SWA seems to be having a rough go of it lately

Anastasis

12 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Have heard that's the big issue facing the aviation industry -- a lack of pilots sliding over from active military flying and the advancing age of the current crop of military vet commercial airline pilots. They're gonna retire sometime. These are the guys that can handle a true emergency, not the booger-eater co-worker above who learns on simulators and never has to fly and land under duress.

Honestly, having worked with guys who were Air Force aggressor Pilots, naval aviators, helo heads, former regional jet junkies, corporate pilots and not a few cops on their second and third careers I cannot say that I don’t  see any difference between military trained pilots and civilian ones. You’re either a good stick with a cool head in adverse situations or you’re not. 

Best pilot I’ve ever flown with flew King airs for the state of Texas and isn’t now a Challenger captain. The worst was a former C-141 commander. 

4 hours ago, wood said:

Yup. Some people act like they're gonna get some kinda 5 minute warning before the sudden, unexpected turbulence hits. You know, the kind that bounces people off the ceiling. Then when the captain turns on the fasten-seat-belt sign, there's always one or two folks who act like it's just a suggestion or it's just being done to inconvenience them, so they go ahead and get up to go to the lavatory... 'cause you know, it doesn't apply to them.

And people who don't keep their kids strapped in, even just loosely ... well, they suck.

I bet these are the same people who stop when making a right onto Davis from SB Mopac. SMH

Edited by Steel Shank
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Deej said:

And being a woman, she did all that while texting. Pretty impressive.

...and putting on her makeup.

45 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Do you even Asiana driver bro?

It’s an oxygen generator. Pulling on the mask starts the chemical reaction creating O2 and heat. 

Getting sucked out isn’t a myth. I recall a BA pilot was sucked partially out of his flight deck at altitude after a mechanic reinstalled the window during maintenance with improper screws.  

Yeah, definitely not a myth. My dad had his eardrum burst flying in a Navy Super Constellation in the late 60s. The guy that got sucked out through the window that blew out wasn't so lucky.

Edited by wood

4 hours ago, Blotto said:

There's audio out now of her interaction with air traffic control. She's amazingly calm considering the situation.

https://youtu.be/fASCzgKS0Qg

Pretty interesting stuff. She's cool as a cucumber considering, but it's also pretty cool to hear the ATC  Center and Tower, Emergency Comms, & ARFF crews doing their thing. There's a lot of 'behind the scenes' radio work being done there to ensure easy coordination between ATC, Fire (ARFF), EMS, Airport PD, and the Aircraft that also requires a lot of training and cool heads. And as you can imagine, it's not at all easy to treat patients on crowded aircraft or package & remove them, even without any fire. Hell, it's still difficult even after all the healthy folks have left the plane and only a few patients remain.

Edited by wood

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

That's it.  Anyone with a modicum of training can take off, fly, and land a fully-functioning plane in bluebird weather.

That ain't what I want to pay my pilot for.  I want the SOB with icewater in his (or her) veins, who can make split-second decisions in a crisis, keep their cool the whole time, do complex math in their head while flying the plane so as to evaluate alternatives, and knows how to fly anything from a busted cropduster to a state-of-the-art Boeing.  In short, give me someone with military training, in most cases.

Give me this gal.  Give me Sully.  Give me the pilot of United 232 in Sioux City.

It took 3 pilots to "land" that plane.  Still miraculous anyone lived.

An off-duty pilot who had hitched a ride home on the flight, Denny Fitch, was sitting with the rest of the passengers when he heard an explosion in the tail engine and went to the cockpit to help. The blast cut the hydraulic lines that make controlled flight possible. Fitch got down on his knees and used all his strength to manipulate the plane's throttles, while both Haynes and Records struggled with the yoke, the steering wheel.

Fitch died this week at age 69, losing a battle with brain cancer. But on that hot summer day 23 years ago, he and the two other pilots wrenched the jet toward an Iowa airport without the hydraulics required for steering.

"I think what you had was three men desperately trying to get what control they can of the aircraft," said Jim Burnett of the National Transportation Safety Board during a news conference after the crash.

Desperate is right. The captain found that the only way to control the plane was by varying the thrust of the engines. Even then, the plane could only veer toward the right.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2012/05/10/152402632/hero-pilot-in-1989-united-crash-dies

Edited by mulletpelini
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, wood said:

...and putting on her makeup.

Yeah, definitely not a myth. My dad had his eardrum burst flying in a Navy Super Constellation in the late 60s. The guy that got sucked out through the window that blew out wasn't so lucky.

Nor was the stewardess that got sucked out of Aloha Airlines Flight 243

aloha243_foto2.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloha_Airlines_Flight_243

Well remind me to never get a window seat next to the engines from now on
Every single time I sit next directly next to the compressor blades of those engines on a WN 737 I look over and think "naw, no way something could ever happen, surely they've engineered containment for something like that right??"

Never again.

