Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

7 hours ago, elfenix said:

People who can't figure out how to put their car into neutral and need the help of 3 employees when going into the automatic car wash.

82ab2ab4e28ec7ec2bd5e807f9c4692f.jpg

I hate the column shifter on the Mercedes. It isn't intuitive at all how to find N, and if you short stroke it, you wind up not getting D or R. (that's what she said)

• Hook 'Em 1

At what exact age do people completely lose all sense of their surroundings? Specifically in reference to older shoppers at the grocery store. And I'm not even talking feeble old geriatrics, but boomers and up. Things I noticed just on my latest trip:

1. Old ladies grab their shopping carts in the busy-ass cart area and then don't continue on into the store but rather start checking their list/digging through their purses/reading through the weekly ad, while people have to try and maneuver around them.

2. Folks coming to a complete stop in the middle of the aisle with absolutely no idea that multiple people are behind them. They act half-startled when you finally try to politely squeeze by. 

3. Old man in an electric scooter cart stopping past the checkout to window shop the lottery ticket machine, completely blocking the exit path. 

4. Older couples walking down the middle of the lanes in the parking lot at about 1/10 mph, never once looking up or behind to check for cars or anything. 

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

At what exact age do people completely lose all sense of their surroundings? Specifically in reference to older shoppers at the grocery store. And I'm not even talking feeble old geriatrics, but boomers and up. Things I noticed just on my latest trip:

1. Old ladies grab their shopping carts in the busy-ass cart area and then don't continue on into the store but rather start checking their list/digging through their purses/reading through the weekly ad, while people have to try and maneuver around them.

2. Folks coming to a complete stop in the middle of the aisle with absolutely no idea that multiple people are behind them. They act half-startled when you finally try to politely squeeze by. 

3. Old man in an electric scooter cart stopping past the checkout to window shop the lottery ticket machine, completely blocking the only exit path. 

4. Older couples walking down the middle of the lanes in the parking lot at about 1/10 mph, never once looking up or behind to check for cars or anything. 

It has been my long experience that about 90% of humanity wouldn't survive two days in the jungle or on the savanna, not because they would starve or die of dehydration, but because they would stroll right into a pride of lions or herd of Cape buffalo without even noticing their presence.  Situational awareness is a rare thing, especially in female humans.

On number 1, my wife started doing that in her early 30s.  It ain't just age.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 5/4/2022 at 3:44 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Fucking reading glasses.  Where the fuck do they all sneak off to?  I just got back from walking the dogs and I swear my favorite pair was in my shirt pocket when I left the house.  I have a certain kind that I like that I have to order from amazon and seems like I'm ordering a couple of pairs every month.

Lol the 6 pairs that are all missing are in the same goddamn place….

2 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

3. Old man in an electric scooter cart stopping past the checkout to window shop the lottery ticket machine, completely blocking the exit path. 

Similar shit happens in airports and it makes me ragey. People walking down the middle of the terminal just stop right in the middle of the flow of traffic.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

On 5/4/2022 at 9:03 PM, Trey3216 said:

Pretty much.   I mean, I live in Waco.   So not super small town but not big.    I actually have a few folks that work at the gas station near my office that I frequent that are really nice folks.  The extra 90 seconds to keep my ass from getting a $4500 bill from Wally World in Killeen is an acceptable trade for me.   

Lol Waco is not even remotely close to a ‘small town’. Do you even Texas bro?

4 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Based on the assholes I see sitting down to buckle into their snowboards on the chair lift download ramp, I'm not sure it's an age thing

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

22 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

It has been my long experience that about 90% of humanity wouldn't survive two days in the jungle or on the savanna, not because they would starve or die of dehydration, but because they would stroll right into a pride of lions or herd of Cape buffalo without even noticing their presence.  Situational awareness is a rare thing, especially in female humans.

On number 1, my wife started doing that in her early 30s.  It ain't just age.

Agreed, I  don't think age is the prevailing factor here. I personally think it's a lack of common sense and courtesy combined with rudeness and a whole lot of stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

I trim first, because i like the margin it gives the mower next to the fence, rock beds, and in corners. That way I'm also not beating up the mower wheels on the edges of the rock bed in the front yard. 
Agreed, Fuck beating the hell outta my fence with the trimmer.

Yup.

When I was a pro lawn jockey, I always trimmed first. You could mow faster not having to worry about edges, buildings, etc.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 5/19/2022 at 3:18 PM, Storm the Field said:

Especially nice is when the person stopping is on their phone and is trying to convince/persuade the voice on the line that whatever it is they are seeking is not available and an alternate must be chosen. Somehow, this means that Mister or Miss Shopper must back up to view the entire section and then dart forward aaaaand nope, back again and now forward, perhaps because they've lost their reading glasses AGAIN and are having trouble reading the labels and/or prices. The tension builds while decisions must be reached. Eye contact is made. No,  not with the Mister Shopper, he's too busy handling the crisis or even alas, saving his marriage. No, a sympathetic glance and a shrugged understanding is reached with the supporting actor down the aisle, with her cart laden with kitty litter and spaghetti and leaf lettuce on who will go first when the moment arises.

It becomes an opera or even a ballet of sorts. Except the store music always disappoints. And I'm never ready for my close up.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

22 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yup.

When I was a pro lawn jockey, I always trimmed first. You could mow faster not having to worry about edges, buildings, etc.

