Jump to content
InkaUtexas

DT: COVID-19 - NO POLITICS ALLOWED

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Places like NY and NJ have 30+% positive test rates, the virus is not out of control here in Texas

I'm really hoping that is true. If so, the major population centers may have shutdown in time to keep this manageable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

I'm really hoping that is true. If so, the major population centers may have shutdown in time to keep this manageable. 

I think so, all we need to do is slow this thing down for a few weeks and everything should go much smoother than whats happening in New York/New Jersey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sorry but I didn’t see a thread dedicated to the austin lockdown and I want to know if I can take my dog to zilker tomorrow morning without getting tasered by a team of swat officers in hazmat suits.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

And certain everyday citizens apparently don’t think these orders apply to them. We walked our dogs today and see people around the neighborhood standing in front yards socializing. People seem to think it’s okay for their kids to play with other kids because their friends don’t look sick or what? They are still oblivious to the asymptomatic yet contagious incubation period? They think it’s okay in small groups because apparently COVID-19 only spreads amongst big groups? WTF people

For those of us following this thread since January and February, we’ve seen plenty of examples of people getting hit hard in all age groups, healthy and ye olde underlying causes alike. 

Your typical American has probably only seen highlights.   China, Italy, the cruise ships, can give off the impression that it only infects or  hurts the olds.    The stats can give off a false sense of security.  Plenty believe they won’t catch it because hey, only a thousand folks have it in Texas.

It'll be interesting to see how these stats hold up here in Travis County as testing increases.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/travis-county/56-of-travis-county-covid-19-patients-are-younger-than-40-hsem-says/

56% of Travis County COVID-19 patients are younger than 40, HSEM says

  • 0-9 — 1 case
  • 10-19 — 1 case
  • 20-29 — 27 cases
  • 30-39 — 26 cases
  • 40-49 — 15 cases
  • 50-59 — 14 cases
  • 60-69 — 10 cases
  • 70-79 — 3 cases
  • 80 and up — 1 case

Now obviously, most of those are not hospitalized, and that’s only a 100 cases or so, but that will double soon enough (and hell, we know plenty who have had it never even knew it), and there are always plenty of people who have those underlying issues.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, futureman said:

sorry but I didn’t see a thread dedicated to the austin lockdown and I want to know if I can take my dog to zilker tomorrow morning without getting tasered by a team of swat officers in hazmat suits.  

They are keeping the parks and trails open for now.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

In Texas, only 5.4% of tests are positive, thats almost a national low

thats cause we're like, good I don't really like my fucking neighbors anyway and stay off my lawn.  half the state probably went to their lake house or ranch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Hmmm said:

celebrities and COVID-19.

 Many travel extensively by air, pass through plenty of hotels, airports, etc,  All the NBA positives, just need one or two, and well, there’s a reason they are constantly mopping the courts.  

And you have situations like this

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/europe/austria-ski-resort-ischgl-coronavirus-intl/index.html

Quote

On March 7 -- three days after Iceland's warning -- a 36-year-old bartender at Kitzloch tested positive. Twenty-two of the bartender's contacts were quarantined, 15 of whom have since tested positive for Covid-19, the provincial government confirmed in press releases.

Oh college days...

Quote

"We realized that they exchanged saliva because they were playing beer pong," using their mouths, he said, although he did not single out any specific bars where the game took place. The game involved spitting ping pong balls out of their mouths into beer glasses, and those balls were then reused by other people.

Quote

"That means that there was at least one patient who had a very high viral load, and while most people will infect two to three others on average, these people can transmit the disease to 40, 50, or 80 people." Redlberger-Fritz said that this may have cut the lead time for authorities to react by several days.

And we just had spring break along the Texas coast. 

Back in January or February, a bunch of us in this very thread were thinking either Wuhan was completely overrun (narrator: it was) or that there were one or more super spreaders working at the Wuhan airport (narrator: there were) in roles where they directly interacted with folks, and passing it on who knows how many travelers.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Austin ISD Parents, check your emails

”In response to the Stay Home - Work Safe Order issued by the City of Austin and Travis county, AISD schools are closed through April 13. Even though our schools are not open, we will facilitate continuous learning opportunities for our students. Austin ISD staff and families should prepare for schools to be closed for a longer period of time.”

They are working on the online education stuff, but it’s a nightmare to switch an entire pre-k through 12 system to online.  Wife being in education, and tons of teacher friends, and speculation is all over, including ideally things opening up on the 14th, and just extending a few weeks iinto the summer, all the way to online only for rest of the year.  I do know they are having teachers reach out to the kids and their parents, and they are offering optional “learning opportunities” (aka doing your normal homework, but through Google Docs or whatever).     I do know UT is working with its teaching/etc. students who were in the schools for student teaching, etc. to make sure they could complete their requirements   

@Larry T. Spider Probably has more info.  Or maybe it’s secret, so not.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow.. US saw a 2100 daily case drop from Monday.


