Art Briles: New Head Coach of Mount Vernon High School in Texas

Landomatic

1 minute ago, Spudnut said:

Tossing stones!! Get your tossing stones, here!! Tossing stones!! Nice, fat, round ones guaranteed to cause real damage!!

Oh, and we also have some "I'm fucking perfect" trucker hats for you redneck assholes!!

Hats and stones!! Three for a dollar! 

How many women have you raped, sport?

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Spudnut said:

Tossing stones!! Get your tossing stones, here!! Tossing stones!! Nice, fat, round ones guaranteed to cause real damage!!

Oh, and we also have some "I'm fucking perfect" trucker hats for you redneck assholes!!

He's a POS human being.  STFU, dumbass.

2 hours ago, Spudnut said:

I am reminded by a Bible passage I learned in my youth: "Ye who is without sin cast the first stone.".

My pastor counters this kind of eye-rolling silliness with, "Nowhere in the Bible does it say 'Be ye stupid.'"

Be ye not fucking stupid, you shithead obtuse troll.

Edited by Damor
PS: Congrats on earning the first negging I've ever done.

I think we can all agree that Baylor cost themselves a lot of respect as an institution, as a Christian institution and as a program. 
Their desire to win overshadowed any character and moral decency they had. They really FUCKED IT UP THE ASS!
Art Briles is a good coach, but along the way lost vision. And so did the Baylor administration. 
But, Art is a human. Art has wife and family, too. Can any of us say that had we been in Art's place that we never deserved to work again. Never deserved to provide for our family again. Never deserved to learn a lesson and strive to be a better person again?
I am reminded by a Bible passage I learned in my youth: "Ye who is without sin cast the first stone.".
Art Briles has cetainly been served a large, homemade slice of humble pie and he's wearing a lot of it on his high school coaching tshirt. 
He has taken some well deserved punches in the face and head that knocked him down, but not out and he's trying to get up to face more if he has to. 
Let him up
It sounds like you accept that Briles made mistakes. He still thinks he didn't do anything wrong which is why no one is ready to even consider forgiveness.
  • Like 5

The problem with your little road to redemption story is that at some point, even if you feel remorse, there are still consequences for your actions.

The logical choice here is that a consequence of his actions at Baylor should be never leading a team of young men again. That doesn't mean he can't go be an analyst in the NFL or have any other variety of football related jobs, just not being a captain and leader for a team as he's been in the past.

That's probably not an ideal outcome for Art, but getting raped probably wasn't an ideal outcome for all of those women his players raped under his watch so I can't say I feel too bad if that's the price he has to pay for his lack of oversight (at best, complicity at worst).

Then again, roads to redemption always start with owning your mistakes and accepting accountability for them, something Art has never once shown a willingness to do. Until he does that, the guy can die alone in a gutter somewhere for all I care. He fucked up a bunch of lives with his mistakes all in the name of winning some football games for Baylor, and we're supposed to say "give him another shot to be better" while he continues his denial?

Both you and Art can go fuck your own faces with that logic.
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Spudnut said:

I think we can all agree that Baylor cost themselves a lot of respect as an institution, as a Christian institution and as a program. 

Their desire to win overshadowed any character and moral decency they had. They really FUCKED IT UP THE ASS!

Art Briles is a good coach, but along the way lost vision. And so did the Baylor administration. 

But, Art is a human. Art has wife and family, too. Can any of us say that had we been in Art's place that we never deserved to work again. Never deserved to provide for our family again. Never deserved to learn a lesson and strive to be a better person again?

Art Briles has cetainly been served a large, homemade slice of humble pie and he's wearing a lot of it on his high school coaching tshirt. 

He has taken some well deserved punches in the face and head that knocked him down, but not out and he's trying to get up to face more if he has to. 

Let him up

The problem is that Art has never really had to face the consequences of his actions.  Being fired from a million dollar job is not the same as serving 10 years of hard time in Huntsville.

Sometimes firing a coach who has lost institutional control is itself the correct punishment.  In the case of Baylor, like Pedo State, the issues move beyond NCAA violations, like paying players, into criminal acts like rape, AND covering up said criminal acts.  

