The University has suspended the Texas Cowboys for 6 years

nivek3

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

If you're concerned with the outcome, then it is a poor analogy for the reason I already laid out. 

If you're concerned with the practices, habits and hazing, then you should advocate for every fraternity at UT to be kicked off campus. Or at least most of them. 

Now you're getting it.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, freyguy said:

Now you're getting it.

That's totally fair if that's your opinion. And I didn't want to come across wrong - they probably should be disassociated. I just think comparing it to the bonfire tragedy is a little heavy. 

I also don't think a 6 year suspension is as innocuous as some of you perceive it, but I'm probably a little biased on the matter in terms of my own experiences and beliefs. 

Back in the 70s, I think, they or the Silver Spurs were accused of using cattle prods on pledges. I found it in Texas Monthly:

But by 1976, frat antics were back. The Phi Delt pledges were found by the police in the back of a U-Haul truck, covered with molasses and cornflakes. The Kappa Sigs were caught forcing their pledges to eat a concoction of raw eggs, jalapenos, Limburger cheese, and cod-liver oil. Members of the Texas Cowboys, an honor organization composed mostly of fraternity men, were caught using cattle prods on initiates. Even the honorary fraternity of the Longhorn band was suspended after burning several freshmen with dry ice in a mock-branding exercise.

The frat denied it. When confronted with a photo, the frat representative looked at it and said, "What cattle prod?" That phrase became short hand for why people hated the frats back then. I'm surprised they made a comeback.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

How is the bonfire tragedy even remotely comparable? Pretty sure if the cowboys killed 12 students and injured another 27 they wouldn't be let back on campus and it wouldn't even be a discussion. 

At least there's some nuance here - whether they deserve to be completely disassociated or not.

12 dying perpetuated the 12th Man myth. Advantage aggy.

The Kappa Sigs were caught forcing their pledges to eat a concoction of raw eggs, jalapenos, Limburger cheese, and cod-liver oil.

YEAH, so fucking what.

We what lived in Jester and ate there laugh at that concoction. Fucking frat wankers complaining about having to eat someting 10,000 times more tasty than Jester swill.
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, MrPhlegm said:

YEAH, so fucking what.

We what lived in Jester and ate there laugh at that concoction. Fucking frat wankers complaining about having to eat someting 10,000 times more tasty than Jester swill.

Who could ever forget it when they rolled out the dreaded Seafood Newberg....(shudder)

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

Back in the 70s, I think, they or the Silver Spurs were accused of using cattle prods on pledges. I found it in Texas Monthly:

The frat denied it. When confronted with a photo, the frat representative looked at it and said, "What cattle prod?" That phrase became short hand for why people hated the frats back then. I'm surprised they made a comeback.

I've got their disciplinary files right here. Who dropped a whole truckload of fizzies into the swim meet? Who delivered the medical school cadavers to the alumni dinner? Every Halloween, the trees are filled with underwear. Every spring, the toilets explode.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I did not understand how UT being almost universally liberal/progressive/inclusive in their policies continued to put elitist and exclusive orgs like Cowboys and Spurs on a pedestal with special privileges, recognition, and notoriety. 

Edited by Murfdogg21

8 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I did not understand how UT being almost universally liberal/progressive/inclusive in their policies continued to put elitist and exclusive orgs like Cowboys and Spurs on a pedestal with special privileges, recognition, and notoriety. 

Not real familiar with the less recent history of our University, are you?  Sweatt v. Painter

I don't think Texas was very progressive until after the 60s.  Probably same for Austin too.

And, other than letting them participate in game days, I don't think they give any special privileges to Spurs or Cowboys.  Frankly, they're a fixture and need to fix themselves so they can keep on in that capacity.

Edited by TwiceHorn

8 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

$$$$$$

10 hours ago, futureman said:

I, like many (most?) of you, have been through lots of hazing whether it was high school football, fraternity pledgeship, college rugby and whatever else.  never once did I ever feel my brown-eye was in danger, and never once did it seem like anyone involved with the hazing would have ever been cool with sticking anything up anyone’s ass.  the fact that it does actually happen is so fucking mind-bottling. 

this on the butt stuff.  that is just ridiculous.  the mental/funny/embarassing/general work stuff was way more fun and likely more effective.  there were some real dumbass actives though.  had to stop more than a few of them from doing stupid shit.  it pretty much all comes back to alcohol.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I was about to say, their alumni probably do more for the University than the University does for the organizations.

I know you're not saying, "so it's OK." (Really, not being sarcastic).   But who gives a shit if they have money or not.

1 hour ago, MrPhlegm said:

YEAH, so fucking what.

I lived on orange dreamsicles my second semester there.  And saigon egg rolls. 

