Fire Todd Orlando

Bozo_Casanova

What the fuck is this stupidity?  I mean our team gave up two muff punt turnover or the game is over long ago.  They held one of the best RB's in the nation to a small per play average.  They had about 309273027032 injuries in their secondary.  

They got two key turnovers and played well.  This thread is regarded.

• Like 6

Just now, deech said:

What the fuck is this stupidity?  I mean our team gave up two muff punt turnover or the game is over long ago.  They held one of the best RB's in the nation to a small per play average.  They had about 309273027032 injuries in their secondary.  

They got two key turnovers and played well.  This thread is regarded.

Yep.  Weird game.  Gundy's dumbassery kind of covered for some of the defensive issues.  Holding OSU to 30 pts. with all the injuries seems good... but then, when watching the game, I was all WTF.

2 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Yep.  Weird game.  Gundy's dumbassery kind of covered for some of the defensive issues.  Holding OSU to 30 pts. with all the injuries seems good... but then, when watching the game, I was all WTF.

TO basically wanted Hubbard and Wallace shut down, so some of the other guys got really easy yards because they were 1 on 1, but it still worked in the end.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

TO basically wanted Hubbard and Wallace shut down, so some of the other guys got really easy yards because they were 1 on 1, but it still worked in the end.

I know some weird shit was going on, but to hold them to 10 points in the 2nd half, with all the injuries, isn't too bad.

Our defensive problems can pretty much be summed up into one major category. Our defensive backs suck shit through a straw when the ball is in the air. We can’t get off the field on third downs and can be had deep this year. TO needs to protect these guys a bit more but he did do a good job in the second half tonight. 

The defense played much better than I expected. Before Brandon Jones went full retard on the last punt they only had 23 points. And that included the gift before halftime where we spotted them the ball on the 10 or 15 yard line.  

The defense did their part. Special teams and our coaching decision to stop playing offense made it a game again. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Our defensive problems can pretty much be summed up into one major category. Our defensive backs suck shit through a straw when the ball is in the air. We can’t get off the field on third downs and can be had deep this year. TO needs to protect these guys a bit more but he did do a good job in the second half tonight. 

I just wish TO could figure things out before giving up 20 pts and 30 minutes.

It was nice to see a dB turn around and bat down a ball in the end zone that certainly would have been caught for a score. Maybe he could let his teammates in on that skill.

Edited by El Squared

Jesus tapdancing Christ.

Okie State has the third best offense on our schedule.  And we probably would've held them to 16 points if not for two muffed punts in our own end.

We shut out LA Tech and Rice for three quarters each.  They didn't so shit until our backups were in.

Some of y'all are freaking out because the best team on our schedule scored a lot of points.  Well, that'll happen.

Cliff's Notes: this thread is dumb and stupid.

• Like 3

My problem with TO is that his blitzes never seem to work.  There is no creativity there.  We rarely get pressure on QB's or at least didn't in the first half.  I think they got to him twice in the second half?  It would just be nice to see a free rusher every once in a while.  I can agree that the second half was pretty good, but we've got to get more pressure on the QB somehow. 

4 hours ago, El Squared said:

I just wish TO could figure things out before giving up 20 pts and 30 minutes.

It was nice to see a dB turn around and bat down a ball in the end zone that certainly would have been caught for a score. Maybe he could let his teammates in on that skill.

He only gave up 13 before the muffed punt on his own 10. 

Also, Gary Patterson just gave up 41 to fucking SMU, so I’d love to know what coaches you think have it figured out that are holding elite spread offenses to below 30 consistently. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He only gave up 13 before the muffed punt on his own 10. 

Also, Gary Patterson just gave up 41 to fucking SMU, so I’d love to know what coaches you think have it figured out that are holding elite spread offenses to below 30 consistently. 

So I guess no one is able to put up better passing defenses against the spread, because it’s just an impossible model to defend?

Really? We are just executing at such a high level and  that the spread is indefensible. Please.

How many times do our defenders turn around and bat down a ball , or break up a pass, or  not play 10-15 yards away from a receiver?

We see good-great QBs in this league and with holding calls coming only infrequently, and minimal pass rush , our secondary is and will continue to get torched, as predicted, in this style of defense. Yes, it can be better.....

Edit: Not saying TO needs to be replaced. Or that he is not a good coach. There is significant room for improvement with the personnel in place and scheme, considering the type of ball played in this conference.

Edited by El Squared

1 hour ago, El Squared said:

So I guess no one is able to put up better passing defenses against the spread, because it’s just an impossible model to defend?

Really? We are just executing at such a high level and  that the spread is indefensible. Please.

How many times do our defenders turn around and bat down a ball , or break up a pass, or  not play 10-15 yards away from a receiver?

We see good-great QBs in this league and with holding calls coming only infrequently, and minimal pass rush , our secondary is and will continue to get torched, as predicted, in this style of defense. Yes, it can be better.....