4 hours ago, JMFP said:
6 hours ago, Spudnut said:
Let him up

Read more  

It sounds like you accept that Briles made mistakes. He still thinks he didn't do anything wrong which is why no one is ready to even consider forgiveness.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2019 at 11:11 PM, 0xdeadbeef said:

The problem is, he's a really good football coach; so he's going to have success.    A lot of good-ole-boy High School (and maybe smaller college) ADs probably wanted to take a chance on Art, but didn't have the balls to be the first.  Now that the first team let him back in he door, I think a lot more teams will give him a look.   If you ignore his dark-black-evil past and just look at his coaching skills, he's an upper level P5 coach.  What school wouldn't want that. 

The problem is he is a rape enabler not that he is a good football coach. The schools that value morals don't want that.

2 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

So, wtf is a small-town east Texas high school coach doing at the Texans' practice?

There is no doubt that he still has high aspirations.  F anybody who hires him.

That video from the twitter link was from years ago, right after the baylor thing happened. He spent a couple weeks at Texans camp talkin' shop and trying to drum up interest in himself. It's not recent. But that doesn't change your point, which I agree with: Ole Art's aspirations are as high as people will let him climb. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

That video from the twitter link was from years ago, right after the baylor thing happened. He spent a couple weeks at Texans camp talkin' shop and trying to drum up interest in himself. It's not recent. But that doesn't change your point, which I agree with: Ole Art's aspirations are as high as people will let him climb. 

Ah.  Ok.  

tenor.gif?itemid=12458637

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Xian said:

How was mt Vernon before he arrived?  Shitty? good? decent? 

Looked it up they went 9-6 last year and most games were close, so these blowouts are certainly not the norm. Putting aside the container ship of baggage, Art is certainly making a difference (or has a good ped hookup)

26 minutes ago, Boogaloo said:

Looked it up they went 9-6 last year and most games were close, so these blowouts are certainly not the norm. Putting aside the container ship of baggage, Art is certainly making a difference (or has a good ped hookup)

If you go 9-6 in Texas, then you made one hell of a playoff run after going 5-5 in the regular season( maybe very young team or critical injuries.)  Then they went on to State Semifinals, 5 rounds deep in the playoffs( there are 6 total.)

My DCTF says they went 8-4, 4-2 in District play.  They won Bi-district and then lost in the  Area Round.  Not shabby.  Not great.

Edited by Iceman

55 minutes ago, Iceman said:

If you go 9-6 in Texas, then you made one hell of a playoff run after going 5-5 in the regular season( maybe very young team or critical injuries.)  Then they went on to State Semifinals, 5 rounds deep in the playoffs( there are 6 total.)

My DCTF says they went 8-4, 4-2 in District play.  They won Bi-district and then lost in the  Area Round.  Not shabby.  Not great.

Fuck'em.

• Like 1

We’re not perfect. But we didn’t cover up rape either.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2019 at 8:10 AM, Xian said:

How was mt Vernon before he arrived?  Shitty? good? decent? 

I cover HS football in east Texas and I can tell you this, Mount Vernon has been able to compete long before Briles was hired. They’re always predicted to make the playoffs, and usually finish with 8 wins. Hiring Briles was just a publicity stunt to put them on the map. 

54 minutes ago, Fuck Tim Beck said:

Meanwhile, KWTX in Waco can't stay off Art's jock. This week's story is about how it's been a homecoming for Art's supporters from baylor.

They actually interviewed a former AD and boosters who are giddy like school girls. Not linking because fuck kwtx. And fuck art, and fuck baylor. 

Fuck every one of these fucking idiots  John Eddie Williams looks like a child molester.

MT. VERNON, Texas (KWTX) Football coach Art Briles is no stranger to winning, and on Friday he had a complete shutout against Canton, 57-0, with his new team, the Mt. Vernon Tigers.

Art+Briles+Ken+Starr+John+Eddie+Williams
John Eddie Williams (left) Art Briles (center) Ken Starr (right). (Photo courtesy of Alice Starr)

Although the high school football coach remains undefeated in his new post, perhaps the bigger story was who was in the stands for Briles' biggest MV win yet.

"He's in his element, he's back home," said Ken Starr, former President of Baylor University.

Starr was one of the two or three dozen people from Baylor in the crowd of 3,000 who came to support their former coach.

