Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

12 minutes ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

Good thing I still have all my Y2K supplies

So I have about 3,000 iodine pills from the Fukushima disaster period.  Will they help?  I figure that that was for radiation from Japan, and this is from China, which is close by, so seems likely.

Also willing to sell - make me an offer.  Will take tree fiddy.

4 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

I wonder if they are actually confirming new cases as coronavirus or assuming anyone with close symptoms most likely has it.  If the treatment options are the same for this or regular flu, does it really matter which one people have?  I understand that testing people in different countries or cities is a different matter.

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I wonder if they are actually confirming new cases as coronavirus or assuming anyone with close symptoms most likely has it.  If the treatment options are the same for this or regular flu, does it really matter which one people have?  I understand that testing people in different countries or cities is a different matter.

I think they're just slowly releasing the already confirmed numbers to prevent hysteria.

1 minute ago, Liquor and Poker said:

So I have about 3,000 iodine pills from the Fukushima disaster period.  Will they help?  I figure that that was for radiation from Japan, and this is from China, which is close by, so seems likely.

Also willing to sell - make me an offer.  Will take tree fiddy.

careful.  you just locked in the value of your stash that could come up in lawsuits.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Tamiflu and Xofluza do not help with the coronavirus. Treatments are to prevent secondary lung infections and the other stuff that hospitals do for the flu (hydration, keeping temperature down, keeping airways open, etc.). They have tried steroids for the primary lung infection with limited success (I think symptoms improve but mortality may increase). Some of the HIV medications seem to help but there is limited data.

Latest numbers look like this is picking up steam.

BNO Newsroom
@BNODesk
Coronavirus update:
- 7,811 confirmed cases worldwide
- 12,167 suspected cases
- 170 fatalities
- 1,370 in serious/critical condition
- 124 treated and released
- All regions of China reporting cases
- 17 countries reporting cases

On 1/28/2020 at 8:07 PM, atomheartbevo said:

This was posted a few days ago.   The infected number is decently accurate (but most think it will level off soon).   The mortality rate is way off though, and continues to drop   

spacer.png

Good news everybody! We're running ahead of forecast.  March madness is going to be cray cray

I'm good as I strapped on my hazmat suite and oxygen tanks. 
Though it does make fapping a little tricky and my clients find the suit disruptive in meetings.
I read that last sentence after writing... Should modify given the softballs it's lobbing up... but I'm going all in. Do your worst Surly.
Who are we to judge you.
  • Haha 1

Base on the out break of African Swine fever in the Chinese pork industry that was reportedly contained and culled and now estimations are that roughly half of the entire Chinese pork industry has been infected. It should be safe to assume that the number of cases in 10X the amount of the official Chinese numbers

45 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Base on the out break of African Swine fever in the Chinese pork industry that was reportedly contained and culled and now estimations are that roughly half of the entire Chinese pork industry has been infected. It should be safe to assume that the number of cases in 10X the amount of the official Chinese numbers

huh.gif

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Casual Encounter said:

I might just start coughing on everyone who’s wearing a dust mask in public.

Just walk up to them and say “why are you bothering with that mask?  Back in early January when I was doing an inspection of our main plant in China, people were wearing those damn things, but it did me no good - I caught a case of that there walking pneumonia that i haven’t been able to shake, and if it gets any worse, I’m going to have to go down to the Walgreens and see if their nurse practitioner lady can give me something for it.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Just walk up to them and say “why are you bothering with that mask?  Back in early January when I was doing an inspection of our main plant in China, people were wearing those damn things, but it did me no good - I caught a case of that there walking pneumonia that i haven’t been able to shake, and if it gets any worse, I’m going to have to go down to the Walgreens and see if their nurse practitioner lady can give me something for it.”

replace plant with whorehouse. I mean this is the Surl right? We know how kinky this group can be with no judgement. 

7 hours ago, Bevo said:

Tamiflu and Xofluza do not help with the coronavirus. Treatments are to prevent secondary lung infections and the other stuff that hospitals do for the flu (hydration, keeping temperature down, keeping airways open, etc.). They have tried steroids for the primary lung infection with limited success (I think symptoms improve but mortality may increase). Some of the HIV medications seem to help but there is limited data.

So, Bevo's post spurred some thought processes for me.  It sounds like this virus has a particularly keen effect on the lungs.  Has there been any correlation drawn between the severity of the virus and the notoriously shitty air quality in most major Chinese cities?  I mean, if the pulmonary system of literally millions (billions?) of Chinese is already compromised by the place they unfortunately live, is it really surprising that all the deaths have been in China, and nothing other than hospitalization in all the other countries?

While, we're at it, two other questions for those better educated than I:
1. What's the average recovery time after symptoms appear?  I've seen 1 week, but I've never seen anything official.

2. After recovery, is the victim/patient now immune from further infections? Or is this a virus that has can't have an immunity built up to it?

Edited by Buffsoldier
  • Like 2

It’s inevitable that the virus will spread widely across the US and the world.  Practice good hygiene and your odds of getting it are low. And hopefully areas outside of your control, like food prep, will also keep sick people away.

I admit that reports of no-symptoms contagious people are alarming. Have US medical experts confirmed those reports?

20 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It’s inevitable that the virus will spread widely across the US and the world.  Practice good hygiene and your odds of getting it are low. And hopefully areas outside of your control, like food prep, will also keep sick people away.

I admit that reports of no-symptoms contagious people are alarming. Have US medical experts confirmed those reports?

Have not seen any, but I trust the Japanese to have their shit together on this one. 

