The Supremes

tx 3 putt

this is honestly so fucking stupid we have on record people talking about destroying things and we can't just say "hey look this is what happens when that plan gets put into place, lets hit the undo button back to 2016, because that's not a horrible starting point to start over"

9 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

They can say whatever they want. There is nothing in the Constitution that gives them the final say over laws passed by Congress.

Sure.  But how's that rationally going to happen.  The Dems get 2 more Senators, abolish the filibuster, and pass a law saying Marbury v. Madison was wrongly decided, and SCOTUS no longer has the power of judicial review?  Good luck with that one.

29 minutes ago, immamac said:

yeah dude - it's not fucking hard. Congress fucked up and hasn't done shit forever. Because Congress is deadlocked people started finding ways around congress. First it was unitary executive theory. Then that got fucked, so then it became stack the court to legislate from the bench, which is what we are seeing now. It's not fucking hard to understand. The core issue is that Congress isn't doing shit. 

And why do you think that is? How did we get to this point? Gerrymandering, voter suppression, a legislative system that heavily favors rural constituents? As much as we all love bagging on lawmakers, we didn't get to this point because legislators stopped legislating, we got here because the system is broken and voters allowed it to happen.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

He showed his hand.  He has nothing.  A vague reference to a "well known private school in Houston" is . . . well, as you implied, it's a private school, and not subject to the same level of curriculum control to which public schools must conform.

Let's be very clear:  the howling about CRT has ALL been about public schools, and "tax money", etc.  Iconomore just laid it bare for us, he is a troll, with no good intent, and he should be shamed and negged into oblivion.  

For fuck's sake.

You asked for an example and I gave one. We discussed it back in the fall. Johnny Sack can confirm. I’m not getting more specific than that. It didn’t make the news because the parents handled it quietly to make sure it never happens again. FIN.

• Fuck You 12

13 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Sure.  But how's that rationally going to happen.  The Dems get 2 more Senators, abolish the filibuster, and pass a law saying Marbury v. Madison was wrongly decided, and SCOTUS no longer has the power of judicial review?  Good luck with that one.

Maybe we can appeal to the Super Supreme Court?

1 minute ago, Macklemore said:

You asked for an example and I gave one. We discussed it back in the fall. Johnny Sack can confirm. I’m not getting more specific than that. It didn’t make the news because the parents handled it quietly to make sure it never happens again. FIN.

So you keep bringing something up that happened ONE time and presenting it like it's happening EVERYWHERE? You are one disingenuous troll. Be better.

• Hook 'Em 2

That actually sounds like the small government the Republicans have been fantasizing about for a long time.  Not that I agree with it, but you have to admit there are a lot of executive Agencies they want to end, or at the very least, castrate. Perry even named a few during a debate, but I don't think most of the people running for President could tell you what exactly they all do. This seems like the kind of decision that should be implemented gradually over time in order to preserve some order in the meantime while the agencies and Congress determine the impact of it.  

Edited by Dutchrudder
  • Fuck You 1

24 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Well, at least start talking about it and inform the public and your voters that it's on the table because we have a Court packed full of radicals who are dismantling the American system of government by judicial fiat.

• Rage+1 1

That actually sounds like the small government the Republicans have been fantasizing about for a long time.  Not that I agree with it, but you have to admit there are a lot of executive Agencies they want to end, or at the very least, castrate. Perry even named a few during a debate, but I don't think most of the people running for President could tell you what exactly they all do. This seems like the kind of decision that should be implemented gradually over time in order to preserve some order in the meantime while the agencies and Congress determine the impact of it.  

That’s laughable. As soon as the GOP is in charge again, they will run roughshod over the US, using federal powers and the Court will side with them in anything and everything. We are fucked. It’s just a matter of time.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Willfully Horn said:

No lawyer, but SCOTUS dismantling Congress’ power to enact laws, like the one delegating authority to the EPA, is on the track to establishing monarchical rule.

The power of the purse is next.

Well, yes.  We live under judicial tyranny.

They have no electoral or democratic legitimacy.  Five of the nine justices were appointed by presidents who didn't win the popular vote.

And now it's clear that they lack intellectual or philosophical legitimacy.  They're just radicals who are going to shove down our throats an agenda opposed by a significant majority of Americans.

But despite that.  They have lifetime appointments.  There is no realistic way under our Constitution to get rid of them.

Well, Sic semper tyrannis, assholes.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

That’s laughable. As soon as the GOP is in charge again, they will run roughshod over the US, using federal powers and the Court will side with them in anything and everything. We are fucked. It’s just a matter of time.

This.  It's all building towards mass demonstrations/riots.

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

They have no electoral or democratic legitimacy.  Five of the nine justices were appointed by presidents who didn't win the popular vote.

And now it's clear that they lack intellectual or philosophical legitimacy.  They're just radicals who are going to shove down our throats an agenda opposed by a significant majority of Americans.

But despite that.  They have lifetime appointments.  There is no realistic way under our Constitution to get rid of them.

What's absolutely wild to think about is the only Republican justice with any real claim to legitimacy is Clarence Thomas, who is probably complicit in the fucking coup attempt.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

What's absolutely wild to think about is the only Republican justice with any real claim to legitimacy is Clarence Thomas, who is probably complicit in the fucking coup attempt.

Wasn't he a big "fuck you" to Thurgood Marshall?

21 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Alito and Roberts were each nominated and confirmed after Bush won the popular vote in 2004.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

That doesn't change the fact that he became president without winning the popular vote in 2000.

So it is a false statement to say they were nominated by a president who did not win the popular vote.  So it's untrue (and not relevant due to electoral college).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

6 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

So it is a false statement to say they were nominated by a president who did not win the popular vote.  So it's untrue (and not relevant due to electoral college).