15 minutes ago, Thujone said:

When I was the cartoonist for the Daily Texan back in the 90s I did cartoons about when they killed the Higgins kid. I was threatened with physical violence. Crazy. These fuckers need to not exist.

Berke Breathed and the gATOs.

Also it seems I remember that Cowboys were in charge of the bonfire and they did something around 77 or 78 that put them on probation.  Seems it had to do with some racial slur joke and aggy.  

2 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

I know you're not saying, "so it's OK." (Really, not being sarcastic).   But who gives a shit if they have money or not.

It was a response to the "assertion" in post 115 that the University does much for either organization other than grant them access to the field.  

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

this on the butt stuff.  that is just ridiculous.  the mental/funny/embarassing/general work stuff was way more fun and likely more effective.  there were some real dumbass actives though.  had to stop more than a few of them from doing stupid shit.  it pretty much all comes back to alcohol.

The crazy thing is these kids are wealthy beyond imagination.  The kid who died was the son of the founder of a wealth management group.  They have all the access in the world and they still letting people probe them to join a club?  

I'm just speculating but I bet the hazing got wild because they had some legacy members in their leadership who wanted to do it like their dads used to.  

8 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

The crazy thing is these kids are wealthy beyond imagination.  The kid who died was the son of the founder of a wealth management group.  They have all the access in the world and they still letting people probe them to join a club?  

I'm just speculating but I bet the hazing got wild because they had some legacy members in their leadership who wanted to do it like their dads used to.  

well that and the alcohol. most all fraternities have certain guys that get "tapped" for cowboy or spur.  the "top gun" of frat guys(no, no, no guys, there's 2 O's in Goose).  no perceived "weak" guys so the hazing goes way overboard.  just like any group there are going to be idiots and when you add a shitload of alcohol and some guy's ranch in the middle of nowhere...well there you go.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

You do realize that half of these guys will still be in school in six years and will get to fire that cannon again!

holy shit those dipshits are fucking stupid.  i'm a former Cowboy and went through as a newman the year before Gabe died.  I was not out there when it happened and never did any hazing at all.  never tapped in any other class or any of the other nonsense.  shit is hard enough as it is without all that crap.  the previous posters that said that the frat boys that get off on hazing were the pussy betas are dead on target.  just the lowest pieces of shit on campus.  

I did my share of stupid shit on the 40 acres but it was mostly self inflicted and not lording fake power over others.  anyway, if the Cowboys cannot run a squeaky clean org for the sake of firing the cannon on game days, then fuck them.  let someone else do it.

• Like 8

38 minutes ago, markstanco said:

6 years is a good last chance do over. Everybody will be gone that was associated.

They will be told about the past, and that this is their last chance. The next crew is currently in 7th grade so there is time to think about how to approach it.

Nah more like 10th graders. Probably some seniors in 2025 that will try and get it started back up.

29 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

holy shit those dipshits are fucking stupid.  i'm a former Cowboy and went through as a newman the year before Gabe died.  I was not out there when it happened and never did any hazing at all.  never tapped in any other class or any of the other nonsense.  shit is hard enough as it is without all that crap.  the previous posters that said that the frat boys that get off on hazing were the pussy betas are dead on target.  just the lowest pieces of shit on campus.  

I did my share of stupid shit on the 40 acres but it was mostly self inflicted and not lording fake power over others.  anyway, if the Cowboys cannot run a squeaky clean org for the sake of firing the cannon on game days, then fuck them.  let someone else do it.

Well you are a Cowboy, it's your organization, go assert yourself. Some of the cowboys I knew I bet are still "down with the sickness," but a lot of them aren't.  If it is in fact alumni pressure that keeps bringing it back, which I actually kind of doubt, then people who object to it need to take over the leadership or at least make it known that they object to business as usual. 

That said, it is very difficult to get a bunch of post adolescent males to behave themselves when it comes to partying and apparently hazing. 

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well you are a Cowboy, it's your organization, go assert yourself. Some of the cowboys I knew I bet are still "down with the sickness," but a lot of them aren't.  If it is in fact alumni pressure that keeps bringing it back, which I actually kind of doubt, then people who object to it need to take over the leadership or at least make it known that they object to business as usual. 

That said, it is very difficult to get a bunch of post adolescent males to behave themselves when it comes to partying and apparently hazing. 

i don't know what it would take.  a permanent alumni to keep repeating don't be a fucking dumbass that speaks to the Cowboys once a quarter or something.  I guess all it takes is one student in a marginal position of power to start asserting that hazing is cool and we need to 'bring back the tradition of being mean and putting kids lives in danger' because that's how it was.

