authorities have already requested the assistance of the TAIC, which was in the process of gathering evidence relevant to the inquiry, "including seizing the cockpit voice and flight data recorders".

search string:

maximum recorded velocity of windshear in clear-air turbulence

1st result:

1976 smu scholarly article

https://scholar.smu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=&httpsredir=1&article=2133&context=jalc

i see references to 110kt as the "threshhold" for "windshear"

is it possible to encounter a column of air moving with a vector that achieves a 180kt increase in airspeed with only a 25-foot drop?

now out of my skillset

pilots & bernoulli engineers weigh in please

4 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

search string:

maximum recorded velocity of windshear in clear-air turbulence

1st result:

1976 smu scholarly article

https://scholar.smu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=&httpsredir=1&article=2133&context=jalc

i see references to 110kt as the "threshhold" for "windshear"

is it possible to encounter a column of air moving with a vector that achieves a 180kt increase in airspeed with only a 25-foot drop?

now out of my skillset

pilots & bernoulli engineers weigh in please

Unnecessary.   I've been told it was not in fact atmospheric in cause.   Something to do with pilot input.  Autopilot overriden, most likely unintentionally.  And the screen going blank is bullshit.

Edited by ClubWhatever

knowing enough about commercial aviation to be dangerous.....

.....for the sake of boeing and the 787, which has been "safe" since the battery problem was solved, i hope you're right

.....if you are right sad for the pilot who is likely done in commercial flying

that said, an autopilot over ride that achieves the 180kt speed increase in 1 second with only a 25' drop?

oddly, bbc is silent, but the US mainstream has at least put up their first story

as usual they are 18 hours behind while they wait for captured/sanctioned talking points

Just now, Hagbard Celine said:

.....if you are right sad for the pilot who is likely done in commercial flying

that said, an autopilot over ride that achieves the 180kt speed increase in 1 second with only a 25' drop?

On the first point I don't think that's necessarily the case.

One the second, where are you getting 1 second?

1-second is what the guy in NZ said - that they know this - implied it's from the FDR

and here we go:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/passenger-boeing-flight-suddenly-dropped-061959425.html

Passenger on Boeing flight that suddenly dropped says pilot told him he lost control after instrument failure

Kathleen Magramo, Manveena Suri and Alex Stambaugh, CNN
Tue, March 12, 2024 at 1:24 PM CDT·4 min read

The pilot of a terrifying flight from Australia to New Zealand told those on board he temporarily lost control of his Boeing 787 after one of its instruments failed, a passenger said Monday, as authorities investigate what caused a sudden drop that threw travelers around the cabin, injuring dozens.

In accordance with rules outlined by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), Chile’s Directorate General of Civil Aeronautics (DGAC) have sent investigators from the agency’s Operations and Airworthiness team to look into the incident, according to a statement released on Tuesday.

“Given that the State of Registration of the aircraft involved is Chilean, it has been established with the New Zealand Transport Accident Investigation Commission (TAIC) that the investigation will be carried out by the Chilean Aeronautical Authority,” the statement read.

The incident aboard LATAM Airlines flight 800 from Sydney to Auckland is the latest to hit troubled aircraft manufacturer Boeing, which has been rocked by years of quality and safety issues.

Passenger Brian Jokat described the horrifying moment when he was woken from his sleep as the aircraft “dropped something to the effect of 500 feet instantly.”

“That’s when I opened my eyes and there was various individuals at the top of the plane. Just stuck to the roof and then they fell to the floor. And then I just realized I’m not in a movie, this is actually for real,” he told CNN’s Erin Burnett.

After landing in Auckland, Jokat said the pilot checked on the passengers and explained he had temporarily lost control of the jet.

“I immediately engaged with him and said, ‘What was that?’ And he openly admitted, he said, ‘I lost control of the plane. My gauges just kind of went blank on me,’” Jokat said.

“He said for that brief moment he couldn’t control anything and that’s when the plane did what it did. Then he said the gauges came back and it reengaged, the plane just reengaged to its normal flight pattern. And we had no issues before, no issues after. But just that moment.”

The plane, operated by Chile’s flag carrier, was a Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner, according to flight tracking website FlightAware.

LATAM on Monday said the plane “had a technical event during the flight which caused a strong movement,” adding it had landed as scheduled in Auckland.

In a statement to CNN Tuesday, Boeing said it was “working to gather more information about the flight and will provide any support needed by our customer.”

About 50 people were injured in the incident, with one person in serious condition, emergency services said.

Jokat said he feared for his life when he saw fellow passengers fly out of their seats and hit the ceiling of the plane.

“People were screaming and crying. And yeah, it was mass chaos for a few short seconds,” he said. “Clearly there was a moment in my head that I just kind of resigned to the fact this could be it. This might be it.”
About 50 people were injured in the incident, according to emergency services in Auckland. - Dean Purcell/AP
About 50 people were injured in the incident, according to emergency services in Auckland. - Dean Purcell/AP
Boeing’s troubles

As investigators scramble to discover what might have caused the sudden drop, the incident comes at a fraught time for Boeing.

The US manufacturer has faced harsh criticism for a series of quality and safety issues in recent years, with many critics saying the company has shifted its focus in the last few decades to financial results at the cost of safety and quality in its aircraft.

They include two fatal crashes of the 737 Max jet due to a design flaw in the plane, numerous halts in deliveries due to quality control issues and, most recently, a door plug that blew off of a new 737 Max operated by Alaska Airlines in January, leaving a gaping hole in the side of the plane.

Meanwhile, the Federal Aviation Administration in February flagged safety issues with engine anti-ice systems on the 737 Max and larger 787 Dreamliner.

The safety regulator continues to allow both models of the plane to fly despite the potential problems. Both issues are moving through the FAA’s standard process for developing airworthiness directives — rather than an emergency process — signaling that the agency and plane maker do not believe the issues are serious enough to require the planes to stop flying immediately.

The FAA said Monday it has given Boeing until late May to produce a plan to remedy issues identified in a federal audit and other reviews, including a safety culture survey of employees and a separate panel report that found workers concerned about retaliation for reporting safety concerns.

FAA Administrator Mike Whitaker said he expects the company to produce “a very detailed plan within the next 90 days to fix the quality issues that are out there.”

Boeing has said it is working on several of the issues Whitaker identified.

CNN’s Pete Muntean, Greg Wallace and Chris Isidore contributed reporting.

For more CNN news and newsletters create an account at CNN.com
Up next
Up next
Up next
Up next
Up next