HISD principal sets dress code - for parents

Beau Vine

A Houston Independent School District high school has a new dress code. But it’s not for students, who already have a school uniform. It’s for their parents.

James Madison High School will turn away parents if they show up at the school wearing bonnets, pajamas, hair rollers or leggings, among other clothing items, according to a memo signed by the school’s new principal, Carlotta Outley Brown. The new parent dress code is posted on the front page of the school’s website.

“Parents, we do value you as a partner in your child’s education,” Outley Brown, herself a graduate of Madison High School, said in the memo. “However, please know we have to have standards, most of all we must have high standards.”

While some said the guidelines were necessary to maintain a dignified atmosphere, others have taken issue, saying the rules codify deeper issues tied to class, gender and race.

“I’m almost insulted,” said Tomiko Miller, the mother of a Madison High School student. “I really think it was discriminatory, the language that was used. It was demeaning. And I’m African American — and if it’s misty outside and I have a hair bonnet on, I don’t see how that’s anyone’s business.”

Zeph Capo, president of the Houston Federation of Teachers, called codes relating to women’s hair “classist,” “belittling” and “dismissive.”

“I’m sorry — this principal may have plenty of money and time to go to the hairdresser weekly and have her stuff done,” he said. “Who are you to judge others who may not have the same opportunities that you do? Having a wrap on your head is not offensive. It should not be controversial.”

HISD administrators declined to comment on the mandate, and Outley Brown did not respond to a call seeking comment. District policy allows each school to establish standards for student attire and personal grooming, but no policy addresses the appearance of parents.

The parent dress code was issued the day after KPRC-TV (Channel 2) reported a parent attempting to enroll her daughter at Madison High School had been turned away because of how she was dressed. The mother, who was wearing a T-shirt dress and headscarf, said the school called police to remove her from the property when she demanded to see the parent dress code she had supposedly broken. Outley Brown’s memo detailing a parent dress code is dated the next day.

3 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

These are not the same women found shopping at Whole Foods in downtown Austin.

I assure you, Yoga Pants are not always a positive.

Well; okay then only Vic will riot.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It shouldn't be too much to ask any visitor, parent, employee and student to dress at a certain level.  Schools can't force parents to set a good example at home but they can require it on school grounds.  I would assume that the principal understands that not every parent works at a bank, so its doubtful that business professional attire is the expectation.

Most likely the communication of this policy was close to non-existent so you're going to get upset parents. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

The only question would be the head wrap.  Like a woman who doesn't have time to do her hair all nice and just throws on a bandana/wrap to drop off her kids.  Now show caps/pajamas/rollers, absolutely agree with her.

25 minutes ago, Drew said:

The only question would be the head wrap.  Like a woman who doesn't have time to do her hair all nice and just throws on a bandana/wrap to drop off her kids.

I think this may be how the courts strike down the policy, it discriminates against Jheri Curl wearers.

@Soul Glo

Edited by clapclapclap

Oh for sure...but I'm sure there will be someone saying they're going after a certain race that usually wears do rags/show caps around.  All the ones that come in my office to pay their car note or to get insurance that dress like that are usually of one kind of people.