Spring Football starts today

Goo Punch

8 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

5-7 season incoming 

Hell no, I'm drinking so much koolaid I'm thinking 10-2 or 11-1. Half the concerns were non-concerns, and the real concerns were in the context of making the playoff, not having a winning season. Context. Leave Satya to the hand-wringing. I'd rather be overly-optimistic this year.

Edited by Dbeasy

13 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Hell no, I'm drinking so much koolaid I'm thinking 10-2 or 11-1. Half the concerns were non-concerns, and the real concerns were in the context of making the playoff, not having a winning season. Context. Leave Satya to the hand-wringing. I'd rather be overly-optimistic this year.

This is a shocking, but not at all surprising rejoinder.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Sleepygrad said:

I have a hard time believing that Overshown would turn down a role that would get him on the field. That don't make no kinda sense.

26 minutes ago, Nope said:

The report about him turning down the position came from Chip Brown so...

All indications (reports, including others than FCB) are that Overshown is sticking to safety. There was one report that he's slimmed down to 210. Just by looking at the numbers, he's probably your starting Joker.

Where it gets a little blurry is in guessing how much dime we'll be playing. Keep in mind that our conference schedule just went from half air raid to a quarter. On the other hand, linebacker is a presumed, glaring hole that needs to be filled (insert South Austin mom joke.)

I can foresee us running into some problems and TO getting more creative with the dime. In that instance, PT will not be hard to come by for Overshown. If we are successful in nickle then, unless an injury occurs or we somehow learn to keep big 4th quarter leads, the potential exists that Overshown will not be satisfied with his playing time. If that happens, it'll be up to the coaching staff to recruit/ persuade him that with Jones leaving, he'll have a clear path to a starting role in 2020. 

That's the situation (or at least my interpretation) with Overshown. 

Yep. I think Kerstetter showed enough at RT as a TR FR that he should be able to be at least average there, if not better, with two more years of S&C under his belt. Plus, Kerstetter will likely be about average at G or RT.
With Okafor, you have the potential of an all-conference guard or an average-ish RT who will get killed over and over again by speed rushers. 
There’s still no pads, so I’m not too worried about it now, but I’d like to see the staff get Okafor a high number of reps at G once the pads come on. He’s the kind of guy who can get some serious movement on the LOS and open up running lanes that weren’t there last year for our RBs.

This shit right here. I'm really interested to get a live look at Imade as well. To me, he is the wildcard here.

I understand how physically gifted he is but a guy that has spent his career buried on the depth chart and switching from OL and DL is at a pretty big developmental deficit. If he ends up locking the open guard slot down (I'm assuming Braun fills the other), then we either have a developmental miracle or Okafor and Junior are not where we need them to be. I won't write the former off with Hand and Yancy in charge, but it isn't exactly likely.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I know we want to redshirt all our frosh OL. I know. Buuuuuut..... what happens when come August Tyler Johnson is our second best OT? Because I think that might happen.

Then the four game redshirt rule is a godsend. If he is clearly one of the best two, you play him. If the difference is marginal, you don't waste a year of eligibility from the outset, you save him for an injury situation or some late season garbage time while saving the shirt.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Texas plays a shit load of dime, and Foster is moving to the nickel. Overshown would have been the starting Joker last year had he stayed healthy.

I'd imagine that Orlando hopes his best 6 will be Sterns, Jones, Foster, Overshown, Cook, and Boyce/Green.

Overshown wasn't going to be the starting Joker last year regardless of his health. He was repping at LB because Foster won that job before Overshown even got on campus. 

This year he'll be the joker IF Foster sticks at nickel. That's a big if. 

37 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Then the four game redshirt rule is a godsend. If he is clearly one of the best two, you play him. If the difference is marginal, you don't waste a year of eligibility from the outset, you save him for an injury situation or some late season garbage time while saving the shirt.

Are there any reports indicating Tyler Johnson may be good enough to be a true Freshman starter, or is this purely Surly speculation? If he is good enough to start at tackle as a freshman, I don't see years of eligibility being an issue. He'll be gone after three.

55 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Where it gets a little blurry is in guessing how much dime we'll be playing. Keep in mind that our conference schedule just went from half air raid to a quarter. On the other hand, linebacker is a presumed, glaring hole that needs to be filled (insert South Austin mom joke.)

With the increasing popularity of rpo's and spread in the NFL,  KState and Kansas will probably both use them more in 2019 to help recruit better skill athletes.  While both West Virginia and Tech will run the ball more than before, both will still be utilizing rpo's and the spread as well.  

