Voter Suppression

Pancho

53 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

"they changed a couple major things and didn't change one other major things so i'm going to mention the one major thing they didn't change and not address the two major things they did change"

that'd still be a problem for a 2nd year tech intern. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

Ratcliffe is making a play to run things if Trump wins.  He's out if he loses and probably under investigation since he's a shill.  Also, if I'm looking for a leak, I start with this asshat.

Edited by Mdhorn

9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Kavanaugh is a complete idiot, a Trump level idiot 

It is known. We saw it during his confirmation hearing. He's a lying, crying, whiny little bitch who isn't qualified to serve as a justice of the Supreme Court. He perfectly represents all things Trump. 

• Hook 'Em 3

LAS CRUCES — All four Republican poll challengers were removed Friday from the Doña Ana County Bureau of Elections Warehouse, where absentee ballots are tabulated, for causing a disruption and refusing to follow election code rules for party-appointed challengers.

Chief Deputy Clerk Lindsey Bachman, who's overseeing the election this year, told the Sun-News the challengers' actions were so disruptive it caused the temporary suspension of ballot tabulation Oct. 30. Election officials began the tabulation process Thursday.

The party is able to appoint new challengers, Bachman said. Two will be allowed to return, she said, and one new challenger has already been placed at the warehouse.

"We have repeatedly clarified what challengers have access to and provided that in accordance with law at all our voting locations and at the absent voter precinct board," Bachman said. "What challengers and watchers can't do is intimidate or disturb activity that's taking place in regards to voting."

MORE:The 2020 race: Your election integrity questions answered

By law, a political party can appoint challengers to be present during ballot qualification and tabulation in front of the absent voter precinct board. The state election code lays out what challengers can and can't do.

Challengers can dispute the veracity of absentee ballots for a number of reasons, such as a ballot envelope missing required voter information. This election cycle, that's a voter's signature and the last four digits of their Social Security number.

If a ballot is challenged, it can be disqualified by a unanimous vote of the three election judges on the board.

New Mexico State Police respond to the Doña Ana County Bureau of Electioins Warehouse on Friday, Oct. 30, 2020.

Challengers, for instance, are not allowed to handle ballots and signature rosters or view voter's private information — birth dates and Social Security numbers.

Bachman said on Friday, a Republican-appointed challenger had insinuated to the Republican presiding judge at the warehouse they would not be following the instructions she'd laid out. According to Bachman, the presiding judge needed challengers to stand a few feet back from the voting machine as she tabulated, in keeping with pandemic precautions, but they did not want to.

The issue caused ballot tabulation to halt and escalated into an argument. Bachman said she was called to the warehouse to resolve it.

Bachman said all four Republican challengers present at the precinct were removed "due to the fact that the behavior was disrupting the tabulation of absentee ballots."

According to state election law, it's prohibited for challengers to "interfere with the orderly conduct of the election, the counting or tallying of the ballots or the county canvass."

MORE:How absentee voting works in Doña Ana County, and what to know to ensure your vote counts

Bachman said tabulation has since resumed, and New Mexico State Police are posted at the warehouse for the remainder of the election.

The county Republican Party chairman, David Tofsted, is the official responsible for appointing challengers in the county.

Tofsted wasn't immediately available for comment.

The incident comes days after the New Mexico Supreme Court denied a Republican writ petition to allow poll challengers and watchers to be present during initial absentee ballot processing and to overturn a rule in the election code prohibiting them from viewing voters’ Social Security numbers to verify them on ballot envelopes.

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

If the Republicans pull this off, they are going to pay for it in 2022.  This is the kind of shit that will speed things up for this state turning blue.  

Hell, this may even motivate a bunch of people who hadn't planned on voting to get out and vote Tuesday.

With Catdaddy's video and this, it only crystalizes the narrative that they hate minorities and minority voters and they think they can get away with anything because they have.    They hate America and they hate that people vote.   They are a cult, and they need to be treated as terrorists and exiled.  

• Hook 'Em 2

If the Republicans pull this off, they are going to pay for it in 2022.  This is the kind of shit that will speed things up for this state turning blue.  
Hell, this may even motivate a bunch of people who hadn't planned on voting to get out and vote Tuesday.

