My guess is that a Dem controlled Exec and Legis branch will make DC a state next year. (Note: the new state won't be called DC.)

I think every federal Republican elected official should have to live in “Obama”. Only fair. After all, he gets to live in their heads.

17 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I think every federal Republican elected official should have to live in “Obama”. Only fair. After all, he gets to live in their heads.

Pay taxes to Obama

Ironically, I imagine you saying that in a thundering bourbon-and-string-tie accent.

My favorite accent.

Fight me.

The city was basically nothingness other than the slave trading ports at Georgetown and Alexandria.  Because of that, it's always had a large black population, both slave and freedman. It's why Howard is here. Black people have always been the permanent residents of the city.  Outside of the white elite in Georgetown, the white people come and go.  The only multi-generational families are black families, which makes the lack of democracy even crueler.  Even today, most federal workers, lobbyist, lawyers, etc. live in the suburbs.  There are booming tech and non government industries which are fueling gentrification, but the concept of wealthy people willingly giving up enfranchisement (outside of the wealthy communities to the west of Rock Creek Park) to live here is something that has only been a thing in the last 15 years.
It was designed by L'enfant to look like a european capital, which has become a nightmare because the traffic circles are so goddamn dysfunctional (JUST EMMINENT DOMAIN DAVE THOMAS CIRCLE FOR FUCKS SAKE!!!).  But it was relatively pastoral for much of it's history. Livestock was grazed on the Mall well into the 20th century. It was surrounded by vibrant communities related to Maryland slave agriculture, like Hagerstown, Fredrick, and Bladensburg.  All of the legislativeand judicial functions and offices occurred in the Capitol Building itself until the 20th century.
People have to remember that the government as we conceive (i.e. Huge federal bureaucracies in ginormous marble buildings) of it didn't really come into existence until the New Deal and then even more so in the Great Society.  DC was a legislative town when Congress was in session, with the bars, restaurants, whore houses, stables, boarding houses, but it wasn't really a federal agency town before that.  So people lived here because there was livelihood that may have relied on government, but wasn't government influence full time.
As I mentioned before, the district was chosen for it's remoteness and the fact is was accessible to both the gentry of tidewater overland, and the New Englanders via sea travel.  Philadelphia was everyone's first choice, but the Quaker's inability to control armed mobs that kept hassling and attacking the founders lead them to look elsewhere.
Here's a great graphic of the growth of Capitol Hill: https://www.aoc.gov/history/capitol-hill
When I moved to DC, there was still a farm within the boundaries of the beltway north of the potomac.  It shut down about 10 years ago.
Here's a good link to DC's pastoral legacy: https://planning.dc.gov/sites/default/files/dc/sites/op/publication/attachments/Farm Estates_0.pdf

I’m ashamed I’ve never been to DC.

I really want to visit - but not till Mango Mussolini has been dragged out of town.

When I finally book my trip all you Surly DC hotshots should expect a DM from me for some advice and tips. :)

(Not that kind of tip ya pervs.)

Posted (edited)

i stumbled into that wendy's while drunkenly meandering down florida after drinking at showtime lounge.  interesting mix of hood and deaf students

Edited by elfenix

6 hours ago, elfenix said:

i stumbled into that wendy's while drunkenly meandering down florida after drinking at showtime lounge.  interesting mix of hood and deaf students

Drunk Gallaudet students always throw an interesting flavor into late night shenanigans. 

Since we have moved into DC history, I thought I'd have Great-Grandaddy Canecutter step up. Here he is in the flower of youth, when (according to lore), he worked for a bit (1880s?) for Senator Joe Wheeler (Ala.) If lore is also correct, Great-Grandaddy probably got the job because HIS daddy was on General (CSA) Joe Wheeler's staff during the war.

(Joe Wheeler was one of those guys who almost lit out for Mexico after Appomattox, but was talked out of it by his staff. So they say. To tie it in to Surly, they were from around Colbert County, which repeatedly sent invading hordes to Mexican Texas. So if you're damned good-looking and a little bit crazy, then hello cuz.)

But back to young Great-Grandaddy, if anybody wants to find where the photographer's studio was and take a selfie there, we can wrap this up in a bow.

105693234_10101670671408319_296326162856

2 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Since we have moved into DC history, I thought I'd have Great-Grandaddy Canecutter step up. Here he is in the flower of youth, when (according to lore), he worked for a bit (1880s?) for Senator Joe Wheeler (Ala.) If lore is also correct, Great-Grandaddy probably got the job because HIS daddy was on General (CSA) Joe Wheeler's staff during the war.

(Joe Wheeler was one of those guys who almost lit out for Mexico after Appomattox, but was talked out of it by his staff. So they say. To tie it in to Surly, they were from around Colbert County, which repeatedly sent invading hordes to Mexican Texas. So if you're damned good-looking and a little bit crazy, then hello cuz.)

But back to young Great-Grandaddy, if anybody wants to find where the photographer's studio was and take a selfie there, we can wrap this up in a bow.

105693234_10101670671408319_296326162856

per google maps, that address is now the canadian embassy.

mpu

Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion