2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

55 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

This jumped out at me last night too. There were many opportunities for Trump to paint Biden as a washed up gaffe machine. TONS. But Trump either immediately launched off into his own tangent instead of addressing Biden's response (many of which were very attackable), or like you said, just wouldn't shut up long enough to let Biden make gaffes.

On multiple occasions Trump had Biden shook, and had Trump just shut the hell up, it would have produced a really hard-hitting video clip. One example was when he asked Biden what cops supported him. Biden clearly didn't have an answer but Trump just kept saying "none, you have nobody" and didn't let him attempt to answer. Moment lost. 

Trump's ego has run out of things to consume, and has now started eating itself and its host. Narcissism is a hell of a thing.

Regarding cop support, I noticed that too. And while Trump threw Biden a lifeline, the blame is really on Biden's debate prep team. Biden does have some law enforcement endorsements. He should have had some names ready to go. 

But the double standard on gaffes is severe. Trump outright lied about getting an endorsement from the Portland area sheriff and got a Twitter rebuke for it. 

What I dont get is how we got to this place where one candidate needs to be largely mistake free and the other candidate can shit on the floor with no repercussions. And if the former candidate makes that single mistake, well he is "washed up", so we are gonna vote for the guy rolling around in his own shit instead and is "washed up" times 1000.  You know, I just can't stand being around a guy that accidentally elbowed me and gave me a bruise so I'm going to choose to be around a guy that intentionally shoots me in the face instead. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

It's because Trump is indefensible so his supporters can't have any standards for his actions and behavior.  They are hypocrites though, so they have no problem holding Democrats to standards that Trump has never been able to meet on his best day on this planet.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Regarding cop support, I noticed that too. And while Trump threw Biden a lifeline, the blame is really on Biden's debate prep team. Biden does have some law enforcement endorsements. He should have had some names ready to go. 

Thought Biden should have just said "Honestly I don't know. I don't have the list memorized. I'll tweet some out after we're done here". But meh, wasn't a big deal either way. 

RASMUSSEN POLL OUT OF NEW HAMPSHIRE! Aka fat orange fuckers favorite pollster!

i guess that Nuremberg hate rally a few months ago didn’t pay off for him. I remember when he was talking about winning New Hampshire, Minnesota, New Mexico, and Nevada this time. What happened to that??

what a LOSER!

Edited by Voldemort86
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

But the double standard on gaffes is severe. Trump outright lied about getting an endorsement from the Portland area sheriff and got a Twitter rebuke for it. 

What I dont get is how we got to this place where one candidate needs to be largely mistake free and the other candidate can shit on the floor with no repercussions. And if the former candidate makes that single mistake, well he is "washed up", so we are gonna vote for the guy rolling around in his own shit instead and is "washed up" times 1000.  You know, I just can't stand being around a guy that accidentally elbowed me and gave me a bruise so I'm going to choose to be around a guy that intentionally shoots me in the face instead. 

I don't think it's a double standard, at least not for reasonable people. I think that Trump being a gaffe machine and a liar is just baked into our consciousness and there's not much reason to call it out. In every sentence.

I know for me personally if I'm ever saying "Biden is a gaffe machine" you can just assume it's epilogued with a silent "(but Trump is 10x worse)".  Or "Biden is washed up" is always followed by a silent "(and Trump is washed up and fat and lazy)". 

I'm just tired of saying it.  Doesn't mean it's not always there.

Trump supporters and "undecideds", yeah. But those people are stupid.

Edited by BradInATX

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Your number 1 point is what I literally shake my head at every day for 3.5 years.  The damage to the office, traditions, norms and body politic are almost incalculable. It’s stunning to me, still, that he is the POTUS. 

One minor point.

The damage was already there. Not in terms of decorum, but in terms of what the presidency can do. Trump has merely exploited the insane power beyond what the Constitution originally had that Congresses over the decades have given over to the presidency.

The danger that we'd elect someone unhinged has always been there. And what's scary is how few checks remain. Even if Biden wins in a landslide, Trump doesn't have to step down if he doesn't want to; he has a path where he can remain president.

It shouldn't terrify you enough that Trump might be able to do this; it should terrify you that ANYONE could do this.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I want one very R state on Election Day.  Gimme AK, gimme KS, gimme UT. I’ll take SC, GA but all the talk about them Will kinda ruin the surprise.  