Also- 

The Coast Smeralda was placed on lockdown in the port of Civitavecchia when its captain told the harbourmaster and coast guard chiefs a husband and wife from Hong Kong were being held in isolation in the on-board hospital with flu-like symptoms such as high temperatures and breathing difficulties. Around 6,000 fellow passengers plus 1,000 crew members have been refused permission to leave ship.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1235512/Cruise-news-coronavirus-warning-italy-ship-outbreak-latest-Civitavecchia

8 hours ago, Buffsoldier said:

So, Bevo's post spurred some thought processes for me.  It sounds like this virus has a particularly keen effect on the lungs.  Has there been any correlation drawn between the severity of the virus and the notoriously shitty air quality in most major Chinese cities?  I mean, if the pulmonary system of literally millions (billions?) of Chinese is already compromised by the place they unfortunately live, is it really surprising that all the deaths have been in China, and nothing other than hospitalization in all the other countries?

While, we're at it, two other questions for those better educated than I:
1. What's the average recovery time after symptoms appear?  I've seen 1 week, but I've never seen anything official.

2. After recovery, is the victim/patient now immune from further infections? Or is this a virus that has can't have an immunity built up to it?

The Chinese have some serious air quality issues, and many smoke like chimneys as well.   So yeah, I’ve been wondering about that - we have 120 confirmed cases outside of China, seems like we should have had a death or two.   And almost all of their deaths have been older folks.  And Wuhan has a shit ton of manufacturing.    

On #1, I’ve seen varying estimates - they have to test negative twice over a certain amount of time, but I’m not sure on the timing.  Some talking head doctor was saying we are about to see a huge jump in the number of recovered, based on all of the mild cases from mid-January clearing up, it’s just that there is X amount of time needed between negative tests.  

7 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Reason #27480018461890164417930 I am never setting foot on a cruise ship.

Can you imagine being stuck on a cruise ship with 6000 panic stricken fat fucks wilding in the hallways. I'd probably beg any grandpa I could find to hold me out the observation deck windows. Fuck that.

Edited by Blotto
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Can you imagine being stuck on a cruise ship with 6000 panic stricken fat fucks wilding in the hallways. I'd probably beg any grandpa I could find if to hold me out the observation deck windows. Fuck that.

lol.  Been on many cruises with the kids and friends.  One we bolted one to the back-end of a Florida vacation.  Didn't realize it was spring break for much of the east coast.  JFC it was miserable.  Douchy frat fucks everwhere and big tubs of goo wearing jorts and sports jerseys.  One night we're in the room and every 'bro' had their room doors open blaring Florida Georgia line as they got ready for the evening.  Whole God damn place smelled like Drakkar and body spray.  Think of Jester on a Friday night.  Doors open.  People going up and down the hall.  

Some fuckhead even threw up outside our room at 2am.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Can you imagine being stuck on a cruise ship with 6000 panic stricken fat fucks wilding in the hallways. I'd probably beg any grandpa I could find if to hold me out the observation deck windows. Fuck that.

Especially if you got one of those bargain 75sq ft inside cabins on the lower deck without a window.  If you want this thing to be over, you're not going to go out and mingle with the plague-infested crowd.

lol.  Been on many cruises with the kids and friends.  One we bolted one to the back-end of a Florida vacation.  Didn't realize it was spring break for much of the east coast.  JFC it was miserable.  Douchy frat fucks everwhere and big tubs of goo wearing jorts and sports jerseys.  One night we're in the room and every 'bro' had their room doors open blaring Florida Georgia line as they got ready for the evening.  Whole God damn place smelled like Drakkar and body spray.  Think of Jester on a Friday night.  Doors open.  People going up and down the hall.  

Yea that was my bad
  • Like 2

Just now, BabaYaga said:

The only one we ever did stopped in Cozumel as the first stop.  They somehow managed to sell about 2 dozen otherwise-unsold dozen cabins to a chartered group of Baylor and TCU spring breakers who got off permanently in Cozumel after the first night.  That first day was hilarious - all these awkward kids who had never been unsupervised before.  Like watching high-school-freshman-only keg party on a boat.

If we'd have had to stay with them in quarantine it would have gone all Lord of the Flies in a hurry.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Also- 

The Coast Smeralda was placed on lockdown in the port of Civitavecchia when its captain told the harbourmaster and coast guard chiefs a husband and wife from Hong Kong were being held in isolation in the on-board hospital with flu-like symptoms such as high temperatures and breathing difficulties. Around 6,000 fellow passengers plus 1,000 crew members have been refused permission to leave ship.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1235512/Cruise-news-coronavirus-warning-italy-ship-outbreak-latest-Civitavecchia

That sounds like a circle of Hell

The math on the confirmed number of cases and lethality has pretty much blown away the initial numbers regarding both lethality and severity of infection.

There are all sorts of concerns that they are purposely suppressing the official  cause of death in cases in an attempt to hopefully limit both the local and global panic it would cause.

At some point, especially if the death toll and number of infected follow the currents exponential rate, you will have to see large scale shutdown and quarantine of most of mainland China. As terrifying as this is from a human safety standpoint, a longterm quarantine (even something as short as 4 weeks) will cause an insane level of supply chain disruption that will heavily impact the global economy and tank the Chinese economy, which would more than likely set off the impending collapse of their over leveraged banking system.

Russia and N Korea have both closed off traffic of people (but not goods so far) on their shared borders. If you see them announce that all crossings are closed, (ie no goods as well) prepare for this to escalate quickly.  

• Like 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away