The Supremes

tx 3 putt

Things are worse than I thought. I just happened to open this thread today. I hope it's big news.

I should've learned this in 7th grade. I went out for the basketball team and the final cut was a Monday. It was either me or this other non-basketball-looking player who was several inches shorter than me.

I'm the one who got cut. I was spared huge embarrassment as I was a tackle and nothing much more as an athlete.

Turns out, the guy who made the team took the coaches deer hunting over that weekend. I was too naive to recognize that as the general way of the world.

No general movement or noise about this disgraceful behavior will be another footnote of proof that our electorate is disengaged or willfully obtuse. Not a good combo for a republic. 

Actually just increases my sadness rather than calling fury up from that nearly empty well. 

What do we call those who cannot recognize or are not moved by shamelessness?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Just fantastic reporting.

Such bullshit from the justice. 

ProPublica once again proves it's the gold standard for investigative journalism.  

Thomas really is a grade A POS. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Harlan Crow??

What in the Kentucky Fried Fuck? He sounds like a meth villain from “Justified”.

Ginni Thomas is TRASH.

Clarence Thomas is TRAAAAAAASHHH.

I get that you're not from TX, so I'll spare you this one. Harlan is the son of Trammell Crow. Look Trammell Crow up if you're not familiar and you'll understand.

8 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Democrats saying shit like this are going to turn me into the joker.

Because public trust improves so much by allowing corrupt jurists to remain on the bench. That makes sense to me.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 6

The reason nothing will happen is because the house has to impeach first and that ain’t happening given the Cheneys and Kinzigers of this world are gone.  I imagine someone will put up articles of impeachment but they will get voted down.  And no way senate convicts.  

So instead, you ask every R  and D on every show through 2024 election whether what Thomas did was impeachable, if so, why, and if not, why not.  

I do wonder if there are othe civil/criminal laws broken here that put Crow at risk and could generate discovery and get people under oath in depos like the Dominion case.  

probably not. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Democrats saying shit like this are going to turn me into the joker.

What he really means to say is Crow gives too much money to Congress and has too much influence for any of them to care.

30 minutes ago, royiv said:

I get that you're not from TX, so I'll spare you this one. Harlan is the son of Trammell Crow. Look Trammell Crow up if you're not familiar and you'll understand.

Pro tip:  Trammell is buried in Austin, if one were wanting to (for instance) piss on a grave.

5 minutes ago, pacman said:

What he really means to say is Crow gives too much money to Congress and has too much influence for any of them to care.

I'd be stunned if Crow has ever donated a single penny to a Democrat in his entire life. 

I'm ok if a justice, politician, etc. allows someone to buy them a trip or invites them along for a vacation. But it should be 100% reported according to the rules. And maybe these rules are actually laws.

If this was a liberal justice, we would be hearing impeachment calls from the GOP today.  Instead I imagine that when asked, people like Ted Cruz will just refuse to comment because they haven't read the story. And they won't allow a reporter to tell them the details.

Thomas should be hauled into a Senate inquiry and forced to testify about all gifts and trips that he's never reported. The judicial branch doesn't get a pass from oversight just because they have a lifetime appointment. If he refuses, there are limitations to what the Senate could do about it.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I get the sentiment from the unnamed Dem House member but should we do what is right as opposed to letting the corruption continue?

Schumer should be calling Roberts today to inform him that all of the justices are expected to submit full reports in 1 week. And the  lower courts judges the same but I say to give them 1 extra week.  Failure to do so will result in subpoenas being issued.

For some reason we treat the judiciary branch as more holy than the executive or legislature. If anything the exec and legis should be checking the judicial more stringently due to the lifetime appointments. Instead the legislative branch focuses almost all of its power on the executive branch.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

This.  Even if the Dems had the numbers to impeach, the Rs would SCREAM holy hell about witch hunts and how Dems are weaponizing the government and how it's all political.  That's where we are.  Doing the right thing means extreme gaslighting by the Rs.  Yeah, this country is going well.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Jesus, this is fucking horrific. Fuck you Clarence and your cunt wife in your faces.

SCOTUS should NOT be a lifetime appointment. Period.

If we make it to 50 years from now, I think most level-headed scholars will easily agree that Thomas was actually worse for the country as a Justice than Scalia was.

Thomas is a fucking scumbag.

If this was Sotomayor on the take, the House would be calling for severing Puerto Rico from the U.S.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

29 minutes ago, Stilicho said:

If we make it to 50 years from now, I think most level-headed scholars will easily agree that Thomas was actually worse for the country as a Justice than Scalia was.

Thomas is a fucking scumbag.

If this was Sotomayor on the take, the House would be calling for severing Puerto Rico from the U.S.

Scalia was doing the exact same shit. He was literally on an expensive vacation with rich conservative guys who had business before the court when he died.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

Absolutely need an ethics and quarterly reporting bill for the SC for any gifts. As part of that bill, it should be illegal to accept any gifts from parties with business in front of the court and grounds for immediate impeachment.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, pacman said:

8 for 8, coincidence I am sure

Had to look, because propublica said Crow and his businesses had had no cases before the Supreme Court.

I'm not sure advocacy groups like AEI and CCI that aren't actual parties, count.  To put it simply, Crow's a fascist, these are fascist advocacy groups, and Thomas is a fascist.  They don't really need to buy his vote.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, hornmpa96 said:

Absolutely need an ethics and quarterly reporting bill for the SC for any gifts. As part of that bill, it should be illegal to accept any gifts from parties with business in front of the court and grounds for immediate impeachment.

do you have a newsletter?

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Had to look, because propublica said Crow and his businesses had had no cases before the Supreme Court.

I'm not sure advocacy groups like AEI and CCI that aren't actual parties, count.  To put it simply, Crow's a fascist, these are fascist advocacy groups, and Thomas is a fascist.  They don't really need to buy his vote.

That doesn't mean it's not corrupt. They're paying Thomas now because he sold himself to them and their cause early in his career. If he hadn't, he wouldn't have been nominated for the job.

ETA: also, it helps prevent ideological drift by the justice. I doubt it's a big deal to Thomas specifically, but obviously someone in his position receiving those benefits would understand that they'll run out if he starts making rulings Crow and friends don't like.

Edited by wildcat09
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

That doesn't mean it's not corrupt. They're paying Thomas now because he sold himself to them and their cause early in his career. If he hadn't, he wouldn't have been nominated for the job. 

I didn't say it didn't.  It's really amazing that even 30 someodd years ago, they found the biggest sellout one could possibly hope for that was nominally qualified to be the second black Supreme Court justice.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, sasquatch69 said:

So there’s a billionaire funded sex trafficking ring but funded and founded by republicans? And this family has been friends with Thomas over decades? QAnon surely will be up in arms about these revelations 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

53 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Scalia was doing the exact same shit. He was literally on an expensive vacation with rich conservative guys who had business before the court when he died.

Oh, I won't argue that point. Scalia was corrupt, (I'd argue textualism in itself is fucking bogus and has done a good deal of irreparable damage to the country) and if you follow his opinions, you can see where the corruption starts to really take root (right around Heller, imo). I despise Antonin fucking Scalia.

I'm saying that what Thomas has put down on paper is actually worse than the stuff Scalia put down on paper (like the Violent Video Games case).

Reading Thomas's opinions is like rubbing on-fire gasoline in your eyes.

Edited by Stilicho
  • Like 1