“Art is a man who only loves football, faith, and family--I’m not sure which order though," said John Eddie Williams, President of Bears for Leadership Reform.

Williams, the namesake of Baylor's football field at McLane Stadium, traveled to Mt. Vernon from Dallas for the homecoming football game.

He says it was a homecoming for Briles, too.

"It's a Renaissance, and it's interesting, somebody pointed out, that he'd been coaching in Florence where the Renaissance started, and it's been a rebirth for him, I think it's the start of a new journey for him," said Williams.

Other Baylor 'big wigs' who came to see Briles' first home game for Mt. Vernon included former regents and athletic directors.

"Some people get treated fairly and some people get treated unfairly," said Tom Stanton, former athletic director at Baylor from 1995-2003. " Art was one of those that still should have a great opportunity in football at very many levels, and this is a great first step for him to start a phenomenal comeback."

Briles was fired by Baylor in 2016 amid the school's rape scandal that university leadership heavily blamed on the football program following the findings of Pepper Hamilton, a Philadelphia-based law firm Baylor hired to conduct an investigation about the school's mishandling of sexual assault reports.

As more information has been released over the last three years surrounding the scandal, many people, especially in the Waco community, feel Briles, and others like longtime athletics employee Tom Hill, were scapegoats in a university-wide cover up.

"We're excited for him, and this is his new step, and hope each one of us can begin each of our new steps and our new stories," said Hill.

Along with Briles and Hill, Starr was fired as President amid the scandal.

"I knew that justice would win out, remember--Coach Briles left Baylor under unhappy circumstances but he was not fired for cause, and his contract was honored," Starr told KWTX. "We don't want to revisit all that, re-litigate all that, but I think the more that we know about Coach Art Briles, the more we know he's an honorable man."

Briles' character has been put under the microscope since the scandal broke in May of 2016; the former Big 12 Football Coach of the Year couldn't get a job coaching anywhere in the U.S., let alone at the collegiate level, until May of 2019 when Mt. Vernon ISD offered him a job as head football coach and athletic director of the high school in the small, northeast Texas town.

"It's high school football but it doesn't make any difference, it's still fun to see," said Walker Harman, a member of the Baylor Board of Regents from 1996-2005. "The man's gone through pure hell in his life, to have small town people love him and support him in high school football...it's not the Big 12 and it's not the big championship game, it's just good 'ole high school football."

With a Yahoo Sports article heading saying Mt. Vernon had 'sold it's soul,' the school district has faced much criticism for the decision to hire Briles, however, district officials have defended their decision to give the man a second chance, and now others are defending the district.

"They did the right thing and they had the courage to do the right thing, and I'm so proud of them," Starr said of the school board. "You see the community rallying around him, he's part of the community now, and that's who Coach Briles is, he's a very good man."

Not everyone agrees.

According to Mt. Vernon ISD Police Chief Max Cannaday, there have been reports of vandals putting stickers up around town (in a restaurant bathroom and on fruit and aisles of a grocery store) that read "Art Briles Protects Rapists."

The vandals are on camera but have yet to be caught; Cannaday believes they're outsiders not from Mt. Vernon.

While Bonham ISD hired extra officers for Briles' season opener there in late August, which MV won 44-16, Cannaday says he didn't hire an extra officers for the homecoming.

However, there were a lot of law enforcement officers there on their own accord to watch the game.

"Coach has to feel great to have this many people to support him both locally but from Baylor and from Waco and all of that, it's gotta feel good, a homecoming for him as well as the team," said Hill.

Baylor University officials declined to comment on the support Briles is seeing, shifting the focus to their current coach and team.

"Baylor declines to comment and stresses that the University is behind Coach Matt Rhule and the Bears' prospects for the 2019 football season," a spokesperson said in an email.

Briles told KWTX he's grateful for the Baylor supporters who have stuck with him and who came to see him in his new coaching role.

"I feel extremely blessed because I've got some people that are true, and they're loyal, and they know who I am and I know who they are, so it's encouraging for them to take time out and come be a part of this," said Briles.

He was a little nervous, he admitted, and felt extra pressure with them being there, however, it paid off.

"It's added pressure but it's also added humbleness, so I get a chance to experience something like this with these great kids and great friends and it's very humbling," said Briles.