I want Kansas because we would also get a senate seat. the guy in Alaska is an independent and nobody gives a shit about Alaska and their 2 am results anyway. 

I want that big blue spot in the middle of the fucking map..... Kansas. 

30 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

One minor point.

The damage was already there. Not in terms of decorum, but in terms of what the presidency can do. Trump has merely exploited the insane power beyond what the Constitution originally had that Congresses over the decades have given over to the presidency.

The danger that we'd elect someone unhinged has always been there. And what's scary is how few checks remain. Even if Biden wins in a landslide, Trump doesn't have to step down if he doesn't want to; he has a path where he can remain president.

It shouldn't terrify you enough that Trump might be able to do this; it should terrify you that ANYONE could do this.

Very, very, very much this.

Congress us utterly broken.  They have ceded so much power to the executive that they are functionally BEGGING for us to descend into dictatorship.  While this certainly pre-dated Trump, and Dem congresses carry significant responsibility, it reached its shameless apex under Trump.  GOP congressman openly saying they "work for the president."

But even if we dial that back, the fatal flaw of an open, democratic system of government is this: to some degree, it must rely on trust, honesty, and respect for norms and unwritten rules.  All it takes is a movement that is unwilling to follow those, and we see our system for what it is -- just some ideas, written on paper that can be shredded.  And the GOP has decided to do just that.

1 hour ago, Pasken said:

The the gap between urban and rural communities is widening and we need to stop thinking in terms of red and blue states. 

I think one of the more effective things that social media propaganda has done is to convince people in rural America that cities are post-apocalyptic outposts of crime and sin.  They really believe that Chicago is some cautionary tale of despair.  Hell, they believe Omaha is frightening.  

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I watched that exchange and its not exactly what Santorum said. Santorum, who was critical of the President's "performance" last night said that Trump has never been willing to criticize any group that supports him regardless how vile that group is. Santorum might have used the word fair but he didn't call Trump's base, right wing extremists.

Santorum said Trump is not going to disavow his supporters regardless of who they are.  Implied in that statement is it is unreasonable to expect Trump to disavow Proud Boys, KKK, or neo-Nazis (I hate Illinois Nazis).  So Santorum was arguing for Trump standard on what is reasonable.  That Trump standard is the problem.

1 thing I noticed that is encouraging is that seemingly every poll I’ve seen has had more voters agreeing that “ the Supreme Court seat should be filled after the election by the new president”.

Voters are smarter than I give them credit for. Most people seem to remember what happened in 2016 and aren’t fond of the republicans hypocrisy. I’m really hoping it hurts them at the polls because it’s all we have. I know we can’t stop Barrett.

Just now, Red Five said:

So Biden is closer to winning Texas, South Carolina, and Alaska than Trump is to winning Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin? Lulz. 

Yes and the media is largely silent about it.  Imagine if Trump were only down 2 points in CA and Biden was out of money?  They'd be hyperventilating.  

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

So Biden is closer to winning Texas, South Carolina, and Alaska than Trump is to winning Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin? Lulz. 

No - they are all about equal (Trump's chances in the first three are the same as Biden's in the last three). That SC poll is a clear outlier.

1 hour ago, Tuco said:

I think one of the more effective things that social media propaganda has done is to convince people in rural America that cities are post-apocalyptic outposts of crime and sin.  They really believe that Chicago is some cautionary tale of despair.  Hell, they believe Omaha is frightening.  

I'm helping a lady move from Chicago.  She said she doesn't want to catch a bullet going to work or leaving her house.  She's 67 years old.  I asked her what she was looking for in a house and she said "nowhere in the ghetto, nowhere that isn't safe that I'm worried about getting shot".  She told me 3 times she didn't want the ghetto. I was like- got it- no ghetto.  We can make that happen, I promise.  I was trying to tell her that there's probably very very very few neighborhoods in Houston that she would find unsafe and she was skeptical.  I get the sense from the stats that Chicago is probably a really big problem in a lot of places.  And you can find trouble in any big city of course.  But I think on balance America is a pretty safe place and you will be fine almost anywhere abiding by- don't want none then don't start none.  But yeah, the amount of people freaked out about cities that live out in the sticks is amusing and naive.  

