impeachment inquiry hearings thread

henrygandorf

What does food have to do with Louisiana being a net negative on the country?  I had some awesome breakfast tacos this morning. Last I checked, I am able to enjoy Mexican food without Mexico being a US state. Might have Japanese food for lunch too. 
It would take less than a year for an independent Louisiana to be the worst place to live in the Western Hemisphere. Drinking water would go to shit almost instantly. New Orleans would go permanently underwater. Federal welfare payments would be gone. The job market there already sucks. You could leverage the LOOP probably, but I'm sure all that money would go to a single person who you would name as your new president.  Gangs and militias would pretty much take over entirely. 
Even MS would have a better shot as an independent country than LA. 

I’m catching up and am not sure the context of this but breakfast tacos do not come to us by way of Mexico
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've been saying this for at least a couple of decades.  I routinely find myself teaching my teenagers very basic facts about American history and government structure.  Believe me, I am no wonk -- there are dozens if not hundreds of people on this board who could school me on a civics test -- but for pity's sake, we learned the basics starting in about 3rd grade.  (Not 1776, Paul Revere, "we had a civil war" basics, but things like the House, the Senate, Separation of Powers, the Electoral College, Bill of Rights, etc.)

My kids aren't stupid, they're ignorant, because they haven't been taught.  They actually find a lot of this process interesting.  They didn't know why there are 100 Senators but 435 Representatives.  They didn't know the chain of succession (past VP).  They didn't know "impeached" doesn't mean "removed".  They.  Were.  Never.  Taught.  It's shocking.  I would think it would be mandatory, but apparently not.

They were taught this, unless they're going to private school.

17 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

You think the United States of America is going to allow a state or states to secede without resorting to violence?

Of course they aren't.  We have precedent.

Besides, it's not even close to a practical solution.  How would the red secede from the blue, even if you just went state by state?  (Yes, I realize land doesn't vote.  It's still an instructive image.)

Image result for popular vote trump map

29 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Besides, it's not even close to a practical solution.  How would the red secede from the blue, even if you just went state by state?  (Yes, I realize land doesn't vote.  It's still an instructive image.)

Oklahoma and West Virginia as the only true red states. But of course.

• Like 1

lulz that the same moron who implied he learned that circumstantial evidence normally isn't allowed in a court of law in his high school civics class is lecturing others that it should be taught "correctly" to others.

I can't decide if it would be better if he's a troll or just genuinely as stupid as he seems.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The judges also would have accepted “economic engines surrounded by drags on the economy.” For accuracy’s sake.

when you lose the popular vote by millions and are positioned to lose by even more next fall, you start to get creative with visual presentations.

You think the United States of America is going to allow a state or states to secede without resorting to violence?

It’s pretty telling that you assume the federal overlords would resort to violence, it makes one wonder why we look to them for all the answers to all of our problems economically, foreign and domestic.

My answer is I’d hope not but most likely would be no.
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wtf are you talking about?

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yes, "correct" civics includes details like "the United States is a Christian nation", etc.  You know, the stuff everyone agrees on.

Do you honestly think none of the numbskulls that are posting that Trump has been removed from office haven't been taught civics?  It was required in my podunk high school that had an enrollment of 120 students at the time.  Most of these people have been in civics classes.  They may have been asleep, too busy passing kissy kissy notes to the girl in the sweater with the big tits three chairs away from them, or watching the second hand of the clock spin around but they were there.  They either weren't taught the basics or they weren't taught them in a way that kept the knowledge retained in their brains.  That's on the teachers.

• Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yes, "correct" civics includes details like "the United States is a Christian nation", etc.  You know, the stuff everyone agrees on.

Oh yeah, you got me, the guy who hasn't set foot in a church other than for a wedding or a funeral since approximately 1983 is a raging Christian fundamentalist.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

Wtf are you talking about?

Let's try again:  what states would secede, and what would the new map of the remaining United States look like?  You know, on the off chance Swindle is right and the US would say "OK, cool, Hook'em, see ya later".

36 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Do you honestly think none of the numbskulls that are posting that Trump has been removed from office haven't been taught civics?  It was required in my podunk high school that had an enrollment of 120 students at the time.  Most of these people have been in civics classes.  They may have been asleep, too busy passing kissy kissy notes to the girl in the sweater with the big tits three chairs away from them, or watching the second hand of the clock spin around but they were there.  They either weren't taught the basics or they weren't taught them in a way that kept the knowledge retained in their brains.  That's on the teachers.

What did they teach about circumstantial evidence? Or were you too busy passing kissy kissy notes

The minimum requirement for Texas high school graduation is one year of American history, from 1877 to present (hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm) and one semester of American government.

As I recall, we alternated years in middle school social studies from American to world history type things before high school and there was a goodly bit of civics thrown in there, along with a semester of Texas history in 7th grade I believe.

Does UT still require six hours of American history and six of government?

27 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Let's try again:  what states would secede, and what would the new map of the remaining United States look like?  You know, on the off chance Swindle is right and the US would say "OK, cool, Hook'em, see ya later".

Have you seen congressional district maps?  Like that.

14 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Someone explain this to me

A map of the US with the geographic size of counties given equal weight to their populations. The shading of red to blue should be obvious.

The point being that the typical graphic representation of the US showing small, isolated blue "islands" minimizes the weight those intensely populated urban areas carry when it comes to accurately displaying the sheer number of votes.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bolverk said:

A map of the US with the geographic size of counties given equal weight to their populations. The shading of red to blue should be obvious.

The point being that the typical graphic representation of the US showing small, isolated blue "islands" minimizes the weight those intensely populated urban areas carry when it comes to accurately displaying the sheer number of votes.

I got this gist but wasn’t sure why it was sized that way. Thank you for clarifying