Why do we keep fucking this up?

GhostOfTomJoad

1 minute ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Money? We've got it all

Facilities? Yep

Recruiting grounds?  See above

Why in the hell are we looking like the Minnesota fucking Gophers?

Wrong choice of team bro...they gonna be ranked higher than us tomorrow

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Because we hire a guy and then let him choose safe hires instead of insisting he get the best coaches available? Or because we go with the “hot name” instead of doing a more thorough search?

the latter.

11 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Money? We've got it all

Facilities? Yep

Because you watch Twilight movies...  What?  You didn't think there'd be repercussions?  

• Like 1

Because we hire a guy and then let him choose safe hires instead of insisting he get the best coaches available? Or because we go with the “hot name” instead of doing a more thorough search?

It’s worse than that. Everyone knew Strong had to go and if the administration had been doing their homework, they would have known who to get well before Strong was let go. Instead, they had to make a panic hire of Herman because LSU wanted him and the administration still wasn’t sure whether he was the right hire or not.

15 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

This will only get worse over time. Student body these days don’t give a fuck 

I don't know about that.  I was pretty impressed with the students during the Iowa St game last year.  I come from the "early to mid-90's" school of Texas student body apathy.  We didn't even wear orange back then, much less show up and participate.

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

It’s worse than that. Everyone knew Strong had to go and if the administration had been doing their homework, they would have known who to get well before Strong was let go. Instead, they had to make a panic hire of Herman because LSU wanted him and the administration still wasn’t sure whether he was the right hire or not.

yep.  we hired a guy who when asked(if he was asked)said I'm bringing Houston to Texas(except for Major) or I'm not coming and will go to LSU.  Herman had no idea who the best coaches were that he thought he could get, he had to bring sycophants because the guy had never had a real HC gig in a real conf.

we didn't ask the right questions we just panicked thinking we wouldn't have a date to the dance.  We're Texas but don't really act like Texas.  we kowtow to shitty coaches because we don't know how to prepare to do what needs to be done.

this is mackovic all over again, arrogant, offensive coach who doesn't know dick about being a HC at a big time program.  He's done.  the question is if it will go another 2 years like it did with mackovic.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Tom Chairman said:

This right here. The priority is on becoming a public ivy and football is looked down upon. Problem is, our academic rankings have been tending down in the last 10 years. We can't get either right.

Exactly. We're basically Michigan's twin. We've won a shit load throughout our history, but a single National Championship in damn near 50 years at a school with all our resources is fucking pathetic. At our core, be it students, alumni, boosters, administration, et al we simply don't care enough. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 3

yep.  we hired a guy who when asked(if he was asked)said I'm bringing Houston to Texas(except for Major) or I'm not coming and will go to LSU.  Herman had no idea who the best coaches were that he thought he could get, he had to bring sycophants because the guy had never had a real HC gig in a real conf.
we didn't ask the right questions we just panicked thinking we wouldn't have a date to the dance.  We're Texas but don't really act like Texas.  we kowtow to shitty coaches because we don't know how to prepare to do what needs to be done.
this is mackovic all over again, arrogant, offensive coach who doesn't know dick about being a HC at a big time program.  He's done.  the question is if it will go another 2 years like it did with mackovic.

To be fair, when we assembled a head-hunting committee and took our sweet time with a coaching search, we done ducked it up even worse.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tom Chairman said:

To be fair, when we assembled a head-hunting committee and took our sweet time with a coaching search, we done ducked it up even worse.

We've done it every way known to man and still fucked it up.  Akers, McWilliams, Mackovic, Strong, Herman.  Akers may not belong on that list, but for 84-86.

Edited by TwiceHorn

It’s going to get worse before it gets better.

Tech will be a dogfight and the rest will be losses because they figured out the 4 plays we run on offense and how the OL can be had w/3 man defensive front. 6-6. Wee!

i just hope the testosterone shots are stout and penile implants are sturdy for our BMDs. They will call the next move.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Money? We've got it all

Facilities? Yep

The Gophers hung 52 on Maryland today. We’re definitely not Minnesota. 

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

Football is not a priority.

Put it this way...if Alabama or LSU or Auburn or USC or Georgia or Penn St or OU were in our situation today...is there any question that they'd already be working out Urban's contract and would shitcan the current coach the second it was finalized? 

I'm not suggesting that Texas should do that...just saying, if football really, truly was a priority...

I’ve come to the conclusion that the University, as a institution, is incapable of sunning a successful athletic department. It’s time to just tear it down and concentrate on what the University dies well, and what it’s true purpose is. It’s time to actually become the Harvard of the south, except their football team probably beat us too. I may feel differently in the morning when I’m sober. I’m guessing I’ll probs feel the same, just woh a large headache.

• Haha 1

Penn St has the Paterno scandal and turned it around just fine. Some thought they would never ever be the same. Nope.

Baylor has the rape/Briles scandal and now look at them. Undefeated and in 1st place and back to where they were when Briles was there. Just like that. Meanwhile we have been stewing in shit since the 2010 season. The one outlier was last season when we beat Georgia.

The only thing we have over OU is we have actually appeared in a national championship more recently and have won one more recently. Even though that doesn't really mean shit for the present. The fucking own us and this conference. How many times have we been favored against them in the last 15 years? Can't be too many. They have been to the playoffs 3 times so far and we have not even sniffed one. It's fucking pathetic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

This is what a decade of shittiness does 

Bah, in the 80s and early 90s we showed up in droves for shitty football.  And drank a lot.  We didn't wear orange much, but we made a lotta fuckin noise if there was something worthwhile going on.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Akers won 2 conference championships in 10 seasons.  The dirty secret is that Texas football’s dominant blue blood stretches, throwing out records from the leather helmet era, basically are just 1961-77 (arguably more like through 72 or 73, really), and then 2004-09.   

Places like OU, Ohio State, and Alabama have more consistent big time success because they care more and do what it takes to win.  

Yep.  We just have all those wins because we've been doing it longer, at an above-average, but not great level.  Like Michigan.

And a whole lot of our big wins and big seasons came when there were no "ethics" in recruiting.

And we've never had a school president declare to the state legislature that he was trying to build a university the football team could be proud of.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Bah, in the 80s and early 90s we showed up in droves for shitty football.  And drank a lot.  We didn't wear orange much, but we made a lotta fuckin noise if there was something worthwhile going on.

I wonder how much this current generation cares about sports in general. Seems they are not near as passionate about sports as our generations..