1 hour ago, TexasEd said:

Santorum said Trump is not going to disavow his supporters regardless of who they are.  Implied in that statement is it is unreasonable to expect Trump to disavow Proud Boys, KKK, or neo-Nazis (I hate Illinois Nazis).  So Santorum was arguing for Trump standard on what is reasonable.  That Trump standard is the problem.

I didn't see the exchange but Santo flamed Trump in the segment I saw- and said if he was an elected official anywhere on the ballot he'd be furious with Trump's performance. 

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I'm helping a lady move from Chicago.  She said she doesn't want to catch a bullet going to work or leaving her house.  She's 67 years old.  I asked her what she was looking for in a house and she said "nowhere in the ghetto, nowhere that isn't safe that I'm worried about getting shot".  She told me 3 times she didn't want the ghetto. I was like- got it- no ghetto.  We can make that happen, I promise.  I was trying to tell her that there's probably very very very few neighborhoods in Houston that she would find unsafe and she was skeptical.  I get the sense from the stats that Chicago is probably a really big problem in a lot of places.  And you can find trouble in any big city of course.  But I think on balance America is a pretty safe place and you will be fine almost anywhere abiding by- don't want none then don't start none.  But yeah, the amount of people freaked out about cities that live out in the sticks is amusing and naive.  

Just before the Covid Times, my associate and I ventured to Fannin County for a hearing.  It was a 1:30 hearing, so we had lunch at some little place there in Bonham.  As we're sitting there, we happen to overhear one guy talking quite loudly to another guy at another booth about his trips to Downtown Dallas.  It's incredibly dangerous, you know.  He's describing one particular spot, and it immediately strikes me that I know exactly the corner that he's talking about.  It's caddy-corner to my old office.  I walked by there every day at all hours.  It's decidedly not dangerous.  But to him, it was little short of Fallujah.

So he continues on.  Somewhere in this hellscape of Downtown Dallas, he encountered a homeless guy who was aggressively panhandling.  That tracks.  That'll happen.  But this guy was shook.  And, in his words, "it was a good thing I was strapped."  First off, who says that?  But then he continues that he drew on the guy and chased him for a block.

At this point, my associate and I went from being mildly amused at this guy's pussydom to being genuinely alarmed.  You pulled a gun on a guy for asking you for money?  I mean, holy fuck.  That's aggravated assault.  And you're bragging about it at the local diner.

So yeah--those people are off.

• Hook 'Em 1

an interesting thing happened. i was receiving 7-10 increasingly desperate/angry texts every day from the trump campaign admonishing me (well, actually the name they were texting wasn't mine) for not donating and offering an EMERGENCY 5X MATCH. 

then yesterday when the story broke about the campaign manager stealing from the campaign the texts stopped completely. not a single text, after 45+ days of 7-10 every day. hmmm.

10 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Just before the Covid Times, my associate and I ventured to Fannin County for a hearing.  It was a 1:30 hearing, so we had lunch at some little place there in Bonham.  As we're sitting there, we happen to overhear one guy talking quite loudly to another guy at another booth about his trips to Downtown Dallas.  It's incredibly dangerous, you know.  He's describing one particular spot, and it immediately strikes me that I know exactly the corner that he's talking about.  It's caddy-corner to my old office.  I walked by there every day at all hours.  It's decidedly not dangerous.  But to him, it was little short of Fallujah.

So he continues on.  Somewhere in this hellscape of Downtown Dallas, he encountered a homeless guy who was aggressively panhandling.  That tracks.  That'll happen.  But this guy was shook.  And, in his words, "it was a good thing I was strapped."  First off, who says that?  But then he continues that he drew on the guy and chased him for a block.

At this point, my associate and I went from being mildly amused at this guy's pussydom to being genuinely alarmed.  You pulled a gun on a guy for asking you for money?  I mean, holy fuck.  That's aggravated assault.  And you're bragging about it at the local diner.

So yeah--those people are off.

Most human beings ability to adequately address risk in any given situation is terrible. Safety, money, any particular event in their life. Risk reward is a tough concept, seemingly, for most. Not my lady from talking to her- she is in a rough place and probably can’t find much safety for $1200 a month payment- but I was like yeah- no problem you can find a nice safe house in houston outskirts for 160k. You will be fine. She has a hard time believing that. 

