My car was stolen, then recovered. Help

XYZ

So some time ago I bought this piece of shit Jeep Wrangler, put some money into it, then one day it got stolen, then a week later police informs me that they found it, and today I got it back. Just to get this out of the way, it only has liability insurance, so my insurance company is not going to do anything for me. So, anyway, it's fucked up. They painted it, they totally destroyed the drum where you turn the key in the ignition, they made holes on the soft top, etc. So what's the best way to sell it for a few bucks? It doesn't run obviously. Shit, just the new wheels and tires were $1400. Help.

27 minutes ago, XYZ said:

. So what's the best way to sell it for a few bucks? It doesn't run obviously. 

As Twice states,  parting out may be best option especially for the new wheels and tires.

But do research,  don't give it away.   Wranglers are popular and hold their value very well.

You know, so far we've treated this as a salvage operation, how to get x amount of money out of the ruined car.

And that's a fair questioned, as far as money goes. But it leaves the greatest problem unanswered:

Thieves invaded XYZ's lair and made off with his possessions. They showed contempt for his honor.

So no, we don't need to part this Jeep out for a few coins. We need to convert it into a Weapon of Vengeance. Maybe weld a spiked ram onto the front, put a turret on the top. Hell, I'll help if we can get it done in the next few days, say, by Sunday. Used to be a dab hand with the die-mother-fucker-die M-60, if one of y'all can spare one. We get that Jeep looking fit for Mad Max, then we go on the hunt.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Did they recover the wheels & tires?

The wheels and tires are still on the Jeep. The thieves painted the Jeep black, and the wheels also, even though the wheels were already fucking black. They also installed a “light bar” on top, replaced the shifter knob, ripped out the lock on the tailgate, and completely fucked up the ignition switch. The engine bay seems to be intact. Fuck this.

Edit: the paint job is extremely shitty.

Edited by XYZ

3 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

So they made improvements to it?

Yeah, they made some fucking improvements. They even bought a switch with the toggle in the shape of a skull, but I guess they didn’t get around to installing it. I assume that was gonna be the switch for the light bar.

shoot I might be up for a beach vehicle to leave down at the coast. Some pics expecially of the steering column, and engine would be helpful.

If it were me the first thing I am doing is figure out how to hotwire/ replace ignition on the thing to see if the engine fires up.  That's gonna largely determine the value IMHO if you want to get some cash for it.   Sucks on the paint as that's a hassle, but I have seen more than a few rhinoliner paint jobs at the coast.  Somebody will buy it. 

I replaced the ignition switch on my 1980 Citation after it had locked up tighter than Mother Teresa’s snatch.

Had to remove the steering wheel to get to the switch’s innards. I made a wooden puller tool so I could get it off with a socket wrench. Easy peasy after that.

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

shoot I might be up for a beach vehicle to leave down at the coast. Some pics expecially of the steering column, and engine would be helpful.

If it were me the first thing I am doing is figure out how to hotwire/ replace ignition on the thing to see if the engine fires up.  That's gonna largely determine the value IMHO if you want to get some cash for it.   Sucks on the paint as that's a hassle, but I have seen more than a few rhinoliner paint jobs at the coast.  Somebody will buy it. 

Thanks for that comment. I think I’m gonna do as you suggest. Gonna fix the ignition switch, then I’ll know if the engine is OK.

I think it is totally salvageable. Fix the ignition switch yourself. The parts including a new key are pretty cheap. There are a several YouTube videos on it. Assuming it then runs, change all the fluids. Patch the soft top for now, you could easily replace it later.  Assuming everything runs well and you still like the Jeep, strip the interior yourself and get it painted and the wheels refinished down the road. It was a POS before, now is your opportunity to bring the phoenix out of the ashes. Or maybe see that Spicoli guy. His old man is a TV repairman and has an ultimate set of tools. He can fix it. 

• Like 1

The very critical "skull" toggle switch that the thief left in the car, presumably for the light bar that he was installing:

https://ibb.co/2Z4HTby

Ignition switch dangling. I was actually able to start the engine by turning the switch with a screwdriver, and the car drives the same as before the theft:

https://ibb.co/T10hbdN

Another view:

https://ibb.co/2dGjrcB

You can't appreciate the shittiness of the paint job with a picture:

https://ibb.co/HNs7PBZ

On 8/16/2019 at 11:23 AM, Wyatt Mann said:

So.....are there fingerprints on the Jeep? I would really like to see details, a police report would be great. But where and how was it stolen and where and how was it recovered would be nice to know.

Do police even investigate stolen vehicles these days? Working in shifts I'm sure