Saw this recently from Ian Boyd......

• Matt Wells’ is going to try and turn Tech into a balanced program that does the HUNH spread as well as anyone but also plays good, modern defense.
  • West Virginia under Neal Brown has a similar plan as Matt Wells at Texas Tech. They’re going to do the Air Raid thing but they’ll try to be a little tougher about running the ball and also look to be more balanced in regards to the practice time and recruiting effort they put into special teams and defense. 
  • It’s hard to say what Les Miles’ strategy will be for turning Kansas into a respectable program. It seems like they’ll basically be like one of the other more run-centric spread teams and I don’t know what they’ll do to help them be any better at it than anyone else.
  • To match the ND State strategy, Chris Klieman is going to have to find some big framed athletes he can bring to Kansas State and mold into dominant trench warriors. His approach may ultimately be a sort of blend between that of Matt Rhule and Matt Campbell, where he wants the big, upside athletes on the lines but then toughness, skill, and versatility at the other positions. It’s early here so we don’t fully know how his approach in Manhattan will differ from the plan in Fargo.

Are there any reports indicating Tyler Johnson may be good enough to be a true Freshman starter, or is this purely Surly speculation? If he is good enough to start at tackle as a freshman, I don't see years of eligibility being an issue. He'll be gone after three.

My speculation was based on knowing what we have at tackle besides Cosmi, and knowing who Tyler Johnson is.

4 hours ago, Sabalo said:

I think Tyler Johnson's redshirt will get pretty hot if he can play some guard. 

It'll be interesting to watch how Herman finesses the 4 game rule as Texas plays more and more meaningful games in the postseason. 

My biggest concern after spring practice is whether Jalen Hurts has shit his pants knowing that OU is replacing most of its OL and Orlando is still our DC.  

My second biggest concern is whether Bookie Radley-Hiles has recovered from being rag dolled by Collin Johnson more than once.

My third biggest concern is whether Bennie Wylie has won any offseason he man posing trophies.   

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

My biggest concern after spring practice is whether Jalen Hurts has shit his pants knowing that OU is replacing most of its OL and Orlando is still our DC.  

My second biggest concern is whether Bookie Radley-Hiles has recovered from being rag dolled by Collin Johnson more than once.

My third biggest concern is whether Bennie Wylie has won any offseason he man posing trophies.   

Do you even RJ Proctor bro? 

Bookie has been doing the Kyler Murray height increasing stretches all offseason. Automatic All Big 12 Preseason, because OU. 

The OU players are so impressed with Bennie's physique, they don't even lift weights. They just watch in amazement as Bennie works out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I must say, you display your optimism in a most unusual fashion.

Edited by SHOOTER12

7 hours ago, Sabalo said:

1st rule of recruiting/offseason: guys that have never played a snap are automatically better than anyone else at their position.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

1st rule of recruiting/offseason: guys that have never played a snap are automatically better than anyone else at their position.

Well I don't know about that, but Denzel Okafor is our current first string RT. The last time we saw Denzel, he was losing a starting battle to Tristan Nickelson. 

7 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Overshown wasn't going to be the starting Joker last year regardless of his health. He was repping at LB because Foster won that job before Overshown even got on campus. 

This year he'll be the joker IF Foster sticks at nickel. That's a big if. 

Foster should stay where he played last year. 

1 minute ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I agree. He had some freshman moments, but he was really good at joker. He's special as a blitzer and I wouldn't want to put him somewhere that takes that off the table. 

Nickel doesn’t take that off the table at all. If Thompson struggles and we can’t find anyone there who can cover well and still man their run assignments, then Foster is probably the best we’ve got (and it helps Overshown see the field). The reality is you’re almost never going to find someone who can play the run and cover guyd like Tywan Wallace in space. I hope Orlando starts asking less of the nickel in coverage. 

Im just not sure how many college DBs could do everything Orlando ask. Derwin James is about the only guy who comes to mind who could handle all of the Nicjek’s assignments in Orlando’s scheme. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

10 concerns from early spring:

1. Biggest Concern - Mac. Not only are they not deep, AA may not be good enough or fast enough. Floyd as a freshman will make mistakes at a critical position where knowledge is critical.

2. Second Biggest Concern - Rover. McCullough isn’t fast enough. Shocked that Overshown turned down the role. Would not be surprised to see Overshown transfer, which would also be shocking.

3. Biggest Dropoff in Concern - WR. We are
loaded with talent, elite talent.

4. The Usual Concern But Slightly Less - Tackle. Okafor at tackle not good. Cosmi really good but slightly undersized at tackle.