26 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

But yeah, the amount of people freaked out about cities that live out in the sticks is amusing and naive.  

The worldview they have is hopelessly narrow and nearsighted.  These are people who, when we tell them we are doing something like visiting Paris, warn us away -- "you can't go there!  It's too dangerous!  There's terrorist attacks all the time!"  A rebuttal of "you, umm, do realize that statistically, I am taking a greater risk driving my car the 90 miles I have to cover to visit you, right?"  Same thing about visiting any major city -- "they murder everyone there!"  No they don't.  If I avoid a few particularly hazardous blocks, and refrain from engaging in the drug trade, my chances of getting murdered in City X are about the same as they are in Peaceful Small Town Y.

We have manipulated and sold our rural population a fantasy -- they live in REAL America, where it's safe, and everything is great.  Bullshit.  Rural America has the same problems as everyone else -- poverty, despair, addiction, and in many cases, they are worse than in urban areas.  It's fucking twisted, and it's really harmful to THEM.  Because when you're in a shitty situation, but you've been convinced that it's paradise, then you will accept all manner of shitty outcomes, because "it's better than living in a hellhole like NEW YORK CITY!"

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, thepop said:

Lol

How is it that Rasmussen shifts 7 points in a week, but all the other polls have consistently maintain anywhere from a 6 to 10 point lead for months now. Makes you kinda wonder about Rasmussen, eh?

Trumps case that if he loses this election it was rigged would be stronger (albeit still evil) if he was at least running neck and neck. i dont think one national poll has ever had him in the lead at any given point against Biden.

It's just crazy that anyone would believe the horseshit he is spewing, but alas..

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The worldview they have is hopelessly narrow and nearsighted.  These are people who, when we tell them we are doing something like visiting Paris, warn us away -- "you can't go there!  It's too dangerous!  There's terrorist attacks all the time!"  A rebuttal of "you, umm, do realize that statistically, I am taking a greater risk driving my car the 90 miles I have to cover to visit you, right?"  Same thing about visiting any major city -- "they murder everyone there!"  No they don't.  If I avoid a few particularly hazardous blocks, and refrain from engaging in the drug trade, my chances of getting murdered in City X are about the same as they are in Peaceful Small Town Y.

We have manipulated and sold our rural population a fantasy -- they live in REAL America, where it's safe, and everything is great.  Bullshit.  Rural America has the same problems as everyone else -- poverty, despair, addiction, and in many cases, they are worse than in urban areas.  It's fucking twisted, and it's really harmful to THEM.  Because when you're in a shitty situation, but you've been convinced that it's paradise, then you will accept all manner of shitty outcomes, because "it's better than living in a hellhole like NEW YORK CITY!"

New York City?  Get a rope. One of my favorite commercials growing up.

Yeah, my wife doesn't want to go to the holy lands b/c of "all the terrorism" Yeah, ok babe- it's still like a pretty infintesimally small chance we are going to get got-and if we do I won't care anyway, so...".  I guess I will do that someday on my own, perhaps.  Same with Africa. She doesn't want to get eaten by a lion.  

Of course-  when I told her Joe Biden was the senator from Delaware she skeptically looked at me and said "that doesn't sound like a real place- are you sure that's a state?"  Yeah, pretty sure.  She was like- why haven't I ever heard of that then?  Me- Maybe b/c you are from Polk County and got a real substandard education?  Or never paid attention to anything school related in your life?  

I will now stop posting "stupid shit your wife says" thread material on the Presidential thread.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, yoladu said:

How is it that Rasmussen shifts 7 points in a week, but all the other polls have consistently maintain anywhere from a 6 to 10 point lead for months now. Makes you kinda wonder about Rasmussen, eh?

Trumps case that if he loses this election it was rigged would be stronger (albeit still evil) if he was at least running neck and neck. i dont think one national poll has ever had him in the lead at any given point against Biden.

It's just crazy that anyone would believe the horseshit he is spewing, but alas..

Gallup was the worst about this kind of shit. I guess now that they are out on political polling someone else has to be the clown that has a presidential race swinging 25 points or so from a wave to a trough.  

Yeah, that poll never seemed credible to me.  At all.  It was the only place that had his approval rating anywhere near break even.