The Supremes

tx 3 putt

44 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Kavanaugh. If there's a squish, it's him. 

I would actually think it’d wind up being Barrett, but again that’s a long shot either way.

Of course if the Democrats had any balls, they would barge into Clarence Thomas’ office and say “change your vote or else Ginni will be receiving an all expenses paid trip to Guantanamo, Cuba.”

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, hpslugga said:

I would actually think it’d wind up being Barrett, but again that’s a long shot either way.

Of course if the Democrats had any balls, they would barge into Clarence Thomas’ office and say “change your vote or else Ginni will be receiving an all expenses paid trip to Guantanamo, Cuba.”

Barrett? Isn't she one of the dominionists? They seem rather theocracy leaning in the best of times. This isn't the best of times. This is worse than that. Much worse. Fascist leadership always espouses the family in theory, but will starve the peasants without a second thought.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, hpslugga said:

Naw, Kav cares about people outside of the most conservative social circles liking him and has no deep ideological beliefs of his own. Barrett, on the other hand, has been deeply committed for her entire life to the cause of ending legal abortion and I don't think she cares about anyone outside of her church liking her.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Barrett? Isn't she one of the dominionists? They seem rather theocracy minded in the best of times. This isn't the best of times.

I mean technically they all tend to be of that persuasion. I was just going for the female angle, which I admit is a pretty big stretch.

5 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Fuck off - you’re not funny or witty. At all.

Also, glad one member of Democratic leadership can still find his balls.

My mom disagrees. 

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

Wow then you are a genuine fucking idiot that genuinely cannot build a logically consistent argument. You're moving goalposts and calling us hysterical and hyperbolic because of SOMETHING THAT HAS ALREADY FUCKING HAPPENED. The fact that you started your argument with "well women shouldn't be jailed for abortions" and are now trying to thread the needle on saying "no no those women were jailed for miscarriages! Winky face!" Is why youre getting shit on.

There's nothing fucking genuine about that aside from you being a genuine fucking liar

Oh please, you posted an article about a case where there’s zero details and acted like you’ve found the Dead Sea scrolls. You told me to google because you ain’t got shit. C’mon, come clean already. 

• Fuck You 13

5 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Oh please, you posted an article about a case where there’s zero details and acted like you’ve found the Dead Sea scrolls. You told me to google because you ain’t got shit. C’mon, come clean already. 

There's not much detail because the victim has privacy rights and the state neglected to actually publish any charging documents since the charges were dropped. The lack of evidence is the point.

She was arrested and processed into a jail mere hours after a miscarriage.

All based on an allegation, and even with a specific carve out in the state law that specifically prohibited what the state did to her.

Wanting to jail women based on mere allegations is a step away from witch burning. Recognize that.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 2

10 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

My mom disagrees. 

serious question: do you still live at home?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

7 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Naw, Kav cares about people outside of the most conservative social circles liking him and has no deep ideological beliefs of his own. Barrett, on the other hand, has been deeply committed for her entire life to the cause of ending legal abortion and I don't think she cares about anyone outside of her church liking her.

Other than his Catholicism?

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

There's not much detail because the victim has privacy rights and the state neglected to actually publish any charging documents since the charges were dropped. The lack of evidence is the point.

She was arrested and processed into a jail mere hours after a miscarriage.

All based on an allegation, and even with a specific carve out in the state law that specifically prohibited what the state did to her.

Wanting to jail women based on mere allegations is a step away from witch burning. Recognize that.

I’ll have to take your word for it, I can’t find the details as to what she did. 

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

serious question: do you still live at home?

I prefer to view it as a roommate situation. 

2 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

Again, it wasn’t an abortion as Brisket claimed. He was lying. 

Negged for lying about somebody else who's actually making sense. You can't argue the point, so you refuse to acknowledge it. I'll neg any following post you make in this same vein.