I have never so much as set foot at any alumni function for the Cowboys or had anything to do with them after Gabe died.  I don't plan to or want to go and fix their issues. Maybe that's shitty on me, but the org kinda lost me when my friend was killed and I am not that inclined to help out.  pulling 98% of the Cowboys from the greeks did not work.  they either need to shut the greeks out and find another source of students who will not let their members die from organizational hazing our let the EE dept build a robot to fire the cannon.

• Like 3

Very wealth kids with a chip on their shoulder from high school are the biggest culprits of the absurd hazing that results in injuries/death. Kids that were socially awkward in high school join frats, think their shit doesn’t stink after a fuck ton of money separates them from the masses, and then inflict pain and bullshit on younger kids, pledges, etc. 

There were some awesome guys in Cowboys and Spurs, but then there were some individuals who were there because they were wealthy and their fraternity was guaranteed a “slot” or whatever in the next pledge class. 

6 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

i don't know what it would take.  a permanent alumni to keep repeating don't be a fucking dumbass that speaks to the Cowboys once a quarter or something.  I guess all it takes is one student in a marginal position of power to start asserting that hazing is cool and we need to 'bring back the tradition of being mean and putting kids lives in danger' because that's how it was.

I have never so much as set foot at any alumni function for the Cowboys or had anything to do with them after Gabe died.  I don't plan to or want to go and fix their issues. Maybe that's shitty on me, but the org kinda lost me when my friend was killed and I am not that inclined to help out.  pulling 98% of the Cowboys from the greeks did not work.  they either need to shut the greeks out and find another source of students who will not let their members die from organizational hazing our let the EE dept build a robot to fire the cannon.

A robot to fire the cannon would be so untexan but incredibly funny at the same time

Edited by Blanton
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

ME builds robots. Sorry for the loss of your friend but he himself was a fraternity member, no? 

34 minutes ago, Blanton said:

Very wealth kids with a chip on their shoulder from high school are the biggest culprits of the absurd hazing that results in injuries/death. Kids that were socially awkward in high school join frats, think their shit doesn’t stink after a fuck ton of money separates them from the masses, and then inflict pain and bullshit on younger kids, pledges, etc. 

There were some awesome guys in Cowboys and Spurs, but then there were some individuals who were there because they were wealthy and their fraternity was guaranteed a “slot” or whatever in the next pledge class. 

While I think there is merit to the idea that sometimes it is the most insecure that become the worst hazers, I think you have to accept that some people are just sadistic and "off."  These two organizations tend to self select away from the insecure type that cause problems in frats, including and especially those fraternities with designated spots, they are only putting their big studs or best guys forward as a rule. . But I suppose hierarchies form in elite organizations too. Someone has to be the worm in every group. 

Cowboys probably need to take a hard look at whatever the spurs are doing inasmuch as the very similar org has almost entirely avoided the same problems. 

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

I’m not a frat guy. I’m not a hazing guy in general.

I’ve got a code, if you will.

I have nothing to do with another mans butthole, and other men have nothing to do with mine.

That code has served me well for 5 decades.

User name doesn’t check out

7 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

The mention of Sigma Nu in this article and the dragging around by the testicles is what got Jon Hamm expelled from UT long before becoming Don Draper.

This hazing talk is entertaining and all. And certainly  an issue that needs to be directly addressed and rid of. 

That said, did either the driver who fell asleep or the kid who wasn’t wearing his seatbelt on the drive home get charge with anything? Or is this part not relevant compared to the hampster head?

Edited by Enfield

6 hours ago, Blanton said:

Have you heard of the insane hazing that goes on at HBCU bands? Wealth (and even fraternities per se) ain't got nothing to do with it. It's any poorly overseen social group that feels the need to create an in-group and an out-group.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/recounting-the-deadly-hazing-that-destroyed-famu-bands-reputation/1260765

Nothing manlier than animal cruelty and forcing a human to debase themselves for amusement purposes.

Permaban the Cowboys and let a combination of McConaughey/Texas POM/former UT greats shoot the cannon.  Or some of the sick kids from Dells Children’s or something.  

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Nothing manlier than animal cruelty and forcing a human to debase themselves for amusement purposes.

Permaban the Cowboys and let a combination of McConaughey/Texas POM/former UT greats shoot the cannon.  Or some of the sick kids from Dells Children’s or something.  

I like this idea, but unfortunately Bellmont will take it too far. "And today's Taco Cabana Celebrity Cannon Shooter sponsored by Samsung is  comedian and TV personality John Mulaney. John has a new stand-up special on Netflix coming out October 3rd. Be sure to check out John Mulaney, live and unfiltered, only on Netflix."

Edited by HornOnTheBayou
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2