Sell. Me. A. Aisleseat.

10 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

So, for cabin depressurization at 32k feet, there's about a 10psi differential between inside and outside.  I guess there's also a venturi effect with a smallish orifice.  But the differential would also seem to equalize very rapidly.  What's the mechanism here?

I see that the real potential for injury is lung damage from the inability of the lungs to vent.

Online sources seem to indicate that getting sucked out is a myth.

I think the pressure difference is around 6.5 PSI. The plane is pressurized to the equivalent of about 1/3 of the altitude, so if it’s flying at 30,000 ft, the pressure inside is similar to athmospheric pressure at 10,000 ft., or that’s what I’ve been told.

Myth Busters couldn’t get Buster to fly out the window but it was certainly terrifying and his arms flew out.

I’ll be keeping this in mind when I fly with my kids...will keep them away from the windows, that’s for sure, until they’re old enough to stay buckled full time.

7 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Every single time I sit next directly next to the compressor blades of those engines on a WN 737 I look over and think "naw, no way something could ever happen, surely they've engineered containment for something like that right??"

Never again.

Sell. Me. A. Aisleseat.

They’re engineered to contain a single blade failure. All bets are off past that.

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

I think the pressure difference is around 6.5 PSI. The plane is pressurized to the equivalent of about 1/3 of the altitude, so if it’s flying at 30,000 ft, the pressure inside is similar to athmospheric pressure at 10,000 ft., or that’s what I’ve been told.

Yeah, I was using sea level atmospheric pressure.  I'm sure cabin pressure is lower than that.  And the volume of a fuselage is relatively small, one would have to think that the pressure equalizes very rapidly.  But, at speed there could be a significant venturi effect that would produce a sustained pressure differential.

11 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, I was using sea level atmospheric pressure.  I'm sure cabin pressure is lower than that.  And the volume of a fuselage is relatively small, one would have to think that the pressure equalizes very rapidly.  But, at speed there could be a significant venturi effect that would produce a sustained pressure differential.

Once the pressures equalize, I don't think the venturi effect (is that the right term?) will be as be large enough to be that big of a deal. Certainly not strong enough to suck out snakes or zombies or people. A bigger concern would be the intense cold (something like -20 or -25 F I think) at cruising altitude. So cold that the pilots will have to emergency descend before people start going hypothermic.

26 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Once the pressures equalize, I don't think the venturi effect (is that the right term?) will be as be large enough to be that big of a deal. Certainly not strong enough to suck out snakes or zombies or people. A bigger concern would be the intense cold (something like -20 or -25 F I think) at cruising altitude. So cold that the pilots will have to emergency descend before people start going hypothermic.

Or Hypoxic

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Once you’re past the initial decompression, I would think a person wouldn’t get sucked out a hole.  It will be cold, extremely windy and loose items might get blown out but could a 150 lb person get pulled out after the initial situation?

Who the fuck weighs 150 lbs anymore??

2 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Maybe but she had to be banging against the side of the aircraft as well and I am sure she hit her head several time on the way out.  

Not to mention the internal injuries accrued by being sucked through that small window and hanging at least for a small time at 500 mph @32K feet. 

I hope I don't go that way.

3 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

They’re engineered to contain a single blade failure. All bets are off past that.

apparently not.  from the nbc philly link:

National Transportation Safety Board chairman Robert Sumwalt and a team of investigators landed in Philadelphia Tuesday afternoon to inspect the aircraft. During a Tuesday night press conference, Sumwalt said a part of the plane's engine covering was found in Bernville, Pennsylvania, about 70 miles west of Philadelphia. He also said one of the engine's fan blades was separated and missing.

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

Not to mention the internal injuries accrued by being sucked through that small window and hanging at least for a small time at 500 mph @32K feet. 

Am I the only person who thought about Princess Leia flying through space?

1515745234704.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

Sorry about the crappy vid, but I saw this the other day BEFORE the SWA incident, and the captain survived 20 minutes hanging out of the front windshield, so anything is possible.

24 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

Sorry about the crappy vid, but I saw this the other day BEFORE the SWA incident, and the captain survived 20 minutes hanging out of the front windshield, so anything is possible.

Holy shit!!   Didn’t think that was possible.  

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

apparently not.  from the nbc philly link:

They’re engineered to contain single separated blade. You can spend .005 seconds googling this is find that I’m right. What actually happens in real life is something that engineers haven’t been able to account for....pretty much ever. 

7 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Holy shit!!   Didn’t think that was possible.  

The window was originally installed with the wrong screws. During a maintenance event the mechanic reinstalling the window simply went and found screws to match the ones he removed instead of looking for the ones specified to be used. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

The window was originally installed with the wrong screws. During a maintenance event the mechanic reinstalling the window simply went and found screws to match the ones he removed instead of looking for the ones specified to be used. 

I was talking about the guy living after hanging out the cockpit for 35 minutes part!