Deaths spiked tho 90ish


1point3 uses CDT and worldo uses GMT. Might have some overlapping late reported cases since they have 2k more cases for Tuesday than 1point3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Linda Hildago at, 28 years of age seems extremely rude.

I have no clue about her policies and frankly don't care.

Wheel. Motherfucking. House.

DkaNGqwUUAAdga1.thumb.jpeg.a195aafae09fe093566915b81c5f7f56.jpeg

 

Username checks out.  Would not.  Broads in their 20's who look like they are in their late 40's no bueno.  She's past her prime at 28.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, the school closing here in San Diego is not entirely expiring on April 6th.

Sounds like the new plan is to train all the teachers how to use Zoom, get everyone online for a few more weeks, and then school will start April 26 --

-- still remote.

So basically the students and teachers are getting in touch with each other now, and then 3 weeks of "trial period" to work out the kinks, then home ed, baby.

Interesting times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just found out a friend of mine died a few days ago from an uncertain cause. He was working as a Lyft driver in Dallas, but was in Colorado buying some edibles before his trip back to the Philippines. He was 50 and made a bundle shorting the market the past few weeks, and was going to retire and marry a 20 year old Filipina. I had urged him to quit driving 10 days ago.

I guess I will hear if it was the virus eventually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fort Hood figuring out who is essential and who can work/stay at home.  

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200324/fort-hood-shifts-to-lsquoessential-staffingrsquo-in-response-to-coronavirus-outbreak

The soldiers is in the 3rd Cavalry, and a part of III Corps, but not from the same unit that came back from Korea in late a February.   And said soldier lives off post, so will be interesting to see where he picked it up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

So, the school closing here in San Diego is not entirely expiring on April 6th.

Sounds like the new plan is to train all the teachers how to use Zoom, get everyone online for a few more weeks, and then school will start April 26 --

-- still remote.

So basically the students and teachers are getting in touch with each other now, and then 3 weeks of "trial period" to work out the kinks, then home ed, baby.

Interesting times.

Yep, they are doing Zoom here in Austin, at least some schools.   It’s going to be damned tough for some parts of Austin, but the district does have Chromebooks and tablets, maybe even enough for the kids who don’t have computers at home, and they are trying to work out internet service for those kids.   I’m guessing somebody like Spectrum will step in as well to help.

Speaking of partners, HEB has been working with AISD  to get meals to kids who need them.   HEB continues to be amazing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Fort Hood figuring out who is essential and who can work/stay at home.  

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200324/fort-hood-shifts-to-lsquoessential-staffingrsquo-in-response-to-coronavirus-outbreak

The soldiers is in the 3rd Cavalry, and a part of III Corps, but not from the same unit that came back from Korea in late a February.   And said soldier lives off post, so will be interesting to see where he picked it up.  

 

The interesting discussions are what is being planned downstream if CV doesn't break/ turn for improvement.  Like some unprecedented, ho-lee shit stuff...  I  hope it never happens.

 

Edited by Iceman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yep, they are doing Zoom here in Austin, at least some schools.   It’s going to be damned tough for some parts of Austin, but the district does have Chromebooks and tablets, maybe even enough for the kids who don’t have computers at home, and they are trying to work out internet service for those kids.   I’m guessing somebody like Spectrum will step in as well to help.

Speaking of partners, HEB has been working with AISD  to get meals to kids who need them.   HEB continues to be amazing.  

San Marcos starts back Monday. Rumor from some teachers is most of April will be online and there is a good chance HS will not go back. Makes sense. They go back for AP exams which college board already said are online this year, and then finals. Spectrum is working with the ISD for free access for kids. Hot Spots, etc. Lunches are rocking for free, kids still need to go and pick them up. But the Food Bank is now involved. HEB and Target are kicking ass. 

America Bitches. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding is that the schools are still doing lunches in order to maintain the reception of funding.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

 

Either way, it's cool to see the food still going out to students.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Iceman said:

My understanding is that the schools are still doing lunches in order to maintain the reception of funding.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

 

Either way, it's cool to see the food still going out to students.

San Marcos added a hotel tax and with that and federal/state assistance provides breakfast and lunch to any student. It is not the best, but sure is better than nothing. 