I mow, husband trims because the string trimmer is really heavy so he can do a better and faster job with it. I like to mow diagonals. Makes the lawn look purdy. We get done pretty quickly by doing it together. In the summer when the grass is growing faster, one of the children does the second mow.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Underdog said:

The wife and I alternate mowing duties but I do the trimming and cleaning up.  

PS- Anyone own an E-go electric mower and if so, how do you like it?  

I hated mine But I have really thick St. Augustine grass. I used it on some elses lawn that wasn't thick and it was fine. 

• Like 2

On 5/19/2022 at 3:18 PM, Storm the Field said:

Not an age thing. 23 y/o son tells me last week how pissed off I used to make him by driving home spacial awareness and being able to anticipate where things/ people are going.  Says fellow Sailors did not grow up at our house…LOL.

(it killed him to say it)

On 5/21/2022 at 4:30 PM, Horn_Spanker said:

People who post Apple products in the Computer section of Craigslist.  WTF?

Should be in produce or jelly, right?

52 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Hey bro @Jameslaw121

I'm more interested in where these guys are finding wives that mow.  That's a thing?

Alas, mine used to.  However, degenerative spine condition combined with a bumpy ass lawn, I have forbidden her from the zero turn.  Perhaps I should consider a trade in?

35 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Alas, mine used to.  However, degenerative spine condition combined with a bumpy ass lawn, I have forbidden her from the zero turn.  Perhaps I should consider a trade in?

Maybe you should just ease off on the bumpy-ass.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Wish I could rep this more than once. 

Srsly: armadillos and wild hogs are a bitch.  The struggle is real.

We have some freaking armadillos living under our deck in ETX. It’s a very big deck, so it’s not an easy solution. Traps are worthless. The only solution is a .410 or a .308, if I can find the suckers. They’re elusive. 

Yes, our lawn is bumpy-ass too, from the armadillos and the many tree roots. The .308 solves the hog problems too  

Edit: back to the thread title. It makes me surly when I’m mowing the bumpy-ass lawn and run over one of the cypress root knuckles that I forget about, significantly shortening the life of the mower. 

Edited by nnm
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

Local radio guys (aka Rod Babers) proclaiming themselves to be a "lifetime Longhorn". 

What the hell does that even mean? Chest thumping because your neighbor is only a "10-year Longhorn" and will move on to support another school in year 11?

Well, in my case it wouldn’t mean so much.

2 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Local radio guys (aka Rod Babers) proclaiming themselves to be a "lifetime Longhorn". 

What the hell does that even mean? Chest thumping because your neighbor is only a "10-year Longhorn" and will move on to support another school in year 11?

Sounds like something a bandwagon fan would complain about. 

On 5/26/2022 at 4:33 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

I'm more interested in where these guys are finding wives that mow.  That's a thing?

Growing up in my family with two parents with jobs, the mowing chore was handed down by age regardless of gender; it was simply another skill to learn and a task that needed doing. As soon as the oldest got a 'real' job, then the next stepped up and took over. The two things that were less fun was that poison ivy was a real problem at my parent's place, and they had a crap ton of nut trees: walnut, oak, hickory, and pecan. Oh, and I did run the lawn tractor into a wall once and got in trouble for that. But that neighbor boy next door that liked to wash his car in the driveway was soooo cute!

So, mowing now with the husband is a breeze. Plus, I make sure the fridge has beer in it before we start. Got to have a plan, execute the plan, enjoy the plan.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Growing up in my family with two parents with jobs, the mowing chore was handed down by age regardless of gender; it was simply another skill to learn and a task that needed doing. As soon as the oldest got a 'real' job, then the next stepped up and took over. The two things that were less fun was that poison ivy was a real problem at my parent's place, and they had a crap ton of nut trees: walnut, oak, hickory, and pecan. Oh, and I did run the lawn tractor into a wall once and got in trouble for that. But that neighbor boy next door that liked to wash his car in the driveway was soooo cute!

So, mowing now with the husband is a breeze. Plus, I make sure the fridge has beer in it before we start. Got to have a plan, execute the plan, enjoy the plan.

My wife would mow if she had to.  No reason for her to do it with my two sons and me able to do it.

My mom, 70, mows her own yard.

On 5/26/2022 at 4:33 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Hey bro @Jameslaw121

Wife never mowed my yard.  ever.  She does pull weeds in the flower beds and rock beds though.

My boys never mowed our yard once, and for that I feel an ounce of shame.  Oldest boy( now 28) has mowed HIS own yard the past few years and told me he now understands why I never gave up the vacation from life that is mowing.  So i guess I properly handed that shit down  after all.

Cold beer, a little sweat, and sharp ass diagonals...  the good life.   Now where's that sandwich?

8 minutes ago, slorch said:

Wife never mowed my yard.  ever.  She does pull weeds in the flower beds and rock beds though.

My boys never mowed our yard once, and for that I feel an ounce of shame.  Oldest boy( now 28) has mowed HIS own yard the past few years and told me he now understands why I never gave up the vacation from life that is mowing.  So i guess I properly handed that shit down  after all.

Cold beer, a little sweat, and sharp ass diagonals...  the good life.   Now where's that sandwich?

Haha. We take sandwiches (or salad) for lunch every weekday so we skip those for supper. You're right though, it's those little things that have kept us best friends for a long long time. He's a good man.

16 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

When my younger brother was finally old enough to mow, he intentionally screwed it up and scalped the lawn so badly that he was excused from lawn duties forever.  Fast forward 40 years and he’s still a manipulative asshole.

• Haha 4