5. The New Concern - QB. With Shane and Rising gone, we would be significantly less successful if Sam gets hurt. Pray for his wellness.

7. The Continuing Concern - TE. Had hoped Leitao would have made a move by now. Disappointed.

8. Not Too Concerned - B Backer. Ossai will play at all conference level and we can find a few guys behind him if necessary.

9. Not Too Concerned II - CB. We have enough elite talent that we will be fine.

10. Very Concerned- RB. Whittington helps a lot, but Ingram did not look great late in the season and there’s very little other exciting depth.

tenor.gif?itemid=10233543

14 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

1. Biggest Concern - Mac. Not only are they not deep, AA may not be good enough or fast enough. Floyd as a freshman will make mistakes at a critical position where knowledge is critical.

2. Second Biggest Concern - Rover. McCullough isn’t fast enough. Shocked that Overshown turned down the role. Would not be surprised to see Overshown transfer, which would also be shocking.

4. The Usual Concern But Slightly Less - Tackle. Okafor at tackle not good. Cosmi really good but slightly undersized at tackle.

5. The New Concern - QB. With Shane and Rising gone, we would be significantly less successful if Sam gets hurt. Pray for his wellness.

7. The Continuing Concern - TE. Had hoped Leitao would have made a move by now. Disappointed.

8. Not Too Concerned - B Backer. Ossai will play at all conference level and we can find a few guys behind him if necessary.

10. Very Concerned- RB. Whittington helps a lot, but Ingram did not look great late in the season and there’s very little other exciting depth.

42 minutes ago, satyanash said:

tenor.gif?itemid=10233543

You used the wrong gif satya. I’ll fix it for you.

tenor.gif?itemid=4597222

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

show me a win.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

I had to unfollow Overshown on snap, I’m only a couple years older but the dude is corny as fuck. I imagine the coaches are more fans of guys like Sterns and BJ. 

The fuck does that all mean? And people still use Snapchat? I thought that died ages ago.

Edited by texifornia

3 hours ago, CastHorn said:

What? Snapchat has basically replaced standard messaging. What I mean by corny, it was like following a 16 year old female. 

Well 1 year ago he was fucking a 16 yr old girl so...

he"s from a small town, hope the light comes on soon.

BJ would be a monster a nickel if he wins that job. He and Ossai would be a terror of the edge.

17 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Tech and WVU’s coaches both run tempo. They’re not trying to reduce possessions. Kstate has always played slow. at the pace of really old man in a purple windbreaker.

Not too worried about our offense.  Is the D going to be good with all those holes to fill?*

*No "your mom" jokes, please.  I want solid, well researched opinions based on fact, sprinkled with hope and topped with speculation.

Edited by Bullneck

13 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Not too worried about our offense.  Is the D going to be good with all those holes to fill?*

*No "your mom" jokes, please.  I want solid, well researched opinions based on fact, sprinkled with hope and topped with speculation.

This D was good at filling all your mom's holes last night. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Filling your moms holes won’t be a problem

23 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

I've got solid, well researched opinions on your mom's holes.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Goodman said:

Well 1 year ago he was fucking a 16 yr old girl so...

he"s from a small town, hope the light comes on soon.

BJ would be a monster a nickel if he wins that job. He and Ossai would be a terror of the edge.

Yeah. The upside to Foster playing the nickel is that he’s just as good as almost any college 3-4 OLB at blitzing and playing the run while still being good in coverage. The problem is schools like WVU and OkSt will be able to isolate him against guys like Tylan Wallace and Sills. Orlando is going to have to mix up his coverages and focus on protecting Foster in coverage if he starts at Nickel.

Nickel doesn’t take that off the table at all. If Thompson struggles and we can’t find anyone there who can cover well and still man their run assignments, then Foster is probably the best we’ve got (and it helps Overshown see the field). The reality is you’re almost never going to find someone who can play the run and cover guyd like Tywan Wallace in space. I hope Orlando starts asking less of the nickel in coverage. 
Im just not sure how many college DBs could do everything Orlando ask. Derwin James is about the only guy who comes to mind who could handle all of the Nicjek’s assignments in Orlando’s scheme. 

Would’ve loved to see Kenny Vaccaro in this scheme. Probably the best player for BJ to emulate in ability to cover and provide run support.
  • Like 1

Something something sprinkled on top of your mom something something..

42 minutes ago, Snacks said:
10 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Something something sprinkled on top of your mom something something..

You spelled "sumpin'" wrong.

• Like 1