One thing we were talking about is the school bus drivers were told they will paid for the year no matter what. Transportation is already budgeted. Seems like that could be a distribution system for kids who cannot get to one of the locations. Parents work, no car, whatever. A good time to look forward and find creative solutions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RayDog said:

I just found out a friend of mine died a few days ago from an uncertain cause. He was working as a Lyft driver in Dallas, but was in Colorado buying some edibles before his trip back to the Philippines. He was 50 and made a bundle shorting the market the past few weeks, and was going to retire and marry a 20 year old Filipina. I had urged him to quit driving 10 days ago.

I guess I will hear if it was the virus eventually.

Damn that sucks, sorry to hear that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

They are keeping the parks and trails open for now.   

The Trail Foundation is urging residents to stay off the trail.  Non-social-distancing fuckers ruining it for everyone.

Quote

After city and county officials made the unprecedented decision to issue shelter in place orders for Austin and Travis and Williamson counties, many locals are wondering if the city's most popular hike-and-bike trail will remain open. The answer is ... technically yes, but that doesn't mean you should use it.

On March 24, just hours before Austin's stay home/work smart order goes into effect, the Trail Foundation issued a press release urging locals to stay off the Butler Hike-and-Bike Trail. The foundation admittedly doesn't have the authority to shut down the trail, but the nonprofit is urging locals to stick closer to home for the next few weeks. 

"The Trail Foundation recommends that you stay in and exercise as close to your own home as possible," says the release, adding that parts of the trail make it tricky to keep the suggested six feet of social distancing. 

“According to our trail counters, usage on the trail has not decreased in the past two weeks,” says the foundation's CEO, Heidi Anderson, in a release. “And as local media has reported and we’ve observed, many people are not practicing social distancing and other critical steps to avoid spreading the coronavirus.” 

Austin residents urged to stay off hike-and-bike trail during COVID-19 shutdown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Comparing “tests per capita” and “% of tests positive” seems like a waste of time.

this.

Jersey was said to be 90% positives.  It's obvious they are being more selective concerning symptoms and who gets tested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Has the US caught up yet on testing per capita?

This data is a few days old. Germany testing high.

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-testing-source-data

I'm sorry, that chart is unreliable, and biased. America is not listed near the top of that chart. It's way way down there as The United Sates, almost last god dammit...  meh....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Iceman said:

 

The interesting discussions are what is being planned downstream if CV doesn't break/ turn for improvement.  Like some unprecedented, ho-lee shit stuff...  I  hope it never happens.

 

Can you expand on this statement.  I am intrigued.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll mention here as well though I also posted in the Downtown Projects thread.

Construction sites have shut down in Austin.  I saw a bunch of construction workers walking away from their jobsites this morning.  I asked a guy and he confirmed they were being sent home.

Edited by Somnio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

our office has been informally shut down for 3-4 weeks now. 

 

1 dude in my group has worked at the office every single day.  (when i stopped by to pick up my things, he was about the only person in the building).

 

today - his 2nd day working from home - he emailed us to say that hes feeling woozy, dizzy, feverish, etc etc etc.  what fucking irony    (is that what irony means?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

our office has been informally shut down for 3-4 weeks now. 

 

1 dude in my group has worked at the office every single day.  (when i stopped by to pick up my things, he was about the only person in the building).

 

today - his 2nd day working from home - he emailed us to say that hes feeling woozy, dizzy, feverish, etc etc etc.  what fucking irony    (is that what irony means?)

If he was the only one working in the office, isn't that just as effective as working from home? I don't know, I'm admittedly an idiot. Maybe you gave it to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Hozz said:

This thread has proven to be a prolific vehicle for people to nominate themselves for ignore.

Question for those capable of talking about the virus without predicting burning bodies in the streets...why didn't anyone freak out over H1N1/Swine Flu in 2009-10 the way people are freaking out now?  https://www.msn.com/en-xl/news/other/h1n1-vs-novel-coronovirus-how-do-they-compare/ar-BB10vk2M according to that it killed 12K in the US, including 6K in a month from mid October 2009 to mid November 2009.  60 million infected 275K hospitalized in a year.  And I don't remember anyone closing anything or it dominating the headlines 24/7.  What is different or what has changed since then?

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

The last two days San Antonio has jumped 12 cases a day just a week ago it was 5.


2 confirmed deaths for San Antonio now.

in case it hasn't been said elsewhere - SA has community acquired cases currently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

If he was the only one working in the office, isn't that just as effective as working from home? I don't know, I'm admittedly an idiot. Maybe you gave it to him.

I heard a report yesterday that they have found “traces” of the virus 17 days after cruise ship was de-boarded. There was no explanation if still contagious. 
 

Hope a surly scientist can explain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...