Edit: Not saying TO needs to be replaced. Or that he is not a good coach. There is significant room for improvement with the personnel in place and scheme, considering the type of ball played in this conference.

Sanders was 19/32 for 268 yards, 0 TDS and 2 INTs. The passing game wasn’t hurting us that much. 

Again, 5.5 YPP and 2 TOs is a solid defensive performance against a team like OSU, especially with all the injuries. 

No shit our defense can be better, but it wasn’t really the problem this game, either. With our offense, that performance will yield a win for the team almost every time.

Edited by Burt Macklin

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Sanders was 19/32 for 268 yards, 0 TDS and 2 INTs. The passing game wasn’t hurting us that much. 

Again, 5.5 YPP and 2 TOs is a solid defensive performance against a team like OSU, especially with all the injuries. 

No shit our defense can be better, but it wasn’t really the problem this game, either. With our offense, that performance will yield a win for the team almost every time.

Outside of OU nobody else is going to have the offensive talent from last night.

Every team that has played against a good offense has surrendered points, occasionally getting into the 40’s. I’m not so sure If we are correctly evaluating the modern defense (including how Referees are calling holding, PI, etc). Sure, we want to keep everyone below 20, but is that even realistic in today’s game when playing a quality opponent?

OSU had only 4 drives of 50+ yards out of 14 opportunities. Those 4 drives resulted in only 13 points. They scored 14 points off of our muffed punts. The defense did a great job leading up to those punts. OSU is very talented. Of our remaining schedule, only Halen Hurts is capable of escaping a few of the sack opportunities that Sanders eluded. All of this was accomplished with a very beaten up unit. We and Orlando are fine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hate said:

My problem with TO is that his blitzes never seem to work.  There is no creativity there.  We rarely get pressure on QB's or at least didn't in the first half.  I think they got to him twice in the second half?  It would just be nice to see a free rusher every once in a while.  I can agree that the second half was pretty good, but we've got to get more pressure on the QB somehow. 

Agree with this.  I think lack of QB pressures is the most valid criticism of Orlando.  It's not really his fault that he's got sophomore corners who are green (they're also physically gifted and figure to improve).  

But we seldom rush 5 or 6, and when we do, it looks like the offense knows it's coming.  We're not creating enough pre-snap confusion.

I also don't like the 3 man rush and 8 in coverage stuff.  If your secondary is bad, having 8 of them back there instead of 6 doesn't help much, especially if it comes at the cost of giving the QB 4 full seconds to make his reads.  I'd like to see us get more aggressive on the pass rush all the way around.  What's the worst that could happen - we start giving up chunk pass plays?  That's already happening.  So take some shots.  If we can get an extra sack or two a game, plus some hurried throws, plus force some holding penalties, all of a sudden this defense gets a lot better.

Edited by TexArcher

3 hours ago, Hate said:

It works against less-athletic OL play, backfield statues and green QBs, but there are far too many opponents on our slate with experienced, athletic, mobile QBs who can elude it while the blitz has left a soft middle zone for easy conversions or DBs on an island who never play the ball and don't seem to quite play man, giving up a reception before making contact with the receiver.

I need to see the 3-2-6 mixed up with a 4-2-5 in the same game and let the DEs do work instead of just clogging up the interior lanes.  I also need to see the corners attempt to jam the receivers off the LOS instead of making every opponent with pass protection a track meet.

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

Agree with this.  I think lack of QB pressures is the most valid criticism of Orlando.  It's not really his fault that he's got sophomore corners who are green (they're also physically gifted and figure to improve).  

But we seldom rush 5 or 6, and when we do, it looks like the offense knows it's coming.  We're not creating enough pre-snap confusion.

I also don't like the 3 man rush and 8 in coverage stuff.  If your secondary is bad, having 8 of them back there instead of 6 doesn't help much, especially if it comes at the cost of giving the QB 4 full seconds to make his reads.  I'd like to see us get more aggressive on the pass rush all the way around.  What's the worst that could happen - we start giving up chunk pass plays?  That's already happening.  So take some shots.  If we can get an extra sack or two a game, plus some hurried throws, plus force some holding penalties, all of a sudden this defense gets a lot better.

We brought 5 a ton against LSU. It didn’t work and gave up a ton of chunk plays. If we do that last night, Tylan Wallace probably goes for 200+. 

We only brought 3 or 4 a lot this game and actually didn’t give up many chunk plays at all. We only gave up 2 long passes and Sanders scrambled for 30+ once. Tonight was what we need from the defense. Stout against the run and don’t give up long plays over the defense’s head. Make teams earn drives while our offense puts up 35+ every game. 

A 4 man line sounds nice in theory, but we don’t have 4 DL who can generate a rush and then you start to make it really obvious pre-snap what your defense is doing. 

Edited by Burt Macklin