I also think your argument that we shouldn't worry about punishing laws passed by a legislative body because you are certain in your disingenuous heart that the courts will overturn those laws is maybe the most absurd thing I've ever seen written by someone using complete sentences.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Covri said:

About that, republicans really do see themselves as victims:

”The vast majority of Democrats, 74%, said that either Black people (43%) or transgender people (31%) face the most discrimination in America today, while among Republicans, 65% said that either white people (34%) or Christians (31%) face the most discrimination.”

https://texaspolitics.utexas.edu/blog/new-uttexas-politics-project-poll-texans’-attitudes-population-growth-and-state’s-future-take#COVID-19

Thanks for posting that.

It's all part of self-justification in the name of defending family, God, and country. They listen for decades about how the libs (always represented by the most horrifying or racist of anecdotes) are trying to ruin America with their ebil hidden agendas. Decades. 

What means would you lay aside in defending any or all of that sacred threesome? What kind of an animal would you transform yourself into to crush a threat to any or all of those three? You're not a fellow citizen; you're a cornered combatant!

The complaints about the Dems messaging sound more and more misplaced to me. The Dems are a political party looking for political means to defeat what they still imagine is the political opposition. If you're criticizing the Dems because you would use a different political strategy, then you are similarly deluded about whom your opposition is.

In a political contest, catching someone in a blatant lie or making a racist remark is devastating.

In a war, blatant lying and hatred of the enemy are, respectively, a tactic and a justification.

This was a largely cold war until this moment when women become chattel of the state. The open war on voting and elections will go from cold to hot when massive disenfrancisement inflames the black people being excluded (yet again).

It really all comes down to the white man problem. When the debate was going on at UT about the petition for changes put forth by black students, I had something of a revelation. I fell in line with all the other white people in deciding just how generous we should be in answering the petition. "Give them everything they name."

The revelation was in the discomfort that I and my kind are the ones who always get to decide. Look at generous, non-racist RomaVicta allowing the negroes to have most of what they want. I must contort my white hand to pat my white back.

Why are we deciding? If we want equality among fellow citizens, turn the responsibility of deciding what's offensive on campus over to those offended. The non-offended party should be petitioning for exceptions to their decisions. I don't get to decide every time.

I ramble. Apologies for that. I don't like what this country is or what it's becoming. Say that in public and you're liable to be beaten down by patriots who truly believe in freedom and liberty.

Irony deaf Idiot World.

Edited by RomaVicta

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

My favorite argument being trotted out to support the overturn of Roe is because a fewer percentage of men are getting married post Roe.

Sassy Red Wine GIF by Married At First Sight

that was from Sack right? i guess he's got empathy for his fellow white males at least 🙄

1 hour ago, Poe It Up said:

Not necessarily. It wasn’t a planned termination, which is what we’re actually discussing. Oklahoma will actually go after moms that have healthy kids as well, as long as the kids are born with drugs in their systems. They view drug use during pregnancy as neglect, and on its face I can’t really disagree. This is more to curb their out of control meth issue more than they’re stance on Roe. 

I won’t try to opine on the specifics of that case as I simply don’t know enough. I do think I support the idea that a child born addicted to drugs is child abuse and the parent(s) (father included) should be held responsible. I am curious though what is your opinion on someone reporting a pregnant woman to CPS for drinking or smoking while she is pregnant. If life begins at conception wouldn’t that too be child abuse?

My mom disagrees. 

Dude how goddamn stupid are you? I hope this is a bit but this is one of the greater meltdowns in recent surly history

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

I won’t try to opine on the specifics of that case as I simply don’t know enough. I do think I support the idea that a child born addicted to drugs is child abuse and the parent(s) (father included) should be held responsible. I am curious though what is your opinion on someone reporting a pregnant woman to CPS for drinking or smoking while she is pregnant. If life begins at conception wouldn’t that too be child abuse?