But is a true statement to say they were nominated by a president who was elected to office without winning the popular vote.

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

It's also sort of extra-delegitimizing that SCOTUS handed him his first term.

By a 5-4 party line vote.

The Republican Party, with assistance from the Supreme Court, has been conspicuously and systematically establishing minority rule in this country for over two decades.

It's an open question as to how long the majority will put up with it.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I am going to fucking snap.

Yeah, but in light of Dobbs, what does his fucking stance on abortion even matter?  Granted, I'm sure his views across the board are abominable, but the horse is out of the barn on abortion, man.

• Rage+1 1

35 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

No its not stop being obtuse

3 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

Yeah, but in light of Dobbs, what does his fucking stance on abortion even matter?  Granted, I'm sure his views across the board are abominable, but the horse is out of the barn on abortion, man.

“Why does it even matter that he’s nominating a Republican?”

Just burn this fucking party to the ground already.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, DixonHur said:

The fact of the matter is that the Supreme Court is packed because the Democrats badly misplayed their hand.  

RBG should have retired during Obama's 1st term, and they should have put up a fight for Merrick Garland instead of assuming Hillary would win.

I don't blame the current state of SCOTUS on the Democrats.  How were they supposed to anticipate when Ginsburg and Scalia were going to die? What are they supposed to do when the Republican senate just refuses to take up your nomination? If they had any tools available they would have used them. Clearly the country is better when we have 4 conservatives, 4 liberals and one swing vote on the court.  It's just dumb luck we had that for so many years. I don't know what we had before that; perhaps there was a time when the government wasn't completely fucked and there was actual, you know, judicial integrity and the justices weren't just political tools.

Edited by Ojo Rojo

23 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I don't blame the current state of SCOTUS on the Democrats.  How were they supposed to anticipate when Ginsburg and Scalia were going to die? 

Ginsburg was predictable.  I understood her desire to stay on, and her cancer had been at bay for years, but come on, there is a point where it is the tactically responsible thing to do and just retire.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Ginsburg was predictable.  I understood her desire to stay on, and her cancer had been at bay for years, but come on, there is a point where it is the tactically responsible thing to do and just retire.

I don't disagree, but that is a Ginsburg miscalculation, not the Dems.  That's part of the problem is that you have these justices who don't think they are political tools, when that is all they are.  They can't resign timely for political reasons because that would be admitting what they are.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah--I have a lot of pent-up anger at her that I don't dare let out for fear of offending any number of women in my life for whom she is some sort of feminist saint (even though Sotomayor's dissents are better).

8 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I don't disagree, but that is a Ginsburg miscalculation, not the Dems.  That's part of the problem is that you have these justices who don't think they are political tools, when that is all they are.  They can't resign timely for political reasons because that would be admitting what they are.

You mean like O’Connor and Kennedy?

We are in this, to a significant degree, because of Ginsburg selfishness.  The rumor I have heard several times, from people I trust, is Obama invited her for a private dinner at the White House, very low key, and basically begged her to resign in 2012-2013. She refused. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I'm not the first person to say this:  the Dems need more old-school POTUS like LBJ or at least Clinton.  People who can see the landscape and lean on those who need to act so that shit doesn't go off the rails.  As much as I admired Obama, he was pretty naive.

1 hour ago, tchookem said:

So what I'm hearing is that not only do we get to experience the worst President in US History, we're may also get to experience the worst SCOTUS?

Historically I feel like there have been objectively worse SCOTUSes but only because we were an objectively worse society as a whole.

4 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

You mean like O’Connor and Kennedy?

We are in this, to a significant degree, because of Ginsburg selfishness.  The rumor I have heard several times, from people I trust, is Obama invited her for a private dinner at the White House, very low key, and basically begged her to resign in 2012-2013. She refused. 

Well, that, and McConnell stealing the appointment from Obama for Scalia's successor.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

The rumor I have heard several times, from people I trust, is Obama invited her for a private dinner at the White House, very low key, and basically begged her to resign in 2012-2013. She refused. 

First I've heard of that.  If true, my prior post is somewhat invalid.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not the first person to say this:  the Dems need more old-school POTUS like LBJ or at least Clinton.  People who can see the landscape and lean on those who need to act so that shit doesn't go off the rails.  As much as I admired Obama, he was pretty naive.

Obama was a welcome palate cleanser after 8 years of George W Bush, but in retrospect he was terrible at understanding how to get, keep, and use power.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

GOLL is right....just wait till tomorrow's decision in W. Va. v. EPA.  If you want to see the explosive dismantling of a crucial element in making America an economic powerhouse (American products etc. are trusted worldwide in large part because people know that they are made pursuant to real-deal safety standards, for example).....you'll see it tomorrow.

Do you like eating peanut butter without shards of glass in it?

How about flying on a plane subject to FAA safety regs (the 737 Max notwithstanding)?

Safe cars?

Oil-free beaches?

Clean drinking water?

Cribs that don't kill your kid?

SEC regs protecting investors from getting fucked (albeit not very effectively these days)?

Etc. etc. etc.?

Say adios.  Most of those regulations will be challenged 1 by 1, and down they will go.

June, 2020 is going to go down as one of the most defining, horrific months in our nation's history.  I am an Eeyore.....and even I didn't think it would be THIS bad, THIS fast.  And it's going to get much, much, much worse.

This is the explanation I was looking for.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't know about naive. It could be that he just thought, like many of us did, that Hilary was going to run away with it. It was the only rational conclusion at the time.

*I remember when rational conclusions actually came true. They were fun. Those were the days.