They won’t pay for shit if they pull it off because they’ll set the rules so much in their favor going forward, no other party will ever have a chance to win.

All this voting fuckery has radicalized me. I’ve always been a solid D voter and that wasn’t gonna change, but I’d sometimes cross the aisle for a chill R in a not-very-partisan job (Ed Emmett) or just stay home if the election seemed like small potatoes. No more. I’m going to show up for every single election for the rest of my life and go straight D. I don’t give a fuck if I have to burn a vacation day to go vote for 2nd Assistant Dogcatcher, I’m there.

At this point, either you’re for a functioning democracy, or you’re not. Those are the two factions in American politics from now on. Every Republican is complicit in this banana republic bullshit. Every. Single. One.

Trump’s lackeys are already all over the place saying that Democrats are going to “steal the election” after November 3 by, you know, the nefarious method of actually counting all the fucking votes.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

If they pull some of this off, they will get to redistrict so that 2022 is again tilted to them.  

3 hours ago, tokamak said:

Federal hearing on Harris County drive-thru voting happening at this hour. Of course, reporters were all dropped from the conference call and aren't being let in in-person, so no one knows what's being said.

These reporters were so polite. Tweeting about not being able to have access. Just copy the GOP playbook from the Florida recount in the election offices:

The Rigged 2000 Florida Recount and the Path to Trump

Sadly, the reporters would probably have been arrested unlike the Bush team, but just goes to show you: when you want law and order and transparency, it depends upon who you are doesn't it?

Hotze et al have appealed today’s earlier ruling regarding Harris Country drive thru voting to the 5th Circuit. Asking for a ruling tonight to stop drive thru voting tomorrow. Dunno if they’ll get it or not.

Lots of uninformed analysis out there on Twitter right now. I’m not a lawyer either. My very limited understanding is that the district court judge earlier today felt that there’s a difference in the way the law is written regarding early voting versus election day. He said he’s not going to throw out any votes already cast but hinted that he might have stopped drive thru voting tomorrow if the plaintiffs had standing (which he ruled they didn’t). Might be drawing up a blueprint for the (notoriously conservative) 5th Circuit tonight.

This guy seems like the key Twitter follow right now: https://twitter.com/rmfifthcircuit

• Hook 'Em 1

they dropped the request to throw out drive thru early votes

https://twitter.com/RMFifthCircuit/status/1323468732648357890?s=20

That’s pretty damned significant. They are seeking prospective relief as to votes not yet cast only.

Now, the utterly awful Fifth Circuit might well agree, because that court rarely passes up the opportunity to make a dick move. But it will just make voting more inconvenient.
  • Hook 'Em 1

NEW into @VICENews tonight: Harris County clerk Chris Hollins tells me that he is closing 9 out of the 10 drive-in voting locations in the county tomorrow in order to protect votes after Republicans continue to appeal. The Toyota Center drive-through WILL remain open

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

NEW into @VICENews tonight: Harris County clerk Chris Hollins tells me that he is closing 9 out of the 10 drive-in voting locations in the county tomorrow in order to protect votes after Republicans continue to appeal. The Toyota Center drive-through WILL remain open

should be allowed to drive onto the floor of the astrodome to vote, not like it's being used for anything.  reliant stadium too. plant JJ out front "Your last chance to see JJ Watt in a Texans Uniform!"

Edited by elfenix

Hotze et al planning to file for en banc rehearing at Fifth Circuit. Are they fishing for a dissent so they can take it up to SCOTUS? Is that how it works?

They already got what they wanted on drive-thru voting today. They're really worried about those 127k votes.

Makes me feel a little bit better that every prominent Republican in the state has disavowed this bald-faced effort at vote suppression. Oh wait no they fucking haven't.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, tokamak said:

Hotze et al planning to file for en banc rehearing at Fifth Circuit. Are they fishing for a dissent so they can take it up to SCOTUS? Is that how it works?

They already got what they wanted on drive-thru voting today. They're really worried about those 127k votes.

Makes me feel a little bit better that every prominent Republican in the state has disavowed this bald-faced effort at vote suppression. Oh wait no they fucking haven't.

posrep for use of bald-faced

2 minutes ago, tokamak said:

that can't be right. he didn't appeal the already-cast part, and the clerk mooted the day-of part by pulling them down.