Or eating lunchmeat (listeria risk), unpasteurized milk, etc. If we put a little effort into we could really create the perfect environment for developing fetus, mother be damned. Of course once it's out, good luck little fella - you're gonna need it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

"This is what a terrified former-majority does.  When they feel themselves losing control, they reflexively assert it in the most draconian way possible.  Not because they actually care about the outcome; rather, because that's the most effective way to send us the message that they still have control, and they will use the fuck out of it.  It's human nature.  Abusive spouses do the same thing -- when the battered spouse threatens to leave, thus depriving the abuser of further control, THAT'S when the real beating starts.  "I'll show YOU who's boss!"  We are watching a minority party and minority movement cruelly reminding us all that THEY are boss, and don't you forget it."

This is the central issue behind all of the authoritarian bullshit happening in our country right now.  

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

I’m not going to report anyone for smoking or drinking, unless it’s some extreme case. But of course I think it’s child abuse. My cousin was born with a horrible case of cleft lip/palate that was attributed to my aunt’s heavy smoking. The poor kids been through hell and he carry’s a lot anger for what she did. Occasional drinking? Meh, it happens. 

• Fuck You 3

14 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Or eating lunchmeat (listeria risk), unpasteurized milk, etc. If we put a little effort into we could really create the perfect environment for developing fetus, mother be damned. Of course once it's out, good luck little fella - you're gonna need it.

Yeah, once they're born it's also cool to ignore all the vaccines that will not only protect that kid but others around him too.  Who cares?  Just get these kids out and worry about the rest later...or don't.  

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

Not all conservatives were run off. Some of us just looked into our hearts and couldn't associate with a white-christian nationalist movement. Same reason some of us left the church/faith.

giphy.gif

Although I'm only a semi-lapsed Episcopalian.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I really do try to be genuine, but I know it’s probably not going to happen in a very charged discussion. That was a miscalculation on my part, I better stick to the witty comments and sorts related humor that I know so well. 

okay.

but you did not answer my question.

I want someone to perfect implantation of zygotes into men and then I want the mother to have the right to transfer the fetus into the genetic father's body in the third trimester.

I love the line in VEEP when Selena says if men got pregnant you could get an abortion at an ATM.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Barrett, on the other hand, has been deeply committed for her entire life to the cause of ending legal abortion and I don't think she cares about anyone outside of her church liking her.

Yeah, Barrett is Wendy Byrde.  She only has to say "We are so close." about four more weeks.

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

I’m not going to report anyone for smoking or drinking, unless it’s some extreme case. But of course I think it’s child abuse. My cousin was born with a horrible case of cleft lip/palate that was attributed to my aunt’s heavy smoking. The poor kids been through hell and he carry’s a lot anger for what she did. Occasional drinking? Meh, it happens. 

Gotcha. Occasional drink is fine. So a shot here or there for a two year old is ok. It happens right.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

I asked where all the women getting locked up for abortions are, then he posted a story about a miscarriage. It was super weird. 

They'll start getting locked up once Roe is officially struck down and the states that have outlawed abortion or will soon outlaw abortion impose penalties.  Am I being hysterical when I assume that there'll be consequences for breaking these laws?  Or that women who have miscarriages will be suspected of getting an abortion? 

• Hook 'Em 2

54 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

The revelation was in the discomfort that I and my kind are the ones who always get to decide. 

Here is where I disagree with you.  My kind never gets to decide.  I suppose I have some physical aspects in common with those people in charge, but Ted Cruz, John Cornyn, Greg Abbot, Ken Paxton, Louie Gohmert, Dan Crenshaw et al.  But they are not my kind.   Beto was closer to my kind of person.  Elizabeth Warren.  Katie Porter.  They are closer to my kind of person still, not quite close enough.    I have a STEM background.  I can rebuild an engine, fix, make a souffle and I only use 3 bobby pins for my daughter's bun that can survive ballet or tap class.   I know how much groceries cost.    I do not believe in fucking people over and I do not need fear or punishment as a motivator.   I naively believe in this country.  I naively believe in my fellow man.   I want to.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, sidis said:

respectfully, this is not an answer...at least not a relevant one to this topic at hand. 

Thanks for the thoughtful response. Lots of good points made in there. You asked me to offer a proposal on outcomes oriented solutions, and I pointed out an area where I think there is opportunity. There is a fair amount of research related to repeated abortion, and studies that have examined the variety of influencing factors. I think that there is some low hanging fruit that could substantively reduce abortions among some of the most vulnerable. You asked for that proposal, but you then afterwards restrict the topic to the political and legal levers. Well, if that is the bounds of our society's approach to abortion (and it surely has been the primary battleground the last 50 years), it brings us to this place today where Roe is apparently going to get overturned and each state will regulate as they see fit. Fueling further polarization and, I think, a swing back the other way in the near term.   

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

Gotcha. Occasional drink is fine. So a shot here or there for a two year old is ok. It happens right.

a pregnant woman needs to be a heavy drinker (21+ per week) before the risk of fetal alcohol syndrome rises above the noise floor. 

54 minutes ago, sidis said:

i am officially declaring this a theme.

you guys seem to want to get into the emotionally charged slapfights and respond to every post calling you a fucking dipshit but i ask simple questions of stated premises, and i am always overlooked. 

DecentTinyAfricanwildcat-size_restricted

agwithkids never followed through but i think i know why.

This is what they always do.

Say something stupid

Get flamed 

Ignore legitimate questions

Claim you missed it

These dudes respond to every other post but somehow always miss the chance to explain themselves when someone asks. They are trolls.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

This new language confuses me. Is “preborn” akin to “parbaked”?

SMDH, but you might as well get used to it.

Science and science education (thanks GOP!) in the US is teetering on the edge of the Flat Earth.

Wait until the GOP start grifting abortion dowsers for $29.99.

6 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

SMDH, but you might as well get used to it.

Science and science education (thanks GOP!) in the US is teetering on the edge of the Flat Earth.

Wait until the GOP start grifting abortion dowsers for $29.99.

Oh, they can stick with science and still have their way.  Pregnancy hormones remain in the blood for weeks.  If you think they won't come up with a plan to test the blood of all women they suspect of having terminated a pregnancy, and if she shows up with 1) pregnancy hormones but 2) no baby, then PROSECUTION TIME.....well then, you haven't been listening to the actual words in plain english that they've actually been saying.

All women, please report to your local testing station.  Any woman who is later questioned who does not have verification of her required pregnancy hormone test will be subject to criminal prosecution.  All women who test positive for hormones but do not have a new baby will be referred to the Office of the Special Prosecutor for Female Crimes for prosecution, and may God have mercy on their souls, because we at the OSPFC sure as fuck won't.

Stop thinking that any of these scenarios are absurd.  You cannot think that when we simultaneously have actual elected officials proposing these very things or things a lot like them right now, in real-time.

23 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Here is where I disagree with you.  My kind never gets to decide.  I suppose I have some physical aspects in common with those people in charge, but Ted Cruz, John Cornyn, Greg Abbot, Ken Paxton, Louie Gohmert, Dan Crenshaw et al.  But they are not my kind.   Beto was closer to my kind of person.  Elizabeth Warren.  Katie Porter.  They are closer to my kind of person still, not quite close enough.    I have a STEM background.  I can rebuild an engine, fix, make a souffle and I only use 3 bobby pins for my daughter's bun that can survive ballet or tap class.   I know how much groceries cost.    I do not believe in fucking people over and I do not need fear or punishment as a motivator.   I naively believe in this country.  I naively believe in my fellow man.   I want to.  

I meant what I said at the most basic level. White people and particularly white men walk around with an almost ingrained world view.

In the case of the black student petition list, everybody on this forum was talking about what we should allow. How generous should we be was the course of argument between us.  Who we and they were was profoundly implicit because we don't think about it.  It's evidence that the most well-meaning among we white men may assume other things that are not the case. It has nothing to do with a variety of talents. I don't know what STEM is.

I wasn't focused on the we who are obviously in power and obviously malign. That's easy to see. It's harder to weed out subtle toxicity in your own heart if you're actually a decent person. I'm a decent person. I have blindness due to my color and what that color means in this society.

I'm not flailing myself or anyone at this level. I just noticed something.

• Hook 'Em 2